HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 AM

I took the family down to West Gate to stop by the McFarlane store (I also happen to know the webmaster for Todd McFarlane Productions) and must say that we were impressed. My wife commented (with no coaching from me) about how it felt like a 'downtown' area of a small midwestern town. You know - those towns with a city square - live music in the square, shopping all around - and people walking about. Once they get more stuff open there, I can see it being quite the place. As it was, for a Saturday afternoon there were quite a few people there. The fountain at the south end is pretty cool - reminds me of the fountain that used to be in the Scottsdale Galleria.

Park West has potential - I emailed the developer asking for renderings of the office tower and hotel - no response as of yet. If Park West can be done right - then I have hope for the Vistancia Towne Center due in a few years off the 303 & Lone Mtn Road. The developer there wants density and height - and the city council of Peoria at least shows they are willing to give both for the 'right' project.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 3:33 AM

Glendale's downtown residential project faces months of delays
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 11, 2007 08:16 AM

Anxiety within the national lending market and scrutiny from city planners have led to months of delays for the first major downtown Glendale residential project in decades, its developer says.

But Michael Trailor of Vanguard CityHome shot down any suggestion that recent setbacks for the Catlin Court Town Homes project could be traced to the Valley housing slump.

Work on underground utilities will begin in the next 50 days, and completion should come about eight months later, said Trailor, who's based in Scottsdale. City planners have issued permits for drainage and grading for model homes, city Planning Director Jon Froke said.

Trailor, who is teaming with Odyssey Homes of Scottsdale on the 18-unit townhouse project, said lenders are being more vigilant in the wake of the U.S. subprime mortgage crisis.

"In a good market, everyone wants to lend you money. In a bad market, nobody wants to lend you money," Trailor said. "Things are taking a lot longer these days than they normally do."

The project, at the corner of 58th and Myrtle avenues, also is taking longer because of its importance: It represents the first downtown residential development for the city in 50 years.

The infill project will rise to three stories and include the renovation of the First Southern Baptist Church.

And planners are paying close attention to technical details, Trailor said.

"It is an urban development that is a little more dense that what they're used to," he said, "so there has been some give and take along the way."

For example, city planners typically prefer ground-mounted air-conditioning units, Trailor said. But the project provided for little ground space given its density. Trailor and the city agreed to mount the units on the second level and screen them from public view.

Depending on the market, Vanguard also is planning to build the Art House, a 52-unit townhouse project at 57th and Palmaire avenues. Groundbreaking on that project originally was slated last January.

Some, like Councilman Phil Lieberman, are questioning whether the weak housing market may be causing developers to rethink such projects.

The 51 Palms condominium project, at the northeastern corner of 51st and Northern avenues, has sat idle for months. So have others in town.

And the city has seen an influx of new housing units in the past year, including the Quarter, a 171-unit luxury townhouse community that Trammell Crow Residential is building near Jobing.com Arena.

"We're just plain overbuilt," Lieberman said.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...own091-ON.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 3:38 AM

3 more eateries coming to Westgate City Center
Sept. 3, 2007 11:32 AM

Westgate to get 3 restaurants
GLENDALE- Landmarc Capital & Investment Co. said it has financed $3.1 million for a new retail and restaurant space at Westgate City Center in Glendale.

The project, which broke ground early this month near the corner of Glendale and 95th avenues, will house three restaurants: Picasso Pizza, Mokaraba Coffee & Gelato and a sushi and martini bar.

Westgate marks the first such project for Landmarc, which provides financial lending services to both commercial and residential projects throughout Arizona. For information about Landmarc, call (480) 970-8500 or visit www.lcimortgage.com.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 8:11 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
So this is old, but I hadn't seen it discussed anywhere on this site:

http://www.goodyearaz.gov/documents/...9-06_final.pdf

Goodyears plans for a downtown. I read through nearly all of it, it seems pretty neat. They are really stressing pedestrian friendly environments. With this City Center project, the new Indians Spring Training facility, and all of the commercial and light industrial that should be going up around the Goodyear Airpark, that are is becoming quite the little hub.

The ballpark was supposed to break ground today, and they were going to show renderings, I haven't been able to find anything yet...but if someone does, please post it.

A while back Goodyear also attracted a few small liberal arts colleges to open branches there, so maybe those can keep growing and the Valley can finally have a legitimate liberal arts school outside of the ASU behemoth.

I also think if this area densifies, it will also help downtown move back towards the middle of the Valley, as opposed to being south of everything right now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
it will also help downtown move back towards the middle of the Valley, as opposed to being south of everything right now.
Booooo! Mill Ave is everything and is practically even (latitudinally speaking) with downtown

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 11:25 PM

Cute plan. I love the colors they picked out. I really could care less about Goodyear anymore. I just hope they get transit soon so Goodyearites (Goodyearists? Goodyeareans?) can quit polluting our air.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
Cute plan. I love the colors they picked out. I really could care less about Goodyear anymore. I just hope they get transit soon so Goodyearites (Goodyearists? Goodyeareans?) can quit polluting our air.
That'd be nice... considering my friends who live in Goodyear who commute to downtown Phoenix drive fewer miles than my friends who live in Gilbert... but eh, Gilbert's in the East Valley, so I assume they are exempt from any polltuion comments.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 5:27 PM

Rendering of Bidwell's Proposed Project - And the NIMBYs Pre-emptive strike...

Ok - so I'm guessing that most people loathe Fox 10 around here and so didn't catch this:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Its a story about the Bidwell's proposed project for the WestGate area. A few interesting facts have come up:

1. There's a preliminary rendering in the story (and a link to the still on the page - its top one under the 'Related Items' list. (Its flash, otherwise I'd have linked directly to it)
2. A nearby county island is voicing their concerns - but not about height, density or any of that - simply cut through traffic. (I'd think that could be worked on)
3. The project build out is 8 to 10 years.
4. It is referred to as 'Glendale's new downtown'

So - we'll have to wait for this one - but understandable considering that nothing is out there now. Once more towers start rising in the area (the two at Park West in Peoria, and the ones in Zanjero, and that other project I keep forgetting about with the 15 story buildings...), and more office space is built/consumed along the 101, then I guess that's what would trigger this.

The rendering is definitely unique - but hard to tell just what the buildings would look like. (makes me wonder if its just a place holder image or something)

Also - since this is in the city of Glendale, they could push forward despite what the people on the county island say. After all - they aren't part of the city. But it looks like the city is doing what they can to play nice, while still preserving their efforts.

So - what really is annoying is - this was obviously an official meeting with the city of Glendale - yet there is no record of it on their website. Was hoping for a better view of the rendering.

Last edited by xymox; Sep 27, 2007 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 5:42 PM

...and a little more info via the Glendale Republic:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...ll0927-ON.html

Quote:
They envision cbd101 as the first regionally significant employment center in the West Valley.

The project aspires to build the city's first high-rise reaching 36 stories, which raised residents brows but drew little comment.

If the project moves through the planning process without holdup, the Bidwills hope to break ground in early 2009.
So apparently 8-10 years for build out...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 6:12 PM

Here are the renderings (screen grabs from the video):

--don

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:00 AM

Those renderings look like something my 5-year-old scribbled out with his Crayolas. I wonder what the heck those protrusions are from all the roofs...palm trees???

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:09 AM

According to the CBRE website, which does leasing and sales for Westgate, Carl's Jr., Famous Dave's, and Golden Corral have bought pads at the center. There are 10 more pads waiting to be sold.

I don't like the fact that they are selling pads to fast food restaurants with drive thrus, especially Carl's Jr, which just built a new location right up the street at 93rd and Northern. I was hoping everything would be upscale sit down eateries like Gordon Biersch and Garduno's. Also, there is already a recently finished Golden Corral in Glendale at 59th and Northern avenues. Does anyone know if that place is any good? There is also a Famous Dave's up by Arrowhead. I thought Westgate was going to bring new restaurants to Glendale. I must say, I'm pretty disappointed with the sale of pads to those three restaurants. Mostly because they already have other locations nearby.

Just click on the following link and click on "download brochure".

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Looplink...0584&STID=cbre

Also, the brochure lists Hells Half Acre and Maloney's Tavern as tenants. Anybody ever heard of those?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 1:40 AM

I hope those aren't palm trees on the top - that would be super lame. I keep doing some more digging on Google to try and surface better renderings. Wasn't a local architect putting together the site?

As for the WestGate pads...

My opinion is that anything that they can do to fill in those pads is a plus. Lot of empty stores in the area. Famous Dave's BBQ is some of the best BBQ in town (in my opinion). Haven't been to Golden Corral - have to look at that.

As for more upscale eateries, I think Park West had lured a lot of those up that way... The problem with having three similiar developments competing for the same tennants in the same area. (Park West, West Gate and Zanjero) There's a lot of that going on up in the Scottsdale Airpark area, but demographics are more in their favor over there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Haven't been to Golden Corral - have to look at that.
Oh how you will grow to regret that sentence. Golden Corral is MSG laced trucker food, buffet style! Stay far far away, if only for your digestive tract.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:10 AM

Echo steer clear recommendation.

I'm pretty sure Will Bruder was on the books for the site plan for the Bidwill's project. I'm not sure why he couldn't have had better renderings ready before any kind of announcement was made. Kinda disappointing. On the other hand, everyone gets the idea that they are preliminary, no one starts to feel threatened by decisions having been made before discussion (massing, access issues, etc.) I still like my pretty pictures.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
As for more upscale eateries, I think Park West had lured a lot of those up that way... The problem with having three similiar developments competing for the same tennants in the same area. (Park West, West Gate and Zanjero)
Agreed. BJ's is opening up at Park West, but I remember BJ's was on the conceptual lease plan Zanjero released months back. I guess they decided to go with Park West because its almost complete. I'm affraid that stuff like this is going to delay the Districts at Zanjero for years. I know the six story office building is planned to break ground by years end, but I fear the retail will be delayed for years, especially since Rightpath is now developing the Main Street project. From what I can remember, Rightpath has a contract with the city of Glendale to produce a certain amount of development over a certain amount of time at Main Street, otherwise they can be fined like Mr. Ellman was for delaying Westgate. They do not have this for The Districts, so they are probably funneling any commitments they have recieved for The Districts over to the Main Street project.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 4:28 AM

Maybe what this will do is cause Zanjero to adjust their plans according to demand for the area. More hotels, apartments,more office space, or maybe in a few years it can support all the retail. All I know is that Zanjero was supposed to be home to the 3rd Apple Store in the metro area - so I hope that project gets going soon.

Hooverdam - well noted - will stay away from Golden Corral. Why on earth would a place like that pop up at West Gate??

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 7:51 AM

^Don't know, that does seem like an odd location for one. If its the same Golden Corral I'm familiar with (I dont see why it wouldn't be) they are primarily located on truck routes in Texas and Oklahoma next to places like "The Flying J" and "Chester Fried Chicken".

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 4:48 PM

Looks like Glendale is prettying up for the Super Bowl.

Glendale undergoes makeover

Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 7, 2007 12:00 AM

Big parties can motivate women to find the most dazzling outfits and touch up their hair, and cities aren't much different.

With four months until Super Bowl XLII, Glendale is undergoing an enormous makeover.

Public and private projects are racing for completion by game day, Feb. 3.

City officials are banking on the idea that the largest single-day sporting event offers the city a chance to market itself to the world and potentially land new business ventures.

They say the millions of dollars in improvements aren't just for the NFL showcase but, like tidying a house for guests, it lends focus.

"They know they're going to get the big camera on them," said Ron Prothero, a Glendale resident.

Whatever the reason, he's happy to see development and improvements.

"If that's what the Super Bowl brings us, that's great," Prothero said.

"We've needed it for years."

But the lifelong West Valley man would like to see improvements go beyond cosmetics and deeper into some of Glendale's older neighborhoods.

At least some neighborhoods will get a boost this month when volunteers paint 25 homes of poor, older or disabled Glendale residents during the Rock & Roll Paint-A-Thon, a Valley-wide event.

Among the painters will be Spike's Crew, a team of Super Bowl XLII volunteers.

Councilwoman Joyce Clark, fretting over the city's image at a recent meeting, suggested free-standing banners in front of some "unhappy-looking" private properties on highly traveled roadways.

That seems unlikely, because buses, which will carry many out-of-town guests, would see right over that, city event organizer Cathy Gorham said.

The city is plowing through numerous beautification projects.

Among them:

• Landscaping has been completed strategically from Camelback to Bell roads and rubberized asphalt was laid on portions of Glendale Avenue on the 10-minute drive between downtown and University of Phoenix Stadium.

• Like polished flatware at the dinner table, the city has planted 41 welcome signs at its major entry points.

• The city spent about $31,000 on brackets to hang banners on 62 streetlights in Glendale's sports and entertainment district. Some of the banners market the city. Others can be rented as advertising space by organizations like the Fiesta Bowl and the NFL.

• A downtown pedestrian project has improved sidewalks, expanded the area's historic-looking lighting and added infrastructure for events in the city's core.

• A small park is under construction that should morph an old gas station and car-repair shop at Myrtle and Grand avenues into a more memorable entryway into the historic downtown.

• A 600-space garage should be open to ease the parking crunch downtown.

• A media and expo hall near the stadium will provide space for some of the flood of national and international media during the game.

• And a regional public safety training facility, which opened this past summer, will bolster the city's security efforts.

While most Glendale residents likely won't be attending the pricey Super Bowl game, the mayor and City Council members say these projects are lasting improvements that will continue to benefit residents.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingthe305 View Post
upscale sit down eateries like Gordon Biersch and Garduno's.
AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest