HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 27, 2012, 8:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, I think you're right there, Townie.

A proposal related to Atlantic Place wouldn't run into the same problems as a proposal for an existing heritage structure or a vacant lot. At least, it shouldn't.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 1:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, I think you're right there, Townie.

A proposal related to Atlantic Place wouldn't run into the same problems as a proposal for an existing heritage structure or a vacant lot. At least, it shouldn't.

Ahmmmmm Signal.......i think you had too many drinks in ya when you typed this.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 4:36 PM

Well, yes. A proposal to 'build up' on AP would still be met with complainers, and nay-sayers who will create a huge fuss and drama over the whole project. What signal is saying is, logically the heritage NIMBYS shouldn't care about renovations to AP, as it isn't heritage. But unfortunately, it's not only in their blood to shoot down heritage related developments, but rather all developments in general.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 4:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That irritates me so much, when people say no to everything. I support a majority of our developments. I just don't want to lose our heritage or build anything hideous. That's all.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Well, yes. A proposal to 'build up' on AP would still be met with complainers, and nay-sayers who will create a huge fuss and drama over the whole project. What signal is saying is, logically the heritage NIMBYS shouldn't care about renovations to AP, as it isn't heritage. But unfortunately, it's not only in their blood to shoot down heritage related developments, but rather all developments in general.

Townie, unfortunately for the NIMBY's it has nothing to do with Heritage. It has everything to do with the notion that they own line of sight. That finally came to light with the Marriott fiasco.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 6:40 PM

Can you imagine what we would look like if Architype's Atlantic Place addition, a revived Fortis Building proposal, and this rumoured "up to 23 story" tower were to be built? According to chris, two will be proposed in the the new year.

I want all three to be proposed just so architype can do a render. I would love to see what we would look like

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 7:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh, me too. I wish Architype posted as many renders as I do pictures.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Oh, me too. I wish Architype posted as many renders as I do pictures.
Me too!!!! I always find myself going to page 118 of the official thread because I. Want to look at the render with 351, fortis and Hilton in it. Maybe when they're officially proposed he will do renders. Or maybe he will surprise us and do a few concept renders! That would be awesome

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:42 PM

I'm going to post this here too so it doesn't get lost in the main thread

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Cool stuff. :-)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I'm going to post this here too so it doesn't get lost in the main thread

does anyone know if those mini building stuck between the garage and the proposed 2nd fortis tower hold any "heritage value".

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
does anyone know if those mini building stuck between the garage and the proposed 2nd fortis tower hold any "heritage value".
Are they zoned as heritage? yes. Do they hold any historical significance at all? No. I always thought fortis owned them. I might be wrong, I'm not sure.

Signal, you seem to be holding back your hatred of us destroying heritage and blocking views

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Are they zoned as heritage? yes. Do they hold any historical significance at all? No. I always thought fortis owned them. I might be wrong, I'm not sure.

Signal, you seem to be holding back your hatred of us destroying heritage and blocking views
there is ZERO heritage destroyed in my rendering mainly redevelopment of underused sites or infill

and if you look at a more complete view of the harbour front, fortis building i really in the middle and those highrises stop in the middle so all the views to the east of that are untouched and cannot be touched because there is absolutely no where to even redevelop

also if they do the developments right there will be minimal impact on views anyways

see:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:42 PM

I would personally rather these be in the West end DT .. so my support will be case by case and the impact on the DT as a whole. however I made the rendering just to get a general idea of how it would affect the skyline

also on water street it will look and feel the same as now (most likely busier)

Look at how this is actually just the water front .. but it will have a big impact on skyline and the overall image of the city

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Can you imagine what we would look like if Architype's Atlantic Place addition, a revived Fortis Building proposal, and this rumoured "up to 23 story" tower were to be built? According to chris, two will be proposed in the the new year.

I want all three to be proposed just so architype can do a render. I would love to see what we would look like
OK WHAT?! I totally missed that!! From where is that rumour?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:21 AM

A member of the forum has inside information about a groups wishes to develop a property on Water Street. There are supposedly several designs already drawn up, one of which would be up to 23 storeys high. He hasn't given much information on account of the whole confidentiality thing, but we've assumed that the development would be on top of the Bowring property which is directly next to Scotia Plaza (the black office tower).

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:01 PM

This might sound crazy to everyone but someone told me that there was once, I'm not sure how long ago, a proposal or suggestion or something of the sort to build a tunnel from about the arts and culture center right to to downtown as some sort of express highway under the city. I didn't believe it but they insisted it was real. Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely close to this???

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
This might sound crazy to everyone but someone told me that there was once, I'm not sure how long ago, a proposal or suggestion or something of the sort to build a tunnel from about the arts and culture center right to to downtown as some sort of express highway under the city. I didn't believe it but they insisted it was real. Has anyone ever heard of anything even remotely close to this???
HOLY CRAZY EXPENSIVE hahaha interesting concept though, what would the purpose be?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
HOLY CRAZY EXPENSIVE hahaha interesting concept though, what would the purpose be?
That's the thing! I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want to drill through that mountain haha that's why I have an extremely hard time believing it. My guess is that it never existed, or it was another crazy 60s proposal

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I have heard that there was thoughts of putting a tunnel to downtown, I think mainly for big trucks, underground

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's