HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 11:05 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
The Colleges @ ASU in Lake Havasu City? Could they have come up with a worse name? Is there something wrong with Lake Havasu State?
Well b/c its not really its own thing. I'm not sure you could even attend all 4 years at the Colleges @ Lake Havasu and get a degree---maybe they only offer certain classes? I think the idea is that eventually it could grow into its own thing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Well b/c its not really its own thing. I'm not sure you could even attend all 4 years at the Colleges @ Lake Havasu and get a degree---maybe they only offer certain classes? I think the idea is that eventually it could grow into its own thing.
I don't think "the Colleges @ Lake Havasu" have begun accepting students. They university has begun development as the money needed to start the satellite campus has been raised. However, students will be able to earn some 4 year degrees at lower tuition rates.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:32 PM

^I see, I wasn't for sure if they could get 4 year degrees at those schools or not. Either way I think they'll eventually branch off into their own, low cost, 4 year teaching institutions focusing on Undergraduates. I have a feeling the "@ ASU" program is just the germ for a future system like the Cal State system.

Its amazing how many people on AzCentral are so opposed to splitting off Poly and West. Its so clearly the best thing for the State, the respective Cities, but change really frightens the dumb I guess.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2011, 1:38 PM

Arizona State University set for Lake Havasu campus Read more: http://www.azcentral.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...su-campus.html

Quote:
Arizona State University has been given the green light to establish the first in a series of low-cost satellite campuses in Lake Havasu City, part of an innovative effort to provide less-expensive college options across the state.

The state's largest public university on Thursday got permission from the Arizona Board of Regents to move forward with plans to establish an undergraduate campus in the Mohave County community.

Scheduled to open in fall 2012, it will be the first of the new brand of Colleges@ASU, a network of lower-cost schools offering a handful of undergraduate majors.

Colleges@ASU is part of a redesign of the state university system aimed at giving students lower-priced alternatives to higher education. Over the past decade, tuition has skyrocketed at the three state research universities, underscoring the need for less-expensive options.

Unlike many other states, Arizona has no state college system where students can earn four-year degrees at a lower cost than that charged by the premier research universities. Students either attend community colleges and then transfer or enroll directly in one of the three research universities: ASU, the University of Arizona or Northern Arizona University.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^I see, I wasn't for sure if they could get 4 year degrees at those schools or not. Either way I think they'll eventually branch off into their own, low cost, 4 year teaching institutions focusing on Undergraduates. I have a feeling the "@ ASU" program is just the germ for a future system like the Cal State system.

Its amazing how many people on AzCentral are so opposed to splitting off Poly and West. Its so clearly the best thing for the State, the respective Cities, but change really frightens the dumb I guess.
What would be really nice is if we could turn Poly into something like Georgia Tech, a good solid mid to high-range technical school that could produce higher-than-average quality workers for the tech industry. Companies like Google and Intel would love that but it would require the right allocation of funding.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2011, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigirdbers View Post
What would be really nice is if we could turn Poly into something like Georgia Tech, a good solid mid to high-range technical school that could produce higher-than-average quality workers for the tech industry. Companies like Google and Intel would love that but it would require the right allocation of funding.
I'd love that, it would take a long while to get to GT's level though, they're much better than Mid to High range, they're pure high range. US News & World Report rated them #36 overall in the country, thats about 100 slots higher than either ASU or UA.

In the short run an independent Poly would certainly be a second tier school, but I don't think that would always be the case. If the East Valley cities bounded together and really pushed it, it could do wonders. And if they were free from the shackles of ASU, and could compete for their own grants I think they'd do better long term. Competition will breed success for Valley higher educational institutions, having a bunch of satellites that are step sisters of ASU clearly isn't working too hot.

I think hoping Poly could ever be at the level of Georgia Tech, MIT, Cal Tech or Virginia Tech is probably unreasonable. But if an Arizona Poly could be eventually comparable to say Texas Tech, LaTech or The Florida Institute of Technology, that would be great. Even getting to that level though would take a long, long time. NAU after all is a Tier 2 research school and I don't expect some new school would get funding priority over them.

It would be nice if the State had a system that pushed to get ASU & UA into the Top 100 Nationally, NAU & Poly into the 150-200 range and then offered some schools focusing more on under graduates as teaching/non research schools, like an independent ASU West (Central AZ U/PHX St) and a 'graduated' Phoenix College.

Last edited by HooverDam; Sep 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 5:00 AM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 12:07 AM

ASU Payson??

Look at me reviving a dead thread!

anyway ASU Payson?! hopefully I would love to see the state develop a version of the CAL system.

http://azbex.com/alliance-adopts-pla...iversity-site/

ASU has not confirmed nor denied that they will build a campus there

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 1:15 AM
Skyriser

ASU and UofA should be separate systems and not two campuses, sort of like how California works. There's the UC system, then the State system. ASU shouldn't be "one university in many places" but actually serve the needs of the state. It's absurd that when one considers the STEM careers of the future that there's for the most part two places to get that education in the entire state.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 7:17 PM

Reviving an old thread;

What is with ABOR, What is the motivation to keep the state completely confined to 3 Mega universities?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...egrees-at.html

Quote:
An effort to have community colleges grant four-year degrees has ended after failing to make it out of an Arizona Legislature committee.

The proposal, which would have opened the door to more degree avenues at a potentially cheaper cost to students, failed to make it through the Senate Education Committee, according to Capitol Medial Services and the Arizona Capitol Times.

The plan was pushed by rural legislators seeking an easier way to get more people outside the state's metro areas a degree. The Arizona Board of Regents, however, was critical of the plan with its President Larry Penley saying there wasn't the need for it, according to the report.

Arizona's three state universities have agreements with community colleges to accept transfer credits and often have partnered with them on a continuous curriculum.

The challenge during the past decade, however, is that prices have risen dramatically at Arizona State University, the University of Arizona in Tucson and Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff following the Great Recession.

Yearly tuition at a community colleges runs about $2,500. That same year of tuition at one of the three major state universities is between $10,000 and $12,000.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest