HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 6:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

In terms of traffic being alleviated, more buses can kinda free cars up from the roads. We can also say buses cause traffic in way, but increase the volume on lets say HOV lanes, increase ridership, and less cars on the road. In theory. Hopefully increased ridership occurs for the various light rails. Problem with many of our cities are just distances and poor planning that probally didn't think ahead at the time. Buses, and light rail are a band aid in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:39 PM

I see more and more people blaming heavy city traffic on Uber. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. Using the Uber app I can typically see 4 or 5 Uber cars within a couple of blocks out of dozens if not hundreds of cars.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 7:51 PM

One thing I learned in over 20 years of living in L. A., it's better to avoid the freeways.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 10:32 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
LA is bad, real bad, but this study is missing out some key players. Beijing had the worst traffic I'd ever seen (LA's traffic at least moves at a snail's pace) until I went to Jakarta.

I've never seen traffic as bad as Jakarta. 32 million people and not one single metro line or properly wide freeway. The city is in perpetual gridlock EVERYWHERE. It took me 2 hours to go 13 kilometers.

Not having Beijing or Jakarta on this list makes it incomplete. Maybe the hard data isn't available for these two cities?
Yeah, Jakarta is pretty awful. Bangkok is pretty terrible too.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 2:18 PM

Face it; anytime you put a few million people together in an area and add cars there will be congestion. Mass transit will alleviate this gto some extent, but will not deal with the fundamental fact of the square footage of roads versus the square footage of vehicles that use those roads. Cities with elaborate and heavily utilized transit, e.g. London, Paris, Berlin, still experience congestion. Less economically developed countries, experience incredible congestion. However, people who live in such congested places, and I live in one of them, know the pace and temporality of that congestion and we adapt to it. The recent fire that destroyed a major bridge on a major interstate in our city demonstrated the diversity of alternatives in planning our daily confrontation with traffic. Despite prophets of doom, the city continued to function. Cities have always been congested, that’s what makes them interesting.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 2:36 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
One thing I learned in over 20 years of living in L. A., it's better to avoid the freeways.
i've rarely had problems in los angeles (like urinate in a bottle level traffic)...i have always driven surface streets around the basin. granted i avoid peak periods...

chicago has always been the motherfucker for me. everyone is headed to or from downtown, unlike los angeles.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Surprised Toronto isn't on this list. Traffic has gotten to a point where it's just bad, all the time. Johannesburg has really bad traffic as well. When the Mall of Africa opened my friends posted on Facebook about being trapped in traffic for 3 hours...
Yah, it's not uncommon to spend 45 minutes driving 6-8 km into downtown Toronto from the west end - on a Saturday or Sunday at that.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 3:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i've rarely had problems in los angeles (like urinate in a bottle level traffic)...i have always driven surface streets around the basin. granted i avoid peak periods...

chicago has always been the motherfucker for me. everyone is headed to or from downtown, unlike los angeles.
Lucky. Seems to always be a problem for me. With me, I need my morning coffee. Usually I'll have it as I commute to work (NJ). Once I reach work in NJ, I take a work truck into nyc, and it always hits me while on the bridges. So I usually almost all the time have to stop at a McDonalds. Its gotten close to where I almost had to pee in a snapple bottle. I fear if I miss, it will be a bad day. Luckily hasn't occurred yet. I'll usually be in Queens, but Brooklyn is the worse. Love the city, but public restrooms are a rare thing. And they are always out of service! Or so they say...

Just like there are roadside emergency phones, there should be roadside emergency porta-johns. Positioned every 4 miles along highly-jammed highways.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:39 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The tragic thing (IMHO) is that government is constantly making things worse. This may be less true of LA where, when we think of traffic we usually mean freeway traffic, but in San Francisco where I am thinking of surface traffic the mass redesignation of traffic lanes as "transit-only" and "bike" lanes and the utter failure to enforce double parking and other regulations has meant that 3-lane streets are becoming single lane streets. Yesterday I watched and drank a coffee as an ambulance double-parked in front of a senior housing project on one side of the street and a parking control officer double-parked on the other while arguing with some guy she was trying to give a ticket for ? (he, at least, was in a legal space) and did exactly that. Commonly it's cops or other city employees parking wherever they want (and not always tending to an emergency) but also it's often just delivery trucks.

And in SF, they purposefully obstruct traffic with lights timed to make you stop at every intersection. They call it "traffic calming". I call it "driver infuriating". I think it literally leads to more traffic law violations such as red-light running and right turns without stopping.

Out on the freeways, they say vehicles driven by machines, not people, will make a big difference. Machines don't slow down to gawk at whatever's going on on the side of the road and they don't slow down while texting etc. They maintain a steady, even traffic flow.
Ugh, yep I can relate and you see similar things in Center City Philly. The issue with our area is that it is so old and many parts of the metro were not meant to handle the kind of traffic there is now, some of our major roads can be just one lane in each direction with houses right up to the road so nowhere to expand to. Also, the geniuses at PennDOT coupled with the geniuses in local governments do some really odd things when they redesign and "improve" intersections. For example, part of our latest rules say that there must be pedestrian crossing built in (walk/don't walk signs, curb cutouts with nonslip surfaces, etc.) BUT in this one particular major intersection that township has always had that intersection as no pedestrian crossing in all directions so there are now brand new electronics with no pedestrian crossing signs all around. No one follows this because it's a major crossroads and people walk through there all of the time but this can sometimes lead to some pretty confused people. They also widened the intersection and created a left turn lane but did not give a left turn arrow to both directions so now one way backs up even worse than it did before.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:44 PM

Chi 90/94 just south of the jane bryne interchange is the Dan Ryan, and NB it is completely congested nearly 24/7, 365, rain or shine

as I just sat in it yesterday coming back from a long trip I am glad at least its evil was recognized

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
LA is bad, real bad, but this study is missing out some key players. Beijing had the worst traffic I'd ever seen (LA's traffic at least moves at a snail's pace) until I went to Jakarta.

I've never seen traffic as bad as Jakarta. 32 million people and not one single metro line or properly wide freeway. The city is in perpetual gridlock EVERYWHERE. It took me 2 hours to go 13 kilometers.

Not having Beijing or Jakarta on this list makes it incomplete. Maybe the hard data isn't available for these two cities?
I'm also a bit skeptical of any traffic list that doesn't include the mega Asian cities.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 5:05 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Chi 90/94 just south of the jane bryne interchange is the Dan Ryan, and NB it is completely congested nearly 24/7, 365, rain or shine

as I just sat in it yesterday coming back from a long trip I am glad at least its evil was recognized
Pff. Belmont is the worst street in Chicago. Next to Pulaski. Rain or shine. Morning, noon, and night. Chicago traffic is awful. And this is coming from a native Angelino. I can handle LA traffic no problem. Chicago traffic makes me want to go postal. What sucks about Chicago is that if you are going from the northside to the southside, you HAVE to drive through downtown. In LA, you can avoid downtown altogether.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 11:43 PM

Manila is the worst I've ever seen. Worse than Jakarta, worse than Beijing.

At least the later have actual highways. Manila doesn't even have a proper highway from the airport to downtown (it's U/C and has been since I started traveling around Asia for work 10 years ago).

All the major arterials are lined with throngs of shoeless, shirtless children, and because the traffic doesn't move, they can come right up to your car window, bang on it, and beg for money to try to sell you stuff. And you deal with that for two straight hours between the airport and your hotel. By the time you get to your hotel, you feel like the shittiest, worst person in the world because you just ignored hundreds of kids who will never, ever be able to afford the taxi ride you just took, let alone afford to stay one night in the hotel you won't even remember the next day.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:23 AM
Crisp and Squishy

It looks like I've been beaten to the punch, but I will reiterate that the author has clearly never been to Jakarta.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:48 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Manila is the worst I've ever seen. Worse than Jakarta, worse than Beijing.
I'm curious on how many auto accidents (Manila) occur in the capital every year?

I was watching some videos on the traffic, and we in the states can never, EVER complain about traffic after some of the insanity I watched. At least we have stop and yield signs. Those roundabouts or circles are just chaotic. Trucks, vans, cars in every direction.

Hanoi, Vietnam's traffic looks like another cluster****. Bikes and cars in every direction.

IDK how these people do it every single day. There would be a revolution in the states if traffic ever got that bad.

Video Link

Video Link

Its kinda orderly in the way amidst the chaos.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 12:56 AM

Has anyone been to Dhaka? That city is legendary for traffic woes. NY Times had a recent article:

The Bangladeshi Traffic Jam That Never Ends
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/t...ffic.html?_r=0

I'm not getting Chicago. Chicago doesn't have heavy traffic for a metro of 9-10 million. The one exception is the Dan Ryan/Kennedy near downtown (esp. near the I-55 turnoff), but the rest of the metro is pretty smooth sailing. Surface streets aren't bad either.

The worst traffic in the U.S. is LA, easily, IMO. Freeways are slow seven days a week. All day Saturday and Sunday nights are especially horrible. I remember taking the I-5 from Santa Monica to Newport Beach near midnight on a Sunday and wondering "who the hell are all these people?"

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The worst traffic in the U.S. is LA, easily, IMO. Freeways are slow seven days a week. All day Saturday and Sunday nights are especially horrible. I remember taking the I-5 from Santa Monica to Newport Beach near midnight on a Sunday and wondering "who the hell are all these people?"
Well that's debatable, I personally experienced the worst in the NY Metro

I really just want to point out that the 5 does not go near Santa Monica. Perhaps it was the 10 east to downtown, and in Boyle Heights/East LA is where you can connect with the 5, but that's a good 15 miles away.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:28 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Well that's debatable, I personally experienced the worst in the NY Metro

I really just want to point out that the 5 does not go near Santa Monica. Perhaps it was the 10 east to downtown, and in Boyle Heights/East LA is where you can connect with the 5, but that's a good 15 miles away.
I agree because LA has massive freeways and lots of them. Even a newer city like Dallas, I was in the past few days has a good freeway system but not enough lanes. Some they are adding the toll type fast track lanes to which is fine, but they would have two fast track lanes and only 2-3 regular lanes. Should at least be a 2:1 ratio.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post

I really just want to point out that the 5 does not go near Santa Monica.
Sorry, meant the 405. The 405 is hell, always, but esp. near LAX and the 10 interchange.

The 5 is much better, actually. Even the 10 is much better. I've never seen the 405 clear before, say 1 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2017, 2:12 AM

As a side note, I always liked how Californians put a "the" in front of highway numbers. "The 405". No one in Mass would ever say "We're shooting down the 95 to Providence in 20 minutes, everyone get ready."

Do they do this throughout the West Coast or is it just a Cali thing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions