HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:25 PM

A few pictures from a rainy day:

Rowe Building - at least there is visible progress everytime I go down there

Soyla's, a new Mexican restaurant located in the Wade Trim Building (Food was OK, nothing extraordinary)

Blackstone's Restaurant - should be open in April

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 6:55 AM

Great pics, man! I haven't been here in a long time, but it appears you've done a great job of keeping up with things!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 7:57 AM

Hey whats up dnast, long time no see

(formerly known as wolverine)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnast View Post
Great pics, man! I haven't been here in a long time, but it appears you've done a great job of keeping up with things!
Thanks. Although I don't always plan it, I make it downtown once a month - seems to be the right amount of time to show the progress that's been made on each of the projects. I did forget about the new parking garage this time, though. That could almost be done by now, based on how quickly they got the first chunk of it built.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Hey whats up dnast, long time no see

(formerly known as wolverine)
Hey man, what's up? I recognized you by the avatar, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
Thanks. Although I don't always plan it, I make it downtown once a month - seems to be the right amount of time to show the progress that's been made on each of the projects. I did forget about the new parking garage this time, though. That could almost be done by now, based on how quickly they got the first chunk of it built.
Yeah, the exterior is pretty much finished. They didn't waste any time putting it up.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 3:29 AM

Does anyone here happen to have any pictures of Flint at night before the Genesee Towers were abandoned?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 9:19 PM

New pics

Been a busy start to 2009

2 new restaurants will open in the Community Foundation Building soon

Blackstone's Restaurant is getting set to open next month

New parking garage

Durant Renovation (I spy something new)

Missed it? How about this?

Prepping for the new parking garage

Riverfront Residence Hall currently under renovation

Complete with filled dumpsters

What happened here?

It looks like they might finally finish it!

Last edited by robk1982; Mar 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 9:29 PM

Kremlin bar of 'Semi-Pro' fame is on hold

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...o_fame_is.html

Quote:
Kremlin bar of 'Semi-Pro' fame is on hold
by Melissa Burden | The Flint Journal
Monday March 09, 2009, 4:19 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- The Kremlin bar you saw Will Ferrell's character Jackie Moon at in "Semi-Pro" is on hold from making its way from the silver screen into a real bar on King Avenue.

Ryan Eashoo, a local Realtor and Carriage Town resident, said his project to turn the old E&C Carriage Towne Inn into a real 1970s feel Kremlin bar and restaurant when he and investors lost a bank loan this past November because of the credit crisis.

"I would call the project on life support," he said. "We're just looking for other investors."

Eashoo said one of two metro Detroit investors have backed out of the project since the lender they were working with wanted 50 percent capital out of pocket from the three parties, up from 10 percent capital, plus collateral such as the building.

Eashoo had planned to open the doors to The Kremlin in time for the February 2008 opening of "Semi-Pro," part of which was shot in Flint. Scenes entering and exiting The Kremlin in the movie were shot at Eashoo's building on King Avenue.

"Some work has taken place, but not enough work to get the venture off the ground," Eashoo said.

Now Eashoo and a confidential investor are trying to find others to help fund needed capital improvements to the 9,000-square-foot building such as rebuilding the bar and improving bathrooms. Inventory and supplies also are needed.

Eashoo said he has lots of movie props and memorabilia and hundreds of pictures from the shooting in Flint to include inside the bar.

Eashoo said he'd be willing to let someone else take over the project to get it open.

"I truly believe that this would be an incredible asset to Flint," he said. "It'd be something fun and different to go to."

For now, you may just have to settle for a Kremlin sandwich (it's Eashoo's favorite) at nearby Hoffman's Deco Deli in Carriage Town.

It's a ham and turkey pastrami sandwich decked out with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato and dill mayo spread.

Donna Phipps, whose sons Heath and Mark Hoffman run Hoffman's Deco Deli inside the Carriage Town Antique Center, said sandwiches are named for downtown buildings and area landmarks.

She hopes The Kremlin opens up somehow.

"The more downtown the merrier, the better it off it is," she said. "Get more businesses down here."

I was never convinced that this would get off the ground - better to focus on the new restaurants in the immediate downtown area for now. It might stand a chance in a year or two when there are a few hundred college kids living across the street or river in the Durant and the Riverfront Residence Hall, respectively.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:30 PM

City fears 'Chevy in the Hole' bill; Cleanup worries officials, but Don Williamson sa

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...he_hole_b.html

Quote:
City fears 'Chevy in the Hole' bill; Cleanup worries officials, but Don Williamson says he'll take over site for free
by Bryn Mickle and Kristin Longley | The Flint Journal
Sunday March 15, 2009, 2:26 AM

FLINT, Michigan -- City officials are scrambling to figure out if they are on the hook for potential environmental problems at the old "Chevy in the Hole" site near the Flint River.

The city's Economic Development Corp. got the property for $1 from Delphi Corp. through a quit claim deed signed Dec. 30.

The acquisition of the former General Motors site -- which was never announced -- came as news to temporary Mayor Michael Brown, who has asked for a complete review of the purchase, which bypassed the usual City Council approval process.

Former Flint Mayor Don Williamson said the EDC didn't need anyone else's OK to take the property after Delphi offered to give it to the city.

But if Brown and the City Council don't want it, Williamson said he's willing to take it off their hands.

"I'll give them what we paid for it -- nothing," said Williamson. "I would be honored to have it."

Williamson, who resigned as mayor last month, said the Chevy in the Hole site is ideal for an outdoor baseball stadium and a drag strip.

Fears that the city would have to pay for environmental cleanup there are unfounded, said Williamson.

"We wouldn't be planting any corn," he said.

Developing the site might not be cheap.

While Williamson said contaminated soil wouldn't be an issue since his projects wouldn't require digging or be used for residential sites, studies have suggested it could cost millions to make the site usable.

There are also questions about who might be responsible if unknown environmental hazards cropped up when any construction started.

Brown and his staff have asked the city's legal team to research the environmental liability issue.

"There's a number of issues we have to look at and take the necessary steps to correct," said Brown. "My basic concern is what sort of liability the city might have and was the transaction legal."

City spokesman Bob Campbell said the matter is complicated.

"We're really trying to sort out what were the terms of the transaction that occurred," he said.

EDC Chairman Larry Ford signed the deed to three parcels at the site, which county deed records identify as 300 N. Chevrolet Ave., 306 S. Stevenson St. and Glenwood Avenue.

Ford could not be reached for comment Friday.

Williamson said former city attorney Trachelle Young reviewed the acquisition and found no problems. Any existing pollution problems would be the responsibility of Delphi and GM, said Williamson.

A state Department of Environmental Quality spokesman could not be reached for comment Friday.

The former mayor acknowledged that he didn't inform Brown of the transaction before leaving office.

"There's a lot of things they aren't aware of," said Williamson. "How can you find out all the stuff we did in five years in 30 days?"

City Council President Jim Ananich said he has no idea what the city would do with the property.

Ananich wasn't a fan of Williamson's drag strip idea and considers it a dead issue.
The idea that the city acquired something so large without anyone telling the council is "discouraging," said Ananich.

"The potential for liability is very high," he said.

Williamson dismissed the notion that the city might not want what he calls the most desirable piece of property on the Flint River.

"A lot of people have no foresight," said Williamson, adding that he sent the city a letter Thursday with his offer to take the property.

One nearby resident said the site has sat empty so long it would be nice to see something built there -- even a drag strip or a baseball field.

"I guess that will be all right," said Doris Stansbery.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 9:35 PM

Delphi responsible for 'Chevy in the Hole' cleanup, Flint off the hook

A follow up to the post above:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde..._not_be_c.html

Quote:
Delphi responsible for 'Chevy in the Hole' cleanup, Flint off the hook
by Joe Lawlor | The Flint Journal
Wednesday March 18, 2009, 8:46 AM

FLINT, Michigan -- It doesn't appear the city has to worry about paying for any toxic problems at "Chevy in the Hole."

Still, it looks as if the property -- once home to the famed Sit-Down Strike of 1936-37 -- might not be city-owned for long.

When city officials quietly swooped in to purchase the Delphi property for $1 on Dec. 30 as part of then-Mayor Don Williamson's plan to build a drag strip, they nudged out the Genesee County Land Bank -- which for more than a year had been negotiating to take over the site and possibly turn it into a park.

"We continue to be interested," said Daniel T. Kildee, the county's treasurer who also heads the Land Bank. "We would be open to (owning the property)."

City officials recently were surprised to discover that Flint owned the property. The site, which is contaminated because of long-term industrial use, sits along the Flint River near Kettering University.

Temporary Mayor Michael Brown last week said he was worried that the city would have to pay to clean up the site -- which prompted Williamson to offer to buy it for $1, the same purchase price paid by the city.

But Jim Innes of the state Department of Environmental Quality said Delphi Corp., which owned the property before it was transferred to the city, is preparing a report on contaminants at the site and how they will be cleaned up. Innes said that no matter who owns it now or in the future, Delphi will pay for the cleanup.

"They (Delphi) are the ones responsible for the cleanup," Innes said.

Brown said he is open to a property transfer to the Land Bank.

"It's an excellent option, no question about it," he said.

Any interest in Williamson's offer?

"No," said Brown. "This isn't about individuals. This (is) about a community effort."

As the former Chevrolet Flint Manufacturing complex, Chevy in the Hole comprises about 20 buildings, eight of which were production and assembly plants. General Motors started closing parts of the complex in the 1990s, and the last building was demolished in 2004.

Larry Ford, a board member of the city's Economic Development Corp., said Tuesday that the property was intended for the now-shelved plan by Williamson to build a drag strip there.

Ford signed the quit claim deed on behalf of the city.

Brown is still investigating whether the Dec. 30 land transfer from Delphi to Flint's Economic Development Corp. was legal. He said the matter probably should have gone before the City Council.

When told Tuesday that the site was being considered for the Land Bank, Williamson said the city doesn't recognize that it has a valuable piece of property.

"In order to develop property, you have to have foresight and know what to do with the property," said Williamson, who resigned as mayor last month. "Apparently, they have no one (at City Hall) who knows what to do."

But Williamson also said he's "sure (city officials) are doing the right thing."

Several years ago, there were lofty plans for River Town at the Chevy in the Hole site, which would include housing, parks, restaurants, bicycle and walking trails and a research park.

But Kildee said that at a minimum, the property could be turned into a parklike setting by removing the ugly concrete in the city's core, planting trees and putting in grass.

"It would be good to just have it be a nice place to look at," said Kildee.

The Land Bank owns nearby property, including parking lots off Bluff Street.

Brown said the city is willing to do whatever it takes to reduce blight and improve the city.

"If the Delphi property is in the mix for redevelopment, that's a positive for the future of Flint," Brown said.

I've said it before, but Williamson is an idiot. Thinking a baseball stadium or dragstrip wouldn't require digging, thus no environmental cleanup? I wish the voters of Flint were able to have Brown for a few more years (Mayor for Life?). He's reminding me of what Ed Kurtz did during the state takeover in 2002, but unfortunately, Flint will probably get another Stanley or Williamson who will screw the city yet again.

Quote:
"In order to develop property, you have to have foresight and know what to do with the property," said Williamson, who resigned as mayor last month. "Apparently, they have no one (at City Hall) who knows what to do."
No, you have to have money to develop property. Unfortunately, Don, you put the city in a $20million hole that continues to grow each day.

Last edited by robk1982; Mar 19, 2009 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:41 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Williamson is such a nucking fut. He always seemed a little off, to me, but it's only been in these last months that he's really flown off the handle.

I'm so glad Flint doesn't have to clean this up. It's far past time to start holding these corporations responsible for their waste and abandonment.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2009, 1:42 AM

$1.3 Million grant to fund downtown trail.....

Quote:
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...und_downt.html

$1.3 million grant to fund downtown trail linking University of Michigan-Flint, Kettering University and McLaren Regional Medical Center
by Elizabeth Shaw | The Flint Journal
Friday April 10, 2009, 7:25 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- The city of Flint has been awarded more than $1 million in federal funds for a new three-mile nonmotorized trail from Riverbank Park in downtown Flint to Ballenger Highway.

The pathway will connect the University of Michigan-Flint campus to Kettering University, Atwood Stadium and McLaren Regional Medical Center.

The funds were awarded for the trail project through the Michigan Department of Transportation from the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, otherwise known as stimulus funds.

The project is part of an initiative by the Genesee County Metropolitan Planning Commission and local municipal partners to build a regional trail system through the county. Many of the network's main arteries run through the city of Flint.

"It's an important leg of the bike trail network that ties together a number of the terrific assets that are part of our city... . It helps add to the cohesiveness of the urban core," said city spokesman Bob Campbell.

"It's just one of the many terrific uses for stimulus dollars that we're looking to take advantage of in the city. I want people to understand there are many other very worthy projects for stimulus dollars that we're going after as well."

Trail planners also announced that a planned extension of the Genesee Valley Trail will be included as part of MDOT's rebuilding of the Corunna Road bridge across I-75. In 2008, MDOT acquired a 1.5-mile section of former CN Railroad property from I-75 to Linden Road in Flint Township. The future trail segment will eventually link the Kettering extension of the Flint River Trail to the Genesee Valley shopping center.

At a presentation on the University of Michigan-Flint's campus Thursday, Lt. Gov. John D. Cherry Jr., D-Vienna Twp., handed a $1.3-million check to the city of Flint to acquire property and extend the Flint River Trail. The project will create about 70 jobs, he said.

The city of Grand Blanc also received $700,000 for a streetscape project along Saginaw Street.

Cherry was expected to announce similar projects in Detroit, Grand Rapids and Jackson.

This is good, but I wish that it was part of a master plan that included developing the Chevy-In-The-Hole site in some manner. I was actually looking into biking the Flint River Trail this summer (and doing a photo thread, of course).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:38 AM

A few from Wed., Apr. 15th

Pouring cement at the new parking structure

Rowe Building making lots of progress

Blackstone's Pub and Grill - getting ready for the Grand Opening

Durant Hotel on right

Still digging for the parking garage, no change on the outside of the building

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 2:41 AM

And a couple bonus pics...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:07 AM

Flint to get new downtown supermarket

It's funny, I saw a camera guy from ABC12 taking outside video shots of this buidling on Wednesday afternoon and wondered what he was doing there.

Quote:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?se...cal&id=6764351
New supermarket to locate in Flint
Sherwin Williams building will be the new SSS Supermarket
By Marc Jacobson

FLINT (WJRT) -- (04/16/09) -- In just a couple of months downtown Flint residents won't have to travel too far for groceries anymore.

Work has begun on the brand new Triple S Supermarket on Court Street, just a couple blocks from Saginaw Street.

Downtown Flint residents are about to get the grocery store they've been asking for.

"I got down to the need, and I saw great opportunity with all these apartment complexes and the college kids coming here. It was just something I couldn't pass up," said store owner Stevan Malone.

Plans are in place to open Triple S Supermarket at the corner of Court and Stevens.

Reconstruction of the old Sherwin Williams building began Wednesday. Malone says his place will be a full service, one-stop shop.

"We'll have your basic needs right here, plus something extra. We'll also have pizza and we'll be cooking chicken."

Triple S is expected to bring 10 new jobs to downtown Flint. Applications will be accepted in late May.

"That's what we need more than anything else: We need some jobs. If we can help do that, that's what we're going to do."

After spending the last 14 years with GM, like many of his former co-workers, Malone was looking for a new business venture to secure his future.

"You've got to do what you've got to do right now. Most of us getting right now, we're not really old."

Malone has creatively managed to cut nearly $50,000 from his startup costs. His secret? Buying shelving and coolers from a local Rite Aid store that was going out of business.

"I save some money on tile and stuff, and I get in and do some work myself. That's how I save money. I've got to roll up my sleeves."

Looking around this building, you can see that there's still plenty of work to do. But Triple S Supermarket hopes to be in business by early June.

Malone is just excited to be a part of downtown Flint's revitalization. "It just feels good. It really feels good. I'm loving it."

In case you're wondering, "Triple S" stands for not only the initials of Stevan Malone, and his two sons, but also "Supplies, Savings, and Smiles."

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:25 AM

EDIT: Watched the video, this market will be great for the area if managed right. I'm not sure I'd call it a supermarket after seeing the video, though. I was originally under the impression it was going to be something large.

All of the development looks great. The parking garage is inobtrusive-looking, Blackstone's looks classy...is Durant getting a parking garage? I hadn't heard.

Last edited by LMich; Apr 17, 2009 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 11:34 AM

Too much of a good thing?

I'm surprised the article didn't mention Witherbee's Market, which is located on the north end of downtown by the Durant, and is set to open this spring/summer. More info here: http://www.fnipp.org/witherbee%27s.htm

I'd hate to see one or both of these go under because they're competing for the same customers.

And, yes, the Durant is getting a parking garage (forget how many spaces). From what I could see Wednesday, they have nearly the entire back side of the property excavated about 8 feet down.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 2:00 AM

Looking at Witherbee's, it seems like it'll be quite a bit more upscale than Tripple S's. I don't think we have to worry about much competition between the two. It appears they'll attract different customers.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2009, 4:18 AM

Flint is on a roll. The changes have been so dramatic.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 12:46 AM

IRS looking for new digs for its Flint Taxpayer Assistance Center

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...igs_for_i.html

Quote:
IRS looking for new digs for its Flint Taxpayer Assistance Center
by Melissa Burden | The Flint Journal
Tuesday May 05, 2009, 6:21 PM

FLINT, Michigan -- A place most people want to avoid is in the market for a new home.

The Internal Revenue Service is considering moving its Flint Taxpayer Assistance Center from its current spot at 815 S. Saginaw St.

But don't get any hopes up about the IRS leaving town.

"All offers being negotiated are within the city of Flint," said David Wilkinson, regional spokesman for the U.S. General Services Administration.

The IRS has leased its current digs since 1995 but has outgrown its home as a stop for people to pick up tax forms, get assistance with tax issues and make payments. The office has 44 employees.

"They need more square footage than what they have now," said Jim Tubbs, a part owner in the building at 815 S. Saginaw St.

The red brick building at Court Street, a $2 million addition to the Phoenix Building, is landlocked and has a small and limited parking area between it and the Plaza One Financial Center.

IRS spokesman Luis D. Garcia in Michigan said the main reason it is considering a move is because its lease is up. The lease, which annually costs more than $259,000, expires in June, Wilkinson said.

The GSA expects to award a contract by the end of June and has solicited bids for 14,205 square feet to 15,625 square feet of existing or new space to rent.

Tubbs said the IRS has about 10,000 square feet in its Flint location but that the building can't be modified to meet IRS criteria.

Tubbs said his group has bid to build a new building for the IRS, which it would lease. He declined to provide a location.

"They are talking to other people about building them a building in downtown Flint," he said.

CHMP Inc., an architecture, engineering, land planning and surveying company based in Grand Blanc Township, has teamed with a local building company and real estate firm to bid on the new IRS building, said Ted Williams, director of business development for CHMP.

For now, the IRS will seek an extension of its current lease in the building, Wilkinson said.

"They won't be leaving the location they're in any time in the immediate future," Tubbs said.

The Flint taxpayer assistance center is one of six in Michigan.

In January, the IRS relocated its Grand Rapids office from the city to the suburbs, leaving some bus riders upset because the nearest bus stop then was more than a mile from the facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest