HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:51 AM
Londoner

London's Malls

Westmount models Galleria
London's mall wars are officially over.
The company that manages the Westmount Shopping Centre says London is "over-retailed" and the suburban mall is becoming a mixed-use complex, following the lead of Galleria London.
The mall wars broke out in the 1980s and early 90s with the rapid expansion of Westmount, White Oaks and Masonville Place and the creation of Galleria London.
Masonville and White Oaks are thriving, but for the past 10 years, Galleria has been filling up vacant retail space with office and institutional tenants.
Galleria will soon relaunch under a new name, Citi Plaza. Michael Dobrijevic of Bentall LP, managers of Westmount, said the mall is following the "same pattern" as Galleria.

"Obviously London is over-retailed, certainly in the mall sector, with two strong malls, and we don't need a third one in Westmount," he said. The second floor has been emptying out for years. Some merchants have moved to the ground floor.
The Cineplex movie theatre will soon move out to a new building in the rear parking lot, leaving only the food court and a single rug retailer on the second floor. The future of the food court, a fixture of suburban malls, is up in the air. "We're still contemplating where it should go, if it should go, or if we should have one altogether," Dobrijevic said.
He said retail would be concentrated on the first floor of the mall and the company is looking for office/commercial tenants for the second floor, although some retail may remain. Dobrijevic said Westmount offers office-commercial tenants a large underground parking garage and an expanded London Transit Commission bus terminal. The office vacancy numbers also favour Westmount.
A study by CB Richard Ellis predicts the suburban office vacancy rate will be 9.3% in 2009 compared to 14.3% in the city core. The study says suburban office space rents for about $9 a square foot compared to $11 in the core. New buildings have sprung up in the Westmount parking lot, catering to stand-alone tenants who need features such as drive-throughs.
TD Canada Trust, a long-time tenant, has moved into a new building in the parking lot that includes a drive-through. A building on the southeast corner, that formerly housed TD Canada Trust, will soon be demolished to make room for two 5,000 sq. ft. family restaurants. One will be Shoeless Joe's, a sport-themed restaurant, new to the London market. Bentall is still looking for the second restaurant tenant. The original supermarket anchor, now under the A&P nameplate, has signed a long-term lease and will soon renovate and rebrand as a Metro store.
Westmount opened in 1971, anchored by a Dominion supermarket and 15 retail shops. It was expanded in 1973 and 1981 and reconstructed in 1989 with Zellers and Eatons (now Sears) as anchor tenants. Westmount was once owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund but is now owned by a consortium of investors.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:53 AM
Londoner

Westmount Mall evacuated

Westmount Mall evacuated

Fri, May 1, 2009

Westmount Shopping Centre was evacuated this afternoon after a fire broke out on the roof

A fire at busy Westmount Shopping Centre forced the evacuation of staff and patrons this afternoon.

Emergency crews cleared customers and staff out of the west-end mall just after 2 p.m. after a fire broke out in an electrical room on the roof.

People were being let into the underground parking lot to collect their vehicles at around 4 p.m., said Celeste Nickel, the shopping centre's general manager.

Officials don't know when the mall will reopen, including whether or not it will be open this weekend.

London Fire Department Platoon Chief Ken Purdy said five trucks were called to the scene and located a fire in the area on the roof that houses a transformer.

No one was hurt in the incident.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 1:54 AM
Londoner

Masonville getting new Store!!!!!

Update!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlewis91

Masonville is getting an Aritzia

next to the LuLulemon Store

Talk about upscale designer brand coming to London...

other locations are (Toronto (9), Calgary (3), Edmonton (2), Ottawa (2), Kitchener (1), Winnipeg (1), Seattle (1), and San Jose (1), San Fransisco (1)

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Saw the New Star Trek movie at the grand opening of the Westmount cinemas. Excellent movie, and really nice cinemas.

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Saw the New Star Trek movie at the grand opening of the Westmount cinemas. Excellent movie, and really nice cinemas.
I took in Star Trek at the same theatre, in one of the VIP auditoriums. Have to say I was mightily impressed by the quality of the digital projection and sound systems and the seating - and the movie too, which I thought was one of the best movies I've seen over the last ten years.

I found the design of the new Westmount cinemas to be simple but pleasant, not overdone like Silver City, which desperately needs to ditch its late 1990s design ethic and go for a makeover. Amazingly, the lobby of the new cinema was actually quiet, not ear-splittingly loud like it is at Silver City. Kids might like that kind of noise and excitement, but middle-aged farts like me do not.

The look and feel of the VIP cinemas was nice too, not unlike a slick, upscale restaurant, and the service was superb. In fact I was surprised by the quality of service, considering that it was opening night, and glitches are often the norm for any grand opening.

The only quibble I had was that ticket and food prices were a little high in the VIP cinemas, but for a movie as good as Star Trek is, I'd gladly pay a little more for admission again.

This new cinema actually has the potential to completely turn Westmount Mall around. No, it won't return to the glory days it saw in the 1970s, but with the right mix of shopping, restaurants and entertainment venues, it should do very well.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:19 AM
Londoner

Downtown mall gets fresh restart

Fri, May 8, 2009

Galleria London was reborn yesterday as Citi Plaza.
Hundreds of staff and shoppers gathered in the new atrium entrance on Wellington Street as the complex was officially relaunched after an eight-year, $25-million makeover.

Lucas Blois of Arcturus Realty, managers of the complex, said the new mix of office, educational, service businesses and traditional retail makes sense for the downtown.

"It is not about filling space but making use of space in a way that makes sense for our tenants and those who live and work in downtown London," Blois said.

Blois noted the complex had its roots in Wellington Square, which opened in 1960 as North America's first enclosed mall.

In 1989, after a $175 million reconstruction and expansion, Galleria London was born as an elite retail mall. But shoppers stayed away during the recession of the early '90s and Galleria starting losing tenants.

The mall was at its lowest ebb in 2001 when it was bought by the investment arm of Canadian Commercial Workers Industry Pension Plan, which held a mortgage on the property.

Eugene Fraser, vice-president of the investment fund, said the new owner made the tough decision to scrap the original concept of Galleria.

"We came to the grim realization that to achieve our goals it was necessary to eliminate over 400,000 square feet of retail space, a task not appealing to any developer," Fraser said.

During the years, the vacant retail space has been filled with tenants such as Stevenson Hunt Insurance, satellite campuses of the University of Western Ontario and Fanshawe College and, more recently, Citi Cards Canada, the major office tenant.

The retail space on the south side has been extensively renovated and the northern retail portion will be completed next year.

New retail tenants include Cotton Ginny, the Country Style Bistro and the Fox and Fiddle, a renovated pub that replaces the Elephant and Castle.

Joe Serratore has operated a shoe repair business in the mall for 10 years and just opened an environmentally friendly dry cleaning outlet nearby.

Serratore said the retail space has undergone a dramatic transformation and he credited Blois for helping remake the image of the mall.

"With the previous managers, I was losing faith, but Lucas told me he could turn this around and I believed him," Serratore said.

Last edited by ldoto; May 12, 2009 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
I took in Star Trek at the same theatre, in one of the VIP auditoriums. Have to say I was mightily impressed by the quality of the digital projection and sound systems and the seating - and the movie too, which I thought was one of the best movies I've seen over the last ten years.

I found the design of the new Westmount cinemas to be simple but pleasant, not overdone like Silver City, which desperately needs to ditch its late 1990s design ethic and go for a makeover. Amazingly, the lobby of the new cinema was actually quiet, not ear-splittingly loud like it is at Silver City. Kids might like that kind of noise and excitement, but middle-aged farts like me do not.

The look and feel of the VIP cinemas was nice too, not unlike a slick, upscale restaurant, and the service was superb. In fact I was surprised by the quality of service, considering that it was opening night, and glitches are often the norm for any grand opening.

The only quibble I had was that ticket and food prices were a little high in the VIP cinemas, but for a movie as good as Star Trek is, I'd gladly pay a little more for admission again.

This new cinema actually has the potential to completely turn Westmount Mall around. No, it won't return to the glory days it saw in the 1970s, but with the right mix of shopping, restaurants and entertainment venues, it should do very well.

My thoughts exactly (I am another fart approaching middle-age...well, I will be fourty soon). Did not go for the VIP theatre, though. I like the calming atmosphere of the lobby (still had the jarring sounds of airhockey, though). And I am completely in agreement: SilverCity needs a revamp...ditch the flying guys on bicycles, for one)

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 4:41 PM
Londoner

Masonville hails farmer's market

MASONVILLE PLACE: The mall is a partner in the market, located in the northwest corner of the mall parking lot Finally.

That was the word of the day as a new farmers' market opened in the Masonville Place parking lot yesterday.

It's the latest venture for Dave Cook, who founded the Fire Roasted Coffee Co., and took over operation of the Western Fair farmers' market last year.

Cook is convinced suburban northwest London is ready for a real farmers' market. Until now, they've been downtown or in the east end.

"A lot of the people here today are north Londoners and the phrase that a lot of the vendors are hearing is 'finally,' " he said.

Cook brought in a number of vendors who also sell at his Saturday market at Western Fair

Among them was Jeff Pastorius, who sells certified organic vegetables and herbs.

Pastorius was confident suburbanites want an alternative to the big supermarket chains.

"We are seeing a lot of bikes roll up. People no longer have to take the bus or go downtown," he said.

One of those cyclists was Celeste D'Andrea, a senior who lives a few blocks south of the mall.

"This is good to have. It's about time," he said, leaning over his handlebars.

The market had about two dozen vendors on opening day selling vegetables, baked goods, potted plants, snacks and crafts.

The only seasonal local produce available so far is asparagus and herbs.

But Cook said the number of vendors would grow as more crops come into season. He has deals with about a dozen farmers to sell their produce this season.

Masonville Place is a partner in the new farmers' market and is helping out with internal promotion with the mall's customers and employees.

The market is in the northwest corner of the mall parking lot. It will operate Fridays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. until the end of October

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 3:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

What about the horrid "London mall"? Once had a Price Chopper to counter the Sears Outlet centre. Depressing a mall as there ever was. Oh, and some Indian-run place advertising "Samosas...and Fax!" (talk about one-stop shopping )

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What about the horrid "London mall"? Once had a Price Chopper to counter the Sears Outlet centre. Depressing a mall as there ever was. Oh, and some Indian-run place advertising "Samosas...and Fax!" (talk about one-stop shopping )
Ah yes, this thing...the mall's high point for me was when it had a Merla Mae Ice Cream from about 1996-1998, where H&R Block now is. Used to be a DQ in that spot, until it moved to the Fleetway 40.

(Photo taken by me on January 16, 2008)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 3:08 AM
The Vomit Bag.

argyle mall and oxbury mall suck beyond belief. and London Mall: Samosa and Fax! one stop shopping!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:15 PM

I read smatterings of the changes at Westmount Mall, but can't really get a handle on the overall plan.

Does a coherent plan exist in an article somewhere that I've missed? Have there been any site plans released?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 2:35 PM
Londoner

Tenants displaced by mall demolition

RETAIL: Plans to tear down part of Westmount Shopping Centre have store owners scrambling

By NORMAN DE BONO, The London Free Press

The mall owner plans to demolish the section of the mall where Shaw's store is located and Shaw says she can't afford the cost of renovating a new space in the mall, or the higher rent.

A move by Westmount Shopping Centre to demolish part of its building is pushing some retailers out of the south end mall.

The mall has applied to tear down up to 80,000 square feet to make way for more parking, and retailers being pushed out of the area to be torn down have been hit by increases in rents to relocate, as well as high renovation costs on their new space, and little time to move, they said Friday.

"It's been nerve wracking," said Nancy Shaw, who is closing the Merle Norman store, the mall's oldest tenant, there for 37 years. "Your whole life is turned upside down."

About five years ago, Shaw moved from the top floor to the main floor, paying $70,000 to renovate a new store. The mall has told her she must now pay $130,000 to renovate a new space, and pay an increase of $2,500 on her rent of $5,000 a month -- a 50% increase. Shaw can't afford it and is opting for retirement.

She also has had little communication from the mall management or its owner, Bentall, adding the mall is pushing them out quickly.

"The information has been very limited and we got termination notices saying we had to be out by the end of the month," she added.

Bentall could not be reached for comment, but realtor Tim Schnurr believes the moves will make for a more viable shopping centre.

"The focus is to make it a more vibrant community centre. We need to reposition the ground floor to focus it differently," he said.

Bentall has applied to the city for approval for the changes and city staff does not anticipate any hurdles to the demolition, said Bruce Henry, the city's manager of site plan approval.

"It is an effort by the owner to revitalize it, make it more attractive and I know they are busy marketing it," said Henry.

The mall will demolish the former movie theatres, as they are now closed, and much of the area below it, all the way to the Merle Norman store. Tenants in the area to be demolished have to be out by the end of March. The mall wants the demolition to happen this summer with changes completed by year end.

The Metro grocery store and two clothing retailers opposite it, Sirens and Urban Planet, will be a stand-alone building.

The mall also is looking to create building sites facing Wonderland and Viscount roads where restaurants or other stores could be located.

Like many others, Brenda Trudel, who owns Riverbed Aqua Massage, has been driven out by the rent hike. She will open her store in Elgin Mall, in St. Thomas, Monday after she was told she must pay a 25% increase and sign a five-year lease at Westmount.

"I could go on and on about what has happened here and how we have been treated," said Trudel. "I am starting all over again, after four years here."

The mall's second floor is becoming office space, with London Health Sciences Centre opening a renal dialysis centre, a health clinic and a physiotherapy centre.

Outside his salon, Stylish Plus, Ron Bonasia wants the uncertainty to end.

"It is good and bad. At the end, it may be really good, but we are concerned about losing business . . . It could have been handled gracefully," said the tenant of 16 years, who will move to a new location in the mall.

"Now, it is like a bad dream, I just want to wake up and it will all be over."

Old Posted Mar 29, 2010, 7:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^just rolling the dice. or, throwing jello at the wall and seeing if it will stick.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 4:02 AM
Londoner

Major retailers choose core

Major retailers choose core

It’s being touted as a turnaround for downtown London.

Two major fashion retailers, Fairweather and Stockhomme, will call the core home after their intital plans to locate in a suburban mall were sidelined by a visit to CitiPlaza, the former Galleria London.

“This is the best news. They were going elsewhere, but then they decided to go downtown,” said Janette MacDonald, manager of Downtown London.

“This is a giant step in the right direction of attracting other national retailers downtown. It is a tipping point for us.”

Fairweather sells women’s fashions and Stockhomme offers young men’s styles. They’ll open by year-end, in time for Christmas shopping, said Paul Brener, vice-president of finance for INC Group, which owns the stores.

INC was attracted by the business tenants on the upper floors of CitiPlaza, as well as the downtown office mix, he said.

“We like the demographics of that area. We have seen the expansion of that centre and the type of clients that go there,” said Brener.

INC Group’s president toured London’s core, and that was the deciding factor in locating the stores in CitiPlaza, Brener added.

“We feel this will be a very good location for us,” Brener said.

Both stores will occupy the former Rockwaters pub in the plaza. The outside wall facing Clarence St. will become glass, with a street entrance to the store.

“We have been working on this a long time, more than three years, and we convinced them this is the right location,” said Lucas Blois, manager of CitiPlaza.

“Retail has had their struggles the last few years, but look at the TD towers, London Life — there are young professionals here and these stores are their target market,” said Blois. “This is great for the city.”

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 3:13 PM

this is gonna be great especialy that they are building an enterence on the street and as an added bonus its all glass

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 5:09 PM

Excellent - still wonder if they'll ever attract main stays like what you see in the big malls. Or is this strictly going to cater to the business people nearby on their lunch breaks?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2010, 2:20 AM
The Vomit Bag.

A good vote of confidence in the core.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
bro

Smile

Maybe this will actually bring a bit of life back to Clarence. These stores don't really interest me, but anything that gets some feet back onto that dead street is completely welcome in my books.

Next I'd like to see something interesting done with that huge parking lot on King across from Novacks.

PS. How much does it cost to see a movie at Silver City these days? I saw Scott Pilgrim at the Rainbow last weekend and was pretty surprised that a ticket cost me 8 bucks. Considering the size and quality of the theatre I thought it was a little silly.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 1:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

American Apparel is broke (bankrupt). good riddance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation