HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:22 PM

Approximately how long will it take for this platform to be complete?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:44 PM

am i right in assuming that this platform won support the buildings..?

i think i read that the buildings will be on the surrounding bedrock and the platform will be the plaza.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
am i right in assuming that this platform won support the buildings..?

i think i read that the buildings will be on the surrounding bedrock and the platform will be the plaza.
No, the platforms are for pedestrian and vehicular traffic (as well as public open spaces). I believe buildings will rest partially on the platform, but they will be supported by columns that go through the platform to the bedrock below.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:12 PM
BANNED

I hope the History Channel is covering this. Truly a modern marvel.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...anhattan-west/

‘The Launcher’ is Alive and Well at Brookfield’s Manhattan West

By Al Barbarino
1/29/14

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen, meet “The Launcher,” a giant yellow machine that is currently hard at work constructing a prefabricated platform upon which Brookfield Development’s Manhattan West project will rise.

The pictures contained herein, sent exclusively to Commercial Observer, show the custom-designed mechanical marvel that so far has completed one of 16 precast concrete bridge panels that will form an expansive deck 65 feet above the uncovered Amtrak tracks leading in and out of Penn Station.

The process, outlined in a video on Brookfield’s website, shows how The Launcher will place 56-ton precast concrete segments — making up the 16 bridges — incrementally on a temporary platform.

The segments will be joined and locked together on the platform to form the bridge panels (or spans), which The Launcher will lay laterally over the tracks to form the deck.

The deck will serve as the foundation for the 5.4-million-square-foot Manhattan West project, which will span 5 acres between West 33rd and West 31st streets to the north/south, and 9th and Dyer avenues to the East/West.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:03 PM
Walk taker

Walked by this site over the weekend - looks as though they've lain a complete row of supports.

Sorry for the poor image quality, had to take it with my phone.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 10:09 PM

From last Saturday. Second span is ready.

Last edited by ILNY; Feb 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 10:20 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Old news...

Brookfield to double public space at Manhattan West
Christopher Cameron February 08, 2014 04:00PM

A view of the proposed plaza from Ninth Avenue.

©Brookfield Properties

Quote:
Brookfield Properties has announced that it will double the amount of open public space at its $4.5 billion Manhattan West project.

Brookfield Properties has filed to change the zoning of the development so that it can build more than two acres of plazas at the base of its skyscraper complex, according to DNAinfo.

“Brookfield prides itself on great place-making, not just developing buildings,” Sabrina Kanner, a senior vice president for the developer, told Community Board 4.

The project, which is scheduled for competition in 2020, is composed of five buildings between West 31st and West 33rd streets, from Ninth Avenue to Dyer Avenue.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:43 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...an-west-towers

By Mathew Katz
February 7, 2014

Quote:
...The new proposed public space will be a series of plazas, including a platform built over Dyer Avenue that will allow pedestrians to enjoy the outdoors while vehicles pass beneath them to the Lincoln Tunnel.

"Brookfield prides itself on great place-making, not just developing buildings," said Sabrina Kanner, a senior vice president for the developer, at a recent meeting of Community Board 4.

The board gave its conditional support to the plan, though it encouraged Brookfield to keep the plazas open 24 hours a day, and not close them late at night.

The plazas were designed by James Corner Field Operations, the same firm that designed the High Line's iconic walkway.

A 10,080-square-foot Entry Plaza facing Ninth Avenue will greet visitors with trees, tables and chairs. A Central Plaza will extend between a pair of towers, from Ninth Avenue to Dyer Avenue, and will also be filled with trees.

"We see this very much as a lush garden landscape," said Keith O'Connor, an associate partner with James Corner Field Operations.

The Central Plaza will have an event space for concerts, art exhibits and performances, along with a 100-foot-wide retail pavilion. The event space will close for private events up to 12 times a year, Brookfield said.

On the corner of Ninth Avenue and West 31st Street, an 7,480 square-foot Art Plaza will show off artwork and sculptures approved by the city's Public Design Commission.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...eet-tower.html

Brookfield Plans $200 Million Makeover of NYC 33rd Street Tower

By David M. Levitt
Feb 10, 2014

Quote:
Brookfield Office Properties Inc. (BPO) plans a $200 million makeover of its tower at 450 W. 33rd St. on Manhattan’s far west side, including a new glass skin for the building.

The property will be integrated with Brookfield’s Manhattan West project, the company said at a press briefing today. Brookfield plans to construct a deck over the Dyer Avenue
Lincoln Tunnel entrance that would enable the tower to connect with the larger development.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bro...k=MW_news_stmp

Brookfield Office Properties to Commence $200-Million Redevelopment of 450 West 33rd Street
New Glass Skin and Street-Front Retail Designed by Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX; Property to Be Integrated Into 7-Million-Square-Foot Manhattan West Development

February 10, 2014

Quote:
A $200-million redevelopment of the adjacent 450 West 33rd Street office building, to be known as Five Manhattan West, will modernize and fully integrate the 1.8-million-square-foot building through an exterior recladding and interior renovation program.

"Manhattan West is a vital mixed-use real estate development and the redeveloped 450 West 33rd Street gives the urban campus even greater depth and diversity," said Dennis Friedrich, chief executive officer of Brookfield Office Properties. "The building's unique mix of high ceilings and large, open floorplates are especially attractive to companies seeking this type of collaborative, 'loft-like' space."

The architectural firm REX designed the redevelopment of Five Manhattan West, including a new pleated glass facade which will create floor-to-ceiling windows on every floor, maximizing daylight penetration while reducing solar gain through geometric 'self-shading.' The interior program includes a redesigned lobby, upgraded and expanded elevators, and enhanced HVAC and other mechanical systems. New retail storefronts will provide a welcoming streetscape. The renovation is expected to be completed in 2016.

"We believe that maximizing the potential of our urban cores' existing vitality and infrastructure must be the basis for any definition of sustainability," commented Joshua Prince-Ramus, Principal at REX. "We are therefore thrilled to be involved with the repositioning of this significant, 44-year-old Manhattan landmark adjacent to Penn Station and at the heart of several major developments in Midtown."

Mr. Prince-Ramus has been credited as one of the "5 greatest architects under 50" by The Huffington Post, one of the world's most influential young architects by Wallpaper*, one of the twenty most influential players in design by Fast Company, and listed among "The 20 Essential Young Architects" by ICON magazine.

450 West 33rd Street was acquired by Brookfield in 2011. It is one of only eight office buildings in Manhattan to offer more than 100,000 square feet of contiguous space on a single floor. The property's footprint stretches from West 31st to West 33rd Streets, taking up a half block between Dyer & 10th Avenues. In addition, the numerous loading bays provide the opportunity to create a private entrance for tenants.

The five-acre Manhattan West campus will also include two new premium-grade office towers, a luxury residential tower, retail and a two-acre park. Located steps away from the High Line, it also will feature a boutique six-star hotel, health and fitness facilities, rooftop gardens and multiple restaurants and cafes.

A team led by Bruce Mosler and Josh Kuriloff of Cushman & Wakefield is the exclusive leasing agent for office space at Manhattan West, including 450 West 33rd Street.

Brookfield kicked off development at Manhattan West in January 2013 with the construction of a platform scheduled to be completed in late 2014.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:40 PM

Where is the "boutique six star hotel"?

And I'm assuming there are five buildings now? The two new office, the office reskin, the residential, and the hotel? More recent articles are referring to five buildings now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:55 PM

OMG what an improvement to that monstrosity. 2 thumbs up!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:57 PM

A lot better than the blue glass they originally had proposed.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:29 PM

Hey that's not too bad! Great to see this one on the road, as an essential component of the Manhattan West development and Hudson Yards region!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 9:24 PM

Overall, this redesign is so much better than I had expected.

I am really surprised by how limited the staircase access to tenth avenue is, though. I thought that the whole point of the expanded pedestrian area was to capture the masses of people that will be walking from Penn/Moynihan to Hudson Yards and the Highline everyday. By only providing one puny stairwell to the street at 31st and 10th (which is sure to be effectively eliminated during busy times of day due to bottlenecking) they've all but guaranteed that the entire pedestrian plaza will be a dead end rather than a thoroughfare. I know that staircase space would take away from rentable area, but retail is all about foot traffic... there's got to be a better solution than this.

Hopefully this thing will continue to evolve and at least include better street access at Deyer Street.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 9:49 PM

Sorry, still just a silk bow on a pig.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 12:04 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

What would be really nice is if Brookfield put a concourse through 450 W. 33rd linking 10th Ave. with the plaza...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 1:17 AM
World Machine

I hope the final product is as nice as the render - short of demolition, this renovation is the next best thing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
What would be really nice is if Brookfield put a concourse through 450 W. 33rd linking 10th Ave. with the plaza...
That was somewhat the original plan by the City, but Brookfield is currently in the process of getting approvals for what we see now.

http://www.archdaily.com/475334/rex-...t-development/

REX Unveils Details of Five Manhattan West Development

Quote:
Joshua Prince-Ramus of REX, together with Brookfield Properties unveiled today the $200 Million redevelopment of 450 West 33rd Street in New York. The 1.8 million-square-foot building will be integrated into the Manhattan West Development.

The architectural firm REX designed the redevelopment of Five Manhattan West, including a new pleated glass façade which will create floor‐to‐ceiling windows on every floor, maximizing daylight penetration while reducing solar gain through geometric ‘self‐shading.’ The interior program includes a redesigned lobby, upgraded and expanded elevators, and enhanced HVAC and other mechanical systems. New retail storefronts will provide a welcoming streetscape. The renovation is expected to be completed in 2016.

“We believe that maximizing the potential of our urban cores’ existing vitality and infrastructure must be the basis for any definition of sustainability,” commented Joshua Prince‐ Ramus, Principal at REX. “We are therefore thrilled to be involved with the repositioning of this significant, 44‐year‐old Manhattan landmark adjacent to Penn Station and at the heart of several major developments in Midtown.”

The five‐acre Manhattan West campus will also include two new premium‐grade office towers, a luxury residential tower, retail and a two‐acre park. Located steps away from the High Line, it also will feature a boutique six‐star hotel, health and fitness facilities, rooftop gardens and multiple restaurants and cafes.

Lobby View from Sidewalk / The new lobby is expanded along 33rd Street to provide ADA access from the street and designed to reflect the neighborhood culture

Image of existing open plan layout

Office view of the Hudson / The new pleated glass façade will provide daylight exposure to the building’s deep floor plates.

View of public space from a 450 West 33rd Street office / 450 West 33rd Street will have eastern views of the new 2.1-acre public space that is part of the Manhattan West development, the master-planned seven-million-square-foot, mixed-used community, featuring new office, residential, hotel, retail and green space.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

I know some may disagree, but to me this whole development just reflects a discordant vision. None of the buildings seem to work together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive