HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 4:50 PM

SEATTLE: Jet City Weekend

I needed a break from Portland and I had a three day weekend. Usually, I'd fly home to Sactown. This time around, I did something different (and cheaper): weekend road trip to Seattle. I love Seattle. Easily the only place outside of California that I'd consider living. I'm not thrilled about having my basketball team taken from me, but to me, Seattle is exactly what a city should be, feel, and look like. This weekend trip was the happiest I've been in a while, and goddamn it, I'll be spending a lot more time up there one way or another!

There's a lot of everything in here, so without further ado, I give you Jet City through my lens. Let's go!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:15 PM

Love that city! If I were to move to the West Coast and didn't live in San Fran, Seattle would likely be my next choice. I loved it both times I visited the city/region.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 6:49 PM

DAMN.

i have to make it out there sometime soon. i would drop everything and move there if the opportunity presented itself.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:25 PM
Never Dell

Sweet, merciful jebus. Phenomenal photos.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:48 PM

Great photos! Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 2:49 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Great set of pics. Seattle is awesome.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:22 AM
Babylon falling

After just getting back from Sydney I would have to say Seattle's skyline would be close if it had about another 5 500 to 600 footers thrown in the mix. From certain angles it looks very built up with towers over 300 feet or so. Especially in those views from the North. Wow, for its metro size it really does kick ass and the Bellevue skyline is almost like Century City now so SEA be poppin.

Love the hilliness and it does look very urban in these shots. I haven't been there in 18 years... I need to get back. Oh and the port had no boats in it though... must have been a slow weekend.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 6:51 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Very nice tour and pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I´d move to Seattle at once too. It looks a comfortable city to live in, full of life. I´m wishing to visit it, I hope someday...

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 7:46 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Awesome set of photos, really well done!!

I agree with your statement that Seattle is everything a city should be. Great culture, gorgeous skyline, huge sense of civic identity, high potential for future growth, and it just has a general feeling of balance. The density in this shot is just perfect:

Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:12 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Great photos, and some of the new buildings are outstanding. I'm a bit surprised that you think Seattle is the ultimate city. I've always liked it, but with all the freeways cutting through it, it was IMO somewhat spoiled (My Vancouver POV). The Space Needle was definitely an astute way of making the skyline iconic.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 9:26 AM
good time not a long time

Absolutely amazing set, you gots a talent for photography I wish i could duplicate. Sorry bout the Kings... For real, incompetent owners don't realize the civic pride and duty they actually wield on their whim and it sucks that's what it comes down to.

Can't help but love that bum, the middle finger with a smirk on his face.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 4:24 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Sweet, merciful jebus. Phenomenal photos.
Best reaction I've gotten to a photo thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Great photos, and some of the new buildings are outstanding. I'm a bit surprised that you think Seattle is the ultimate city. I've always liked it, but with all the freeways cutting through it, it was IMO somewhat spoiled (My Vancouver POV). The Space Needle was definitely an astute way of making the skyline iconic.
Perhaps ideal is the better word. I've never been to Vancouver, and I'd like to visit someday. To me, when I think of a city, with all its intricacies and its people and built environment, Seattle has always been what comes to mind first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
Absolutely amazing set, you gots a talent for photography I wish i could duplicate. Sorry bout the Kings... For real, incompetent owners don't realize the civic pride and duty they actually wield on their whim and it sucks that's what it comes down to.

Can't help but love that bum, the middle finger with a smirk on his face.
That bum had better be the Maloofs a few years down the road.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 4:30 PM
Never Dell

We're a looooong way from perfect.

But one of those freeways (the one with a waterfront viaduct section) is going away in early 2016, replaced by a two-mile deep bypass tunnel.

Our imperfection, to me, is 50% about underused space. But that's also a boost. First, we get to watch construction for more decades to come. Second (and more importantly to most people), when a big organization wants to build new offices/labs/whatever on a large scale in/near Downtown, it still can. Recent examples are the Gates Foundation, Seattle Children's Research, the University of Washington SLU campus, Cornish College of the Arts, and of course Amazon, which is already three million square feet (already an astonishing figure) and plans to double in short order. On a smaller scale, we also have room for a lot of other offices, hotels, housing, labs, hospital expansions, parks, and so on.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:41 PM

I haven't been to Seattle in years, I would love to visit during it's rainy season. The time I visit it was sunny and warm the entire week I was there, very nice images of this beautiful city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 1:51 AM

Holy hell, that's a good thread. Some really nice urban context shots in there.

I was sent to Seattle for business last spring for a week and loved it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 2:26 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Great city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 9:47 PM
Cascadia Rising

Great set! One of the best collections of photos of this city I've seen on here in awhile. Interesting you wanted to get away from Portland to come visit Seattle; seems most Portlanders I know like to drive right on through to Vancouver haha...

With all of the current and upcoming development in Seattle, it almost seems like it's pulling further away from Portland and becoming a different kind of PNW city, if that makes any sense. Maybe less comfortable and more dynamic.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
Great set! One of the best collections of photos of this city I've seen on here in awhile. Interesting you wanted to get away from Portland to come visit Seattle; seems most Portlanders I know like to drive right on through to Vancouver haha...

With all of the current and upcoming development in Seattle, it almost seems like it's pulling further away from Portland and becoming a different kind of PNW city, if that makes any sense. Maybe less comfortable and more dynamic.
I am not and never will be a Portlander; how dare you sully my good California name with that accusation!

To me, I think the heart of the difference (besides the economies and growth patterns and the rest of that) is in the culture of the two cities. Portland just isn't a serious place in my opinion. The culture is laid back to the point of laziness and not being serious. Portland is content with what it has, for the most part. Seattle, on the other hand, has long been aware that it can be a premier city if it works toward it. It still has the overall West Coast relaxed feeling, but Seattle remains serious, competent, and competitive enough to be continually improving, and that's how Seattle can be on par with cities like San Francisco and Chicago. Me, personally? Seattle's my favorite city on the West Coast (leaving the Kings issue aside).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
To me, I think the heart of the difference (besides the economies and growth patterns and the rest of that) is in the culture of the two cities. Portland just isn't a serious place in my opinion. The culture is laid back to the point of laziness and not being serious. Portland is content with what it has, for the most part. Seattle, on the other hand, has long been aware that it can be a premier city if it works toward it. It still has the overall West Coast relaxed feeling, but Seattle remains serious, competent, and competitive enough to be continually improving, and that's how Seattle can be on par with cities like San Francisco and Chicago. Me, personally? Seattle's my favorite city on the West Coast (leaving the Kings issue aside).
First of all great shots -- you really captured the best of Seattle with the stunning views and great lighting.

I agree to an extent about the differences between the two cities. Around 30-40 years ago Portland was able to take a look at its West Coast neighbors' growth patterns as it was growing more slowly. They were booming in the post-WWII, Cold War economy and Portland just didn't have the same booming economic base. So in a somewhat simplistic nutshell, it seems the Portland region, with the help of progressive-minded governors, mayors, etc., focused starting in the 1970s on reversing the sprawling, auto-focused, downtown-killing policies that were hurting cities everywhere. And I think that, while this has lead to some great urban planning success, the region took this success for granted and got complacent about economic development. For many years, the thinking was 'let Seattle and California choke on traffic and sprawl, we'll go in another direction with light rail and parks and growth boundaries' -- which is great but this approach, in itself, results in a more carefully monitored, planned economy rather than a more competitive, growth-at-all-costs economy. Although I think there's been renewed emphasis in the last few years on economic development (South Waterfront, for example).

Having lived in both cities, I love different aspects of each but prefer living in Portland. It doesn't have Seattle's more exciting global, corporate culture... but I found, for myself, that Portland is exciting in its own ways that make the day-to-day living more 'livable.' It's fun to watch the two cities grow, despite so many similarities from politics to weather to in-city population, in pretty different ways.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 4:54 AM

Absolutely fantastic images of one of my top 3 favorite American cities, ThatDarnSacramentan.

You have an excellent eye for amazing perspectives.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos