HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:26 AM

Sadly once it's announced that the developers intend to build some 20-story apartment buildings on the Canada Packers sight I'm sure there will be many residents saying, "Over my dead body!"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:51 AM
Back from the dead

A medium to high density neighborhood would be fantastic at this location. People in Canada have this idea that anything over 3 stories is too tall and it will just be an urban jungle.

Here's a picture I took of my "neighborhood" from my unrenovated apartment a few days ago.

In any case, the point is that it's not just bare concrete everywhere. My area isn't particularly attractive but there are plenty of others that look much better. Usually there's quite a bit of landscaping involved.

Yes, there are traffic issues. I'm pretty sure they're mainly related to driving deficiencies among the local population but that's just conjecture. Either way, a development along these lines isn't going to destroy the "peaceful" character of Marion or Archibald. As well, sooner or later the city is going to put some sort of grade separation at that corner and relieve the major issues with traffic. The roads themselves can definitely handle the extra traffic volume.

My fear is that they'll just put up more of the usual cookie-cutter shit. Yeah, it's infill but so what? The land could be put to such better use especially considering that eventually there will be a rapid transit connection right along that corridor on Archibald.

Last edited by Spocket; Oct 1, 2018 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:58 PM

Hopefully the city uses this opportunity to do a big refresh of Archibald – new streetscaping, expanded sidewalks and AT. Drove almost the full length this weekend, it's so desolate north of Gareault, but has a lot of potential as a major AT route, and future RT to the north.

There's enough room to expand the sidewalks for AT paths on most of it where there isn't already one, might just take a little creativity near the last few remaining industrial yards north of Marion. With its proximity to downtown, St. Boniface/Provencher, future RT plans and eventually AT on Provencher, proximity to a lot of jobs and industry – it really does seem ripe for a medium-high density Village-type development. Amazing potential here.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:48 PM

"My biggest fear is traffic," explained Micheline Fay, a resident of St. Boniface. It's already so dense on Archibald and Marion Streets. But I heard that maybe they were going to widen Marion Street. We'll see. "

Really?? So dense?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:29 PM

Key to the success of any development of the old Stockyards land is the relocation of Loveday Mushroom Farms, less than two miles to the northwest as the crow flies. With north-westerlies prevailing for a good portion of the year, it would be a difficult sell to encourage people to make a significant investment and live with the smell.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:09 PM

The city and Loveday have made public statements that they are working together on trying to find a suitable new home.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:24 PM

just east of theres there's a Rothsay animal by products plant that gives of stench too. Smells like bologna!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:12 AM

Some pretty nice new infill developments proposed for St. Boniface.

The 277 Provencher is confusing what is the jail house?
  • 139 Notre Dame St
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/139...!4d-97.1253026

• 277 Provencher Blvd
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/277...!4d-97.1175544

• 235 Dumoulin St
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/235...!4d-97.1200569

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Mar 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:02 AM

210 rue Masson

• 210 rue Masson
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/210...5!4d-97.120443

https://twitter.com/barbaragorrand/s...58973620539393

Earlier rejected proposal by residents, 8 storey being too tall.

Quote:
https://www.la-liberte.ca/2018/03/07...aint-boniface/
JASON VAN ROOY, MARKETING AND CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER AT TOWERS REALTY GROUP
We want to build a building at 210, rue Masson. For four months in 2016 and 2017, we held consultations with the general public, residents of neighboring buildings, the Saint-Boniface municipal councilor Mathieu Allard, as well as several organizations, such as the Université de Saint-Boniface.

Initially, we proposed an eight-story building, like the Colombian Home which is next door. Our dialogue with the audience allowed us to understand that eight floors was too big for a street corner. Especially since we must also incorporate the former Normal School, a historic building.

At our next public consultation, which will take place on March 12 (1), we will therefore propose a four-storey building with nearly 55 apartments. The suites will be of varying sizes, from 600 square feet to 1,000 square feet, to cater to multiple clienteles, such as USB students, couples and families.

Offering a smaller building has also allowed us to rethink how we will incorporate the former Normal School. This historic building will be much better highlighted. Three sides of the building will be surrounded by green areas. The street corner will be nice to see.

After consulting the public again, we hope to request the necessary zoning variance for the City. Of course, since we are dealing with a historic building, it will also require the approval of the City's Historic Buildings and Resources Committee. We hope to move forward quickly, as public approval will be obtained. We hope to start our work this year.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:42 PM

that's alot of development for old St.B, love it! but confused on Provencher one, 277 Provencher is Chaise cafe, not a jailhouse.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:48 PM

Too bad the locals NIMBYed the original Masson proposal. It looks nice, and around there 8 storeys would not really be out of scale with the surroundings.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 1:11 PM
There is always a way

F*cking hell! The nimbys are stifling investment into our city and preventing it from reaching its potential. I bet these people would oppose opening Portage and main if it were in st boniface too.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:10 PM

Development in St. B seems to be really mushrooming.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that's alot of development for old St.B, love it! but confused on Provencher one, 277 Provencher is Chaise cafe, not a jailhouse.
Chaise Cafe Is 271 not 277.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 5:04 PM

Seriously.. Winnipeg can't have nice things because the people are stupid.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:32 PM

Great developments. 277 Provencher and 139 Notre Dame are normal houses, with 277 being recently redone – not sure where they're proposing. That one also looks hideous.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
  • 210 rue Masson
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/210...5!4d-97.120443

https://twitter.com/barbaragorrand/s...58973620539393

Earlier rejected proposal by residents, 8 storey being too tall.
Too big for a street corner my ass! Seeing as it is halfway between a university and a busy street I don't see how that height is problematic.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 8:34 PM

Did exterior work ever get underway at 123 Marion?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:01 PM

"After community consultation with the residents of St. Boniface, we made some adjustments to the original plan..."

*unveils rendering of a one-story bungalow with vinyl siding and a car on cinder blocks in the front yard*

*st. B residents give standing ovation*

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:03 PM

@DanHarperPhoto
Hey @mathieuallard the riverbank project looks great from the air! I can't wait to see the views when it's done. (I just hope they get rid of the trees in the way) #Winnipeg @StBoniface #Winnipegphotography
https://twitter.com/DanHarperPhoto/s...54482955476993

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan