HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
You seem to be trying really hard to paint a pretty poor picture of yourself.
Its just some cheeky banter guys

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its just some cheeky banter guys
You're cheeky!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:23 PM

Rio Salado 2.0

John McCain looking to extend Tempe Town Lake-type project from Mesa to the West Valley.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-with-rio.html

Quote:
...McCain and ASU have been talking to Valley mayors and the multiple public and private sector landowners who have holdings along the Rio Salado.

Reiter said that aspect of the plan is complicated not only by multiple owners but also by some of those entities owning land up to the river’s edge and others into the middle of the usually dry and sometimes tree-filled Salt River.

Reiter said the project might even entail not having a full river flowing across the region but might entail water in some areas and wetlands in others...
Seems doubtful that anything could get done within McCain's (or frankly my) lifetime, but it would be great to see the Salt River revitalized.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
John McCain looking to extend Tempe Town Lake-type project from Mesa to the West Valley.

Seems doubtful that anything could get done within McCain's (or frankly my) lifetime, but it would be great to see the Salt River revitalized.
Its a shame downtown wasn't built on the river, from the article it looks like they are going to make it more a wetland than a waterfront like Tempe which makes sense to me. It would be decades and decades before that area of south phoenix is anything more than industrial space and warehousing.

I've often dreamed of a perfect phoenix where the river is at the train tracks downtown and Tempe is directly across the river with MIll/Central being the same street, with Scottsdale and Arcadia about 3 miles closer to downtown and the airport out where Scottsdale is now.

To bad we can just move the river, and Camelback... and redo millions of years of geology

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of the riverbed being an extension of Indian Bend Wash aka Green Belt from beyond the Tempe Town Lake dam to at least Central Ave. I re-imagined the trickle of water that always escapes the dam and feeds the riparian area under Priest Dr as a meandering stream shaded by copious copses of cottonwoods. There would be walking and biking paths and small bridges criss-crossing. The dam itself would have water flowing over it constantly into splash pads below. There would be hourly water shows with fountains of water synchronized to music. At night, it would light up and, on certain nights, display art projections. In times of overflow, this would shut down so the excess water could be routed into runoff alongside the park which would take it further downstream.

At the widest part of the riverbed, there would be a baseball field and a gazebo with a grassy open. The berm which abuts the entire riverbed would be lined with trees (I was thinking cypress) to act as a soft barrier from landing planes and nearby freeway. Of course the closer to Central, there would be apartments and condo overlooking the park (think Hafen-Harbor in Hamburg).

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:05 PM

ASU's architecture school did a concept decades ago for this. It would have created a lock system that would've gone all the way to California via the Rio Salado and been used for freight transportation much like the system in place in Stockton, CA....Tempe some how saw it, liked it and eventually the idea of Tempe Town Lake came from that many many years later.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 12:45 AM

Bill gates has some REITS buying up land out by Tonopah, because if Buckeye isn't far enough away you can buy a 9 bedroom $40,000 house at 339th ave and the I-10

Commutes to downtown would only be 90 minutes without traffic

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...f-arizona.html
Quote:
BREW reports an arm of Gates’s Cascade Investment LLC has bought a majority interest in just under 20,000 acres of land in an area west of Phoenix called Belmont.

That is located off of Interstate 10 at 339th Avenue.

The land could also be along the planned Interstate 11 highway.

That proposed freeway would link Phoenix to Las Vegas.

There are potentially thousands of homes that could come to the potential I-11 corridor.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:01 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Bill gates has some REITS buying up land out by Tonopah, because if Buckeye isn't far enough away you can buy a 9 bedroom $40,000 house at 339th ave and the I-10

Commutes to downtown would only be 90 minutes without traffic

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...f-arizona.html
Prematurely planning for the I-11. That thing is a long way off and a lot could change with the design/route.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:28 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
ASU's architecture school did a concept decades ago for this. It would have created a lock system that would've gone all the way to California via the Rio Salado and been used for freight transportation much like the system in place in Stockton, CA....Tempe some how saw it, liked it and eventually the idea of Tempe Town Lake came from that many many years later.
I remember this. I think county voters shot it down.

I wonder what a Saltrivermax ship would look like...

I love the idea of this on paper but it doesn't scale in the era of containerization and I doubt there'd be enough passenger/leisure traffic for it to be worthwhile.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:16 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ort/860453001/

A piece of old Phoenix is coming back to life in 2018! Nice!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 1:13 PM

Downtown photo from yesterday

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:53 PM

Nice work Biggus. It's going to look so different in two years!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:27 PM

Nice pic. Unfortunately from that view the new Cityscape buildings won't add to the skyline.

Was that picture from Portland on the Park?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Nice pic. Unfortunately from that view the new Cityscape buildings won't add to the skyline.
Yes but we have a 15 story otel and 30 story building going at AZ center, the apartment tower that will go in in front of Freeport Mcmoran whatever the RFP at Central and Adams gives us, you might be able to see barrister peek just above the top of alliance bank, Stuart and possibly Colliers residential portion.

And just out of frame to the left you have the link Towers and derby.

And maybe Central station tower sometime way down the road

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Yes but we have a 15 story otel and 30 story building going at AZ center, the apartment tower that will go in in front of Freeport Mcmoran whatever the RFP at Central and Adams gives us, you might be able to see barrister peek just above the top of alliance bank, Stuart and possibly Colliers residential portion.

Yeah the Stewart will make a big difference by filling in the gap between the BOA Tower and the Sheraton. Same for the AZ Center buildings, they'll make the east side of downtown much more dense.

Hopefully the apartment tower by the FCX tower starts soon.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:45 PM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/thes...dquarters.html

According to CNBC we are about middle of the pack for Amazon HQ wich is higher than I would expect an I think CNBC is counting our talent too low personally. I think our biggest disadvantage is being in the west, I would be surprised if we don't see this go in the SE either North Carolina, Atlanta or DC. I could maybe see Philly too but I still think Southeast is where its going to go.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:47 PM

What's going on at the NEC of 2nd Ave and Fillmore across from those rowhouses? I see the lot has been cleared.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Is that The Link? Or is The Link yet another 30 story building? I thought the link was in the area between Roosevelt Row and ASU.

E: missed this: "And just out of frame to the left you have the link"

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Is that The Link? Or is The Link yet another 30 story building? I thought the link was in the area between Roosevelt Row and ASU.

E: missed this: "And just out of frame to the left you have the link"
The Link is a 30 story building at Polk and 3rd two blocks north of AZ center between Skyline apartments and Proxy. It has planned future phases of 25 and 20 stories down the pipe

AZ center has its own 31 story condo/apartment planned for in-between APS and the other tower at the AZ center and a 15 story AC Marriott going in right north of the APS building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
What's going on at the NEC of 2nd Ave and Fillmore across from those rowhouses? I see the lot has been cleared.
NAC Housing project...similar to the one just north on McKinley.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest