HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 9:09 AM

Yeah, the Jays are definitely feeling the heat and it's the first week of the season! Amazing. And it's great to see good, vocal crowds. Again, it's only April! Jays fans are showing, once again, that if the organisation is serious about winning, they'll come out and support the team. If they're in the heat of it down the stretch, I would expect 3MM plus to pass through the gates.

Anyway, in spite of their record, I'm quite happy with what I've seen. They're going to have an amazing offense and the pitching looks like it won't be too far behind. Happ looked great on Saturday. Ricky who?

Something's gotta give in the AL East, though. I mean, with five really good teams, who isn't going to be competing for the pennant?? Whomever comes out of that division will either be too exhausted to go any farther or destroy the competition. It's hard to say right now and besides, it's April!

OK. OK. Blue Jays. Blue Jays. Let's-play-ball!!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 6:20 PM
Beefeater

Well this is getting ugly. Really nothing good to say about that series in Detroit. Even the come back win was probably equal share poor Detroit pitching. Aside from tonight the weather will be a little warmer than Detroit but they are running into a hot Royals team. 4-8 would be an ugly first two weeks.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 9:13 AM

I'm starting to panic a little - they look absolutely terrible right now.

I keep reminding myself, however, that they started the '89 season 12-24 only to turn things around and win the pennant. The division wasn't nearly as competitive as it is now, though.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 5:43 PM
Beefeater

Just when you could see the offense turning it around Reyes gets carted off the field. Reports are saying the best case is 1 month but after watching it happen and seeing him cry as he's carted of the field I think 1 month is highly optimistic. This could be truly devastating.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:43 AM

I don't even understand what happened on that play. He seemed confused and then slid at the very last moment. Weird.

I haven't read any reports yet but it doesn't look good. That said, his ankle didn't appear to be flopping around at all, so it's possible he didn't tear a ligament. It could be a break. It could also be a sprain. It never ceases to amaze me how painful a sprain is. If it is, then he'd only be out for 2-4 weeks. At least he didn't pull a Moises Alou. Jesus.

Why? Why? Why????????????

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 10:49 AM

Jose Reyes was on crutches Saturday as he positioned himself against a wall in the Blue Jays' clubhouse and talked about the severe left ankle sprain that is expected to sideline him for about three months.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

Totally gutted. He won't be back 'til July. And when he comes back, will he have the same spring in his step? He was on pace for 200+ hits and 50+ steals. We'll have to be content with a healthy Reyes heading down the stretch. Hopefully the team will be in the thick of it when he returns.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:20 PM
Beefeater

I still don't think they have a real good idea on how long he's going to be out for. There was too much swelling for the MRI to give conclusive results.

AA said that Reyes had thought it was a foul ball then looked over his shoulder and saw the throw coming. He normally slides head first and not with this feet. Totally screwed up play and unfortunately it ended up hurting him.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:28 PM
Beefeater

Doctors are now saying 8 weeks for Reyes' return.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 2:32 PM

With Lawrie coming back this week, things might not be so bad. Infield defense has been an issue for us.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 1:32 PM

Good news about Reyes and yeah, it's nice to see Lawrie back in the lineup. I'm still worried about this team, though.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:28 PM
Beefeater

Agreed! Bautista needs to suck it up a little. He's missed half their games and the offense is struggling enough with him in there, being shut down far too often. Also when the Jays pitching blows up it's with one hell of a bang. The only team not to have hammered the Jays pitching at least once in a series is the Royals.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 3:55 AM

The lack of offense is inexplicable.

The iffy defense was expected.

The poor pitching is worrying.

I feel sorry for Chad Motolla and Pete Walker - they must be sweating bullets.

This team is definitely choking on those heady expectations.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 10:00 AM

Why does every team the Jays play look like a World Series contender?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 4:03 PM

I worry about Bautista too.

Sometimes I wonder if his heart is in it as much as it used to be. He doesn't seem at all willing to play through the pain. Although maybe it is too early for an all-star player to play through the pain.

I don't know if I am worried about the team or not. They have gotten off to good starts the past three seasons and tanked midway through may or june, it's such a long season it's hard to pass judgements at this point.

Probably the expectations of the season were out of line with reality though. The Blue Jays have some good players and depth, but so do a lot of other teams. Their pitching has been more solid of late, and I Dickie seems to have settled down a lot over his last 2-3 starts, which is a great thing. I think Toronto fans need to be less worried about the team's performance, and simply more enamored with how great of a sport baseball really is.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 1:30 AM
Beefeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
Why does every team the Jays play look like a World Series contender?
Unfortunately I think that says more about the Jays then who they are playing at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I worry about Bautista too.

Sometimes I wonder if his heart is in it as much as it used to be. He doesn't seem at all willing to play through the pain. Although maybe it is too early for an all-star player to play through the pain.

I can only assume he's not well enough to play. And, yes, better he sit out now and be 100% later on.

I don't know if I am worried about the team or not. They have gotten off to good starts the past three seasons and tanked midway through may or june, it's such a long season it's hard to pass judgements at this point.

True enough. There's lots of time to turn things round. They could continue to play like this through May before we have to really start pushing the panic button.

Probably the expectations of the season were out of line with reality though. The Blue Jays have some good players and depth, but so do a lot of other teams. Their pitching has been more solid of late, and I Dickie seems to have settled down a lot over his last 2-3 starts, which is a great thing.

Yeah, there are a lot of good teams out there but Las Vegas had them ranked number 1 heading into the season, so it's hard not to get a little excited. I still think this is one of the best teams in MLB but they're gonna need some luck along the way...lots of it.

I think Toronto fans need to be less worried about the team's performance, and simply more enamored with how great of a sport baseball really is.

Unfortunately, this isn't the time for just sitting back and enjoying the sights and sounds of baseball. A major investment's been made in this team and the lineup is stocked with all-stars. I wouldn't suggest the Jays have to win it all this season but they're gonna have to get close...really close. If they don't win some games and put more bums in the seats, then ownership will start getting jittery.
I, for one, need to take a little break from the Jays. Watching 162 games and living and dying on every pitch isn't healthy.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 5:03 PM
Beefeater

Ain't that the truth. I'm finding greys I didn't know I had.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 8:35 PM

I think I'm losing interest in watching this team. They're just not that good. They're losing in very ugly ways.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 3:06 PM

Damn, off to Baltimore now - it's not getting any easier.

If they don't string a couple wins together soon, Lawrie's gonna start punching people - hard. Baseball must be excruciating for somebody with his personality.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:54 PM
Beefeater

Another game, another couple of crucial errors, and another lousy pitcher doing his impression of Cy Young. All adds up to another Jays loss.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto