HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Two Gotham Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 2:57 PM
BANNED

I saw this when I was driving to LaGuardia, and it looks really nice!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 1:02 AM

I drove by this on my way to JFK!

It is a nice building with sleek glass...I was wondering what it was.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 3:33 AM

No permits on the new phases yet. Here's a few photos from June...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 7:48 PM

MOAR!

]

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 8:16 PM
BANNED

This is similar to the newest Bank of America tower in Charlotte.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 6:31 PM

I may or may not have mentioned it in this thread previously, but it reminds me of the Northrop Grumman Towers in Rosslyn, VA.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 6:23 PM
BROOKLYN

Any updates? Just curious

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
Out of the three new LIC office stumps, this one is my favorite. At least it has some dignity.

And I have high hopes for new phases. What company wouldn't want an office here? Class A, just one subway stop away from Midtown Manhattan yet it probably costs half as much, and commuters from Long Island wouldn't have to deal with all the Manhattan traffic, crowds, etc. Of course, most of us urbanites would prefer the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, but that's not the case with all white collar suburban dwellers.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 2:43 AM

So this building is almost, if not entirely leased to the NYC DOHMH. It seems that they are beginning to push the second Phase. I'd love to see it happen, as it's supposed to be over twice as tall. Also, the stump farthest right is actually a screwtop. They intended to have some 20+ more floors on top, but ran out of demand. I suspect the rest of the tower will be built eventually. I don't have other photos handy at the moment, but I'll get some eventually when we thaw out just a little.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
So this building is almost, if not entirely leased to the NYC DOHMH. It seems that they are beginning to push the second Phase. I'd love to see it happen, as it's supposed to be over twice as tall. Also, the stump farthest right is actually a screwtop. They intended to have some 20+ more floors on top, but ran out of demand. I suspect the rest of the tower will be built eventually. I don't have other photos handy at the moment, but I'll get some eventually when we thaw out just a little.
I was excited when I first saw the renders for the "screwtop" tower. However, my hopes were significantly let down when not only did I realize that they're only building Phase 1 for now (and I doubt that they will build the extra height any time within at least the next ten years), but that it also features an atrocious, Manhattan-facing blank wall. I understand that it's a lot edge wall, but I also doubt that that site will see any construction any time soon, and I've seen MUCH better lot facing walls around the city. Even as far as blank walls go, this one is one of the worst offenders I've ever seen.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:06 PM

There's a matching blank wall on the building next to it facing the other direction. That lot is owned by Rockrose (or maybe TF Cornerstone now) and will apparently begin to climb in the next few months. You're right, though. The Manhattan facing blank wall is the pits.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:11 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2011-01...am_Center.html

Health Department Starts Move Into Gotham Center

BY RICHARD GENTILVISO
January 5, 2011

Quote:
Queens Plaza will have about 4,000 new denizens beginning this month when about 4,000 employees of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene start moving in from locations in Mid- and Lower Manhattan to new offices at Two Gotham Center.

The 21-story, 662,000-square-foot office tower replaced the Queens Plaza Municipal Parking Garage at the corner of Queens Plaza and 28th Street and has more than 180 parking spaces and 9,400 square feet of retail space on the ground floor.

“For decades, Long Island City has been talked about as an area with growth potential,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at the October 2008 announcement of the project. “Gotham Center will be a further catalyst for growth in the area.

“The relocation of the Department of Health staff to the state-of-the-art facility will increase its operational efficiencies, consolidating units that are now dispersed. The new space will incorporate our new open space standards for city office space, designed to foster greater collaboration and a better workplace environment,” Bloomberg added.

The location of many non-field-based Health Department staff at Gotham Center is part of the goal of locating agency headquarters wherever possible under one roof for operational efficiencies and an improved work environment.

The five-level municipal parking garage was opened in 1976 and was vacant since February 2008. Demolition began in October 2008 and construction of Gotham Center topped out in March 2010. Health Department employees will all be in by late 2011.

Two Gotham Center uses new open space standards that are already employed by several other city agencies, including the Department of Transportation, the Department of Education, the Mayor’s Office of Film, Theater and Broadcasting, the Department of Consumer Affairs, the Department of Information, Technology and Telecommunications and the Mayor’s Office.

“[Gotham Center] will bring much needed economic activity in grand new buildings at the gateway to Queens,” Queens Borough President Helen Marshall said in the city’s October 2008 press release. “It proves that our efforts to bring jobs and renewal through rezoning works. [Gotham Center] will join our other marquee successes in the area, including the new Citicorp Tower and the United Nations Credit Union.”

“This is a double win for the city,” Queens Economic Development Corporation President Seth Pinsky said in the city release. “In addition to jump starting the redevelopment of Long Island City and realizing Mayor Bloomberg’s vision of turning the area into our fourth central business district, this impressive project will also help one of the city’s major agencies.”

Two Gotham Center is the first phase of a proposed 3.5-million-square-foot Gotham Center development. Two Gotham Center was designed by Moed De Armas & Shannon and achieves LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Buildings Council for its interiors, as well as LEED Certification for its core and shell.

The Long Island City area will also benefit from a $40 million beautification project that includes a new public plaza, new plantings, lighting, street furniture and a public median from Queens Plaza to the East River.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 12:29 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ Coolbeanz, too bad they do not mention the rest of the project's progress. At least the building will soon be occupied.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 3:50 AM

I talked to a guy in front who confirmed that the building had been fully leased out. He said they would be done by February, and he said they still had no plans for proceeding on the second phase of the project yet.

My Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34734039@N04/

Last edited by JSsocal; Jan 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
From this angle it looks like somebody cut off the top half of 7WTC and plopped it into Queens.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 4:18 AM

probably should move this one over to completed.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 5:52 AM
Everywhere all at once

I never saw those photos until now JSsocal, thanks for them.

Loving every minute of this

P.s. thanks tommaso for pointing all these out that need to be moved, I didn't realize they hadn't been. Please could a moderator move them for us? Thanks guys

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive