HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:17 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Don't get me wrong - I'm happy about this development - but talk about hypocritical of Bellas after what they put their neighbours through during construction of The Wellington.
Why hypocritical? Did the builders of The Wellington consult early? Or did they just ram through as is the Ottawa developer norm?

And what exactly is it that Bellas put their neighbours through? Would that be refusing to let their land be used to construct The Wellington? What is it with developers in Ottawa that they seem to think they have the right to use neighbouring properties as construction access? That same bunch also closed the sidewalk for months on end.

I've also noticed that residential infill developers seem to have a fondness for digging right to the property line and then the sides of the excavation slump into it, taking with it trees and fence posts and the like.

Ottawa developers seem to be very keen to exercise all their perceived development rights of their own properties, but much less interested in respecting the rights of adjacent property owners.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Don't get me wrong - I'm happy about this development - but talk about hypocritical of Bellas after what they put their neighbours through during construction of The Wellington.
I was thinking about that too, but I can't help but get excited considering what Mizrahi has done in the Yorkville area. The blocks immediately east and west of Island Park along Richmond-Wellington West seems to be developing its own flavour.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Why hypocritical? Did the builders of The Wellington consult early? Or did they just ram through as is the Ottawa developer norm?

And what exactly is it that Bellas put their neighbours through? Would that be refusing to let their land be used to construct The Wellington? .
Bella's refused temporary access to a small strip of their parking lot to allow Theberge to finish off the brickwork on the west side of the Wellington. This led to extra costs and delays to the building exterior being completed.

I'm all for this new development, though I still won't frequent Bella's in their new location.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 3:42 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exewau View Post
Bella's refused temporary access to a small strip of their parking lot to allow Theberge to finish off the brickwork on the west side of the Wellington. This led to extra costs and delays to the building exterior being completed.
How could that have lead to extra costs and delays? If Bella's had agreed, it might have resulted in savings in cost and time, but their refusal did not lead to extra costs and delays. I'm afraid you've got your zero point in the wrong place.

Developers can't go about assuming they'll be able to use neighbouring properties for access when they build things. Indeed, had the project that is the subject of this thread been built first, then the land access to speed up the brickwork on The Wellington wouldn't have even existed... nor of course will such access exist for the current project either given that The Wellington is already there.

Quote:
I'm all for this new development, though I still won't frequent Bella's in their new location.
Well you're hardly a disinterested observer, are you? You're annoyed at The Wellington taking longer to build, but the party to blame for that is not Bella's but the developers and builders of The Wellington.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
How could that have lead to extra costs and delays? If Bella's had agreed, it might have resulted in savings in cost and time, but their refusal did not lead to extra costs and delays. I'm afraid you've got your zero point in the wrong place.
The developer had to use a different scaffold system for the west side of the building, coming down from the roof as opposed to going up from street level as shown in the front of the building. The developer was not allowed to "tent" the side of the building during the colder weather to allow the mortar to set while doing the brickwork.

Quote:
Well you're hardly a disinterested observer, are you? You're annoyed at The Wellington taking longer to build, but the party to blame for that is not Bella's but the developers and builders of The Wellington.
Correct, as I live in The Wellington I do have an interest in the neighbourhood, but I find it strange that a business would alienate a new potential customer base right next door, especially when there are plenty of other great restaurants within walking distance.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exewau View Post
The developer had to use a different scaffold system for the west side of the building, coming down from the roof as opposed to going up from street level as shown in the front of the building. The developer was not allowed to "tent" the side of the building during the colder weather to allow the mortar to set while doing the brickwork.
If the developer is telling people they lost time and money on account of this, they are lying.

No estimator or risk manager in his right mind (let alone their bosses) would cost a project on such a risky assumption as "we can use their property"

Can you imagine how ridiculous this would sound if the two parties were different?
ie:
build a school? no problem, we just need these 13 backyards for a couple summers.
build that community center? no problem, we'll just need to shut this road for 5 months.
build this office tower? ...

you get the idea.

They may have been hoping for some additional profit by working from the ground up, but there's not a snowballs chance they didn't discuss this AD NAUSEAM in advance.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:57 PM

Ashcroft has been doing it to the school next door in the Sisters development for over a year - with nothing in return for the school. they've fenced off about 5000 sq ft of school yard.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 11:47 PM

The Mizrahi Developments sign is up at Richmond and Island Park.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:04 PM

Rendering from the Island Park Community Association. Looks a lot like their Toronto projects (a good thing in my opinion).

There's an article on the WVCA blog giving an update on the project.

http://blog.westwellington.ca/news/u...usly-proshine/

*Post revised since the WVCA removed the other rendering from their blog.

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Dec 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 3:21 PM

Reading the article, I'm surprised the community association isn't supporting this project. This developer seems to have bent over backwards to get the community association involved. Allowing them to choose between two final designs, being honest from the beginning at the number of floors they'd want to build, and meeting with the community before there was even a proposal and committing to their suggestions in writing. The association mentioned the height increase is to help with commercial viability, but they still won't support it. If I was a developer, this process would say to me that the play nice approach doesn't work in dealing with community associations.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:06 PM

Very nice looking original rendering. I hope the final product resembles this - but I won't hold my breathe.
I love the little details they added to the railings and roof top - something local developers should notice. You don't have to go all out to design an appealing project, but a little attention to detail goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Rendering from the Wellington Village Community Association website. Looks a lot like their Toronto projects (a good thing in my opinion).

There's an article on their blog giving an update on the project.

http://blog.westwellington.ca/news/u...usly-proshine/

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 4:08 PM

Great developer. For those of you unfamiliar with Mizrahi check out their site and some of their past projects. Looks like Charlesfort is going to have some stiff competition.
http://www.mizrahidevelopments.com/#/intro

Quote:
The Mizrahi Developments sign is up at Richmond and Island Park.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Reading the article, I'm surprised the community association isn't supporting this project. This developer seems to have bent over backwards to get the community association involved. Allowing them to choose between two final designs, being honest from the beginning at the number of floors they'd want to build, and meeting with the community before there was even a proposal and committing to their suggestions in writing. The association mentioned the height increase is to help with commercial viability, but they still won't support it. If I was a developer, this process would say to me that the play nice approach doesn't work in dealing with community associations.
Having attended many of the meetings for Hintonburg, I'm not surprised. You usually get a lot of angry people who don't want anything to happen, with many being unreasonable (and ill-informed, if I may add). Even if you give people what they want, they'll never be happy.

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Nov 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 11:04 PM
inner city

I love that rendering and proposal.
But wow -- that will really change the immediate streetscape dramatically.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 11:15 PM

like the detail, like the lines; but -- at least in that one render -- I'm not sure how I feel about the effect it gives of a smaller version of the building sitting on top of a larger one, like a wedding cake.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 11:29 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 11:32 PM
National Capital Region

I think with a good Section 37 agreement (community benefits) Council may approve this or at least somewhere between 9 and 12 floors... for example the developer could pay to make a nice public space at the NE corner of Wellington St W and Island Park as is encouraged in the CDP.

http://ottawa.ca/en/official-plan-0/...secondary-plan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 12:44 AM

Wow! Yes, please! Build this, please, Mizrahi!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:57 AM
Living With My Mother

I'm liking it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 3:36 AM

That's... amazing. Beautiful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa