HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:22 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:22 PM
Community Guy

Urban gardening!

@chrisbuyze

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 5:20 PM
Community Guy

Spotlight: Alex Decoteau Park - Penelope’s Playground!
We chatted with Robert, a downtown resident, about his experience with the new Alex Decoteau Park, and more importantly, how Penelope, his one and a half year old French Bulldog is loving the new dog friendly space!

Q: Thanks for meeting with us! Tell me a little bit about yourself and Penelope.

A: I’ve been living downtown for about three and a half years now. I got Penelope when she was a few weeks old- she is one and a half now and we are loving exploring downtown together.

Q: Are you and Penelope both enjoying the new park?

A: Yes! We both love it- well actually- she does more than I do. She gets to hang out with her friends. It’s funny- all the downtown dogs seem to know each other now because of the park. They see each other from across the street and get excited. One thing I’ve noticed about Penelope is that the park has really helped her learn how to socialize. It’s like dropping your kid off at the playground. All the owners just sit and chat on the side and the dogs play in the open space.

Q: How often would you say you visit Alex Decoteau park?
A: We are usually there twice a day, once in the morning and again after work or in the evening. It gets pretty busy around dinner time. It really is a nice thing to have in your backyard - which it basically is for me. Penelope and I can find some green space without having to leave downtown.

Q: What’s your favourite feature of the park? What’s Penelope’s?
A: For me it’s the location and convenience. Having green space downtown that isn’t just grass means less muddy paws in springtime and easy access to exercise for her. Penelope loves to scurry behind the benches and dart around like it’s an obstacle course. She has become a really social dog, partially thanks to the park.

Q: Would you like to see more dog-friendly spaces downtown? Do you think they would be well-used?
A: Definitely. For downtown dogs, the space that is there is great. The more people that move downtown with the development that’s happening, the City might want to consider adding more spaces like this one. It is so convenient for downtown residents that can’t find much green space otherwise, and the dog park space is actually much bigger than it looks once you’re inside. But, I definitely wouldn’t say no to having more dog friendly spaces close by- more green is always good! Add a water trough though- so park users can access water and fill it for the pups.

Q: Thanks again for chatting with us. Is there anything else you’d like to add?
A: Thank you! Yeah- it’s great because the park has kind of united people and given some vibrance to the community, like the downtown market does in the summer. The dog community downtown is growing and it’s nice because everyone knows each other, especially the dogs!

Thanks again to Robert for giving us his thoughts. Keep an eye out for Penelope - she’s turning into a bit of a Downtown Edmonton celebrity!

Alex Decoteau Park opened in September 2017. It features a community garden, an off-leash dog park, at grade turf, in-ground water fountains with programmable water displays, and artwork entitled Esprit by artist Pierre Poussin. The park was named after Canada’s first aboriginal police officer and noted athlete Alex Decoteau, who was a member of the Edmonton Police Force starting in 1911.

Image result for alex decoteau park
For more information visit: edmonton.ca/alexdecoteaupark

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 9:00 PM
Community Guy

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 6:35 PM
Community Guy

Great to see City Hall School using the park!

@cityhallschool

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 11:52 PM

We just walked into the park minutes ago. 3 people with 3 dogs were there besides us (no dogs). 2 dogs took a crap in the people area and 1 dog popped in the fenced area. 2 owners cleaned up including the one in the chained fenced area but the 3rd person buggered off with out cleaning. We notice the grass is already dying off in some spots from the dogs. Just saying.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 1:05 AM
Community Guy

Saying what?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:10 PM
Derp

Maybe saying that dog owners are abusing/misusing the non-K9 areas?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 3:22 PM
Community Guy

We are regulars there and I have not seen evidence of that. If anything the opposite with the dog group and gardener group taking ownership/custody of the entire park as planned.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 5:51 PM

I have seen dog owners not pick up after themselves chastised by other dog owners. I think in general most dog owners are more respectful because they know others are watching. Most people have gotten to know who's who, it's a great little community.

Some of the dead grass is dogs urinating throughout the winter and that grass not having grown back yet because of a combination of it being dead(!), lack of moisture this spring, salt from the roads (along the edge) etc. Ideally those spots need to be replanted, the grass won't grow where it has died.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2018, 7:37 PM
Community Guy

The heat soak of the concrete lines lead to grass issues as well unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:07 PM
Community Guy

What a difference maker.

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:49 PM
Community Guy

What a difference.

@declorg

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:28 AM
Community Guy

ME
@ianoyeg

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 7:52 PM

40% of the park is concrete walkways.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 8:19 PM
Community Guy

The main diagonal spine has a fountain in it and the space is intended to be for events/tents/etc.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 12:29 AM

Dog park closed due to COVID-19 as of April 4.

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 12:58 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:52 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 12:44 AM
Community Guy

I love murals.

I love BOGO shoe commercials.

I do not love this.

https://twitter.com/stephenyu_/statu...36306752811008

*the original indigenous led design (multiple artists) was far more interesting, if not too much, but the second try with artist Jason Carter could have been absolutely stunning.

Alas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton