HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:27 PM

Apparently still "a couple years away" until shovels hit the ground on this one.

Link: http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...-magazine-poll

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
Apparently still "a couple years away" until shovels hit the ground on this one.

Link: http://www.obj.ca/index.php/article/...-magazine-poll
It says the building isn't scheduled to be completed for a few years, not that shovels won't be in the ground for another few years.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 3:07 PM

Anyone know how sales are going?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I was in the sales office about a month ago. There were still plenty of units to choose from (if you've got that kind of money). According to the sales rep, construction is scheduled to start in January 2019 (though that date might just be part of the standard sales pitch).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 2:46 PM

From the Councillor:

Quote:
...as part of the future development at the Mizrahi site (1445-1451 Wellington St W), there will be a new urban park. In May 2016 we hosted community consultations for this new park, and staff have now prepared the final design.

Named Rockhurst Park, the park will feature decorative plantings, which include a variety of trees, shrubs and perennials. The highlight of the new park will be a unique water feature and water play area towards Rockhurst. The existing grass berm and coniferous trees will remain, secured with retaining walls and benches amongst some paved walkways...
http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/r...e-final-design

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:21 PM

^Wow, I'm impressed, looks like it could be really nice.

Ottawa is so behind or lazy when it comes to park and public plazas and such. I know Vancouver has better weather but they are miles ahead when it comes to urban parks and seating and landscaping etc...

We usually settle for grass fields and perhaps a garbage bin.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^Wow, I'm impressed, looks like it could be really nice.

Ottawa is so behind or lazy when it comes to park and public plazas and such. I know Vancouver has better weather but they are miles ahead when it comes to urban parks and seating and landscaping etc...

Right! Don't forget loads of parking so everybody can drive to the park

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:00 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I don't know...I was at Andrew Haydon park for the first time in decades last weekend and it was pretty nice.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I don't know...I was at Andrew Haydon park for the first time in decades last weekend and it was pretty nice.
I would argue that's the exception, not the rule.

See
-Hogs Back Park
-Bilings Park
-Anywhere along Riverside Drive north of Heron
-Anywhere along the Sir John A Parkway
-Clifford Allen Park
-Bayview/Lebreton
-Etc

Most "park space" in Ottawa don't include benches, lamp posts, fountains, landscaping, kid spaces or playgrounds, etc. Therefore nothing to animate the space or have people "do" anything there... You may look or sit on the grass (or usually drive through the space) but that's it...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:26 PM

You've clearly never been to Confederation or Strathcona parks before.

Quote:
I would argue that's the exception, not the rule.

See
-Hogs Back Park
-Bilings Park
-Anywhere along Riverside Drive north of Heron
-Anywhere along the Sir John A Parkway
-Clifford Allen Park
-Bayview/Lebreton
-Etc

Most "park space" in Ottawa don't include benches, lamp posts, fountains, landscaping, kid spaces or playgrounds, etc. Therefore nothing to animate the space or have people "do" anything there... You may look or sit on the grass (or usually drive through the space) but that's it...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:25 PM

and Hog's Back has an amazing waterfall, with a licensed Casse Croute on a terrasse with lots of places to sit in the sun or shade, and it's just one pearl on a string of parks with different degrees and types of animation, if it's not enough for your purposes, carry on on the path for 2 minutes and you're at Mooney's Bay. The specific attraction at Billings is that there's not much going on there, and it's a quiet place to look at / feed the ducks and swans, again if you want something more animated, Windsor Park and Brewer Park are just a few hundred metres away (recognizing that it would be nice if Billings Bridge was a bit more welcoming to non-motorized users).

Honestly, people complain about the weirdest stuff around here sometimes.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Where's this mythical garbage bin?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Simpson View Post
You've clearly never been to Confederation or Strathcona parks before.
I have... hence why those were not included on my list. I love Confed park. But I also think that Ottawa, a national capital with over 1M in population should have much more "vibrant" or inviting parks than the 2-3 small ones we currently have and the abundance of empty grass fields.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I have... hence why those were not included on my list. I love Confed park. But I also think that Ottawa, a national capital with over 1M in population should have much more "vibrant" or inviting parks than the 2-3 small ones we currently have and the abundance of empty grass fields.
Ottawa has much more than 2-3 small parks.

Ottawa, I would argue, has too much "green space" overall, and certainly too much wasteful, useless, pointless "green space", including a lot of parks that exist for no other reason than to satisfy some arbitrary quota.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 4:36 PM

To me, Ottawa is like a Miniature version of the Washington D.C/Georgetown district...a mix of old and new, with mature trees, and parks scattered everywhere. Things are actually nicer here than some of the areas in Southern Ontario...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
To me, Ottawa is like a Miniature version of the Washington D.C/Georgetown district...a mix of old and new, with mature trees, and parks scattered everywhere. Things are actually nicer here than some of the areas in Southern Ontario...
Agree in principle, though to be fair, Southern Ontario does not exactly represent the pinnacle of urban design.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 5:29 PM
Kickass User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
They are over 50% sold, but that is from a few weeks ago. The salesperson was away, so it is or should be further along now.

www.MattRichling.com
www.NewPurveyors.com

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Ottawa has much more than 2-3 small parks.

Ottawa, I would argue, has too much "green space" overall, and certainly too much wasteful, useless, pointless "green space", including a lot of parks that exist for no other reason than to satisfy some arbitrary quota.
I think the city does a good job of managing its green space - there are many well animated parks scattered through both the urban and suburban area, with some larger feature parks. If you go for a walk, bike or drive, you're sure to find well used smaller parks you've never noticed before, sometimes just a block or two away from a larger parks or facilities. You also see other facilities, like the Sawmill Creek wetlands for example, which is a functional utility disguised as an active transportation corridor and green space.

The issue seems to lie with the feds, where there is a lot of grass and trees without any animation to go along with it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The issue seems to lie with the feds, where there is a lot of grass and trees without any animation to go along with it.
There is also an issue with the city's fixation on some notional required amount of "green space" in new suburban areas, which just leads to pointless stupid green blobs on a map that in many cases are devoid of human use.

There is a theory about how people use green space. There is also a practice. The city's parks policies should be based on the latter.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 2:03 AM

Article by OBJ, marked as sponsored content (pretty clear to see when reading the piece). More pictures and a video on the site.

Quote:
1451 Wellington creates five-star living in the heart of Ottawa

OBJ, July 30

Mizrahi Developments preparing to break ground on Westboro site

If Westboro is the best neighbourhood in Ottawa, then 1451 Wellington is its crown jewel – and construction on the boutique condo, a Mizrahi Developments project, is closer than ever to breaking ground.

Construction of the 12-storey luxury condo tower is scheduled to start in early 2019, though the project has been in the works for years.

In 2012, Sam Mizrahi, the firm’s president and founder, set out to find a location for his first build in Ottawa.

The goal was to find a site fit for a landmark, the likes of which has never been seen in the nation’s capital.

“It really has no rival. It’s one of a kind,” says Mizrahi.

The building, which is slated for completion in June 2021, has distinguished itself from other condo developments around the city with its prime location, one-of-a-kind architecture and luxurious amenities and design.

Ottawa's best neighbourhood

Located on the north-east corner at the intersection of Island Park Drive and Wellington Street West, the condo tower will stand on a gateway site between Westboro Village, Wellington West and the scenic driveway leading to the Ottawa River and into Québec.

The surrounding area is rich with restaurants and boutiques, as well as lush, waterfront green space.

The development is a stone’s throw from the downtown core and LeBreton Flats, which was recently announced as the future home of the Ottawa Senators NHL team. And for homeowners looking to go beyond central Ottawa, the Queensway is located just down the road.

“We’re very excited to be in a neighbourhood like Westboro that’s really transformative and changing, and to be part of that transformation with anchoring a landmark
building,” says Mizrahi.

During the application and consultation process, Mizrahi Developments ultimately earned a “landmark” designation for 1451 Wellington – an honour rarely bestowed on a
building that had yet to be constructed.

When completed, 1451 Wellington will feature a copper mansard roof with a spire, an ode to Parliament Hill’s iconic Peace Tower.

“We hope that it inspires other developers to do more types of buildings like this,” says Mizrahi.

Super luxury

In addition to the architecture and location of the development, the interior of the building – including its amenities and design – also stands to set it apart from other condos in Ottawa.

Residents will be able to enjoy the features of a five-star hotel from the comfort of their own homes. Amenities include and valet parking, a saltwater swimming pool, a high-end fitness retreat and an on-site car wash, among other things.

A 24/7 concierge will also be available to receive deliveries on behalf of homeowners and to assist with other hospitality services, including making dinner reservations,
purchasing tickets to performances or sporting events as well as scheduling housekeeping or other in-home services.

All condo units will be equipped with smart home technologies, which will be used to control both climate and security features.

“It’s a home in the capital which gives you the amenities of a five-star boutique hotel, but you don’t have the issues you’d otherwise have with homeownership,” says Mizrahi.

The developer has placed a great deal of emphasis on ensuring the building feels like a true home for its residents.

As Mizrahi explains, condominium developments across Canada typically only offer buyers a handful of cosmetic finishes for customizing their units.

However, Mizrahi Developments is going a step further in allowing 1451 Wellington residents to customize their new homes.

In addition to offering expertly-designed floorplans, it also offers custom suites that allow homeowners to customize their floorplans and perform a full fit up of their space to their liking.

Community building

Now in its 10th year, Mizrahi Developments has established itself as a firm that cares about the communities it builds in. From the outset, the developer placed significance on consultations with neighbours and other local residents and businesses.

“One of the most important things for us is that we collaborated with the community to build something,” says Mizrahi. “The building evolved, in response to the voice of the city.”

Among the highest compliments Mizrahi has received is from those who have already bought homes in the building encouraging their friends to follow suit. And though many of the 95 units in the building were snapped up during the soft launch and pre-sale, there are still homes available at 1451 Wellington.

The presentation gallery is open on the future site of the building, at 1451 Wellington St. West. Contact Jonny Cracower (613.798.4663 or jonny@mizrahidevelopments.ca) for more info. You can also peruse the development online at 1451Wellington.ca.
http://obj.ca/article/1451-wellingto...g-heart-ottawa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa