HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Shelved. I'm very fond of it.
I'm not. It's a dated snoozefest. Massey Tower, Theatre Park, One Bloor, etc are all better

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I believe there was a DRP meeting today for the lot of Yorkville projects so expect to (finally) hear some form of an update very soon.
Do you mean 1 Yorkville?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:33 AM
gettin' rich!

DRP stands for Design Review Panel.

Don't think it has anything to do with approvals. Just aesthetics and appearance tweaks that makie getting approval easier....

In the case of 1 Yorkville, going with a slimmer floorpate and increased height as we have been discussing here for a bit.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I'm not. It's a dated snoozefest. Massey Tower, Theatre Park, One Bloor, etc are all better
Other than the height and what looks like a functional retail in the podium, it doesn't do a lot for me. For something as significant as this tower will be I think they could make the design a lot more aesthetically interesting.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
Other than the height and what looks like a functional retail in the podium, it doesn't do a lot for me. For something as significant as this tower will be I think they could make the design a lot more aesthetically interesting.
I think the podium could have used some pillasters and ornate classical metal accents to accentuate the marble. Im thinking something like the new Tiffany's facade.

But I like the simple and restrained design of the tower for the same reason I like the Time Warner Center in Midtown Manhatten.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 6:02 PM
gettin' rich!

The Holts Tower will likely end up more about execution than groundbreaking design.

In that aspect, if it does get built, it visually stuns without being gwady.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 8:01 PM

I think if it does get built the units will be very expensive.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:05 PM

Re: 50 Bloor W. (a.k.a. Holt-Renfrew), I emailed Morguard and received a reply saying, "we are moving ahead with securing zoning entitlements to permit the construction of the tower". Some of you may say talk is cheap, but I say this is encouraging news that this proposal is still very much alive and well.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:46 PM
I am the law!

The question still remains when they plan on the construction of the tower. We know they submitted to rezone the property. As zoning doesn't expire, why wouldn't they continue with the process?

This is not meant to suggest that the project has been shelved in the near term otherwise I would have moved it out of the proposal category.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:43 PM
SSP Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The Holts Tower will likely end up more about execution than groundbreaking design.

In that aspect, if it does get built, it visually stuns without being gwady.
+1. Of all the proposed projects in the city, it might be my favourite. It's a slim box tower that uses more setbacks and less balconies to great effect that has the look and quality of an office tower.

IMO, it's a perfect location to build something that tall.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:10 AM
Insertoronto

well it did go to the DRP on tuesday..

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresto View Post
re: 50 bloor w. (a.k.a. Holt-renfrew), i emailed morguard and received a reply saying, "we are moving ahead with securing zoning entitlements to permit the construction of the tower". Some of you may say talk is cheap, but i say this is encouraging news that this proposal is still very much alive and well.
+1

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
The question still remains when they plan on the construction of the tower. We know they submitted to rezone the property. As zoning doesn't expire, why wouldn't they continue with the process?
I have no idea. I can only tell you what was written to me. Maybe the correspondent was only blowing smoke up my ass.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 6:00 AM

^ btw who was the person who replied you? was he an official from Morguard or just a random person?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 6:02 AM
Insertoronto

the developments are all undergoing redesigns at the direction of the local councillor to better connect them due to all of their close locations. This takes time. We should see in the next few days what they look like as UT inevitably posts an article or the DRP meeting minutes come out.

Morguard is a developer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 11:49 AM

Place Ville-Marie
Un observatoire high-tech au sommet

''...l'aménagement d'un observatoire multimédia interactif de plus de 10 millions de dollars en lieu et place du Club Lounge Altitude 737, fermé il y a plus d'un an.''

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie...-au-sommet.php

http://www.gsmprjct.com/fr/projects

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:23 PM
ARTchitecture

The model for Telus Sky was unveiled at a public event last night. Looks amazing, and it appears the redesign with the black between the windows (instead of white) is now a permenent feature! At 221 meters and 59 storeys, this is gonna be one of the nicest very tall buildings in the country. The developers say that they can go ahead with the building any time, because Telus's lease is sufficient to acquire the financing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Model unveiled at an event last night:

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Telus Sky tower set to break ground this summer
By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald | March 20, 2014

Quote:
The $350-million, 59-storey Telus Sky tower in the heart of downtown Calgary is set to break ground this summer.

“It’s part of a general ambition of actually contributing to the city core of Calgary with a more mixed-use,” said architect Bjarke Ingels, who was instrumental in the unique design for the skyscraper. “Calgary has a sort of typical North American downtown where there’s very little local population and these big corporate highrises.

“And basically the Telus Sky, roughly half of the silhouette of the tower, is residential and the character of the tower is created by the diversity of needs that the two different programs actually demand . . . We’re trying in a way to contribute to the cultural diversity by bringing in a resident population and also making the building embrace the public space both on the surroundings but also on the inside.”

The skyscraper features: 760,000 total square feet; 450,000 square feet of office space including 150,000 square feet for Telus’ new offices; 15,000 square feet of retail space; and 29 floors with 326 residential rental apartments comprising a total of 252,000 square feet.

The building will have many features including a vertical garden wall, a grand atrium/arrival lobby, up to 35 per cent more energy efficiency than comparable office buildings, direct connection to the Plus-15 system and the LRT, 5,000 square feet of dedicated cultural space, a 15,000-square-foot wellness centre, an integrated public art program throughout the ground plane, a world-class restaurant on the second level, and amenities that rival the best luxury hotels around the world, built by the team with the three top luxury hotel brands in the country.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...823/story.html

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:45 PM

I'm so glad Telus Sky isn't being built in Toronto. It gets worse each time I look at it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:49 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian

I think it's a decent design, but putting it right beside the Bow will ruin the focus of that part of the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada