HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 6:15 AM

Tesla gigafactory

SO, I thought it might be time to give this project it's own thread - if a moderator thinks not feel free to delete.

There has been some posts in the Tucson Dev thread since they were/are actively pursuing this project - but there are so many general AZ rumors and potential sites that a thread may be warranted.

The latest information is still confusing - today at the shareholders meeting Elon Musk said TESLA may be proceeding with THREE possible sites in different states all the way to foundation work in an effort to make sure the project moves forward in a timely manner and then will narrow to one site by year's end.

This latest article in the PBJ -

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...a.html?ana=twt

seems to indicate that SURPRISE, AZ is very much in the game ....Pinal County and Buckeye have also been mentioned as the AZ possible sites.

Still other articles think Nevada is the frontrunner and on and on.

Anyway...here is the thread if anyone here wants to comment.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 9:43 PM

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:52 PM

Several news sources (first broken by CNBC) reporting that it is in fact the RENO site for the Gigafactory. Governor holding a news conference tomorrow to report the details.

Of course - they are still touting the fact that "there may be another" in another state....but we ll see about that.

Not sure AZ was ever really in this - unless there is another one being negotiated and we are the only ones able to keep our mouth shut about the details.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Several news sources (first broken by CNBC) reporting that it is in fact the RENO site for the Gigafactory. Governor holding a news conference tomorrow to report the details.

Of course - they are still touting the fact that "there may be another" in another state....but we ll see about that.

Not sure AZ was ever really in this - unless there is another one being negotiated and we are the only ones able to keep our mouth shut about the details.
No one besides Reno was ever really in it. They were the odds on favorite by a country mile. They had the best location in terms of quick rail access to Teslas other facilities, and that was the main deciding factor.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
No one besides Reno was ever really in it. They were the odds on favorite by a country mile. They had the best location in terms of quick rail access to Teslas other facilities, and that was the main deciding factor.
According to CNBC, these are the main reasons as to why Reno landed Tesla:

Incentive package from Nevada. (I think Tesla needed $500 million)
Right to work state. (Like AZ, cheaper labor etc.).
Relatively close to Fremont, CA
Reno is close to the home to the only Lithium mine in the US.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Relatively close to Fremont, CA
Direct rail access to the Fremont factory was a big plus for the Reno location.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:26 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Reno is close to the home to the only Lithium mine in the US.
That's a developmental project (years from production) and the mine location shouldn't matter at all unless Tesla plans to build a lithium process plant for the Kings Valley project. The road-haul distance for the ore is probably economically feasible. If you're talking about the Silver Lave evap facility, that barely produces any lithium carbonate anymore and distance still wouldn't be a huge factor.

It's probably the incentives provided by Nevada and the rail connections to Fremont, CA that won the day.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Last edited by wong21fr; Sep 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Regarding the rail link to Fremont, CNBC actually talked about the short 4 hour drive for trucking. Their report didn't mention rail at all.

Edit: Even though the report mentioned trucking (no rail), I'm sure Tesla will utilize rail to transport hazardous materials. Either from the Nevada mine to the factory and/or factory to Fremont plant.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 7:13 PM

Does anyone think there is ANY chance that there will be a second groundbreaking in the near future (as Musk has said). If so, is AZ still in the running for that one?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 3:06 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Edit: Even though the report mentioned trucking (no rail), I'm sure Tesla will utilize rail to transport hazardous materials. Either from the Nevada mine to the factory and/or factory to Fremont plant.
It looks as if there's no railheads any where near the lithium brine evaporation facility, or the proposed lithium mine. Rail access wouldn't make a difference for those projects, any kind of lithium product is going to be trucked to the factory site from those two projects. Of course, most of the lithium in the world still comes from Chile and rail access would make a ship to rail transfer of lithium hydroxide.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest