HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:20 PM
cities|transit|croissants

A 5 mile to-and-fro walk around my neighborhood, Dupont Circle, DC

I had nothing to do yesterday, so I grabbed my camera and wandered the neighborhood. I live in Dupont Circle, one of DC's central neighborhoods, immediately northwest of downtown. If you're interested, here's a map of my walking route.

I'll give you a running commentary for each picture. Obviously I started at home. Here's my block, R Street, Northwest.

The first thing I did was head down 17th Street, my local main street.

The tall building you see here is The Cairo, and is locally famous as the building that inspired DC's height limit. When it was built in 189x it freaked the NIMBYs out, and now we have a height limit. The building is well above what would be allowed now.

17th Street is a mix of hyper-local service retail...

... sidewalk cafes...

... and gay bars. 17th Street is the heart of DC's gayborhood. I'm not gay, but I appreciate that the gays have great taste in neighborhoods.

This is my local grocery store. All the Safeways in DC have alliterative nicknames. For example, there's the (human) meat market "Social Safeway" near Georgetown University, and the hidden-in-a-basement "Secret Safeway." This one is called the "Soviet Safeway" because the lines are always long and shelves are always bare.

A lot of the buildings look like they used to be rowhouses. No idea if they were once residential or always commercial.

Perpendicular streets are mostly residential, with apartment buildings and rowhouses. Most of the rowhouses in this part of town have been converted to apartments.

Foreign embassies are also mixed in, especially on New Hampshire Avenue. This is Argentina. Keep your eyes peeled for foreign flags all throughout this thread; if you see one, it's an embassy.

On P Street I headed west, towards Rock Creek Park. P Street is one of the few east-west commercial streets in this part of DC. Most run north-south. U Street is the bigger and more famous one, but that's not in this thread.

I'm a sucker for birds. Can't help it. Here are a couple of adorable sparrows stealing a drink from a dog dish on the sidewalk.

This was in front of a hotel on P Street. The Redskins are on Monday Night Football today, so I'm assume this is the TV crew for that.

One of the things I love about DC is its rowhouse architecture.

Rock Creek Park, DC's large wooded park akin to NY's Central Park or Vancouver's Stanley Park, begins just west of 23rd Street. The park follows the course of Rock Creek. Here, between central DC and Georgetown, the park is narrow, really only about 1 block wide, following the path of the creek. To the north of here it widens considerably.

Where P Street meets the creek there's a large lawn, colloquially called P Street Beach. There's no real beach here, it's just a creek and a lawn, but that's what people call it.

In past decades P Street Beach was famous as a gay hideaway. When it wasn't safe to be out in the open, couples would find a secluced spot here and do their thing. That use has fallen off now that gay clubs can operate openly and without harassment.

Link to full size pano

Now most of the people at P Street Beach are just going on walks, playing ball, or reading.

This is Rock Creek itself. I guess that's kind of a beach. There's some sandish-like dirt, anyway.

P Street bridge, leading from Dupont to Georgetown.

... And one block up, Q Street bridge, doing the same thing. The road is Rock Creek Parkway.

Georgetown is a different neighborhood, so instead of staying on the path west , I turned north. Here the neighborhood gets wealthier and less dense. More of the houses are mansions instead of rows, and most of those that are rows are occupied by single-families instead of being split into apartments. Bigger apartment buildings are still mixed in, but there are a lot fewer of them.

A few blocks up 22nd Street the street becomes steep, and is pedestrianized with steps.

At California Avenue I turned back east. For some reason California is all apartments.

No DC thread would be complete without a picture of a statue of a guy on a horse.

This statue is George McClellan, a marginally-competent Union general during the Civil War. He was so paranoid of defeat that he refused to press advantages. Although he won the famous Battle of Antietam in 1862 (still the bloodiest single day in American military history), he failed to do much else. Eventually he was stripped of command. In 1864 he ran for president opposite Lincoln, but obviously lost.

The statue is where California Avenue meets Connecticut Avenue. Connecticut is one the largest streets in the city, and is the main commercial hub of Dupont. There will be more Connecticut pictures later in the thread, but here's looking south from the foot of McClellan's statue.

Immediately to the east is the Hilton Hotel, known locally as the Hinckley Hilton, because this driveway is the exact spot where John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan.

Plugging along east, I headed back towards my end of the neighborhood.

But shortly I decided to head back to Connecticut Avenue and get some pictures of main street.

As one heads south towards downtown DC, it gets more intense.

Metro.

Finally, let's head to the namesake of the neighorhood and by-far its most famous spot, Dupont Circle itself. Our local park and gathering place.

Don't miss the Washington Monument peaking out in the background, covered in its earthquake repair scaffolds.

A couple of panos to close out:

Link to full size pano

Link to full size pano

Goodbye!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 5:32 PM

Lovely, lovely city. Much more than museums, monuments, and government! Your pictures are gorgeous!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:25 PM

Great thread! I lived in the DuPont Circle neighborhood from 1979-88, first on Corcoran St. and then on R St. The neighborhood has been spruced up some (17th was still kind of druggy and dangerous when I moved away), but for the most part it hasn't changed all that much (that Safeway is still a mess, I see). I always thought it one of the most elegant urban neighborhoods in the entire country - DC at its most "Parisian". There is much history in that neighborhood, too. On my block of R was the former home of two of Warren Harding's cronies who were rumored to be "a couple". One of them committed suicide after Teapot Dome. That big, red brick Victorian just west of the Circle on Mass. used to be the home of Sen. James G. Blaine, who ran for President against Grover Cleveland ("Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine, the continental liar from the State of Maine"). Across Mass was (still is?) the home of Alice Roosevelt Longworth, TR's daughter who only died in 1981 or thereabouts. In the block of R about a block-and-a-half west of Connecticut were the homes of Wilson's Attorney General Palmer; the house was bombed by "anarchists", igniting the first "Red scare" in the country's history. The bomber's body parts were blown all the way across the street to land on the front step of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. The home of Evelyn Walsh Maclean, owner of the "Hope" diamond was at the corner of Mass and 20th or so. It was the Indonesian Embassy when I lived in DC. Woodrow Wilson was married to his second wife in her home on 20th just southwest of the Circle; the home no longer stands. Woodrow Wilson's final home was on S Street just east of Sheridan Circle; it is still a wonderful house museum. Great neighborhood - the most interesting in Washington, I think.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:49 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Lovely 5 mile walk, Cirrus! Enjoyed a lot.

Dupont Circle, your neighbourhood, is beautiful. I´d like to have a walk like that, or to live in a neighbourhood like yours. Very nice streets and, above all, I´ve liked the rowhouses. Well, Rock Creek Park is lovely too. As you see, I´ve liked your whole tour.

Thanks a lot for your pictures and explanations. Great job!

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 8:03 PM
Never Dell

Fantastic set. It looks as idyllic as an area can be.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wish I had the money to live there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 9:33 PM

Familiar scenes! I thought about living elsewhere in the city, but this neighborhood offers me just about everything I could want, including close proximity to various other great neighborhoods.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 10:12 PM
Community Guy

Incredible area.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 12:44 AM
Red brick mama.

Like buttah!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:07 AM

D.C. looks so perfect in so many ways.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:08 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

DC at its best--gracious, bustling, historic, elegant.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:33 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Love the area! DC seems to have so many great urban neighborhoods and architecture. Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed the tour.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:00 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

It really is one of North America's best neighborhoods.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:53 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I really enjoy seeing everyday DC. My memories of Dupont park include Vietnam vet-looking homeless dude outside the pharmacy asking me to get him some cold medicine, the mistake of eating at California Pizza Kitchen, and that the park was absolutely packed. DC has so many little interesting "villages" that you can get lost in. There is really a vibe there (sometimes good, sometimes not-so-good) that no other city in the country approximates.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:27 PM

Thanks for posting. Makes me miss home. Although I was just in Dupont on a recent visit. One of my favorite parts of DC.

ps - All the row homes were originally constructed to be just that; homes. Some business have taken them over, but they were originally multi-level homes.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:43 PM
urbanpln

Very nice!!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 3:35 PM

Love the architecture and history. Great pictures

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Cool!

If you ever have time, it would be fun to see a tour of Noma from the old city museum to north capitol...kind of curious on the current status of things in the area (specifically, the remaining parking lots).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:39 AM

The District ......Your photos are great.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 1:42 AM
International

One of the nation's premier urban neighborhoods. Without a doubt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos