HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 5:27 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
hmmmmmm........ are you sure about that? all of the thousand footers in chicago have considerably more than 1.2 million SF (hancok - 2.8 million SF, Aon - 3.6 million SF, sears - 4.4 million SF), and the office towers in that size range (~1.2 million SF), tend to be in the 500 - 700 foot height range. but maybe buildings in chicago are just typically built fatter, i dunno.
Yes, I'm not sure it would top out over 1000', but in comparison, the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta is also 1.2 million square feet, similar floor plate size and is a little over 1000 feet tall. But it has a giant crown too.

The speculation that the Minneapolis project will be that large also doesn't take into account that the existing 17-story TCF building will - at this time - be included as part of the project. So the question is if the tower itself will be 1.2+ or the tower and the TCF building together will be 1.2+ If it's the former, then a supertall is at least possible. If the latter, then it may be in the 600-foot range.

At least it's fun to speculate!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 6:55 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
Bring a coat. It is going to be very cold!!!!
It's been gorgous lately!!! It's actually been better this month then October of most years. I went to the top of the IDS tower again a week ago Sunday and there was not one cloud in the sky. I could see the curvature of the earth it was so clear!

Also, it was great to see the Carlyle topped off with the newly added spires in the view!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2006, 3:14 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Also, it was great to see the Carlyle topped off with the newly added spires in the view!
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of this, would you?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 3:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

nicollet news from this month's Heartland Real Estate Business Journal:

MIXED-USE EXPLOSION
Entering 2007, mixed-use developments continue to be the commercial venture of choice in the Midwest.

Amy Bigley

With the New Year quickly approaching, development abounds in the Midwest. The interest in mixed-use development continues as projects are popping up in cities across the Heartland, such as Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Minneapolis. While some are the traditional mix of residential, retail and office, others are sharply tailored to the location and provide products for specific demographics and individuals. Here’s a glimpse of what is to come in 2007.

The Nicollet; Minneapolis

Minneapolis-based Hunt Associates and HPO Nicollet are currently developing a 1.1 million-square-foot, high-end luxury condominium tower in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. With the continued growth of the city’s urban population, The Nicollet, designed by Barbour/LaDouceur Design Group of Minneapolis, is posed to become the newest prominent condominium attraction for high-income empty nesters and young professionals.

The 356-unit development, which is situated on a 30,000-square-foot land parcel at 1001 Nicollet Mall, will rise 56 stories upon completion, making it the tallest residential tower in Minnesota.

The units will feature floor-to-ceiling glass, hardwood floors, custom kitchen and access to high-end amenities. The 36 differing floor plans range in size from 800 to 6,000 square feet, and there are currently 100 units under purchase agreements and reservations. Completion for The Nicollet is slated for late 2007 or early 2008.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 4:12 AM

Better this month than most octobers?!?!? I don't think so. lol. The average high in mid october is 65 degrees. The average high the last day of october is in the low 50s. Total number of days ABOVE 50 this month=0. It has been very warm for December though, besides that first week.

PS. THanks for the article

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 11:05 PM

Well, one of the better proposals for downtown Minneapolis has been blocked. The Pacific, a $200 million redevelopment project that would have included two condo towers at 28-stories and 18-stories, stores and a boutique hotel, was rejected because it exceeds height standards.

I’m amazed at how much power these neighborhood groups, a preservationist committee, and a council member (Lisa Goodman) have. Oh well, I’m sure something will eventually take up this space; maybe a strip club?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:13 PM

Is it possible, the developers find a new site, that is well suited for the project?
Or shorten the height of the current plans, according to zoning restrictions?

Last edited by nocode; Jan 24, 2007 at 6:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 1:37 PM

When I was a teenager, I remember reading that there was some law or clause or understanding that no building could be taller than the IDS (775ft), therefore the IDS, Wells Fargo Tower, and former USBank Tower (as I know it) are all 775ft.

Obviously this "law" has changed, as this thread is about a good number of buildings that are supposed to be well over the 775ft "limit."

When did this "law" change and was it ever actually true?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonataInFSharp View Post
When I was a teenager, I remember reading that there was some law or clause or understanding that no building could be taller than the IDS (775ft), therefore the IDS, Wells Fargo Tower, and former USBank Tower (as I know it) are all 775ft.

Obviously this "law" has changed, as this thread is about a good number of buildings that are supposed to be well over the 775ft "limit."

When did this "law" change and was it ever actually true?
Actually, there never was a law. Around 1984, Cesar Pelli designed a 900+ foot tall tower to replace the old Northwestern National Bank Building (which burned down on Thanksgiving 1982). Plans for the tower were downsized in 1985, which became the current Wells Fargo Tower (originally Norwest Tower). I recall Pelli saying that he stopped short of exceeding the IDS
Center as a tip of the hat to that building's iconic status.

I also don't think there are many buildings planned which would exceed 775 feet. There are rumours, but no announced plans as of yet.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 12:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

took this today
IVY Hotel - Residence?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:29 AM

great pics, does anybody have any st. paul pics?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:41 AM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
took this today
IVY Hotel - Residence?
Yep. That is the Ivy Residence.
It is about halfway up. Nice to finally see what the facade will be looking like. So far I am not terribly impressed. Once they start adding windows, I jope to be surprised. At least it is far better than the parking lot it replaced.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 8:36 PM

Twins stadium site?

Hennepin county is having a really hard time, acquiring the land for the stadium, so today they announced the possibility of a new site.
My question is, where is a good piece of land downtown, to build a staduim?
I would hate to see the staduim built somewhere else in Hennipin county, other than downtown. Hopefully, the GREEDY landowners, realize that the land they own is only as valuable, as what they have on it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 10:46 PM
The True Avatar

I doubt there will be a different site. They are already starting the procedures of imminent domain. The different site idea has been floating around for awhile now. To concern the landowners and to keep the media buzzing.
The landowners have stated that they will develop the land for residential use. That threat is not only a joke but quite hollow. The condo market has erally cooled off. There are several projects on hold right now that are in much more desireable locations. Also they would need to get many approvals from the city to develop this land the way they are threatening to do. The "don't build over ten stories" city council would never approve what they want now. Their plans could ruin the historic nature of the acres of parking lots this site entails.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 8:41 AM
JoeCooper

I'm getting fed up over the countless delays on the start of the Nicollet construction. I know it will happen, whether it be 2 months or 12 months from now but still it sickens me. Anyway, my attention now is focused on Two-Twenty-Two. They are starting construction sometime this year even thoiugh they don't have those so called sales figures in yet. They know that people will become interested and more willing to buy when they see the project actually being built, not just big talking and BS. Yes the developers of Two-Twenty-Two developer has much deeper pockets to invest into the project, they have scored several more points with me by their stratagy. So far the Nicollet has been a roller coaster of lies with ups and downs of promising and even more disappointing news heard time and again. The people at the sales office keep giving me the dumbest reasons as to why construction is being delayed. Until I see that project actually breaking ground will put it aside.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 8:18 PM

^Rumors as of late are that the bank giving financial backings for two twenty two has withdrawen their backings until they get sales. I don't know if that is true or not, it seems kinda sketchy a bank would withdraw after agreeing. Anyways, for a more complete list on developments go to the link below. I would post the entire thing here to but I don't want to have to update it on two boards since I've been adding updates to it about once a week.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...2&postcount=67

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 2:29 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Somehow I feel that The Nicollet (651 feet/ 198 meters) now actually has a better chance than Two Twenty Two. Call me crazy, but The Nicollet has pursued a hotel partner and the project did get a boost with Hines Interests on board. And it looks like the hotel portion is solidifying. Is it a Four Seasons? Is it something else? We don't know yet.

I'm hoping, even though The Nicollet has broken my heart in the past!

Last edited by Avian001; Feb 20, 2007 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 10:23 PM

I read in the Startrib, last week, that plans are being worked out for a 600,000 sq ft office tower, downtown. It is exciting news, but i think it would be better to wait, til there is a need for a 1,000,000 sq ft tower. What do yall think?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:11 PM
Architecture/Engineering

^Ryan Companies is planning a new tower at 8th & Marquette. Inside sources say it will be 1.2 million square feet. There have been extensive discussions about this project on the Minnescraper.com forums.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations