HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 6:45 PM
Cheers!

So you guys buying tickets... is this just a first year commitment, because of the honeymoon effect, or are you thinking at all about seasons beyond?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 8:03 PM

this is a long-term commitment. some people think before they act.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 10:01 PM

I'll be going to as many games as possible for as long as there is a club and I'm living here.

Touching on shirt sponsors. It's not just European football leagues that have shirt sponsors. Every major league in the world from Japan, China, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, and every other league in between has shirt sponsors. Why shouldn't MLS?

Sponsors on shirts put much needed money into MLS clubs' coffers and helps pay for better players that can then assist in the club being successful and therefore attract more fans. It's a win win. The shirt sponsorships for some like TFC, LA, and what the Caps will pull in, are worth more than their operating income.

The NHL(Canucks, Calgary, Detroit, Chicago), NBA, and NFL have caught onto this "global" idea and now use them on practice shirts. They say it may not be too far off when you see their game shirts with sponsors on them. Remember when boards in hockey arenas didn't have ads on them? Well they do now and arenas also have sponsor names. I guess people forget that eh?! Instead, it's MLS is trying to copy Europe.

NBA Sacramento Kings owner said last year, “It’s a new economic climate now. Any time you can generate revenue in the right way, you should be able to do it. You have to. If we can find the right partner, why not?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 7:35 PM

Electronic Arts announced a partnership with the Whitecaps today - from the Vancouver Sun article:
Quote:
the Whitecaps are their first North American soccer club to partner up with the video game giant. ...

Whitecaps FC and BC Place Stadium will be included in FIFA Soccer 12, enabling fans to play with the Whitecaps MLS team in their new home before the stadium is actually complete. In addition, a limited number of FIFA Soccer 12 games will be available in B.C. in specially designed Whitecaps FC branding.
Source: Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 8:05 PM
Vancouverite

That is going to give the whitecaps and MLS HUGE HUGE advertising in Europe and abroad.
FIFa EA games are now the premier Football game on the planet (EA finally working on improving the game to be better than Pro Evo Soccer)
Many gamers gave EA a bad rep a few years ago but after the new CEO worked on improving the game qualities, EA has won gamers over.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta View Post
That is going to give the whitecaps and MLS HUGE HUGE advertising in Europe and abroad.
Why would a European care for North American soccer any more than a Japanese would for Bulgarian sushi?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
FIFa EA games are now the premier Football game on the planet (EA finally working on improving the game to be better than Pro Evo Soccer)
Many gamers gave EA a bad rep a few years ago but after the new CEO worked on improving the game qualities, EA has won gamers over.
MLS has been part of the EA FIFA games for at least a few years now. I think it may have started in '09. One of the TFC palyers was the main player of the North American cover of FIFA '09, BMO jersey and all.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:42 AM

It's kind of funny because this isn't the first time that the Whitecaps have been in a Fifa EA Sports game. I remember playing as the Whitecaps in Fifa 99 on N64. They had the USSF teams in it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Why would a European care for North American soccer any more than a Japanese would for Bulgarian sushi?
Because knowing that the Bulgarian sushi exists is better than thinking they didn't have any at all

I actually think thats really cool that they will be in the game. Who cares if Europeans don't need MLS, its exciting news regardless.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 3:11 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
FIFA is a hit with casual gamers, who wouldn't care about the continents that much and about the type of soccer (they aren't soccer snobs and not die hards.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPELLY View Post
It's kind of funny because this isn't the first time that the Whitecaps have been in a Fifa EA Sports game. I remember playing as the Whitecaps in Fifa 99 on N64. They had the USSF teams in it.
FIFA soccer games suckked in the 80's, this generation has seen FIFA gone from not to hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
MLS has been part of the EA FIFA games for at least a few years now. I think it may have started in '09. One of the TFC palyers was the main player of the North American cover of FIFA '09, BMO jersey and all.
I dont think so...
Edu I'm certain was on the North American cover for FIFA 09

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:53 AM
Cheers!

Quote:

FIFA soccer games suckked in the 80's, this generation has seen FIFA gone from not to hot.
FIFA soccer games didn't exist in the 80's.

Quote:
I dont think so...
Actually, I think it is Ronaldinho, with a TFC Player, and another player (not Edu). Edu was so not in the limelight when 09 came out. So I doubt it. Easy enough to research. He's with Benfica, I believe. I'm pretty sure much of the hype that surrounded him back in 2004 has died down since then.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:10 AM

Quote:
I dont think so...
Yes, Edu in the TFC uniform.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:17 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
FIFA soccer games didn't exist in the 80's.

Actually, I think it is Ronaldinho, with a TFC Player, and another player (not Edu). Edu was so not in the limelight when 09 came out. So I doubt it. Easy enough to research. He's with Benfica, I believe. I'm pretty sure much of the hype that surrounded him back in 2004 has died down since then.
Typo, I was replying to someone mentioning the 90's so yeah, and plus FIFA games only started being the premier soccer game with 09.
Edu is playing for the rangers. And the other player is Guillermo Ochoa
Quote:
Yes, Edu in the TFC uniform.
Edu was in US uniform...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Typo, I was replying to someone mentioning the 90's so yeah, and plus FIFA games only started being the premier soccer game with 09.
Edu is playing for the rangers. And the other player is Guillermo Ochoa

Edu was in US uniform...
No, he was in a TFC uniform:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/08/ea_...over_change-2/

http://sports.ign.com/articles/896/896597p1.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:51 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
They have Sushi in Bulgaria!!! I wanna try me some of that!

Knowing Japan, they'd actually be kind of curious, as they like to know what people think of Japan. Then, they would compare it with Japanese Sushi and determine the Japanese sushi is of much better quality... and only be tempted to try the Bulgarian sushi again if it was cheaper... which it would be.

Then they'd take the parts of the Bulgarian sushi and Japanize it and incorporate it as part of regular Japanese sushi menus... well, maybe.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 1:33 AM
Cheers!

Oh, that's Maurice Edu... I was thinking of the US kid...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:34 AM
Vancouverite

Read the article, Ea changed the covers because Edu signed for the Rangers
All retailers have the game with Edu wearing the USA jersey.

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/9056...ws/reviews.htm
http://www.amazon.com/FIFA-Soccer-09.../dp/B001AZ7RK0

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 8:22 PM
victory in near

i just check out the virtual stadium to see what kind of tickets are still available.

lots of seats are already taken. it looks like i'm not going to get what i want 2 days from now

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 9:52 PM

The selection was open on Saturday/Sunday, I believe for current season ticket holders, then it shut down Monday-Tuesday and reopened today.

I checked on Sunday night, and a good chunk of the "cheap" seats were already gone, and actually a lot of the mid field expensive seats were already gone as well. I wasn’t planning on getting into the $589 range, but it looks as though that may be the case. I pick tonight at 7:45.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
victory in near

Quote:

The selection was open on Saturday/Sunday, I believe for current season ticket holders, then it shut down Monday-Tuesday and reopened today.

I checked on Sunday night, and a good chunk of the "cheap" seats were already gone, and actually a lot of the mid field expensive seats were already gone as well. I wasn’t planning on getting into the $589 range, but it looks as though that may be the case. I pick tonight at 7:45.
i pick friday afternoon. few of my buddies have deposits and we are trying to sit near each other. We wanted to sit near the southsiders (for the excitement) but not exactly with them yet not pay through the nose.

hey vanlaw, perchance, are you a lawyer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation