Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

thanks for the news. very interesting.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 6:06 PM
Downtown Phoenix Resident

Sorry to bump a really old thread, however I have 2 questions:

1. What is going on with 44 Monroes balconies and railings?

2. What is going on with 44 Monroes pool / spa work?

I have heard the following:

The railings on the balconies where they are connected by bolts to the concrete are failing and the bolts and / or the concrete has major issues. This is causing everyone to be locked out of their balconies for their own safety.

Also the pool was demolished in August 2017 and has not been touched since.

Please see the following reviews on yelp / google

https://www.yelp.com/biz/44-monroe-p...ource=(direct)

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...51f01f61a,1,,,

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1n9 View Post
Sorry to bump a really old thread, however I have 2 questions:

1. What is going on with 44 Monroes balconies and railings?

2. What is going on with 44 Monroes pool / spa work?

I have heard the following:

The railings on the balconies where they are connected by bolts to the concrete are failing and the bolts and / or the concrete has major issues. This is causing everyone to be locked out of their balconies for their own safety.

Also the pool was demolished in August 2017 and has not been touched since.

Please see the following reviews on yelp / google

https://www.yelp.com/biz/44-monroe-p...ource=(direct)

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...51f01f61a,1,,,
I've lived at 44 Monroe for four, going on five years.

Balconys
There is a major issue with the railings. The bolts that connect the railings to the concrete floors are starting to come up in MOST units. 44 has since locked everyone off their balconies for going on 6 months now (locked the exterior doors, and removed the locking mechanism). If you're relatively handy, you can 'secretly' get your door open, just don't get caught!

Very little communication from the office staff. Anytime you bring it up, their response is VERY vague. The front office staff blames every problem on the HOA "this issue is being handled by the HOA" etc... ask enough questions, and they will reluctantly admit that the company that owns 44 Monroe has full control of the HOA. The Vice President of HSL is even the HOA President...

I have a friend that works for a law office nearby that tells me HSL (owner of 44) is suing the original developer over the issue - thus the delay. Haven't been able to personally confirm this however...

There was also an issue also where the glass completely came off the railing in one unit and fell to the street below. Not sure is this is related, or unrelated.

Renovations
Everything you've stated is correct. The pool area is completely gutted and no work has been done to complete since fall of last year. They also did a 'renovation' of the front entryway. It's horrible and was much better than before.

Long story short, we REALLY enjoyed living in 44 Monroe. Most of the building was leased by residents whom have lived here a long time like us. Very quiet etc.

That all started to change as soon as the building was bought out by HSL. To say the 'new' office staff is COMPLETELY incompetent and flat out disrespectful would be an understatement. And we've been dealing with everything from non-working elevators, fire alarms going off, security guards rolling doobies in the lobby, etc, etc, etc.

We will, most certainly, be moving out as soon as our lease is over. Most people who were here before HSL fucked it all up are doing the same. 4 months till we are OUT!

Last edited by fawd; Mar 12, 2018 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:44 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
I've lived at 44 Monroe for four, going on five years.

Balconys
There is a major issue with the railings. The bolts that connect the railings to the concrete floors are starting to come up in MOST units. 44 has since locked everyone off their balconies for going on 6 months now (locked the exterior doors, and removed the locking mechanism). If you're relatively handy, you can 'secretly' get your door open, just don't get caught!

Very little communication from the office staff. Anytime you bring it up, their response is VERY vague. The front office staff blames every problem on the HOA "this issue is being handled by the HOA" etc... ask enough questions, and they will reluctantly admit that the company that owns 44 Monroe has full control of the HOA. The Vice President of HSL is even the HOA President...

I have a friend that works for a law office nearby that tells me HSL (owner of 44) is suing the original developer over the issue - thus the delay. Haven't been able to personally confirm this however...

There was also an issue also where the glass completely came off the railing in one unit and fell to the street below. Not sure is this is related, or unrelated.

Renovations
Everything you've stated is correct. The pool area is completely gutted and no work has been done to complete since fall of last year. They also did a 'renovation' of the front entryway. It's horrible and was much better than before.

Long story short, we REALLY enjoyed living in 44 Monroe. Most of the building was leased by residents whom have lived here a long time like us. Very quiet etc.

That all started to change as soon as the building was bought out by HSL. To say the 'new' office staff is COMPLETELY incompetent and flat out disrespectful would be an understatement. And we've been dealing with everything from non-working elevators, fire alarms going off, security guards rolling doobies in the lobby, etc, etc, etc.

We will, most certainly, be moving out as soon as our lease is over. Most people who were here before HSL fucked it all up are doing the same. 4 months till we are OUT!
Residents would have probably dealt with this a few years ago just to keep the view since there were few other options Downtown. But with a slew of high-rise residential units in the making, HSL will be in a real pickle to get residents to move into Monroe once these new units are completed and half the residents move out.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:14 AM

Fawd, any abatement of rent?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 1:52 AM

10% reduction in rent

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
10% reduction in rent
Unbelievable.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 9:31 PM

Thank you for the updates I appreciate your information and I am sorry to hear about the building.

I have also heard that there is concrete issues, where the concrete is cracking / breaking because of the bolts rusting. I wanted to know if you have seen any structural damage to the building?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the updates I appreciate your information and I am sorry to hear about the building.

I have also heard that there is concrete issues, where the concrete is cracking / breaking because of the bolts rusting. I wanted to know if you have seen any structural damage to the building?
No, no. Nothing structural betond the balconies.

Just a screwed up front office, amenities, etc etc

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:20 AM
Skyriser

So ... concrete cracking in high rises is something that's not supposed to happen.

You're saying it's cracking by the footings like in this image?

Probably a manner of shoddy construction with regards to moisture intrusion and thermal expansion if so.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:40 PM

I spoke with a person on the street that said they lived there and said the concrete at the footings was cracking. However this could have been an exaggeration and I did not have a long conversation with them.

I also live downtown in a different building and was wondering the extent of the problems.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
I spoke with a person on the street that said they lived there and said the concrete at the footings was cracking. However this could have been an exaggeration and I did not have a long conversation with them.

I also live downtown in a different building and was wondering the extent of the problems.
Concrete of the footings of the balcony supports**

I'll post some pics of my balcony tomorrow so everyone can see

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 5:40 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread...

Just out of curiosity... I moved out of 44 Monroe over 2 years ago - and the below/above was a problem for around a year prior to us leaving.

Has 44 gotten around to fixing the balcony situation and/or finished the pool??

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Sorry to bump an old thread...

Just out of curiosity... I moved out of 44 Monroe over 2 years ago - and the below/above was a problem for around a year prior to us leaving.

Has 44 gotten around to fixing the balcony situation and/or finished the pool??
I look up occasionally and don't see any furniture or work being done on the balconies.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest