HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 7:01 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
The big reason for the low cost is the reusing of Olympic bleachers from events at Cypress and Whistler.

A second Vancouver/BC CFL team? Hmmm maybe...permanent home for the Whitecaps perhaps??
That could be a possibility!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 8:47 PM
Youth of a Nation

Commissioner Cohon in Moncton Today to Announce Further ‘Touchdown Atlantic’ Details

Canadian Football League Commissioner Mark Cohon is in Moncton, New Brunswick today to unveil new details about the CFL's Touchdown Atlantic game this Fall.

And as fans who have registered to receive all the latest news about Touchdown Atlantic, we wanted to share it with you first.

Now that the Edmonton Eskimos have been confirmed as the opponents of the 'home team' Toronto Argonauts, the most notable news that will be shared today is ticketing information - specifically pricing and information about a special 24-hour pre-sale opportunity on March 24 that is available to you!

At the news conference, Commissioner Cohon will also reveal that:
  • Tickets will cost as little as $29, more than half the tickets will cost less than $50, and the best seats in the stands will cost $79 (all prices include 13 per cent HST and are subject to service fees).
  • The general ticket sale will kick off on March 25.

In order to take advantage of the pre-sale opportunity, you will be receiving a special promo code on March 22. This email will include all the information you will need in order to purchase tickets to the game.

Here is a look at ticket prices and the stadium map:

Commissioner Cohon will also unveil today the logo for the game that our fans have officially dubbed 'Touchdown Atlantic'.

Here is a sneak peek:

Joining Commissioner Cohon at the news conference will be The Honourable Shawn Graham, Premier of New Brunswick, His Worship, George LeBlanc, Mayor City of Moncton and members of the competing teams, including Argos President and CEO Bob Nicholson and defensive lineman Adriano Belli, and Edmonton Eskimo President & CEO Rick LeLacheur and offensive lineman Patrick Kabongo.

Belli and Kabongo will be busy over the next two days, making community and media appearances throughout the region. Both players share in the excitement about receiving the opportunity to play in front of our fans in Atlantic Canada, but come that Sunday afternoon on September 26, it will be all business!

Check out CFL.ca later today for all of the information, including video and photos from the event.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 9:29 PM

^ Is this the new stadium in Moncton? What's its capacity?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:30 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Here's a couple of informational links..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Moncton_Stadium
http://www.moncton2010.com/moncton-2010-stadium

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Yes, this is the new Moncton stadium being built for the IAAF World Junior Track & Field Championships.

- permanent seating - 10,000
- capacity for this CFL game - 20,000

The "temporary" bleachers will be in the end zones. I suspect that they will be left up for the next five years as the CFL is talking about hosting annual regular season games in Moncton until 2014.

The stadium could easily be increased in size to about 30,000 if Moncton were awarded a CFL franchise.

Mark Cohon has apparently been talking to people in Moncton interested in forming an ownership group. (Yes there are some rich people in Moncton). Both the city and the province are also supportive.

Everything is still in the very early stages however.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 12:16 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Sounds encouraging - I would love to see a CFL squad in Moncton or Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 6:51 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Bit of a sad day in Edmonton for purists. Commonwealth is converting to field turf.

Commonwealth Stadium’s grass punted for artificial turf

While grass purists' hearts broke a little, in the end city councillors agreed converting Commonwealth Stadium's natural turf, the last left in the Canadian Football League, to artificial made financial sense.

Council voted unanimously Wednesday to split the $2.6-million cost of replacing the stadium's grass with the latest in artificial turf.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...064/story.html

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:19 PM

^ What a nonsense. I thought Edmonton had natural turf?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:30 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

They did, until now apparently.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 10:07 PM

Wow... No wonder why nobody take this league seriously. When everyone else is switching from artificial to natural, we do the opposite. So none of our stadium can be considered world class, if they ever did.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Wow, I really don't think it's that big of an issue.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
Dont let the name fool u

Quote:
Wow... No wonder why nobody take this league seriously. When everyone else is switching from artificial to natural, we do the opposite. So none of our stadium can be considered world class, if they ever did.
Really? Just last moth the Blue Jays announced that they were moving to new field turf, but field turf non-the less. And considering the newest NFL stadiums such as Cowboys stadium, Giants stadium and the new Colts stadium have artificial turf I'd say it's not everyone that is switching to grass.

Also you don't want the Grey Cup being played with a dump field, which happened last Grey Cup in Edmonton.

Although, it appears that the Eskimos just snuck this in to minimize the uproar. This has probably been in the works for a while, but it's only last week they announced the possibility of a switch. ( only to confirm it a day later )

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 12:37 AM

^ Maybe I wasn't well informed. I always thought that natural grass was better than artificial turf.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 12:48 AM
Dont let the name fool u

^ No, you're correct on that for sure. Most NFL stadiums have grass, and you're correct that it was a trend to revert to grass. However, in the Canadian climate it's bit harder to maintain it.

cheers.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Genius View Post
^ No, you're correct on that for sure. Most NFL stadiums have grass, and you're correct that it was a trend to revert to grass. However, in the Canadian climate it's bit harder to maintain it.

cheers.
Toronto FC's BMO Field is converting to all natural grass. For soccer, it seems to be considered more of a necessity (perhaps a soccer player can confirm this).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:18 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

From the Sports Stadiums Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
That's actually not grass. It's a new artificial turf system that features the "real grass" turf but can be rolled up allowing multiple fields to be used. The stadium has three different turfs... one for the Cowboys with all the NFL markings and the cowboys insignia, they have another American football field with college markings that can be painted or left blank for college and high school games and then they have a soccer field with just soccer lines on it and shorter grass blades which allow the ball to play faster like it does on grass, soccer only fields. Now, they do have a grass surface that they can truck in from East Texas and did bring in for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but it is my understanding that FIFA was consulted and approved of the artificial surface allowing the stadium to use real or artificial surfaces for soccer.

Here's a video describing the turf system...

http://www.dallascowboysturf.com/dow...mary_video.wmv

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:19 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by duper View Post
Toronto FC's BMO Field is converting to all natural grass. For soccer, it seems to be considered more of a necessity (perhaps a soccer player can confirm this).
Let's compare the climates of Toronto with that of cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, and Winnipeg though. Toronto in November rarely goes down to the -20s... while it can be quite common on the prairies. (going back to the person's comment about it being harder to maintain)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 10:48 PM
Youth of a Nation

It is sad to see the Natural Grass Field disappear in Edmonton but the facts are there. Colder climate equals high costs to maintain. Plus with the Grey Cup 2010 there you don't want the crappy surface. In comparison with Soccer I think soccer is more of a natural grass rather then artificial, not to mention we don't play soccer in winter... Unless that's a new idea.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 1:58 PM
Youth of a Nation

NOW OPEN: Pre-Sale for Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic Tickets

Good morning,

The exclusive 24-hour pre-sale for Scotiabank Touchdown Atlantic game tickets is NOW OPEN.

Click here and use the following special access code 2010TDA to purchase tickets (subject to availability).

The purchase page will go live at 10:00am AT (Moncton local time). If you click on the link and the purchase page does not load, please copy the URL at the bottom of this email and paste it into your web browser.

Pre-sale tickets are only available for online purchases. Tickets are on a first come, first served basis and are subject to availability. There is a limit of eight (8) tickets per person. Visa, MasterCard and American Express will be accepted.

The pre-sale opportunity will be open for 24-hours. On Thursday, March 25 at 10:00am AT, the general public will have access to purchase tickets (subject to availability) by calling 1-888-720-5600 or visiting CFL.ca/TouchdownAtlantic

http://cl.exct.net/?ju=fe2316737c670...7&jb=ffcf14&t=

source: cfl.ca via email

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Let's compare the climates of Toronto with that of cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, and Winnipeg though. Toronto in November rarely goes down to the -20s... while it can be quite common on the prairies. (going back to the person's comment about it being harder to maintain)
You're right, of course. But as to the benefits for playing soccer, last time I checked (maybe 5 years ago), Canada's national team was based on Edmonton. I assume the natural grass field had something to do with that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada