HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 11:56 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I didn't want to get back into it, but I feel I have to address this comment.

You're being very selective; it was done against every non-English language. As soon as the immigration flood gates opened in the late 1800s from Central and Eastern Europe, French was at a disadvantage here. In fact, by the time German and Ukrainian immigrants bowled over the French population in terms of the sheer numbers that came, French hadn't even really established itself as an important language. The numbers that came even to an extent overpowered British Isles ethnicities so much so that the English language was being threatened, not by French, but by German and Ukrainian (among some others). As such, the Government started to supress all other languages (French was an afterthought at this point, if it was even a target to begin with at that time), and as a result, Ukrainian and German all but died out of regular use unless you go talk to grandparents in rural areas. As a German and Ukrainian myself, this has deprived me from learning my mother tongues through my parents, but it's the past, move on already. I have put in effort to pick the languages back up a bit, but there is no going back and changing what was done, so accept it, and try to make changes now; perpetual martyrdom does nothing.

So in terms of languages here; German, Ukrainian, and certainly Cree have a stronger case than French in terms of discrimination and forced assimilation. French was not specifically discriminated against, it was overpowered by other immigrant languages, and it was discrimination against these even "less desireable" foreign languages that French felt an indirect effect of language policies; French itself was not the main target of language policies here; it was collateral damage. The importance of French here was always much further down on the totem pole, but that's because French is about 7th in terms of ethnic numbers, ranking behind German, English, Irish, Scottish, Ukrainian, and Natives. And as Saskatchewan stagnated for decades, this is basically the proportions that have been present over the last 80 or so years (with the possible exception that French might have been higher than Native).

If you wanted French to develop co-equally in Saskatchewan, it would have also been at the expense of German, Ukrainian, and Cree, and at that point, would the French have been any better than the English in causing "soft" or "hard" ethnocide (as that other study used the term)? But then I guess, these other historically important languages don't matter right?

Or were you not aware of the other language dynamics that were present historically in my province's history?
I am aware of all the language dynamics of all of Canada's provinces. I used to work in that field. The Northwest Territories Act which covered SK and AB made English and French the official languages. After that and once the two provinces were officially created in 1905 any rights that French had were the focus of relentless attacks and suppression.

Also interesting is the fact that French was lumped in with foreign languages - which it clearly was not - when it was targeted for suppression.

Also - look up the history of French in Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Ontario, etc. just for fun.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:21 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Bridges! Someone fix this! Holy $#!%

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:15 PM
ARTchitecture

I asked a mod to remove my rant... no such luck yet. I feel bad for being such a jerk. I do stand by my points though, just not the way I said it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 4:25 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Bridges! Someone fix this! Holy $#!%
Took the liberty of reposting this from Coldsrx:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
New LRT bridge design approved for the upcoming LRT extension

(http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...?size=620x400s)
Not bad, but not exactly a landmark design (IMO).
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:23 PM
ARTchitecture

The Peace Bridge, taken this Sunday by me.

100_2319 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
ARTchitecture

Ps. I like that Edmonton LRT bridge. When will the new line be UC? When the current one UC is finished next year?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Ps. I like that Edmonton LRT bridge. When will the new line be UC? When the current one UC is finished next year?
Set up funding, then construction should start in 2015 with line completion around 2019

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 11:22 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
The Peace Bridge, taken this Sunday by me.

100_2319 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

that thing is very cool.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:01 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, it's extremely nice in person. They are building another very nice new suspension bridge to one of the river islands and the north shore of the river just off the East Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Set up funding, then construction should start in 2015 with line completion around 2019
Excellent! Which line is it again? The southeast or southwest? How long will it be in the first phase?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:04 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
that thing is very cool.
Agreed. It's a bit on the pricey side for a pedestrian bridge, but it's a show piece and well worth the expense.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 12:16 AM
ARTchitecture

Yeah the other one is pretty expensive too, 5 million I believe. It will be a pedestrian dual-span suspension bridge.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:10 AM

CONFEDERATION BRIDGE NB - PEI

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah the other one is pretty expensive too, 5 million I believe. It will be a pedestrian dual-span suspension bridge.
I think the other one is supposed to be $25 million as well.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
CONFEDERATION BRIDGE NB - PEI

Just an amazing project.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:25 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think the other one is supposed to be $25 million as well.
WHAT?! That's insane!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:39 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
WHAT?! That's insane!
Why? How much should it cost??

FTR, as I have mentioned numerous times on the old Peace bridge thread, when I have asked a Senior Structural Bridge Engineer for MTO (the one who did the Queensway shuffle) and another who designed the cable stay over the Nipigon river about the cost for the Peace bridge (and the St. Patrick's) both thought it appropriate and reasonable.

Remember, these ain't simple box girder bridges spanning a 50m road.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 4:47 AM

Quote:
:
Excellent! Which line is it again? The southeast or southwest? How long will it be in the first phase?
It is the southeast to west line, (now called the 'valley line'). The firt phase would most likely be southeast (millwoods) to dt (centre-west) which is 12 stations out of the total proposed 26. The entire line is around 27 km.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 5:04 AM

Hamilton - New $9.5 Million Bridge

Hamilton is getting a new $9.5 million bridge along Centennial Parkway to replace the old bridge at that location. The project will begin in 2013 and take more than two years to complete. The new bridge will be right next to the new Stoney Creek GO Station which starts construction within the next few years. No design for the bridge has been revealed yet.

Here is the bridge that is going to be replaced:

Source: Google Street View (Click here to go to the location in Google Street View)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidvivid View Post
Ce poste davidvivid c'est incroyable avec le deux ponts.

©Jean Claude Tremblay / Journal de quebec

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada