HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
There was also discussion of moving it to "This Is The Place" State Park.

I would love to see this happen. Bonneville Park would be about the same size as Sugar House Park.

Of the six courses that the city runs Bonneville is probably the last that the city would remove. It's one of the most popular and considered one of the best in the state.

Nibley(2700 s 700e), Forest Dale(Sugarhouse), Glendale, and Rose Park would all definitely be removed first. Mountain Dell (Parley's canyon) is the only course that may be given a higher priority than Bonneville.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:08 AM
Let It Rise!

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Jun 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:01 AM

Just curious, why did Korean Air pay for the building? Are they now doing property development or are they using it as corporate offices and then renting out the rest of the building?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:47 AM

Korean's entities as major property developers in Los Angeles would be a big under statement. Just a couple of thoughts on the Korean influence here. In Central and Downtown Los Angeles, Korean capital is huge. It permeates almost everything, and is second only to the Anglo and Latin cultures. On my 4 to 5 day a week power walks through the different neighborhoods of Central & Downtown Los Angeles, I encounter as many or more fellow Korean exercise enthusiasts as any ethnicity. Same with the gym. One of Central and Downtown Los Angeles biggest saving graces, is the huge and constant infusion of Korean Capital. Many neighborhoods, including my own are experiencing major comebacks because of Korean gentrification. In my side job of property management, my bosses have always been Korean, and I absolutely love working for them. In fact, later today I will have a house full of my extended Korean family, here on their semi annual sojourn. They live for now in Seoul, but own property in Houston, Hawaii, and L.A. As with many nations, Los Angeles is the go to capital for those who can afford it, and want a safe haven for their money and also a home to escape to, if troubled times arrive in their homeland. Angelino's often jest that Los Angeles is South Korea's second capital.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
When will Salt Lake ever get anything half as cool as this?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airportvids View Post
When will Salt Lake ever get anything half as cool as this?
If by "cool" you mean "tall", then probably not in our lifetimes.

Salt Lake doesn't need a 1,000 ft. skyscraper though.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 6:58 PM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

True, we do not need a "1,000 ft". skyscraper, we need better looking towers with great architecture and design than what we have now.

Last edited by ctobsl; Jun 26, 2017 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 8:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Tall, yes, but also better design and a light show.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Just curious, why did Korean Air pay for the building? Are they now doing property development or are they using it as corporate offices and then renting out the rest of the building?
Korean Air owned the original hotel that was demolished and came up with the idea to redevelop it as a mixed use property with hotel/office/retail. Apparently, the building was built by the Hanjin Group (parent company of Korean Air), and especially the CEO of the Hanjin Group, who considers L.A. to be his second home. (Echoing what delts said about L.A. and Koreans.)

Apparently, it will also be home to Korean Air offices.

S. Korea tycoon has high hopes for L.A. hotel project
LATimes.com

Last edited by Stenar; Jun 25, 2017 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:

Half as cool would be a 500 footer. We'll get that in our lifetime (I'm assuming you aren't 70 or older)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 3:16 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Half as cool would be a 500 footer. We'll get that in our lifetime (I'm assuming you aren't 70 40 or older)
I fixed it for you.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:43 AM

I think we'll get a 500-footer relatively soon. Hopefully the future CCH, or phase 2 of block 66. If we're lucky, maybe both of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
True, we do not need a "1,000 ft". skyscraper, we need better looking towers with great architecture and deign than what we have now.
I don't think there's been anything wrong with the design of our buildings lately. In fact I would say 222 South Main, The Regent, and 99 West are 3 of our most architecturally pleasing skyscrapers, if not THE 3 best. They just lack the height to fully show off their architecture. 111 South Main is a bit on the plain side, but it's not bad, and has amazing street engagement.

I'll have faith we'll get a really good design for our future tallest until proven otherwise.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:34 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
I think we'll get a 500-footer relatively soon. Hopefully the future CCH, or phase 2 of block 66. If we're lucky, maybe both of them!

I don't think there's been anything wrong with the design of our buildings lately. In fact I would say 222 South Main, The Regent, and 99 West are 3 of our most architecturally pleasing skyscrapers, if not THE 3 best. They just lack the height to fully show off their architecture. 111 South Main is a bit on the plain side, but it's not bad, and has amazing street engagement.

I'll have faith we'll get a really good design for our future tallest until proven otherwise.
True, I agree with you on they need a bit more height. I also think One Utah Center would have looked really nice if it were at least 10 more floors in height to show off the top section which adds a different look to the skyline other than flat tops...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 6:47 AM

Yeah, One Utah Center is good as well.

One positive I am willing to take from the lack of true height in Salt Lake's downtown is that if a future, taller skyscraper building boom does come to Salt Lake, there is a chance that we could have a much more aesthetically pleasing skyline than a lot of other mid-sized cities in the U.S. by virtue of not being so dominated by boxy 60s and 70s architecture.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:39 AM
They all float down here

The one tower that would've looked better had it been taller is the Gateway Tower West - or whatever it's called now.

Too stubby at its current height.

But imagine...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 10:53 AM

That is a thought I have often shared. One or two like the Key Bank Tower are great as an example of the era, but I wouldn't want a skyline full of them. Though, some pretty cool reclads have been accomplished, like the Zion's Bank redo. Also, the remake of the street engagement on Key Bank went a long way in improving the base.

I agree with Comrade about the Westgate Tower. In fact, I wouldn't even mind a similar but taller version being built again.

Quote:
Yeah, One Utah Center is good as well.

One positive I am willing to take from the lack of true height in Salt Lake's downtown is that if a future, taller skyscraper building boom does come to Salt Lake, there is a chance that we could have a much more aesthetically pleasing skyline than a lot of other mid-sized cities in the U.S. by virtue of not being so dominated by boxy 60s and 70s architecture.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
That is a thought I have often shared. One or two like the Key Bank Tower are great as an example of the era, but I wouldn't want a skyline full of them. Though, some pretty cool reclads have been accomplished, like the Zion's Bank redo. Also, the remake of the street engagement on Key Bank went a long way in improving the base.

I agree with Comrade about the Westgate Tower. In fact, I wouldn't even mind a similar but taller version being built again.
I wish they wouldn't have torn down the Key Bank tower. But I agree with both you and Comrade.

As for the Utah one Center...that building always reminded me of Town Pavilian (Kansas City) and Albuquerque Plaza (Albuquerque)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:23 PM

I wasn't a big fan of the old Key Bank Tower. Just me probably, but it reminded me of something from 70's/80's downtown Vegas. I would have wanted a re-clad on that one.

Except for the north stairwell, I'm all for them leaving the COB as is. I'd like to see them change those north stairwell openings to match the south end.

When they do finally get around to building the CCH, I hope it's skin and style is something along the line of the new Wilshire Grand or Marriott CCH here in L.A.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the old Key Bank Tower. Just me probably, but it reminded me of something from 70's/80's downtown Vegas. I would have wanted a re-clad on that one.

Except for the north stairwell, I'm all for them leaving the COB as is. I'd like to see them change those north stairwell openings to match the south end.

When they do finally get around to building the CCH, I hope it's skin and style is something along the line of the new Wilshire Grand or Marriott CCH here in L.A.
Wiltshire Grand rool: I've been following all LA developments and that one is a beauty

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 7:38 PM

I'm glad they blew up the Key Bank tower honestly. One of the ugliest, boxiest buildings in our skyline - utterly replaceable. I have a strong distaste for that bland, mid/late 20th-century architecture. Anything coming out of City Creek is a massive improvement over that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West