HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Depending on how big the footprint would be, it sounds like they don't have all the property they want yet.
It sounds to me like they have already acquired both parking lots and the Child Advocated Support Center. Now they need to acquire both the Russel Bryers Charter school and the other small office building next to that. Whether they plan to acquire the Rowhomes lining 20th Street or not yet, I guess we'll see.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 10:39 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
It sounds to me like they have already acquired both parking lots and the Child Advocated Support Center. Now they need to acquire both the Russel Bryers Charter school and the other small office building next to that. Whether they plan to acquire the Rowhomes lining 20th Street or not yet, I guess we'll see.
Well the assemblage of the block minus the properties facing 20th is already 100,000 sf. It's a much, much larger parcel than either Comcast or CITC's building footprints.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 2:45 PM
Hello

If you look beyond the rendering of the Comcast Information and Technology Center in Philadelphia Magazine, which is 1,121 feet, you can see the massing for Comcast III.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/ph...ia-new-boom/6/

It looks be about 1,200 feet+.

Image Courtesy: phillymag.com, Foster and Partners and Comcast Corporation

So in this image, you have Comcast I, II and III.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPhillyBoy View Post
If you look beyond the rendering of the Comcast Information and Technology Center in Philadelphia Magazine, which is 1,121 feet, you can see the massing for Comcast III.

It looks be about 1,200 feet+.

So in this image, you have Comcast I, II and III.
I really want to see what you are talking about, but i don't.

I do see the SE corner of 2 Logan, which of course is only 400 ft or so.

Where is the 1200 foot mass you speak of?

Are you wishfully thinking perhaps that vague shadowy sliver next to the core is comcast 3? I don't think so. I think it's just part off the core.

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Mar 8, 2015 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:31 PM
Hello

Maybe you are correct, but based on that angle, Two Logan would have to be closer to the right toward the original Comcast Tower (link below). Two Logan is RIGHT across the street from the Comcast Information and Technology Center. The massing in that rendering is too NW to be Two Logan IMO. Plus, Two Logan is horizontal across N 18th Street. That massing is skinny on the front side facing the original Comcast, it is not as wide as Two Logan.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9540...XfhR_NHxuQ!2e0

I am talking about the building between the two Comcast's.

Courtesy Comcast Corporation.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:44 PM

Pretty sure it's 2 Logan in the middle there.

19th & Arch is behind CITC.

Anyway, even if it were 1901, it looks nowchere close to even 600 ft.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Pretty sure it's 2 Logan in the middle there.

19th & Arch is behind CITC.

Anyway, even if it were 1901, it looks nowchere close to even 600 ft.
that is 19th and arch in the middle in looking at the frontage and church but dont see how that is 1200 feet - looks closer to 400-500

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:18 PM

No, that is 18 & Arch. The church with the little dome is at the SE cnr, right next to Comcast Center on its west side. Two Logan Sq is the building in the background behind the church, but only a slice at its southern end, not the whole slab.

We really should move on to something new now, as this is a silly conversation at this point. That is 2 Logan, not Comcast 3.

http://assets.regus.com/images/1775/.../2_454x340.jpg

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Mar 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 4:52 PM

^^Exactly. I think it's just supposed to be a poorly placed 2 Logan.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:32 AM

Small tidbit about this project from LSNA

Quote:
One of the issues LSNA will face with the remapping will be the proposal by the developer of Comcast II (Liberty Property Trust) to build a tall tower on Arch Street between 19th and 20th which would negate the LSNA Neighborhood plan for that location.
https://docs.google.com/a/lsnaphilly...c1M2RlZGY2OWZj

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 1:59 PM

Yup, just read that in the Riverwalk thread. Good deal.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:48 PM

Comcast, Liberty buy land for what could be third Comcast tower

Quote:
For the first time, Comcast Corp. and Liberty Property Trust acknowledged Tuesday they are partnering on a third real estate deal in Center City Philadelphia which some have speculated could be the site of another Comcast office tower.

The companies have jointly bought land at 19th and Arch, diagonally across the street from where they are building the 59-story Comcast Innovation & Technology Center, company spokesman John Demming said Tuesday.

Comcast and Liberty have no specific plans for the parcels, as the companies concentrate on developing the new tower, Demming said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...ah6dw5a0JYL.99

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:56 PM

^ Oops. Forgot about this thread. Thanks for posting this here.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:45 AM

Pretty astonishing. I doubt this would be another 900+ or 1000+ footer, but even something in the 500+ or 600+ foot range here would make me happy.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:13 PM
BANNED

unfortunately comcast is saying there is nothing coming in the near future. It seems like they did this just to control the land and get it for a reasonable price. Perhaps they figured if word got out down the road that they wanted another building the price wouldve skyrocketed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
unfortunately comcast is saying there is nothing coming in the near future. It seems like they did this just to control the land and get it for a reasonable price. Perhaps they figured if word got out down the road that they wanted another building the price wouldve skyrocketed.
The deal appears to be officially dead today. Not sure what, if anything, this means for future vertical campus vision.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 9:58 PM

Quote:
The deal appears to be officially dead today. Not sure what, if anything, this means for future vertical campus vision.
Since Comcast just bought this lot with LPT a few days ago, I'm sure they knew what their decision was going to be regarding backing out of the Time Warner deal. So, I'm sure this will have little effect on what happens with the land they just bought.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Just a gut feeling, but I suspect that this is just a relative bump in the road for Comcast. My understanding is that there are plenty of other growth strategies it can pursue, such as overseas acquisitions, acquiring smaller domestic cable/ISP providers (i.e., growing its subscriber base in smaller bites), and acquisition of web-based services (e.g., Netflix has been thrown around as a potential target). I remember being disappointed when Comcast failed in its attempt to acquire Disney more than a decade ago, and then it came back a few years later and acquired NBCU. So this is a company that's been down, but never out. And I also suspect that the folks who run Comcast (Roberts, Cohen, et al) were smart enough not to pin the company's future too heavily on this one potential merger. Again, just a gut feeling (but based on what I've read about Comcast for some time now).

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Since Comcast just bought this lot with LPT a few days ago, I'm sure they knew what their decision was going to be regarding backing out of the Time Warner deal. So, I'm sure this will have little effect on what happens with the land they just bought.
I was just thinking the same thing. After not saying anything months after this was first rumored, they finally confirm they're partnering on something here and then a few days later the news that they're giving up on the merger comes out. Seems pretty clear that this decision to make their deal over this lot public was made with the knowledge that the merger was off. In fact I might even go further and say that had they instead decided to go into a prolonged legal battle over the merger it's possible they would have waited longer to go public with this.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. After not saying anything months after this was first rumored, they finally confirm they're partnering on something here and then a few days later the news that they're giving up on the merger comes out. Seems pretty clear that this decision to make their deal over this lot public was made with the knowledge that the merger was off. In fact I might even go further and say that had they instead decided to go into a prolonged legal battle over the merger it's possible they would have waited longer to go public with this.
Ya, look at the bright side. They now have much more cash on hand than they would have if they had bought TWC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive