HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 4:48 PM

Doc O'Keefe certainly knows how to help get rumours going. I would have though that Costco would have expected their approach to City Council to have been in confidence, don't remember Doc mentioning anyone else who has approached the City, maybe someone could ask him about IKEA?

In the meantime lots of twitter traffic on a Costco move today. This brings getting TGH extension finished all the more important. For most of the west-enders (like me in Cowan Heights) a trip to the new Costco via TGH would save about 5 KM drive, can't see anyone wanting to drive out Topsail Rd and through Mt. Pearl to get to Galway, but TGH to Harbour Arterial would be a breeze and no traffic lights for the most part.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Doc O'Keefe certainly knows how to help get rumours going. I would have though that Costco would have expected their approach to City Council to have been in confidence, don't remember Doc mentioning anyone else who has approached the City, maybe someone could ask him about IKEA?

In the meantime lots of twitter traffic on a Costco move today. This brings getting TGH extension finished all the more important. For most of the west-enders (like me in Cowan Heights) a trip to the new Costco via TGH would save about 5 KM drive, can't see anyone wanting to drive out Topsail Rd and through Mt. Pearl to get to Galway, but TGH to Harbour Arterial would be a breeze and no traffic lights for the most part.
Don't worry, it'll be done by 2014...ish.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:57 PM

From what I have seen with my own eyes is a Costco proposed for Danny vill close to the water tower there now. Its going to be about 130,000SQft 900+Parking Spots along with a 24 pump gas bar. I think they wanted the target space on Stavanger and couldn't get it so now moving to danny vill. There will not be two costco's.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:07 PM

I find it an odd choice to move. The only real advantage here will be a more centralized location for the CMA, and increased parking, though the parking has never been an issue for Costco (plus there's essentially ample overflow parking next door in the Target lot). But I don't think either of these advantages for moving have been hindering it's current location. So something else probably gives, and it starts with Danny Williams. He's probably throwing down insane credits/incentives to get companies to move to Galway.

All this of course means an alteration to the shoppes site plan; there isn't a proposed store big enough for Costco at the moment. However when nothing's been built so far, these types of things are easy to change.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 8:56 PM

I wonder why they could not get the target location? Don't seem like there is much interest in it given that it is still sitting there empty. Such a shame - I loved Target!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 12:55 AM

Well if Costco is indeed moving there hopefully this would put some pressure on to get the TGH completed in time of opening. I'm guessing it wouldn't open until 2018 at the earliest anyway.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:21 PM

If Costco does indeed move I wonder if they will keep the gas station open on the east end. It'd be great to have two Costco gas stations on both sides of the city. Probably not gonna happen but one can hope.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:03 PM

Rumors is danny gave Costco the land for $0. Smart move if you ask me Costco brings everyone. Especially when he got the land for next to nothing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 2:46 PM

The site plan I have seen for CostCo was for 160,000sqft with 922 parking spaces. The drawings were based on a store in Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravelley View Post
Rumors is danny gave Costco the land for $0. Smart move if you ask me Costco brings everyone. Especially when he got the land for next to nothing.
That's basically how it work for the current location. DewCor isnt doing anything out of the ordinary.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 8:41 PM

The latest on Costco/Dannyville from VOCM.
http://vocm.com/news/no-application-...art-puddister/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 8:10 PM

Decorative street lighting has now been installed in Galway. The lights consist of black steel poles with hanging glass shades. They line the newly constructed streets off the Ruth/Pitt's memorial overpass as far as the eye can see. They have not been turned on yet however. I heard the bulbs themselves will be LEDs.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 9:29 PM

Where is the Housing Devlopment located

Hi folks, having a hard time locating where the housing is going for Galway. Is there a current entrance thats open? Thanks

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 12:32 AM

Unless you are working at the site, it's not open to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr04384 View Post
Hi folks, having a hard time locating where the housing is going for Galway. Is there a current entrance thats open? Thanks

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 3:58 AM

Any news on Costco? I've been hearing everything from contracts being awarded for a new building in Galway, to the deal fell through with Galway, to they are considering rebuilding down the street by Rona. All rumours! Just wondering what people are hearing!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Any news on Costco? I've been hearing everything from contracts being awarded for a new building in Galway, to the deal fell through with Galway, to they are considering rebuilding down the street by Rona. All rumours! Just wondering what people are hearing!
I heard Danny is doing some kind of event with the Board of Trade where there may be an 'announcement'. Another rumor to add to the list lol

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 12:54 AM

Latest on Galway, lots should be for sale in April. From The Telegram.
http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...to-launch.html

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:06 PM

Any word on 'The Shoppes at Galway'?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:25 PM

Well, I guess it's true: http://vocm.com/news/costco-employee...ing-to-galway/

Costco Employees Told They Are Moving To Galway

After 20 years, Costco is moving from Stavanger Drive to a new location in Galway.

Employees in St. John's have been told they are moving to the development on the outskirts of St. John's. Former Premier Danny Williams is behind DewCor, the company that is developing Galway.

VOCM News contacted Williams , but he is not commenting at the moment. We have also attempted to contact Costco's head office, with no reply.

Sources have told VOCM News that managers have been meeting with staff to explain some of the details, which include having the new location open by Christmas of this year.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Well, I guess it's true: http://vocm.com/news/costco-employee...ing-to-galway/

Costco Employees Told They Are Moving To Galway

After 20 years, Costco is moving from Stavanger Drive to a new location in Galway.

Employees in St. John's have been told they are moving to the development on the outskirts of St. John's. Former Premier Danny Williams is behind DewCor, the company that is developing Galway.

VOCM News contacted Williams , but he is not commenting at the moment. We have also attempted to contact Costco's head office, with no reply.

Sources have told VOCM News that managers have been meeting with staff to explain some of the details, which include having the new location open by Christmas of this year.
I wonder if we will start to see other retailers pick up and move along with them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's