HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 12:42 AM

Great to hear that they will be starting the base cladding soon! Once finished it will really help give the tower a streamlined, sleek look! As for the antenna, I agree it would be amazing to watch it be lowered in segments by helicopter, not sure they would take that route, given the size each segment will be? Maybe they will just hoist by crane...Either way, the spire installation will def be the icing on 1WTC's cake!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 1:02 AM
BANNED

I just really wanna see the glass rise..it's been 61 days since the last row.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:02 AM
Bionic Boogie

^^^
today

DSC_0066 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

it was January 19 the last time glass went up.

DSC_5136 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:15 AM

I managed to get a picture today. Only a picture, but it's better than nothing. Her and the setting sun.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
I'm worried to see the base cladding...I have a really bad feeling about it
Don't worry the base is going to be really high quality.

Glass Fins.

Link.

http://www.commercialobserver.com/20...smatic/#slide4

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post
^^^
today

DSC_0066 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

it was January 19 the last time glass went up.

DSC_5136 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
Thanks Carlos that just made my night & my bad 46 days then

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:37 AM
BANNED

I just hope to god that it looks nothing like's WTC7's steel base...yuck. As long as it ends up looking better, I'll be happy!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:52 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:05 AM

the radome has eliminated from the TV mast & Durst Org is working to move the TV broadcasters back.

see this Wall Street Jouranal Article

WTC Tower Seeks Radio, TV Signals .

By ELIOT BROWN
A battle is brewing for the airwaves over Manhattan.

The owners of One World Trade Center are planning to install a broadcast antenna in the 1776-foot building's spire in a bid to lure some of the more than two dozen television and radio stations currently broadcasting from the Empire State Building.

The move—reviving an earlier broadcast plan that was dropped out of financial concerns—would inject some competition into the skies for the Empire State Building, which since the collapse of the original World Trade Center towers in 2001 has been the go-to broadcast site in the city.

."Our expectations would be to become the premiere broadcast facility in New York City," said Thomas Bow, senior vice president at the Durst Organization, the development firm that controls One World Trade in a partnership with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The building, currently under construction, is slated for completion at the end of 2013.

A spokesman for Malkin Holdings, an owner of the Empire State Building, declined to comment.

The Durst Organization expects to be able to take in about $10 million a year in rents and fees from television and radio stations drawn to the tower, the company said.

That is compared with the $16.1 million the Empire State Building generated from broadcasters in 2010, according to a securities filing. The only other main competitor is 4 Times Square, which is owned by the Durst Organization and primarily serves as a backup location for broadcasters, and would offer itself as a backup under the new broadcast plan.

The plan, which came after Durst Organization executives pitched the Port Authority on the idea, calls for other changes to the planned 408-foot spire on top of One Trade Center. Its architectural cone would be stripped away, putting in place a thinner, more functional spire that the Durst Organization said would save about $20 million.

The revision, however, drew criticism from the building's architect, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, people familiar with the matter said.

Under the agreement, Durst will put up the approximately $7 million of infrastructure and about $20 million of costs to build out the broadcast space for tenants, the company said. The proceeds would be split between the two owners, although Mr. Bow declined to give specifics.

The Port Authority pulled back from that route three years ago when it became concerned with putting in more money into the tower and the agency began worried that there wouldn't be enough interest from broadcasters.

Write to Eliot Brown at eliot.brown@wsj.com

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post
The radome was jsut eliminated, the contract with IBK has been canceled. See the WSJ article I just posted, now that it is public.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Even Zen didn't know just how they were going to erect that beast. Once it gets past the point where building cranes can raise the sections I haven't heard if it will be gin poles, building it out of smaller pieces or (how cool would that be?) helicopters. It seems like the cranes there now would have to be removed before they could start the mast.
It will be erected using a tower crane, quite an amazing design for tower crane by DCM.

alan

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:39 AM

No friggin way. That's going to ruin the design. The hell are they thinking? This is supposed to be the showpiece of NYC.

I refuse to believe that they will eliminate the radome. What a friggin' joke!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:43 AM

Correction to the WSJ article: the trade contract made between Port Authority and IBK Fibertek/DCM back in July 2009 was valuated in $17,199,000 USD, not $20,000,00.
Hoping they listen to SOM and re-consider their decissions.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:44 AM

Guess what people: Eliminating the radome makes the spire into an antenna, just like the one on the original north tower.

This building will now officially be only 1368 ft tall.

Good job Durst -you just screwed NYC

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:59 AM
BANNED

Can someone please explain this to me through pictures...?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
Can someone please explain this to me through pictures...?
Look at the picture below. The black box like thing at the bottom of the mast is called a radome. That thing has been removed from the tower.

More info on radomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:19 AM

Does it in any way affect the aesthetics of the communications ring or the outer cladding of the spire? It doesn't seem like it would even be noticeable, I'm evidently not getting something here...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:27 AM

lower manhattan; 3/5/2012 by kevin scott koepke photography, on Flickr

Please do not repost, copy, or otherwise reproduce. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
WTC Tower Seeks Radio, TV Signals .

By ELIOT BROWN
A battle is brewing for the airwaves over Manhattan.

The owners of One World Trade Center are planning to install a broadcast antenna in the 1776-foot building's spire in a bid to lure some of the more than two dozen television and radio stations currently broadcasting from the Empire State Building.

The move—reviving an earlier broadcast plan that was dropped out of financial concerns—would inject some competition into the skies for the Empire State Building, which since the collapse of the original World Trade Center towers in 2001 has been the go-to broadcast site in the city.

."Our expectations would be to become the premiere broadcast facility in New York City," said Thomas Bow, senior vice president at the Durst Organization, the development firm that controls One World Trade in a partnership with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The building, currently under construction, is slated for completion at the end of 2013.

A spokesman for Malkin Holdings, an owner of the Empire State Building, declined to comment.

The Durst Organization expects to be able to take in about $10 million a year in rents and fees from television and radio stations drawn to the tower, the company said.

That is compared with the $16.1 million the Empire State Building generated from broadcasters in 2010, according to a securities filing. The only other main competitor is 4 Times Square, which is owned by the Durst Organization and primarily serves as a backup location for broadcasters, and would offer itself as a backup under the new broadcast plan.

The plan, which came after Durst Organization executives pitched the Port Authority on the idea, calls for other changes to the planned 408-foot spire on top of One Trade Center. Its architectural cone would be stripped away, putting in place a thinner, more functional spire that the Durst Organization said would save about $20 million.

The revision, however, drew criticism from the building's architect, Skidmore Owings & Merrill, people familiar with the matter said.

Under the agreement, Durst will put up the approximately $7 million of infrastructure and about $20 million of costs to build out the broadcast space for tenants, the company said. The proceeds would be split between the two owners, although Mr. Bow declined to give specifics.

The Port Authority pulled back from that route three years ago when it became concerned with putting in more money into the tower and the agency began worried that there wouldn't be enough interest from broadcasters.
Oh.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:41 AM

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Roadcruiser1;5616995]Look at the picture below. The black box like thing at the bottom of the mast is called a radome. That thing has been removed from

Don't forget about the most important part,the architectural Cone encasing the ugly looking spire.What bad news just when I was excited about the Podium cladding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive