HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 11:01 PM

Yeah, the accurate thing to say is that you have Poles around you, and no French Canadians.

Using your logic I could say that Poles aren't interested in sharing their language at all -- there aren't any Poles here to bring me conversation opportunities on a platter.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 11:29 PM

It's hard to learn French by simply exposing yourself to French-Canadians. Every time I go to Montreal, I try to practice my French at places, but Quebecois will always respond to me in English.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 1:13 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
It's hard to learn French by simply exposing yourself to French-Canadians. Every time I go to Montreal, I try to practice my French at places, but Quebecois will always respond to me in English.
Not doubting your experiences at all but mileage on that seems to be extremely variable. I personally know tons of people who have learned French simply by rubbing shoulders with Québécois in Gatineau or Montreal. I even know quite a few people who have learned French chiefly by rubbing shoulders with Franco-Ontarians in Vanier, Overbrook or Orleans.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:04 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Bah, there are only 3 words that actually use à: à, çà, là.
Voilà?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:36 AM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Voilà?
İ ĝúéşš Î fõřģǿţ şömè ẅøŕđŝ ẃĩŧĥ åčĉěñŧś.

This eclectic mix of accents was brought to you by CTRL, ALT, Shift and the Canadian Multilingual Standard

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:35 AM

No offence, but you mustn't be typing much in French... à, and to a lesser extent là, come up extremely often. And où isn't too far behind.

I type very quickly and "professionally", my four fingers for each hand are always on a-w-e-f and j-i-o-; except for those frequent times, when using that ****ingly dysfunctional Canadian Multilingual keyboard layout, when my right hand has to completely leave its position to move significantly to the right to do a thumb+index maneuver to prepare an accent grave for the next letter (generally an 'a', sometimes an 'u').

On the French Canadian keyboard layout my hands always remain in typing position...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 12:19 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
No offence, but you mustn't be typing much in French...
Don't I wish! I must have written some 50 pages in the past week for various courses, exams and projects!

You seem to use a different typing position than me, though - I stay on the middle level (asdf jkl and I've never had difficulty stretching my pinky to the à, é or è on the right or the ú on the left. ê, ë and ç require a bit more effort, but I usually average about 70wpm, regardless of the language.

Maybe Chopin and Debussy have just made me accustomed to stretching my fingers a little.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Oh Quebec. Our broke, unemployed, entitled sibling. Sigh.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 9:57 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
Is this a headline from Sun News?

Hey, right wingers! Don't understand anything about Quebec? That's okay. No need to learn anything about the situation, just go to online forums and repeat buzzwords like "transfer payments" and "entitlements" without engaging with any of the knowledge or arguments.

Who needs to understand anything? Just say the buzzwords. They'll make you feel self-satisfied at how virtuous you are by comparison with those decadent Frenchies and their Frenchie ways.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 4:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobi View Post
Never heard of this. And as far as I know, it's not only false, but a total inversion of history.

When the first PQ government was elected in 1976, one the very first thing that Québec premier René Lévesque wanted to do (before passing Bill 101 as I recall) was to negotiate a "reciprocity treaty" regarding linguistic minority rights with the other (English speaking) provinces: asking them to offer the same services and legal protection the province of Québec was already providing to its English-speaking minority, in education (from kindergarden to the university), health care, social services, political rights in the province legislature, etc.

The overall response from the anglo-provinces was basically a big "Fuck no!". Lévesque was even chastised in the anglo-media for seeking such an un-Canadian arrangement (anglo-fucktard extraordinaire William Johnson, then at the service of the Montreal Gazette, was at the forefront of this red-blooded patriotic offensive).

Another interesting part of the story is that Lévesque and a few others in the PQ were so pissed off at the reaction of the ROC provinces, that the possibility of making the level of services provided to the anglo minority in Quebec ''equal'' to that provided to ROC francophones (effectively reducing English services significantly), until the ROC provinces relented and smartened up. But after some discussion the PQ caucus decided against it, because as someone in there said to the group: ''We can't treat our anglos like the ROC treats its francos. That would just be too mean!''

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 7:34 AM

^ It just goes to show. A lot of people in the ROC go on and on about Quebec the totalitarian state destroying the English language blah blah blah, while Francophone rights in the ROC are traditionally very poor (still are in many cases, although Ontario has really stepped up in recent years at least at government level).

I've also heard that Levesque shut down some PQ radicals who wanted to gut the English school system entirely.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 1:44 PM

Waterloo Region will be getting its first French language public high school this coming year, according to an announcement from the Province of Ontario this week.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Waterloo Region will be getting its first French language public high school this coming year, according to an announcement from the Province of Ontario this week.
Awesome news! The expansion of the French language school system in Ontario is nothing short of incredible. French public high schools were practically non-existent just a few decades ago.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 8:41 PM

A university the next step? I know there has been a growing interest from Franco-ontarians to put some pressure on the government in order to have a a true French language university. I hope they will get one because they deserve it.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:11 PM

I read an article once that suggested the possibility of a Francophone university in Toronto. Although it's not where the Francophone population is concentrated presently, the hope was that by expanding the GTA's francophone institutions you can have new immigrants from Francophone Africa, Haiti, etc. assimilated to the Franco-Ontarian community instead of the anglophone majority.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 1:50 AM

Quote:
I read an article once that suggested the possibility of a Francophone university in Toronto. Although it's not where the Francophone population is concentrated presently, the hope was that by expanding the GTA's francophone institutions you can have new immigrants from Francophone Africa, Haiti, etc. assimilated to the Franco-Ontarian community instead of the anglophone majority.
I used to wonder whether the Glendon campus of York University couldn't be the core of a French language university in Ontario, but I suppose the campus is too established (and too small) to lend itself to this.

I believe that University of Ottawa has been looking at the possibility of establishing a French language satellite campus in Southwestern Ontario (Windsor?), although I've never seen any concrete details.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I am sure the Franco-Ontarian community would welcome any expansion of educational offerings in French, but logically a truly francophone university in Ontario should be in Ottawa. Or perhaps in Sudbury, since there is a latent sentiment in some Franco-Ontarian circles that institutions placed in Ottawa get flooded with Quebecers and Quebec-ified because of the proximity to the border.

For example, the first and biggest Franco-Ontarian community college, La Cité collégiale in Ottawa, has a huge percentage of Quebec students. In some programs Quebec students and even teachers are in the majority. Of course, the college itself encourages this, and advertises on Gatineau buses and in many other places on the Quebec side of the river. It is arguably more visible in Gatineau than in Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post
Is this a headline from Sun News?
... if it actually were I'm pretty sure whoever wrote it would get a call from someone important

(Funny that you wrote that a few days ago...)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:35 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another interesting part of the story is that Lévesque and a few others in the PQ were so pissed off at the reaction of the ROC provinces, that the possibility of making the level of services provided to the anglo minority in Quebec ''equal'' to that provided to ROC francophones (effectively reducing English services significantly), until the ROC provinces relented and smartened up. But after some discussion the PQ caucus decided against it, because as someone in there said to the group: ''We can't treat our anglos like the ROC treats its francos. That would just be too mean!''
Quote:
^ It just goes to show. A lot of people in the ROC go on and on about Quebec the totalitarian state destroying the English language blah blah blah, while Francophone rights in the ROC are traditionally very poor (still are in many cases, although Ontario has really stepped up in recent years at least at government level).

I've also heard that Levesque shut down some PQ radicals who wanted to gut the English school system entirely.
For what it's worth, not everyone felt the way the politicians do. My mom was apparently rather angry when she heard that the other provinces didn't want to help protect the French language.

Quote:
Awesome news! The expansion of the French language school system in Ontario is nothing short of incredible. French public high schools were practically non-existent just a few decades ago.
Good to see some of my early activism work has paid off somewhat.

Back in the Mike Harris days, they wanted to pretty much gut the French Immersion program (which I was a part of) in its entirety. So my mom, myself, and other parents and their child students began campaigning against program cuts, and enough attention and outcry was brought to bear that they mostly relented. Many schools were closed however, but at least the program survived, and began to surge once again albeit more recently.

It's good to see that some of what I helped to do as a kid has helped protect and grow the French language in Ontario.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am sure the Franco-Ontarian community would welcome any expansion of educational offerings in French, but logically a truly francophone university in Ontario should be in Ottawa. Or perhaps in Sudbury, since there is a latent sentiment in some Franco-Ontarian circles that institutions placed in Ottawa get flooded with Quebecers and Quebec-ified because of the proximity to the border.
Pourquoi on n'a pas les deux? Why not both?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post

Pourquoi on n'a pas les deux? Why not both?
I agree but I am no longer an Ontario resident, taxpayer or voter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada