HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There is no equivalent to PdO on the West side. All Western suburbs basically share Bayshore.
*And Carlingwood, which is still a major mall, although it's prospects are dim without Sears

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 12:56 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
There is no equivalent to PdO on the West side. All Western suburbs basically share Bayshore.
This is correct.

And the east end also has St-Laurent which rivals Place d'Orléans. There is no equivalent to this in the west end - Carlingwood might have rivalled Bayshore at one point but those days are long gone.

Another thing is that when Place d'Orléans first started to stumble (maybe 15-years ago? I can't recall the exact time period), St-Laurent was actually strongly ascendent and rivalling Rideau and Bayshore.

(St-Laurent is very easily accessible from much of Orleans, by car or transit, and was historically the go-to mall for people in that area, before Place was mega-expanded.)

Ironically St-Laurent eventually began to stumble a bit itself, but not before it was able to deliver some body blows to Place d'Orléans.

So now the east end of Ottawa is left with two so-so megamalls, and of course the booming Trainyards...

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 12:59 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinmichigan View Post
The west end is not like the east end.

West end residents are happy to live, work, dine and shop in the west end and only travel downtown on occasion. Most west-enders I know rarely travel east of Bayshore.

East end residents usually work, dine and shop downtown.
This is quite true in my experience. Though less so than before as Orleans painstakingly slowly moves towards a bit more self-containment as a community. They have real bars (sort of) in Orleans now.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
*And Carlingwood, which is still a major mall, although it's prospects are dim without Sears
I'm not sure I would call it a "major mall" but even if it is, people from the Western suburbs looking for a mall would have to drive by Bayshore to get there.

PdO was expanded at the very end of the mall era when the mall was a huge hub. That era is gone and PdO is a regional-sized mall with too small of a catchment for the current era.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 1:36 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
I'm not sure I would call it a "major mall" but even if it is, people from the Western suburbs looking for a mall would have to drive by Bayshore to get there.

PdO was expanded at the very end of the mall era when the mall was a huge hub. That era is gone and PdO is a regional-sized mall with too small of a catchment for the current era.
Bayshore draws from a much wider area than Place d'Orléans.

All the way up the 417-17 towards Arnprior and beyond draws shoppers to Bayshore, as does down the 416 towards Kemptville, in addition to some people from the Quebec side across the Champlain Bridge.

Place d'Orléans mostly misses out on shoppers from the towns along the 417 East who go to St-Laurent or Rideau, and for people along the 17 (Rockland, Plantagenet, Hawkesbury) once you reach Orleans on the highway it's only 15 minutes more and you're at St-Laurent. So a chunk of them just drive right by Place. Plus if you go all the way to St-Laurent you can hit up Trainyards too in the same vicinity.

Last edited by Acajack; May 22, 2018 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianinmichigan View Post
It's really depressing what has happened to Place d'Orleans. I still fondly remember what it was like in it's golden years-it was truly the best mall in Ottawa and one of the best malls in Canada. The architecture was stunning if you really looked at it.

The mall was the hub of Orleans and a great meeting place. Believe it or not, the fountain was the center of the mall activity and the busiest corner of the mall. You actually used to struggle to find a parking space on a busy Saturday. It once had a Walmart, The Bay, Eatons, Loblaws, 2 restaurants and every storefront where Sport Check and Bay Home Store were built was occupied.

Four things happened that lead to the mall's decline:
1. Eatons bankruptcy. The Bay moved to Eatons and the mall was unable to secure a tenant for former space occupied by The Bay so management leased the space to RCMP.
2. Destruction of the 2nd floor by Sports Check and The Bay Home Store (Having to walk through a store to get to one side of the mall?? Huh?)
3. Closure of Walmart.
4. Competition from Innes Road & Rideau Centre revitalization.

The day management got rid of the fountain was the end of Place d'Orleans as we knew it.

I fear that Place is slowly turning into the Gloucester Centre. I am disappointed that the new wing with Marks was built like a big-box set up and new stores are being built outside in the parking lot instead of within the mall. These new stores are great but with this set up, the corridors of the mall will hardly enjoy an increase of foot traffic.

In my humble opinion, the age of the 20th century mall has passed and the whole mall should be demolished and redeveloped into an open-air lifestyle centre similar to Tanger or Lansdowne with mixed use development and a new grid-layout street system instead of ring roads. Champlain could go all the way to St. Joseph once again and put store frontage on St. Joseph- the historical main street of Orleans. With LRT coming to Orleans it makes sense to think of creating a walkable district adjacent to the station. A road diet on St. Joseph would also help.

Just a dream though. Keep voting for Bob Monette and putting up those Soviet towers surrounded by a sea of parking lots, Ottawa.
I think Walmart moving to Innes was a major nail in the coffin for PdO. I lived in Orleans from 1997 to 2006 and PdO was still quite healthy after Eatons closed down.

Walmart moving was a major blow to the mall and it's no coincidence that the Innes development has been booming ever since Walmart moved there. Zellers was not a suitable replacement and Target was done before it even started.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:

Carlingwood's mall concourse is roughly the same size as St. Laurent. A huge chunk of St. Laurent's GLA is taken up by non-retail tenants, the retail mall itself is quite compact. At 525,000 sq ft. Carlingwood is certainly a 'major mall' but the loss of Sears will likely require a total redevelopment or the mall will fail, IMHO.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Carlingwood's mall concourse is roughly the same size as St. Laurent. A huge chunk of St. Laurent's GLA is taken up by non-retail tenants, the retail mall itself is quite compact. At 525,000 sq ft. Carlingwood is certainly a 'major mall' but the loss of Sears will likely require a total redevelopment or the mall will fail, IMHO.
That is about the same size of Billings Bridge (485). Also, sears was 179, so it is now down to 346. St. Laurent is still 685 without Sears.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
That is about the same size of Billings Bridge (485). Also, sears was 179, so it is now down to 346. St. Laurent is still 685 without Sears.
No, it's really not. There are two colleges, the Caseware offices, a cinema, a Goodlife, and I think even the former local sears distribution centre under the store that are included in that GLA. I'd guess that St. Laurent's retail GLA without Sears is in the 400-450 range.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:26 AM

St. Laurent, Gloucester Centre, Place D'Oreleans are all ripe for massive redevelopment.

What's going on with RioCan at Blair just seems so timid. You would think they could really do something bold to turn that into a real high density node. So much opportunity. I don't understand why the REITs that own these malls aren't getting more aggressive with redeveloping them.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:28 AM

I don't think RioCan actually owns the Gloucester Centre, just the land immediately to the west of it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs