HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:34 AM

City of Winnipeg Neighbourhood Characterization Areas (NCAs)

Follow the link below. Click on the neighbourhood cluster, and you can see maps of each individual NCA, including major street boundaries.

http://winnipeg.ca/census/2006/

These are custom geographies designed by the City of Winnipeg for planning purposes. They are slightly smaller than Census Tracts and are meant to better reflect 'natural' city neighbourhoods.

Here is an alphabetical list of all NCAs:

http://winnipeg.ca/census/2006/Alpha/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg before Unicity:

The West End is bordered by Route 62 (Osborne, Memorial, Colony, and Balmoral Streets) on the east and stretches as far west as St. James Street. The southern boundary is the Assiniboine River and the northern boundary is Notre Dame Avenue.

The North End is bordered by the Red River on the east, the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the south, Brookside Boulevard on the west and Jefferson Avenue, Keewatin Street, Carruthers Avenue, McGregor Street and the lane between McAdam and Smithfield Avenues on the north.

Elmwood is bordered by the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the North, Panet Road on the East, Thomas and Tyne Avenues and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and the Red River on the west.

River Heights is located south of the Assiniboine River, west of Fort Rouge at Cambridge Street, east of Edgeland St. adjacent to Tuxedo, and north of the Canadian National Railways mainline.

Fort Rouge/Cresentwood is bounded on the north by the Assiniboine River, on the east and south by the Red River, and on the west by Cambridge street and Pembina Highway.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Cities and Towns in the Winnipeg Metro area:

East Kildonan is bounded by the Red River on the west, the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the south, Panet Road, 100 metres north of Blantyre Avenue, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Marconi tracks (removed in 2006) on the east, and Oakland Avenue on the north.

Transcona is bounded by Plessis Road to the west, The panhandle of Transcona is bounded by Ravelston Ave to the north, and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and Panet Road to the west.

I'm too frustrated over the Jets pathetic performance against Montreal to continue with this post. I will be back when I go for a drive to work off my anger.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Cities and Towns in the Winnipeg Metro area:

East Kildonan is bounded by the Red River on the west, the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the south, Panet Road, 100 metres north of Blantyre Avenue, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Marconi tracks (removed in 2006) on the east, and Oakland Avenue on the north.

Transcona is bounded by Plessis Road to the west, The panhandle of Transcona is bounded by Ravelston Ave to the north, and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and Panet Road to the west.

I'm too frustrated over the Jets pathetic performance against Montreal to continue with this post. I will be back when I go for a drive to work off my anger.
I hear you about the Jets. Yuck.

Were those boundaries from Wikipedia? I found those too, but found it difficult to actually plot them on a map.

I might go take a look for one a Sherlock Map as suggested in another post.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the border of east kildonan and north kildonan along henderson depends on which side of it you live on, in my experience.
LOL! or if your a realtor. Frasers Grove could be anywhere from the Disraeli to the north perimeter.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:49 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
What about Luxton and St. John's Park?
That neighbourhood is referred to as Scotia Heights, at least by the people who I knew that lived there; which is funny when you think about it because it's usually the first neighbourhood to sink into the Red during a flood.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
That neighbourhood is referred to as Scotia Heights, at least by the people who I knew that lived there; which is funny when you think about it because it's usually the first neighbourhood to sink into the Red during a flood.
That's where I live, and I never know what to say when people ask where I live. Luxton? Scotia Heights? Luxton-Scotia?

Scotia Heights definitely seems to be the common name for it, but knowing that Luxton is the actual name, I prefer to use the latter.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's where I live, and I never know what to say when people ask where I live. Luxton? Scotia Heights? Luxton-Scotia?

Scotia Heights definitely seems to be the common name for it, but knowing that Luxton is the actual name, I prefer to use the latter.
It is all part of the North End.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:54 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
What about Luxton and St. John's Park?
That depends on who you talk to.

The "North End" has never been a formally designated community, but rather a loose collection of smaller areas. Some include Luxton and St. John's Park. Some don't.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:43 PM

So if the North End can not formally be classified as an area, it should be defined by perception. If that is the case what is the generalized perception of the area. After such a classification is made than the borders of the area can be defined based on that classification. So should the area be defined as
-A group of neighbourhoods all built in a relative time period
-Which of these neighbourhoods received an influx of immigrants, being jewish, polish, etc. etc. during a certain time period.
-Crime or poverty based, in which case the size would decrease dramatically, because despite popular belief, the entire North End is not run down and in need of repair.

My question is what is so regionally defining about St. John that would make it a part of a Neighbourhood other than the North End?

With Luxton there is the obvious fact that it lies on the East side of Main. But an argument could be made that the North End should cover all neighbourhoods right to the river. But then that poses a problem with Neighbourhoods such as N.P.D whose inhabitants (such as 1ajs) clearly point out it isn't part of the North End.

Now I may be way off here, as this thought just struck my mind, but it seems that the inhabitants of outer North End neighbourhoods and those surrounding it vehemently don't want to be labelled as part of the North End. It seems this is because they don't want to be classified as part of Winnipeg's worst neighbourhood.

But the truth is that for the majority of the population the North End is anything North of Higgins, West of the River, East of Mcphillips, and South of Inkster. That is the area most "stay clear of". So in with that mindset the North End is not a grouping of Neighbourhoods, but more of a mindset around which fear of crime and poverty is based.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:54 PM

When I was a kid, we called everything north of the tracks and west of the river The North End. Meanwhile, everything south of the Assiniboine and west of the Red was "The South End." (I was a "South Ender" who went to a North End school where there was always bad blood between the Northerners and the Southerners.)

Fascinating, yet infuriating, that these things are based on perceptions rather than clearly defined boundaries.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:13 PM

It is interesting that the city has not adopted the North End into one of its many regional census maps. Names like N.K and E.K and W.K have all been adopted with defined borders but the city chooses to exclude the North End. Now obviously the city can no longer be split into names such as the North End and South End anymore, as it has grown to big for that. The funny thing is that the North End could now be considered more central than North as many communities have stretched up along main. Last year I was surprised at the amount of growth in the last 8 years since I moved from Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:17 PM

I agree that the boundaries of the North End are a matter of perception and depends on what a person is trying to accomplish.

For instance, if you're selling a house near Polson and McGregor you might try to pass it off as being in West Kildonan.

But if you're sitting around a pub table in Toronto regaling your buddies with how tough you had it growing up, you might try to claim North Ender status even if you grew up in the shadow of Northgate Mall.

Generally though, the box between the CP tracks, Main, Inkster and McPhillips is the North End. Enough people in the areas immediately to the west (Shaughnessy Park) and east (Point Douglas/Luxton) identify with the North End that they are pretty much lumped in with it too, even though no one would say it's the "true" North End. It's tough to define the area with precision since it never had a formal municipal boundary the way that West Kildonan or St. Vital once did.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:11 AM

Ok so I have organized what I have so far to the best of my abilities. I am now in the south west of the city, (area I am least familiar with) and will now need help organizing. At this point you will see the patterns that I have gone with. If you have any objections or questions or changes you think should be made let me know and we will see what we can do. Unfortunately for the map you have to manually paste the link into the maps search bar in order to see it all at once.

Note. It is best viewed in the maps-terrain view.

I will provide the google maps link as well to make it easier so you don't have to jump back and forth.

First copy this link (Don't click on it, because it will download).

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?authus...cefbcc251aa7d3

Than paste it in the search bar of this link.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:17 AM

Most of it should be extremely accurate. South of the river and St. Vital may be off (not border wise just quality) as I have just been rushing as of the last half hour, I will edit the whole thing after it is done.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:48 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

But if you're sitting around a pub table in Toronto regaling your buddies with how tough you had it growing up, you might try to claim North Ender status even if you grew up in the shadow of Northgate Mall.
Is the implication here that spending time in Toronto tends to produce distorted views of Winnipeg? My stories of growing up in the mean streets of impoverished St. Vital in the 1970s are completely accurate, I'll have you know.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Ok so I have organized what I have so far to the best of my abilities. I am now in the south west of the city, (area I am least familiar with) and will now need help organizing. At this point you will see the patterns that I have gone with. If you have any objections or questions or changes you think should be made let me know and we will see what we can do. Unfortunately for the map you have to manually paste the link into the maps search bar in order to see it all at once.

I will provide the google maps link as well to make it easier so you don't have to jump back and forth.

This link will open the page in terrain view.
http://g.co/maps/mfzc7

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

This map looks great and will prove very useful to me... I'll probably be looking at it on an almost-daily basis!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
This map looks great and will prove very useful to me... I'll probably be looking at it on an almost-daily basis!
I will be updating it regularly until I have the entire city mapped out.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 3:58 AM

Woah check out the new google maps!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan