HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 6:21 AM
Dryer lint inspector

why do people still look at emporis as being gospel? to me, they are irrelevant and this site is just as reliable if not more.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 6:40 AM
I am the law!

^there is no equivilant one stop shop out there like Emporis. Unfortunately though, the quality of the information on the public side is also analogous to Walmart

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 6:42 AM
Dryer lint inspector

the only added value that emporis has that SSP does not (IMO) is sometimes they will have a quick blurb on the history of the building.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:10 AM
I am the law!

SSP building database has potential, I guess, but for now its quite the joke - incomplete, out-of-date, and diagrams instead of photos

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 7:18 AM

the only added value that emporis has that SSP does not (IMO) is sometimes they will have a quick blurb on the history of the building.

Well yeah. . . uh. . . no. . . I can't agree with you less. . . but we'll just forget you said that. . .

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 9:34 AM

Cool List. If all goes to plan, Downtown LA will add Zen (50), LA Live (55), LA Central (44 stories, maybe 500 Feet), Olympic (60), City House (60), Grand Ave Tower 1 (55), Park Fifth (71), all suppose to break ground by mid 2007, and twin 47 story towers in Century City, so possibly 9 more for LA!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 9:55 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

Well yeah. . . uh. . . no. . . I can't agree with you less. . . but we'll just forget you said that. . .
i just have found their quality not up to par as it once was (i was a former contributer and photographer) and don't think the site should be the standard all others should set themselves by.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 9:55 AM
Vires acquirit eundo

Within a year Melbourne's likely to have another 2 U/C - actually both will be over 200m for those of us who use metric mental images.

Developers of Prima Tower (220m) on Southbank announced they're starting construction next year. Assuming this will push another tower into construction - 368 Little Collins (207m) as they're both aimed at the same market.

SAMA are said to be circling a site in Docklands that we're expecting will possibly be the next tallest in Melbourne (Eureka = 297.3m or 975 feet).

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post

Tom, you haven't answered me. How could you get to that silly figure of 7 completed skyscrapers and 1 under construction for Paris ? Could you display me the list so that I could see which are missing ?

Tour Granite and Tour T1, which are BOTH under construction for a year now, are almost exactly at the same height (607 and 600 feet IIRC). As for completed buildings, missing 4 towers out of the 11 which are above 500 feet is quite a lot ! That gives a very poor image of Emporis to.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2006, 9:49 PM
Height Hound

Here's what I came up after going through my database for the 8 cities with the most 500-footers, including uc's. There are a lot of 500-footers that do not come up on an Emporis building search, because the exact heights are not known yet. I have included buildings that I estimate are at least 500 ft. I have probably missed several in the Chinese cities, because I do not have complete information. But I think this will give a more realistic count:

Hong Kong - 295 total - 256 completed - 39 uc
New York - 194 - 186 - 8
Dubai - 119 - 28 - 91
Chicago - 98 - 87 - 11
Shanghai - 94 - 72 - 22
Tokyo - 88 - 67 - 21
Guangzhou - 60 - 42 - 18
Shenzhen - 53 - 36 - 17

If I have under-estimated anything, please feel free to add comments.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:48 AM
Super duper illustrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Boston and its skyline are so underrated on this forum while Toronto is hyped to the max (like its the same as NYC or something). Boston has two buildings proposed over 500'. The SST is schedule to break ground in the spring of 2007 with height around 650'. 115 Withrop Sq. is planned at 1,200' with its spire and 1,000' to the roof. Like most big cities, Boston has lots of buildings in the 450 to 500 foot range.
Thats because Toronto's scrapers are larger and taller, use 400ft+ instead of 500ft all of a sudden Toronto has a potential 76 towers comapared to 31 for boston (built, U/C, proposed). And then add the massive CN Tower into the skyline ontop of that.
And Toronto has allot more buildings proposed and U/C which naturaly ...gets more hype, If everything proposed in T.O right now were to be built it would have roughly 37 500+ towers. Currently there are (proposed or under construction) 1 over 1000ft, 4 over 700 ft, 4 over 600ft and a crapload over 500, and the boom doesnt seem to be stopping really.

Chicago gets more hype on the forum then Toronto because it pwns Toronto as Toronto pwns Boston lol, makes sense really, if people go condo crazy in Boston and Boston hits a good office boom then things will take off. Anyway, congrats Boston on your first 1000+ tower, never thought id see the day, should do wonders for the skyline

I used to be a schizphrenic, but we're okay now

My SSP diagram
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m15179

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 4:47 PM
Content provider

toronto a great city, but I was very surprised by low number

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 7:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 7:51 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
toronto a great city, but I was very surprised by low number
I guess with so many highrises, it is hard for those outside of the city to see just how NIMBY the city is when it comes to height. I wouldn't expect the roof height of FCP (city's tallest) to ever be topped

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 8:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

toronto's supposed lack of 500+ footers is really more academic than anything else beause downtown toronto is huge and vibrant and PACKED with highrises. true, it might not have dozens upon dozens of buildings over 500 feet, but it has a crapload of towers just under that range to give it that bonafide "Big City" feel. it's not like you could ever mistake downtown toronto for downtown milwaukee just because toronto doesn't have dozens towers over 500'. toronto is the real urban deal, and they're rapidly building taller these days, so this point will become rather moot in the not too distant future anyway.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
If counting NYC and Jersey City, the total comes to.........drum roll..........187 built and 11 u/c making it numero uno. NWTC towers plus countless proposals with potential supertalls.
Don't need to go to Jersey!

As some has already stated Emporis is not always up-to-date nor do they have height figures of all buildings under construction, especially residentials.
In NYC I count 9 that will meet the 500 ft criteria currently under construction, they are:

1) 125 West 31 st ( Epic) - 648ft
2) 123 Washington St. ( 4 Albany St.) - 53 stories; 583ft
3) 6-12 Barclay St- 584 ft.
4) 15 Central Park West - 550 ft.
5) Goldman Sachs- 740 ft
6) Beekman Tower - ~860 ft.
7) New York Times - 853 ft. ( spire 1,142ft)
8) Sky House - 588 ft
9) Saya - 544- 604 ft.

The following UC have no reported height but could potentially surpass 500ft.

10) 15 Williams Street - 47 floors
11) Trump Soho - 45 floors
12) River Place - 57 floors
13) 785 8th Ave - 566ft (per NYC DOB)

There is also a building in Queens (near Citi-bank) that is UC and possibly going to be 600ft. but, I've read nothing definitive.

Last edited by Antares41; Dec 20, 2006 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 11:37 PM

oops, wrong place

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilioo View Post
Thats because Toronto's scrapers are larger and taller, use 400ft+ instead of 500ft all of a sudden Toronto has a potential 76 towers comapared to 31 for boston (built, U/C, proposed). And then add the massive CN Tower into the skyline ontop of that.
And Toronto has allot more buildings proposed and U/C which naturaly ...gets more hype, If everything proposed in T.O right now were to be built it would have roughly 37 500+ towers. Currently there are (proposed or under construction) 1 over 1000ft, 4 over 700 ft, 4 over 600ft and a crapload over 500, and the boom doesnt seem to be stopping really.

Chicago gets more hype on the forum then Toronto because it pwns Toronto as Toronto pwns Boston lol, makes sense really, if people go condo crazy in Boston and Boston hits a good office boom then things will take off. Anyway, congrats Boston on your first 1000+ tower, never thought id see the day, should do wonders for the skyline
There's no question that Toronto has more highrises than Boston. Boston does not promote the highrise like many other big cities mainly because it has such a large and beautiful collection of older buildings that many don't want torn down. There was recent article in the Globe discussing the building boom in Boston....

http://www.boston.com/business/globe...0/boston_2020/

Most people don't realize what is going on in Boston because most of the buldings proposed and U/C are under 25 stories. They are devloping millions of square feet in Norhtpoint in Boston/Cambridge, tallest building 25 stories. They can't build lab and office space fast enough in Kendal square Cambridge, tallet building, ~25 stories. Boston's south Boston waterfront has millions of square feet of office, hotel, residential and retail going up now, tallest builing 300 ft. Theres a proposal to sell city hall and free up 9 prime acres DT for development, could support more height. The total number of highrise (12+) buildings U/C or proposed in Boston/Cambrigde (land area ~55 sq miles) is dozens. Harvard university has amassed somethng like 100 acres of old railyards in the Allston section of Boston, across the river from its Cambridge campus. With an endowment of $29 billion, it's hard to imaging the size of the projects they are planning but the are calling it a new city. Again the tallest building will probably be 25 stories. There are also many proposals for taller buildings many of which are approved and will get built including 1 over 1000ft, 1 over 800 ft, 1 over 600ft and a bunch over 400' including a hirise at Filenes, Columbus Center, province st., the Clarendon, North Sation tower etc. Boston is unlikely to ever have the height of Toronto, but it has a massive CBD area and is extremely dense and walkable. The huge, multi-building projects and decent number of highrises will increase the extent of its ubanity. While not the tallest city, it's closing in on 20 buildings over 500 ft with the new poposals.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 5:55 AM

what about quality of life and culture? These forums are so fascinating and I must admit quite addictive; however, one thing many cities lack is a "city vibe" that's hard to quantify in numbers of towers and average tower heights etc. NYC, Chicago, Tokyo, London, Paris, Sao Paulo etc.. have "city vibes" that few would question. Atlanta? Dubai? Las Vegas? I'm not convinced of their urban quality. I prefer cities where there's lots of street life with diversity represented on the sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2007, 8:23 AM
I'm a squirrel...

what are the three buildings in construction in Sao Paulo? they are not exist.
You just build to destroy, while I collect some nuts and you all suck!

Copyright Jonathan Ian Mathers. Visit: www.illwillpress.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture