HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
One major bright spot for the Canucks in the play-offs was Bo Horvat. He was far more effective than Bonino, our supposed 2nd line centre. Horvat should be the #2 centre next year. Trade Bonino. He reminds me of Mason Raymond. Our forward depth is still good, with the Sedins showing that they still have it, but our defence is declining fast. Edler is a big strong cream puff. Maybe trade him too, if there's a decent offer. We have a lot of great prospects in junior, so I think the Canucks will stay competitive for awhile.
A agree with everything you said. Horvat was stellar in the playoffs. Hopefully another couple prospects pan out and make the team in the next couple of years.

Overall I liked the Canucks' season, at first I wanted them to tank, but once they had a shot at the playoffs, I'm glad they made it.

I like most of what Benning did, and I love the Vrbata signing, but Dorset got paid waaay too much, I would have much preferred them signing Matthias, who has a much larger upside than Dorset, hopefully they can fit him in, its nice that Matthias can play both wing and centre. I would have preferred Richardson over Dorset as well.

Also, Sbisa, with his big new contract extension, was just terrible. Don't know why they even bothered signing him. Sbisa's Bakery was serving up hot apple turnovers all series.

Weber was bad too, he has a big shot, but that's the only thing about his game I really like.

The Canucks need to improve the back end a great deal if they have any shot at going deep in the playoffs next year.

Miller may not have been 100% but those rebounds he was giving out last night were tragic.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 3:49 AM

The Canucks were so out-coached it's not even funny. The management and coaching team is absolutely atrocious.

Canucks should go through a re-building phase. Trade the Sedins for some valuable future assets and give them the chance to actually win a cup. Get rid of Casual Kev. Buyout Sbisa (because there is no chance in hell anyone would pick him up), he's statistically the worst defenceman in the league.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:34 AM

I happened to get free tickets from work, so we went to see Anaheim take home points from Vancouver last night.

Go Canucks Go!

Teams entering ice.

Can't complain. These were great seats.

And Anaheim scores, again.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:44 AM

Tickets can be had for pretty cheap these days. Need a couple more years of high draft picks before we'll have another chance to run wild in the streets...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:25 PM

Great pics as always Klaus!

Good time to get in on season tickets if you want to make that investment.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:21 PM

Crazy, I was sitting in row 9 just behind you.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Crazy, I was sitting in row 9 just behind you.
Small world. Too bad I didn't take a selfie to capture you!

Were you also bothered by the loud man and woman on row 6 talking constantly about anything but the game? I have no idea why they were there, paying no attention to the game...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:32 PM

Haha no I had two guys next to me doing the same so I didn't notice anyone else.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:56 PM

Free tickets from friends?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 7:17 PM

On Thursday Winnipeg Jets was in town with their young Finnish superstar Patrik Laine.

Teams enter the ice.

Canucks didn't play badly, but they had hard time scoring.

Jacob Markström couldn't help but wonder how Winnipeg managed to score four times.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:04 AM

I wasn't thinking of going to see another Canucks game but scored free tickets in Club Section, so figured why not.

There were surprisingly many people at Rogers Arena on Friday evening despite Canucks' season being over already.

Our seats were on the 6th row, so view wasn't bad.

Of course, Wild did score several times during the night and was victorious.

It was a fun night, although Minnesota took the points home with a 2-5 win.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:59 AM

The Canucks are at rock bottom right now, but there is hope in emerging players such as Brock Boeser, and Elias Pettersson, who broke Kent Nilsson's 40 year old scoring record for under 20 year old players in Sweden's top league. With some luck the Canucks could win the draft lottery and get a franchise level talent in Dahlin. As a life long fan, it would very satisfying to see the Canucks win the Stanley Cup at least once.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:10 AM

(sigh) They just lost to Phoenix tonight... Arizona doesn't even get snow, does it?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:32 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Losing = better draft pick. Until Edmonton wins the lottery again.
Yeah exactly. At this point, every loss is a win.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Dear Canucks fans,

Earlier this year we wrote a letter to the city, and to everyone who has supported us for the past 18 years. Many people were asking what the future holds. We said we'd take it one year at a time. We said when the time was right, we'd talk with our families and sit down with management to discuss it.

We started the year with the mindset that a decision would be made in the postseason. But it became clear, after discussions with our families throughout the year, that this will be our last season. This feels right for all of us.

Being part of the Canucks family for 18 seasons has been the best period of our lives. But it's time to focus on our families and life after hockey. It's time to help with homework every night. It's time to be at every birthday party and to stand in the cold at every hockey rink, soccer game and riding lesson on weekends. It's time to be at home for dinner every night.

We're saying it now because we want to share these final three games with you. We also want to share these games with our families, friends, teammates, coaches, trainers, staff and everyone at the Canucks who have supported us. You've all been with us every step of the way, and we want to thank you.

It's time to let the next generation of young players lead the Canucks. Travis is building a strong culture and emphasizes a style of play we know will be successful. The team is in great hands, with people who care about its success and it's headed in the right direction. We know there is a bright future for the Canucks.

As we've said before, Vancouver has become home. This is our family's home. We plan to be part of this community long after we retire. Vancouver has given us so much and we've tried to give everything we have in return. That won't change.

In the meantime, we still have some games to play, and we still have some work to do.

Henrik and Daniel

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/dan...er/c-297574270
Thank you Sedins for many years of Twin magic and Canucks excitement!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Thank you Sedins for many years of Twin magic and Canucks excitement!
I'm going to be the controversial one: a mediocre organization that failed two talented and classy hockey players, and a mediocre, fair-weather fan base that didn't deserve to watch them play here for as long as they did. That Beaverton article about the "farewell riot" is almost not satire.

It's funny to hear the team's former assistant GM talk about how selfless the Sedins were in taking a pay cut so the Canucks could build a contending team. In my view, any of the other (then) 29 teams probably would have found a way to win a Cup and get some multi-season longevity out of a contender roster over a few seasons with even just one of the twins on their team. Instead the Canucks had a couple of years at the top and blew it.

I am not a Canucks fan but it irks me that those two didn't get a ring thanks to mismanagement in the front office. They deserved at least one.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox View Post
I am not a Canucks fan but it irks me that those two didn't get a ring thanks to mismanagement in the front office. They deserved at least one.
Sorry, but you can't blame what happened in 2011 as "front office mismanagement."

Maybe the NHL shouldn't let players like the Sedins get punched in the face without any penalty.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:07 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 6:15 PM

^^^^^

Great GIF. Yes the NHL lost me with the multi-tiered approach to refereeing games, playoffs, regular season, certain markets, etc.

I like to support the Canucks as a fan, but they don't get any of my money, and my commitment to the game as a whole is limited.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation