HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
And those date back to the original Bankers Hall design from the early '80s.

So it's actually about 30 years out of date.
Which should mean it's about to come back into style!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:50 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
47 floors? The rendering shows 55

At any rate, it's decent, but not too exciting.
The OP said it was 47 floors.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:50 PM
Community Guy

Oxford - Not terrible by any stretch, but pretty basic/boring for such a site.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 6:53 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Calgary's extremely "meh" new tallest...
It's not a show stopper, but visually more interesting than Brookfield imo. Now that's a boring office tower in the same vein as Bay-Adelaide.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:03 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's not a show stopper, but visually more interesting than Brookfield imo. Now that's a boring office tower in the same vein as Bay-Adelaide.
I don't agree, actually. I don't know what it is about BP but the design speaks to me. I will definitely reserve final judgement until we see the glass and spandrel, but I have a feeling it's going to be very high quality with curved glass for the tapered corners. This Oxford one is just ridged corners and hard lines. Not something I'm personally interested in.

All of this said, I think we're extremely lucky to live in a city where a very tall, good designed building such as this is resoundingly described as boring and disappointing. We're very spoiled here.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:06 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I want to see how different Brookfield Place will be from Bay Adelaide, once the building rises above ground level, and the curved cladding is installed, in addition to the taper moving up the tower.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:09 PM

To me, it doesn't look bad at all. I prefer the yellowed-'80s/antiquated-looking first render to the banal sharpened aesthetic of the second.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:12 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
To me, it doesn't look bad at all. I prefer the yellowed-'80s/antiquated-looking first render to the banal sharpened aesthetic of the second.
I actually can't see the second one. For whatever reason, the URL is blocked on my workplace content filter.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:25 PM
ARTchitecture

Also, let's not forget the major lighting feature in the crown on Brookfield Place. This tower has nothing of the sort.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:26 PM
Made in Edmonton

I actually really like Like it. Need some more renderings. But yeah, that's a win in my books.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:32 PM

Kinda boring but not ugly by any stretch.

The only unfortunate part is that due to it's height it will be quite dominant in the skyline which is kinda sad for such a lacklustre proposal.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:55 PM

It looks really good. That height and design would look fantastic in Vancouver's skyline. Calgary has an "embarassment of riches" when it comes to tall sleek office towers.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:57 PM
ARTchitecture

In contrast to my stated dislike of this proposal so far, I'll say I am looking forward to high res renders and solid data on height.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:00 PM

Great update on yet another new tallest for Calgary! The height is awesome. But the design is boring and dated. Brookfield Place IMO is much nicer and more modern looking. Oh well, you can't win them all. Still a new tallest is always a big win for any city. Especially given Calgary has built theirs over and over... and over lol.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:10 PM
Insertoronto

hey, I like it. Looks good.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Great update on yet another new tallest for Calgary! The height is awesome. But the design is boring and dated. Brookfield Place IMO is much nicer and more modern looking. Oh well, you can't win them all. Still a new tallest is always a big win for any city. Especially given Calgary has built theirs over and over... and over lol.
I can't see how this is a new tallest unless the floor heights are taller than typical. I see around 230 metres.

Nothing special. Not horrible either. Penny Lane for sure.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:28 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't agree, actually. I don't know what it is about BP but the design speaks to me. I will definitely reserve final judgement until we see the glass and spandrel, but I have a feeling it's going to be very high quality with curved glass for the tapered corners. This Oxford one is just ridged corners and hard lines. Not something I'm personally interested in.

All of this said, I think we're extremely lucky to live in a city where a very tall, good designed building such as this is resoundingly described as boring and disappointing. We're very spoiled here.
Perhaps we're spoiled or perhaps we're becoming sophisticated consumers who demand the best in functionality, quality, and design. I'm just bored to tears of all glass office boxes a la Bay-Adelaide. Hopefully Brookfield will surprise, but the renderings suggest it won't be my cup of tea. I'm more looking forward to Telus Sky than Brookfield.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I want to see how different Brookfield Place will be from Bay Adelaide, once the building rises above ground level, and the curved cladding is installed, in addition to the taper moving up the tower.
It's impossible for it to be less visually interesting than Bay-Adelaide. That alone is cause for celebration.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:51 PM

Little disappointed in that rendering. Its still good, they should have went for a more iconic design.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

That's . . . really boring. I know I've complained about Calgary being too busy, but that's an ugly boring and going to stick out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada