HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:46 AM

Surfing on Central at CityScape

Surf’s up in the heart of the desert this summer as CityScape Phoenix hosts Surfing on Central, a 13-week, family-friendly event offering a wave simulator, beach blanket movie nights, professional flowboarder performances, DJs and a special summer staycation hotel package.

Open daily starting June 1 and running through Labor Day Sept. 1, CityScape’s Patriots Square park will transform into a surfer’s paradise with the FlowRider® Mobile from FlowRider, Inc., a wave simulator that creates never-ending waves with over 38,000 gallons of perfect surf, ideal for beginners and experts. With 400-square-feet of ripping ride space, surfers will hang ten in a whole new way while learning to surf, do tricks and have fun.

Flowboarding is a hybrid boardsport that has the look of surfing, the ride of snowboarding, the tricks of skateboarding and the boards derived from wakeboarding.

In addition to the FlowRider, Surfing on Central will be home to lounge chairs, a tiki bar and more. Throughout the summer, there will be “Beach Blanket Movie Nights” where guests can enjoy surf movies under the stars and on Saturday nights catch “Airwaves” from 7pm until 10pm featuring a local DJ spinning the hottest summer hits and pro-flowboarders showing off their skills. Ladies Night is every Thursday from 6pm until 10pm where ladies buy one ticket, get one free.

To kick things off, CityScape will host a flow jam on Saturday, May 31 from 7 until 10 p.m. with professional flowboarders Sean Silveira, Adam Muller and Daniel Tarapchak showing off their shredding skills and signing autographs along with Red Bull DJs, games, prizes and plenty of beach-themed fun.

For those looking for the ultimate summer staycation, Kimpton’s Hotel Palomar Phoenix is offering a “Toes on the Nose Surfs Up!” package from $119/night that includes deluxe accommodations, two tickets to FlowRider and a 20 percent discount at LUSTRE Rooftop Garden for guests with a FlowRider ticket. Reservations can be booked at www.hotelpalomar-phoenix.com or 602-253-6633 (rate code: FLOW).

Located at CityScape Phoenix, Surfing on Central will be open seven days a week from 10am until 10pm from June 1 through September 1. The event is free and open to the public, with the exception of FlowRider that is available for $25 per person for 30 minutes with a maximum of eight guests per half hour. Riders can also test their skills on “The Mechanical Wave”, which is $5 for five attempts. Hours and pricing may vary throughout the summer. The most up-to-date information will be available online. Surfers must be at least 42” tall. Party packages and memberships will be available where discounts will be given for multiple sessions purchased, like the Blue Membership where riders receive two free sessions with the purchase of five sessions for $125.

Reservations are required to purchase tickets for the FlowRider. For more information about Surfing on Central and to find out how to book a reservation, visit www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider. Easy, convenient and ample underground parking is available and validated by many retailers.

THIS SATURDAY (May 31): To kick things off, CityScape is hosting a flow jam from 7pm until 10pm this Saturday with professional flowboarders Sean Silveira, Adam Muller and Daniel Tarapchak showing off their shredding skills and signing autographs along with Red Bull DJs, games, prizes and plenty of beach-themed fun.

SURFING ON CENTRAL OPENS TO THE PUBLIC THIS SUNDAY & IS OPEN THROUGH LABOR DAY:
A wave simulator ($25/session)
Beach Blanket Movie Nights (free)
Professional flowboarder performances weekly (free)
“Airwaves” with local DJs every Saturday (free)
Ladies Night every Thursday (buy 1, get 1 free)
Special summer staycation package at Hotel Palomar Phoenix (from $119/night, including 2 tickets to FlowRider)

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider/

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 8:24 PM

Looks like Central Ave is shutting down once more for "Surf on Central" (similar to Ice Rink feature over the holidays). I, for one, am for it. Just another reason to go downtown.

http://www.cityscapephoenix.com/flowrider/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:53 PM
High Voltage

question

Hi everyone. I have a quick question that I didn't find the answer for after looking through some of the Phoenix and cityscape pages. So here here goes: Has Copper Blues closed its doors at cityscape? I see that they are opening a tempe location, and I checked their website and found no immediate useful information there. I hope not, that would be sucky. Thanks for your help in advance.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:00 PM

It was open the other day. It seems to be very busy.

Lawless is gone. I heard they moved to a warehouse location. Anyone know for sure? Anyone know what might go in its place?

How is Ghost Bar doing next to Lucky Strike?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:19 AM
Skyriser

From Lawless's instagram:

Quote:
Hey everyone, we're excited to finally be able to announce that we have outgrown our Cityscape location and have made the move only two blocks away into the historic warehouse district! We appreciate your patience during this time as we transition into opening at our new location start next Thursday, September 18th! #ChangeIsAGoodThing #MovinOnUpFollow

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:43 AM

The reviews of Lawless are pretty bad; surprised at this news. Wonder which warehouse? Assuming Jackson/1st St?

Vintage Industrial was looking for new space... Jackson would be pretty awesome with Warehouse operations on upper levels/in the back and showrooms in the front for Phoenix-based businesses like Lawless and Vintage, mixed with local breweries and wineries, etc.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Sep 26, 2014 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:19 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az

So it looks like the corner facing Jefferson is getting a new entrance punched into it, which is good news. Some place called Grabbagreen is going in there. So that's good.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 11:29 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post

So it looks like the corner facing Jefferson is getting a new entrance punched into it, which is good news. Some place called Grabbagreen is going in there. So that's good.
Interesting. I wonder if part of the Chloe's Corners space is being reallocated for this restaurant. The Corner does well but has way more seating than is needed. Grabbagreen is a gluten-free eatery, and I like my food with extra gluten, so I'm not sure how much of a fan I'll be. Still, it's good to see more businesses and more street presence.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:13 AM

That's great. One small step toward eradicating CS's failure of addressing Jefferson in its design.

I wonder if it will be a full entrance or more of a to-go type of bar/window?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 4:40 PM

Are we sure they didn't take out the window just as a temp access for materials? I see the bottom bricks are still there. :/
And it looks like there is a door to the right of the opening (with the hiring sign on it)? Is that new?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Are we sure they didn't take out the window just as a temp access for materials? I see the bottom bricks are still there. :/
And it looks like there is a door to the right of the opening (with the hiring sign on it)? Is that new?
The door is new I believe. To the right of the door is a wheelchair ramp that heads north. I believe there will be steps put in going south (left) from the door, that's what it looks like.

They may also be doing a patio right on the corner. I didn't realize those were sliding doors before, so...we'll see.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 6:18 PM

The door is new. Too funny few of us even noticed it in the picture. I saw the removed window and wondered if it would be a door. POWERS OF OBSERVATION!!!! WOW.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 6:13 AM

Chris (gymratmanaz) sent me these photos over the weekend of the new place.

It looks nice inside but I think they did a pretty poor job with the entrance, it looks like a side entry door to me, not a main entrance. The glass floor to ceiling window do look like they open, but just for fresh air. I don't see why they couldn't have had stairs leading up to that and have the entrance there, but maybe there wasn't the space on the sidewalk to have a proper slope.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:05 PM

I think you're right about their not being enough room for a proper slope to use the sliding doors as an entrance.

However, couldn't they have done a patio to the left of the stairs? It would've been nice, that way the sliding doors would have a reason to be open more often.

Ah well.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:25 PM
self-important urbanista

When I stopped by yesterday during lunch, workers were building a railing outside the newly added door, and customers were told to enter Grabbagreen via Chloe's Corner (There's a door between the two dining rooms) until the railing is done.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 5:42 PM

Looks like a nice addition! The ramp is awesome for wheelchair access and for all from the center of Cityscape. The steps are nice from the corner. The inside is very nice! Looking forward to trying the food!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 11:51 PM

Fractured Prune Doughnuts expanding to CityScape?

Looks like Fractured Prune Doughnuts is expanding to CityScape in the near future. They are okay but can get a little too cake-y. I wonder where they would setup at? Lawless old space?

"And on Jan. 22, the same franchisees, Mark and Karen Prygocki, plan to open another store at CityScape, which is inside the 12-block epicenter of major Super Bowl-related activities that are expected to draw a million visitors to downtown Phoenix."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...enix/21399515/

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:10 PM

They have started putting the skating rink in. Sure would like to see the CitiScape holiday decorations and activities continue to grow bigger each year!!!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2015, 4:32 PM

I heard a rumor that Urban Outfitters may be closing their store at CityScape and opening a new location at Uptown Plaza (Central & Camelback), presumably some time next year. Just hearsay so far.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:11 AM

Is there a new business under construction in the old Charming Charlies location?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest