HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
I would certainly use transit to and from the airport if it were available even if it took an hour vs. 30 minutes by cab or pick up, but that's just me and I certainly take your point Jeddy that if our transit system were more efficient it would become a viable alternative for many more people.

I'm asking if people would use a public transit option, even a slow one, if it were available because I'm currently in conversation with the General Manager for Metrobus, Judy Powell, and in our email dialogue she mentions that the main reason for not providing this service is that there is no demand for it.

She has stated that they receive maybe one or two suggestions a year for service to the airport, meaning virtually no interest, and that it would in effect be financially ruinous.

I was kind of shocked, I always take transit when I fly to other cities, even in L.A the most car centric place on earth, I take the Bus to the light rail station.

I'd like to start a letter writing campaign to get the question of Would you like a public transit option to and from the airport? put on the ballot of the municipal election to gauge support for this sort of thing.

What do you guys think? A waste of time, or would you want transit to go to the airport?
I think if they added it as in not just extending the current route to add a stop there but making it a semi express route or something.. like say they added a route that timed itself according to the flights and went from the airport to say MUN and then to the avalon mall then to the village or something where you could get other buses (or DT some how IDK how that route would look but you get my point) I'd say tourists would take a shuttle bus to DT

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:29 AM

Road Markings Focus of Pilot Project

Quote:
The City of St. John's is undertaking a pilot project to determine the best way to maintain clear lines on city streets. Currently, the city uses mostly latex paint, which is known to wear off quickly. City staff will apply thermoplastic road markings over the summer to determine if it will last longer than latex paint. While it is the more expensive option, it may save money in the long term. If the thermoplastic road markings last longer, the city will look into adding it into the 2014 budget.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...32121&latest=1

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Road Markings Focus of Pilot Project

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...32121&latest=1
This is fantastic news! Once a few salt trucks get out and the snow plows clear the roads a couple of times you can kiss those lines goodbye. Although the overhead costs maybe more, I'm confident this will safe the city money in the long run.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 7:08 PM

WTF!!!!

Time to look into this!!

From the City of St. John's Act!

Quote:
Bus service
213. (1) In this section
(a) "bus" means a vehicle adapted to carry more than 6 adult passengers in addition to the driver; and
(b) "bus service" means a service for the transportation of passengers by bus for reward between points within the limits of the city.
(2) The council is empowered to operate a bus service in the city under the management and control of the council or a commission appointed by the council to operate, manage and control the bus service on behalf of the council and for that purpose the council may
(a) provide, purchase, lease or acquire lands, buildings, buses, vehicles, equipment and property or assets considered necessary for the operation of a bus passenger service;
(b) borrow money by issue of bonds or through bank or other loans or by mortgage, charge, lien or security on or over lands, buildings, buses, vehicles, equipment, property or assets provided, purchased, leased or acquired for the operation of that bus passenger service; and
(c) fix, determine, change or vary, and charge fares or rates for the transportation of passengers by bus or empower the commission to fix, determine or change and to charge fares or rates.
(3) The council is also empowered to extend the operations of the bus service to areas and places outside the limits of the city.
(4) ThePublic Utilities Act shall not apply to a bus service operated by or on behalf of the council in the city or within 8.04 kilometres of the limits of the city.
(5) Where the council decides by resolution to operate a bus service in the city, the council has the sole and exclusive right by itself or the commission to transport passengers by bus for reward between points within the limits of the city.
http://www.assembly.nl.ca/legislatio...s/c17.htm#213_

does this JUST mean that it has to be an agreement with the other towns? what's the flexibility with this?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
WTF!!!!

Time to look into this!!

From the City of St. John's Act!

http://www.assembly.nl.ca/legislatio...s/c17.htm#213_

does this JUST mean that it has to be an agreement with the other towns? what's the flexibility with this?
Seems to me that this just grants the right to extend bus service outside St. John's boundaries if council sees it fit to do so, not a requirement to do it.

Was out on a walk today down the t'railway. Took a snap of the Team Gushue extension work from where the trail meets the road:

Doesn't seem to be a lot of work going on there lately.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 9:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

AWESOME! It's looking good.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 2:36 AM

It's looking good, but it's looked that way since last fall. Pretty sure work hasn't resumed after the winter break yet. And I can't see this being close to completion any time soon because contracts aren't even awarded to build the many over/underpasses needed. The only one built is the Kenmount Road one and that took over a year. I just wish they'd pick up the pace with this. I want to drive it.. legally!

And it will probably open up Kenmount hill to larger scale development which would be awesome!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

lol We need to get you into project management. You'd have everyone completing projects much more quickly. I love it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 11:10 AM

If project management also means being a financer and being able to cut red tape, then these jobs won't move any quicker.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 1:04 PM

Re: Team Gushue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
It's looking good, but it's looked that way since last fall. Pretty sure work hasn't resumed after the winter break yet. And I can't see this being close to completion any time soon because contracts aren't even awarded to build the many over/underpasses needed. The only one built is the Kenmount Road one and that took over a year. I just wish they'd pick up the pace with this. I want to drive it.. legally!

And it will probably open up Kenmount hill to larger scale development which would be awesome!
Not only are contracts not awarded, the tenders aren't even published yet !
Wish the Gov. was more forthcoming on the timeline for this, given that it is a Fed/Prov mix and money was supposedly allocated for it.
BTW, tenders for transportation projects can be seen first here.

http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...3/tw_n2013.htm

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 4:17 PM

I've noticed that there are orange stakes in MUN's property facing Elizabeth Ave, in a line parallel to Elizabeth Ave from the bus stop by the Arts building until Westerland Rd. They were talking about expanding parts of Elizabeth Ave into multiple lanes - anybody have any news on this?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
I've noticed that there are orange stakes in MUN's property facing Elizabeth Ave, in a line parallel to Elizabeth Ave from the bus stop by the Arts building until Westerland Rd. They were talking about expanding parts of Elizabeth Ave into multiple lanes - anybody have any news on this?
I noticed that today too! and thought the same thing!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Not only are contracts not awarded, the tenders aren't even published yet !
Wish the Gov. was more forthcoming on the timeline for this, given that it is a Fed/Prov mix and money was supposedly allocated for it.
BTW, tenders for transportation projects can be seen first here.

http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...3/tw_n2013.htm
The tenders for three over/under passes from New Pennywell Rd to Capt Whalen Dr were only published in the paper last week and don't close until May 2nd. I guess this means it will be a couple of months before they are awarded and work can begin. What were they doing all winter, sitting on their hands? Make no wonder it takes so long to get things done around here.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 12:04 AM

That's ridiculous! They had all winter to call tenders for these over/underpasses and prepare for construction. Work could have been started on these over/underpasses two months ago.

Why must everything be so slow paced around here!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:55 AM

The government likes to attribute their delays to Muskrat Falls and the Budget. Unfortunately, that's unacceptable. The entire government can not shut down to focus on a single portfolio, only to move onto another single portfolio. Once again, abysmal public administrating and mismanagement of resources underscore the current governments record and reputation.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
The tenders for three over/under passes from New Pennywell Rd to Capt Whalen Dr were only published in the paper last week and don't close until May 2nd. I guess this means it will be a couple of months before they are awarded and work can begin. What were they doing all winter, sitting on their hands? Make no wonder it takes so long to get things done around here.
No sign of tenders for the largest of the overpasses, Topsail Road; or Blackmarsh Road. Also, can't see where there's a need for a "47 meter, five lane, prestressed concrete underpass on Captain Whelan Drive " perhaps that's supposed to be Topsail Road?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
Unfortunately no such luck. MUN is running a new underground high-voltage power line along that route .

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:44 AM

This is a step in the right direction!

Mayor Open to Park and Ride Discussion

Quote:
Mount Pearl Mayor Randy Simms says he's open to talking to the capital city about putting a new system in place to help alleviate parking problems in the downtown. St. John's City Councillor Tom Hann says developing a park and ride program would be a great idea as parking is at a premium downtown. Hann says close to 50 per cent of the incoming traffic downtown originates in outlying municipalities. Simms says Mount Pearl would first like to see a proposal.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...33471&latest=1

couldn't they still have park and ride locations just inside the St. John's boarder?

I guess tehy don't want to pay for a service that is for residents of another municipality .. when in reality it's for St. John's and the region as a whole as well

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 12:54 PM

St. John's parking problem needs regional solution, says councillor

Quote:
The city of St. John's is looking at solutions to its chronic shortage of parking spots downtown, but not everyone is ready to get on board with some of the city's ideas.

A new study on downtown parking has found that the area is short by about 500 spaces, and that more than 40 per cent of the drivers who park there are not residents of St. John's.

Which of these options would best help improve the parking crunch in downtown St. John's?
A park-and-ride system with shuttles running to locations on the outskirts
More parking garages, but motorists not taxpayers have to cover the costs
Improvements to Metrobus for a broader regional service, with other municipalities on board
Incentives to private owners to make spaces available on nights and weekends
VoteView Results

"They're coming from C.B.S., they're coming from Mount Pearl and they are coming from all over the Northeast Avalon actually," said St. John's city councillor Tom Hann.

"Because a lot of people from outside work in the city and they commute on a daily basis."

Hann said new parking garages will help, but the city needs a long-term solution

"We've got to improve the road system. The transportation system. We have to improve the public transportation system as well, so it's part of one big package," said Hann.

"But we've got to get other partners in."

Mount Pearl mayor puts on brakes
Many people living in nearby Mount Pearl travel to downtown St. John's every day. However, Mount Pearl mayor Randy Simms said he is not on board with the idea.

"It's fair to say that I am fairly negative on the concept, primarily because the cost would be outrageous," said Simms.

St. John's city councillor Tom Hann says all communities in the St. John's area need to work together on a solution to the downtown parking shortage. (CBC )
Simms bristled at the idea that Mount Pearl residents do not pay enough for services they use in St. John's.

"Nonsense. Absolute complete and utter nonsense," said Simms.

"The reality is that we pay more than our fair share."

Hann said he figures a a regional transportation plan is inevitable, and that communites just outside St. John's will have to help pay for it, but he said some money for such a plan would also have to come from federal and provincial governments.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...johns-424.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:39 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Good old Mount Pearl . . .

Quote:
Mount Pearl mayor puts on brakes
Many people living in nearby Mount Pearl travel to downtown St. John's every day. However, Mount Pearl mayor Randy Simms said he is not on board with the idea.

"It's fair to say that I am fairly negative on the concept, primarily because the cost would be outrageous," said Simms.

. . . can always be counted on for cooperation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's