HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 1:46 PM
I am the law!

Second time I got you confused with yaletown fella who clearly has a bias towards traditional styles.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 6:55 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
156 Front Street Has been Approved - 265 meters !!

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgen...m=2014.TE34.10

Ahh yes the "Bender" building - good to see TO continuing to roll on.

Put me down as liking the Gehry design - even if just because it's so different.

Also good to see Edmonton in line for a new tallest.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:17 PM

The Mailbox Building or Horizontal Vaginas, whichever you prefer.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 9:25 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I like the way you think

We call Mississauga's twin towers the bendy tampons..

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:22 AM

its doesn't look anything like a mailbox or vaginas.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:28 AM

im not sure these are new or old but im seeing this for the first time. (union centre)

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...tart=0&ndsp=18

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:33 AM
gettin' rich!

Old....

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:00 AM

I'm just glad is blue glass, that way it will fit in with every other building put up in Toronto in the last decade.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:01 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I'm just glad is blue glass, that way it will fit in with every other building put up in Toronto in the last decade.
Better than the awkward shade of beige that dominates so much of New York.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I'm just glad is blue glass, that way it will fit in with every other building put up in Toronto the world in the last decade.
Fixed that for you.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:30 AM
The New Republic

Perhaps you should peruse the international threads. Blue glass is common around the world, but Toronto seems to think it's the only facade option available. If you don't have time to do all that, I'd suggest a quick 20 minute tour of a Melbourne development thread.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:01 PM
gettin' rich!

I don't mind the blue glass.

We have so much brown concrete in this city from the biggest construction boom in Canadian History, that happened here from the late 1960's to the early 1980's. Massive nasty concrete bunkers everywhere in this city.

The blue glass "waters" it down to some extent, and for sure we would need a 1000 more blue glass towers before they would become as monotonous as the grey/brown concrete monsters on almost every block from Yorkville to Queen Street.

Do you see any "blue glass" Here? Oh yeah, DUH, the tower still under construction...

Nasty Brown Concrete Bunkers Abutting Sidewalk in Yorkville

Last edited by caltrane74; Aug 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Somebody used the term "the formal Manatee" once, and that's how I have thought of it ever since.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:19 PM
sick transit, gloria

Having spent some time in Chicago this summer I can safely say I will take Toronto's construction boom in a heartbeat compared to the vast majority of what they have built over the past decade. Aside from a few showstoppers (which use a lot of glass!) it's beige pre-cast all over the place. And massive parking podiums that are pretty awful at street level.

And I would say that one of the worst Toronto has gotten recently is Liberty Village, which features liberal uses of brick in construction! No blue glass buildings there!

But since it's Toronto we have to complain incessantly about everything. All the time.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:58 PM
The New Republic

What some call complaining I see as a public taking an interest in their built form and constantly pressing builders to do better. I'd take that over indifference or low standards every day of the week. It also doesn't matter one iota what Chicago, or Singapore, or Paris builds. What matters is what gets built here. Just doing better than the next city down the road doesn't cut it because if they're building crap doing one better isn't much of an accomplishment.

World beaters are never satisfied just doing better than someone else; they set their own standards of excellence. I have higher aspirations for Toronto than just keeping pace with its peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Nasty Brown Concrete Bunkers Abutting Sidewalk in Yorkville

You realize the Colonade, inspired by Le Corbusier, is one of the most cherished pieces of architecture in the city and almost certainly protected. That office block to the west of it can go though.

The Colonade: http://torontoist.com/2010/09/histor...within_a_city/

Last edited by isaidso; Aug 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 5:30 PM
gettin' rich!

A lot of the concrete bunkers built during the 1960's to 1970's boom have historical significance. I don't doubt that.

My main point is that the new blue glass tower will only serve to an extent to vary the streetscape of the modern downtown core, which for the most part was constructed between 1960-to mid 1980's.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 6:34 PM
I am the law!

Toronto has a range of muted colours from charcoal to greenish to bluish to silverish. We don't come close to Istanbul in the blue department. The eventual shift to curtainwall from window wall will yield more vibrant colours.

I don't care Australian design. Some of it works and looks exc3ptional but, the majority tries too hard and just looks tacky and will date very quickly.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 6:38 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Having spent some time in Chicago this summer I can safely say I will take Toronto's construction boom in a heartbeat compared to the vast majority of what they have built over the past decade. Aside from a few showstoppers (which use a lot of glass!) it's beige pre-cast all over the place. And massive parking podiums that are pretty awful at street level.

And I would say that one of the worst Toronto has gotten recently is Liberty Village, which features liberal uses of brick in construction! No blue glass buildings there!

But since it's Toronto we have to complain incessantly about everything. All the time.
As a resident of Chicago, it drives me crazy what that city gets away with on the Toronto forums. It's one thing to talk about it's storied history of highrise architecture. It's another to do a boom comparison and yet include that history in the calculations.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 6:51 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
As a resident of Chicago, it drives me crazy what that city gets away with on the Toronto forums. It's one thing to talk about it's storied history of highrise architecture. It's another to do a boom comparison and yet include that history in the calculations.
Oh yeah. There's a huge "grass is greener" thing going on. I mean, I love Chicago and could see myself living there if given the opportunity, but it's not as idyllic as you may assume from reading urbantoronto threads. Don't get me started on waterfront comparisons - I'll just say I'd rather hang out in Wicker Park or one of the boulevard green areas near Logan Square with a beer than spend too much time in Grant Park...

Last edited by niwell; Aug 2, 2014 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 7:06 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What some call complaining I see as a public taking an interest in their built form and constantly pressing builders to do better. I'd take that over indifference or low standards every day of the week. It also doesn't matter one iota what Chicago, or Singapore, or Paris builds. What matters is what gets built here. Just doing better than the next city down the road doesn't cut it because if they're building crap doing one better isn't much of an accomplishment.

I think that's a fair thing to say and being critical of design is definitely a positive. I was mainly poking fun at Toronto complainers on BlogTO and other such sites. I do think design standards in the city have improved markedly. We are complaining about things that would have been lauded 7 years ago.

That being said, I don't necessarily equate good design with wacky colours, different claddings and shapes etc. I would take a solid glass office building like Bay Adelaide or a condo like Five over something that looks kind of neat today but will look terrible 10 years down the road (my opinion of many Australian towers). I'm fairly happy with what is being currently proposed on that front. If monotony is our main complaint then it's not really so bad haha. Things could always improve of course, and being critical is important!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada