HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 7:30 AM
Karma Police

Actually, it's 3 buildings...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 8:24 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX
Actually, it's 3 buildings...
really, that is cool.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:14 PM

Downtown Portland News

Downtown prospects called bright
Fur store reaction - Businesses and property owners say their top worry is surviving intense construction
Sunday, December 03, 2006
RANDY GRAGG
The Oregonian

With Gregg Schumacher's dramatic announcement that he's taking his fur store to the suburbs, a big hole has opened in Portland's downtown.

But let's take a walk around the block. Schumacher is leaving behind what prominent developer John Carroll calls a retailer's dream, a "1,000 percent spot" -- the crossroads of some major new opportunities in a rebounding downtown.

Within a few blocks, construction is under way on the city's first international-level luxury hotel, an urban park, hundreds of new condos and a revitalized transit mall.

Schumacher said that a combination of panhandlers, anti-fur protesters and urine-stained parking garages have made the Portland downtown "not conducive to running a retail operation."

But business people and property owners new and old say that though downtown has its problems, its prospects are bright. Many said their biggest worry was surviving the next two years of intense construction to reap the benefits of the biggest urban comeback since the 1970s.

"Nobody's been more negative about downtown than me," says Greg Goodman, whose family is downtown's largest property owner. "But I think we've finally turned the corner."

Goodman said that Schumacher's departure is an anomaly. In fact, the fur store sits on the leading edge of a westward expansion of downtown stretching from the new Brewery Blocks development to Carroll's recently finished Eliot Tower. Goodman's family is co-developing a half-block at 12th and Washington into a new headquarters for Portland's architecture firm, ZGF. Four of the city's top developers are vying to transform the Morrison Park Garage across the street from Schumacher into an office, retail and condo tower.

"You can feel all the infrastructure going in," says Richard Singer, one of the city's most prominent retail landlords. "You can feel the changes in everybody's attitudes. The West End is truly joining downtown."

Developers and property owners, of course, have a long view of change. Business owners are anxiously watching the clouds on shorter horizons, what prominent leasing agent Mark New calls "the perfect storm" of construction projects: the remodel of the transit mall, Macy's and Park Block 5, where a park-topped garage is being built.

To be sure, downtown has taken some hits in recent years. New points to the area's first "lifestyle center," Bridgeport Village in Tigard, which captured Crate & Barrel, Ann Taylor Loft and Anthropologie, first-timers to the Portland-area market and destination stores that almost always locate in downtowns. Singer notes that Portland's own increasingly vibrant neighborhood retail districts such as Northwest 23rd and Southeast Hawthorne have drained innovative smaller independent stores.

Meantime, Portland's beloved urban fabric of historic buildings is a problem when it comes to signing new stores. Big national chains favor huge new open spaces and often prefer two-story corners like those occupied by Nordstrom Rack or Banana Republic.

Because of their drawing power, national retailers demand expensive building upgrades at the landlord's expense, according to Lew Bowers, the Portland Development Commission's lead downtown negotiator. "We have a lot of small-time property owners who can't bear the weight of helping out all of downtown."

But to most local retailers, those are winds blowing high above their bottom line.

"I don't really follow any of that stuff," Schumacher says. "I listen to the people coming in the door. They've been overwhelmingly supportive of my decision."

City's campaign lauded

But other retailers don't seem to be hearing the same chorus.

Judith Head operates Josephine's Dry Goods at Southwest Alder and 11th, four blocks from Schumacher. She survived light rail's construction but still shudders at how many businesses did not. She wishes the city had better mediated Schumacher's conflict with the protesters. But she says her customers do not complain about downtown.

"The streetcar has been huge for us," she says. "We're getting lots of tourists. On Sundays, there's no place to park."

Nearby, Sean Igo and Craig Olson opened their design shop, Canoe, last year, after long, careful research about the area. "It's super vibrant here," Igo says, volunteering that even a killing a few months ago in a doorway across the street hasn't dimmed his enthusiasm. "I'm from Minneapolis. It's a ghost town compared to here."

David Mosher, who has operated Art Media at the same corner of Southwest Yamhill and Ninth since 1974, says he has worked downtown so long that he no longer notices panhandlers. But he is eyeing the perfect construction storm's first pelting: the park-topped garage being dug 20 feet from his front door. He said he's seen a 10 percent drop in monthly transactions over last year.

Mosher says he only barely survived the building of light rail two decades ago. He's already had to fight the new garage's contractor, Hoffman Construction, all the way to City Hall just to keep the adjacent sidewalk open.

Mosher appreciates the city's promotional campaign. He and three other businesses adjacent to the garage construction are getting free radio ads promoting coupons -- the discounts of which, he notes, the businesses are paying for.

"If we can have 1 percent for art," he says, referring to a program that allows developers to build higher if they put up art, "why can't we have a little rent relief for those of us these projects hurt?"

Portland Planning Director Gil Kelley has said the city will review its bonus development program for art and other amenities beginning next year. But that project will take at least two years to complete. Meantime, the PDC charter limits urban renewal funds to building improvements, Bowers said.

Potter initiative praised

Tim Greve's family has operated one of downtown's oldest stores, Carl Greve jewelers, for 84 of Schumacher's 111 years. He's moving, too -- two blocks east -- to the long-empty former home of The Gap at Southwest Morrison and Broadway.

Tim Greve often has been a vocal critic on downtown issues from city policies to fellow business owners' practices. He is worried about the construction but is buoyed by all the new development and the city's new promotion campaign.

But Greve and other business leaders say they are elated about a new initiative Mayor Tom Potter has crafted with civil rights and homeless activists that links new day-bed shelters with an ordinance barring people from obstructing "high pedestrian zones."

"This is going to be a rough period," he says. "But I think the direction is good. If we can address a tough social issue while creating a better street environment, we'll have hit the trifecta."

Greve is sad to see a fellow luxury retailer go.

"But each retailer needs to look at downtown as an environment," Greve says, "and decide whether it's a positive or negative influence."

Randy Gragg: 503-221-8575; randygragg@news.oregonian.com

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/ind...an?lcfp&coll=7

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:19 PM

Goodman is such a joke. If anything is holding back downtown its his nasty, unkept, surface parking lots.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:26 PM

^I agree cab, I've always found it interesting how the number one property owner in Portland, that also holds the majority of vacant lots in downtown, can criticize the environment he himself is contributing too.

anyway, the fact the Goodman and Greve are complimenting and sticking up for downtown is a huge change.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:38 PM

Portland hotel rooms hop past $200 per night mark
Increases in corporate rate signal a strengthening market
Portland Business Journal - December 1, 2006
by Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer
Charlie Koppenburg | Portland Business Journal

Portland's green reputation may take on a different meaning for corporate road warriors looking for a place to rest their heads.

For the first time, the price for a downtown hotel room is over $200 as Portland's hospitality industry rides a wave of prosperity.

In a semi-annual snapshot of local hotel rates, three of Portland's most prominent places to stay -- the Benson Hotel, the Heathman Hotel and Hotel Lucia -- all quoted corporate rates above the $200 mark, well over the rates they gave last spring, according to a biannual survey of local hotels by The Dundon Co. LLC, a real estate brokerage specializing in hospitality properties.

"I think it does reflect the continuing strengthening of the market," said Ed Dundon, principal.

The results of the September survey were released in November and show hoteliers gaining confidence to raise rates as demand for rooms remains strong.

Among Portland area hotels, 98 increased the rate they quote to corporate customers, 38 lowered them and 36 stayed put.

Some of the leading downtown hotels say the market is going strong after four years of recovering from the 2001 economic slump.

"It's been a great year overall, not only for the Heathman, but all the downtown hotels," said Stephen Galvan, director of sales and marketing for The Heathman, a 150-room boutique hotel in the heart of downtown.

Entering the holiday season, he said both leisure and business travelers continue to fill rooms. The Heathman has always wooed business travelers and stepped it up in recent years with services such as wireless Internet, a choice of mattress styles, luxury pillows and other high-end amenities.

It raised its corporate rates by $60 a night, to $209 and the market has remained strong, Galvan said.

"It was great to see our rates come back to pre-recession levels," agreed Aaron Babbe, marketing director for The Aspen Group, the Portland-based hotel operator whose local portfolio includes Hotel Lucia, the newly remodeled Hotel deLuxe (formerly the Mallory) and the Westin.

The Lucia and Westin gave corporate rates of $205 and $199. The Aspen Group invested $11 million to renovate the Mallory. Its new name and new rates -- $179 for corporate travelers -- reflects it.

Babbe said the changes have been accepted by the old hotel's fans.

"It's been wonderful to see returning guests very willing to pay more," Babbe said.

Looking ahead, the picture changes somewhat in the downtown area in the next year. The Clyde Hotel on Southwest Stark is being renovated and is set to reopen as the 79-room Ace Hotel in January.

While rates were up, overall demand for hotel rooms stayed flat. The combination of stable demand and higher prices add up to a healthy bottom line, according to Wolfgang Rood, a Seattle-based hospitality consultant who tracks the hospitality industry in Washington, Oregon and Idaho.

Revenue per available room (or RevPAR) rose by 8.1 percent to $102.50 in the first nine months of 2006 for Portland's downtown hotels, according to Rood's figures.

RevPAR is a common industry measure that reflects both occupancy rates and room rates. For example, a hotel with an average room rate of $100 and an occupancy rate of 69 percent would have a RevPAR of $69.

Rood paints an even rosier picture for Portland's suburban hotels, which saw RevPAR climb by 18 percent, thanks to a combination of higher room rates and higher occupancy rates.

Dundon credits the rising occupancy rates in the suburbs to an improving business climate, particularly in the long-troubled Sunset Corridor.

As occupancy rates have improved in the corridor's business parks, so too has demand for its hotel rooms. Indeed, Hillsboro is home to the three most expensive hotels in the suburban westside market and command between $159 and $179 per night, according to the Dundon survey.

That's a significant change from recent years when an overabundance of rooms kept rates low. Improved economic activity has helped push the entire suburban market, Dundon said.

With some exceptions, Dundon doubts the strong performance by the hospitality industry in the last few years will result in many new hotels beyond the handful that have been announced. They include the 100-room Phoenix Grand Hotel in Tualatin, the 95-room Oxford Suites in Beaverton, a total of 423 rooms in downtown, split between The Nines at the Meier & Frank building and a boutique hotel in the U.S. Custom House.

Portland won't see much more new construction because revenues here still lag the region, Dundon said. At $102.50, RevPAR for downtown Portland is 30 percent behind Seattle. And Oregon resorts, with a RevPAR of $98.08, are 27 percent lower than their counterparts in Washington State.

wculverwell@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3415
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 5:58 PM
BANNED

I wonder if it is too late to put the hotel deal back together (and add the additional floors back in) in the ZGF building next to Jake's.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 6:58 PM

I am confused. Without the new bus mall downtown PDX was faultering...but here we have the business community saying how great it is down there...and the bus mall has just begun. So like may of us said the Bus mall has never been the problem.

My prediction...the new bus mall will have huge problems for public transit people. I will even go as far as tri-met needing to replace their unfriendly blow through bus shelters and halt car traffic on most blocks within 5-7 years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if it is too late to put the hotel deal back together (and add the additional floors back in) in the ZGF building next to Jake's.
From what I've heard, G-E will not do a redesign because its just too expensive, and currently they aren't even expecting to make much money from this building. Supposedly they might even take a loss to add in never seen in P-town before innovations, like the roof turbines. The hotel deal is dead though.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:10 PM
BANNED

too bad, another squatty cut off high-rise in Portland. I do think they did a great job with the design though.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:23 PM

eh, 22 stories on a half lot is pretty good for Portland. Much better than the full lot 10 to 15 story buildings previously built in the Pearl (and the Eliot, which doesn't look too bad). The design is sharp, so I don't think it will look squat.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:25 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

No, I think Downtown is failing. Judging by the fact that there haven't been as many new Gelato shops to open up the last several months and the fact that there are too many construction sites, I'm sure we will see wholesale abandonement of the district within days.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Judging by the fact that there haven't been as many new Gelato shops to open up the last several months
that's because Gelato shops are soooo 2006. Didn't you know, Ben and Jerry's are bringing back the ice cream craze (you scream, I scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!) by opening a new Pearl location in Spring 2007. Take that Mio Gelato!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

^^^ Ok, you're gonna force me to go to Rome. Round trip tickets to Europe only $400...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:26 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

The renderings of this 31 story tower just kick all ass.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Round trip tickets to Europe only $400...
seriously? I have over 4 weeks of vacation I've been needed to use...haven't decided where, or for how long, I'm going to go/use. $400 to Europe...that's a good deal!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Unwired Portland goes live Tuesday

Unwired Portland goes live Tuesday
Portland Business Journal - 2:56 PM PST Monday
by Aliza Earnshaw
Business Journal staff writer

Anyone with a wireless-enabled laptop or other WiFi-enabled device will be able to find free Internet service in a 2-square-mile area of downtown, bordered by West Burnside Boulevard, the Willamette River, I-405 and south towards Portland State University.

On the Eastside, coverage will extend from the Lloyd district to just south of Hawthorne Boulevard, and east about 25 blocks from the river.

The next phase of the wireless network will go "live" in about three months, though Logan Kleier, who manages the wireless network project for the city of Portland, could not yet say which areas of the city will be next to get coverage.

Portland's wireless project is one of the earliest large-scale projects to go live. The network will eventually cover 134 square miles.

MetroFi Inc., the California company that is building the network at a cost of about $10 million, expects to support it by selling advertising. A paid service, without ads, will be available for about $20 per month.

Portland plans to have some city services use the wireless network: the water bureau, for example, might have workers report meter readings via the network.

For now, just two Portland bureaus are getting connected to the wireless network: the office of neighborhood involvement and the office of sustainable development. Others should follow, Kleier said.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:13 AM

Yeah, lufthansa is the way to go...its cheaper to fly to germany than to atlanta.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:15 AM
BANNED

If you fly Lufthansa, be sure to sample the hard cider in Frankfurt, they are pretty proud of it and for good reason.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 1:17 AM
Pacific Wonderland

So that non-stop PDX-FRA has been sucessful? I haven't heard how that flight is working out economically.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland