HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Sienna at the Thompson in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:32 AM

Like they'd build the podium now and the tower at a later date?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:11 AM

Mmmm..... TWO hotels.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 7:14 AM

The hotel portion has always been planned as dual branded. But there has never been a hint as to what the brands would be.

It's not unheard of for permits to be filed for part of a project like the parking garage in this case. But I have no idea why a developer would do that. Site plans are sometimes filed in pairs: one for site prep and parking and one for the building. But that's to speed up the construction process because it's easier to get approved for the site prep than the total project. That way the project can start before the approval is given for the building. Block 71, Austin Proper and the Charles Schwab campus were done this way. But this doesn't apply to this project because the site plan has already been approved for a long time.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The hotel portion has always been planned as dual branded. But there has never been a hint as to what the brands would be.

It's not unheard of for permits to be filed for part of a project like the parking garage in this case. But I have no idea why a developer would do that. Site plans are sometimes filed in pairs: one for site prep and parking and one for the building. But that's to speed up the construction process because it's easier to get approved for the site prep than the total project. That way the project can start before the approval is given for the building. Block 71, Austin Proper and the Charles Schwab campus were done this way. But this doesn't apply to this project because the site plan has already been approved for a long time.
This appears to be the building permit, as opposed to the site development permit. It is not uncommon to break building permits into podium and tower portions, especially if approval for the more complicated tower is expecting to take longer.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:18 PM

I pass this block every day heading in to work, and I'm constantly surprised and a little flummoxed that Magellan has decided that a single block long podium, topped by another block long 30+ story building is the way to go. You'd think that would be a prime opportunity to split the lot and build two taller, slimmer buildings, and double the block's utilization. This is true also for the project at 4th and Congress with its huge parking commitment. That thing takes up the whole damn (extra long) block... why not split it and build two things?

I guess I have to admit that this is another facet of the Austin Podium problem that we talk about often ... the under- or poorly-utilized space in DT lots.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:20 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I pass this block every day heading in to work, and I'm constantly surprised and a little flummoxed that Magellan has decided that a single block long podium, topped by another block long 30+ story building is the way to go. You'd think that would be a prime opportunity to split the lot and build two taller, slimmer buildings, and double the block's utilization. This is true also for the project at 4th and Congress with its huge parking commitment. That thing takes up the whole damn (extra long) block... why not split it and build two things?

I guess I have to admit that this is another facet of the Austin Podium problem that we talk about often ... the under- or poorly-utilized space in DT lots.

I agree. Its time the city moves away from bulky podiums.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Is it still breathing? Magellan filed for a permit in August to begin construction of the parking garage and open deck:
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=120280

bKL Architecture tweeted about this project just 10 days ago:
https://twitter.com/bKLarchitecture

In the project info link in the Tweet it shows that a contractor has been selected. It's Chicago based McHugh & White.
I'm wondering if this one isn't going to be taller than currently listed, possibly back to its original 2013 proposal specs? This most recent contractor link info confirming McHugh & White as contractors also states that it's a 717,000 square foot project.
As an example, the 500 West 2nd Street tower that Google is occupying much of is fractionally under 400 ft tall, takes up virtually the same sized block and comes in at just over 500k sq ft.
This building, as listed in the thread title is projected to be almost 25 feet shorter, with four more floors. If 500 W 2nd Street occupies an almost identically sized block, I wonder how Magellan plans to squeeze 200k more square footage into a shorter building? Maybe the 5th and Brazos lot looks deceptively smaller.
Thoughts?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSky View Post
I'm wondering if this one isn't going to be taller than currently listed, possibly back to its original 2013 proposal specs? This most recent contractor link info confirming McHugh & White as contractors also states that it's a 717,000 square foot project.
As an example, the 500 West 2nd Street tower that Google is occupying much of is fractionally under 400 ft tall, takes up virtually the same sized block and comes in at just over 500k sq ft.
This building, as listed in the thread title is projected to be almost 25 feet shorter, with four more floors. If 500 W 2nd Street occupies an almost identically sized block, I wonder how Magellan plans to squeeze 200k more square footage into a shorter building? Maybe the 5th and Brazos lot looks deceptively smaller.
Thoughts?
5th and Brazos has all parking underground, whereas 500 W 2nd is almost half above ground parking. Parking, whether above or below ground, is not included in the FAR net building area, which is only 640,000 for 5th and Brazos and 569,000 for 500 W 2nd. 500 W 2nd is almost 1,000,000 sf with parking included.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:41 PM

Core drilling early this morning.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Core drilling early this morning.
Again? They must have lost the results from their previous core sampling.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Again? They must have lost the results from their previous core sampling.

Heh. Yeah, I couldn't remember but felt like they'd probably done this before.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 10:08 PM

The permit for Phase I construction - parking garage and open deck (amenities level?) - was filed last August but approved just this past Friday (04/27). Two more permits were then filed on Friday that appear to be for the same Phase I construction.

This is the approved permit:

These are the new permits:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:18 AM

Awesome?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Awesome?
Yes?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Yes?
What does this project look like again?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:57 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
What does this project look like again?
Close your eyes and envision a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, and a mechanical penthouse.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Close your eyes and envision a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, on top of a poop emoji, and a mechanical penthouse.
At least it's not as bad as 405 Colorado

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:35 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrox73 View Post
At least it's not as bad as 405 Colorado
agreed, honestly of all the projects in the pipeline, and I'll be clear here, the garage portion of 405 is what I wish would never happen. It's outrageous and frankly unneeded. The city should not allow overkill for parking garages, it's the complete opposite of what we are trying to have DT become.

We take two steps forward with one, hopefully soon to be two garageless towers and a step back with a hideous garage tower.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 9:02 PM

Has anyone been by the site lately? It seems that it may be moving forward. Ryan Cos. (Oracle Campus) is the new general contractor, and one of the new permits filed for construction is "active".

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Has anyone been by the site lately? It seems that it may be moving forward. Ryan Cos. (Oracle Campus) is the new general contractor, and one of the new permits filed for construction is "active".
I drive by every day on my way to work. Looks the same as it ever did.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin