HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Don't think you'd find me living on the 12th floor of a wood building, but it's still neat.
I work for a very large commercial insurance company and we have all sorts of aversion to covering the standard 3-6 story wood apartment blocks due to the fire risk.

I know its not 1900 and the building materials and safety regs are far greater than in the past but they seem like flaming deathtraps in a lot of ways

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I work for a very large commercial insurance company and we have all sorts of aversion to covering the standard 3-6 story wood apartment blocks due to the fire risk.

I know its not 1900 and the building materials and safety regs are far greater than in the past but they seem like flaming deathtraps in a lot of ways
Yeah, I know it was arson, but I wouldn't be able to help imagining the LA Da Vinci fire.

http://abc7.com/news/la-city-attorne...-fire/1206107/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:36 PM

Video from Facebook from last week:

https://www.facebook.com/liveatthest...2254212948899/

And still shot from the webcam:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:17 PM
BANNED

19 floors in this location will have a nice impact on the north edge of downtown. The tower crane looks huge in this webcam shot!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:42 AM

Is it me or does the speed that this building is going up is rather slooow. According to their facebook page the first floor slab was completed in September, we're now at the end of November and they're only up to the 4th floor. That's roughly 1.25 floors per month. At 19 floors it would take them nearly a year and a half to complete just the cement pour. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but 44 Monroe and the Sheraton went up at about a rate of 1 floor per week after the initial parking bases were built. Am I remembering this wrong?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:34 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
Is it me or does the speed that this building is going up is rather slooow. According to their facebook page the first floor slab was completed in September, we're now at the end of November and they're only up to the 4th floor. That's roughly 1.25 floors per month. At 19 floors it would take them nearly a year and a half to complete just the cement pour. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but 44 Monroe and the Sheraton went up at about a rate of 1 floor per week after the initial parking bases were built. Am I remembering this wrong?
Stewart has a pretty large footprint. They also had a lot of prep work that was still going on when pouring the first 2 floors. The last floor went pretty quick. I think we'll see the floors going up quicker as the project progresses.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUC View Post
They said on the facebook it should take about 8 days per floor but it has been going slower.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:19 PM

Could it also have anything to do with the lower levels being parking garage? Does it take longer when the floors are at an angle?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:54 PM

For those worried about the slow pace, they seem to have picked up nicely now, starting on parking floors 5 and 6 as of this morning. I would bet that this thing will move at a steady pace now.

I would guess to see this guy topped out by early-mid April

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 11:31 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
For those worried about the slow pace, they seem to have picked up nicely now, starting on parking floors 5 and 6 as of this morning. I would bet that this thing will move at a steady pace now.

I would guess to see this guy topped out by early-mid April
Correct. I've been watching the progress all week and it's roughly at 1 level per week now. I kind of figured it would pick up after wrapping up some of the pre-construction activities on the first level.

One thing I will say is now that it's getting much higher than the original Stewart Building, I am not so sure I like leaving that little section of the original building. It is starting to look way out of place. At this point, I'm wondering if it would have been better just to finish it off?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Correct. I've been watching the progress all week and it's roughly at 1 level per week now. I kind of figured it would pick up after wrapping up some of the pre-construction activities on the first level.

One thing I will say is now that it's getting much higher than the original Stewart Building, I am not so sure I like leaving that little section of the original building. It is starting to look way out of place. At this point, I'm wondering if it would have been better just to finish it off?
I would say we'll have to wait for the finished product to see what it will really look like. Additionally, the view from the perspective of the webcam is going to be a lot different than what you get at street level or other angles. Again, to early to tell either way IMHO.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 7:39 PM
Modulator

So, they are actually pouring 3 floors of concrete at a time now. The structure just jumped from 4 to 7 floors in a week. I believe this will be the last levels of the parking podium and they should start building the residential section by next week. Hopefully, this will start going up much more quickly now.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 10:50 PM
Modulator

Ah..my bad. I must've been looking at a mirage or something. Looks like they are only on the 5th and 6th floors. Stupid camera angle!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 2:22 PM

I thought I was counting wrong...thanks for the correction. Whew....eyes are good now!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 3:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
I thought I was counting wrong...thanks for the correction. Whew....eyes are good now!
Nope...just that funny alignment that makes it look like the 4th floor continues towards the right and I was counting up from that. Haha

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 3:50 PM

Yeah, that is at an odd angle. Took me a while to discern it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:01 AM

Rock piles

Last edited by ljbuild; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:12 AM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:05 AM

What mountains ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
These towers downtown need to be stopped. They block the view of the mountains from downtown. Why would we hide what we're famous for to visitors?

2 stories should be tall enough for Phoenix.

WHAT MOUNTAINS ???

These so called mountains here are basically ROCK PILES. Especially in north and northwest Phoenix.

Second, they are too low to be MAJOR MOUNTAINS. They may be interesting WHEN YOU ARE ON THEM, but

I don't care to see these (PHX. Mountains) from a long distance.

So they can build UP all they want.

Compare these mountains to the ones in Colorado n or even in New Mexico(BIG DIFFERENCE )

Those are REAL MOUNTAINS

Besides I never see these Phoenix mountains(Rock piles) SNOW CAPPED.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:45 PM

ljbuild........ that was sarcasm from combusean

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbuild View Post
WHAT MOUNTAINS ???

These so called mountains here are basically ROCK PILES. Especially in north and northwest Phoenix.

Second, they are too low to be MAJOR MOUNTAINS. They may be interesting WHEN YOU ARE ON THEM, but

I don't care to see these (PHX. Mountains) from a long distance.

So they can build UP all they want.

Compare these mountains to the ones in Colorado n or even in New Mexico(BIG DIFFERENCE )

Those are REAL MOUNTAINS

Besides I never see these Phoenix mountains(Rock piles) SNOW CAPPED.
Denver and abq are about as close to tall mountains as we are but neither have 1000+ foot mountains right in the middle of the city like we do, salt lake is built right up to it’s mountains but you gotta drive way out of abq and Denver to get any real elevation

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest