HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:46 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Actually the only $300 million I would spend on the education system is on costs associated with blowing it up and rebuilding it in a way so that it actually works. We do not need to throw more money at the existing dysfunctional system.
That is one thing that we are in complete agreement on.

It isn't even just the fundamental 3-Rs that kids aren't learning... although it is certainly true that there are way too many kids who are getting pushed through without getting the basics down.

For me it is a dysfunctional system that does nothing but produce robots that are unable to do anything but regurgitate "facts". It is a spectacular fundamental failure of the education system North America-wide that students are never taught to observe, question their observations, and draw their own conclusions. Instead students are taught to blindly accept what they are told, and regurgitate it back.

Doing so doesn't create "citizens", it creates lemmings who follow off the cliff whomever is yelling the loudest. There are times when I cannot understand why people have accepted a "fact" that is so clearly illogical and false, and then I think about our education system and realize why that is.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy