HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 6:52 PM

Phoenix's First Protected Bike Lanes

Nice development. Bollards haven't been too successful in the Phoenix-area (see McClintock in Tempe) but hopefully these fare better.

https://downtownphoenixjournal.com/2...ed-bike-lanes/

Quote:
In an ongoing effort to make City of Phoenix streets safer and more bicycle-friendly, the Street Transportation Department recently installed the city’s first protected bike lanes on 15th Avenue between Van Buren and Jefferson streets.

“This is just the first step in our effort to build safe, protected bike lanes in the City of Phoenix,” said Mayor Greg Stanton. “We’re sending the message that everyone deserves to feel safe on our streets – and these new protections have already improved the transit experience for drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.”

The new protected bike lanes along this stretch of 15th Avenue feature a painted buffer zone with flexible bollards that give bicyclists more protection while clearly signaling to drivers the potential presence of bike traffic. The bollards will also help discourage vehicles from illegally parking in bike lanes. The City also added green paint spot treatments to the new bike lanes to help increase visibility and identify areas where bicycle and car traffic might mix...

...With the addition of the new bike lanes on 15th Avenue between Van Buren and the I-17, 15th Avenue now features a nearly 10-mile continuous bike lane system between Dunlap Avenue and the 1-17.

The City will continue to assess new and existing bike lanes and additional mechanisms for creating separation between cars and bikes to promote safe traffic flow for all modes of transportation.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

Is sky harbor getting new landscaping? Passed through today and noticed the grass was all gone.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 9:34 PM

They likely are just over-seeding it.

To install a winter lawn you have to scalp the Bermuda grass, it grows back when the weather heats up in spring.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:37 AM

News from PHX T3 concourse

Hi All,

I have heard the T3S is schedule to open in late-2018 or early 2019. Only for south concourse.

As for T3N, right now they are on design phase. It will open in the year 2020.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Nice development. Bollards haven't been too successful in the Phoenix-area (see McClintock in Tempe) but hopefully these fare better.

https://downtownphoenixjournal.com/2...ed-bike-lanes/

Photo credit: Downtown Phoenix Journal

The look of progress.

With respect to "McClintock in Tempe" are you referring to this?

Unsurprisingly, Anonymous Bob has his own distasteful view of Bollards expressed less than a month ago.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Cool, but why not just ride on the side walk?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Cool, but why not just ride on the side walk?
Partly because it's not legal but mostly because riding on the street is far safer. Motorists are not looking down the sidewalk when the poke out of a driveway or side street, their eyes are looking at the road to see if any cars are in their way. They're likely to see you riding a bike if you're on the road, but if you're coming down the sidewalk at 15-20mph you're not going to be in their line of sight until it's too late. Getting right-hooked is the biggest danger of riding on the sidewalk yet it still happens from time to time on the road, as well. Imagine traveling down the sidewalk and a car traveling in the same direction passes you and then makes a right turn directly in front of you - rarely does anyone do this intentionally - this mistake is likely to happen because when a driver is not sharing the roadway with you they are far more likely to miscalculate your speed or not notice you. This often results in t-boning the car and injury only to the cyclist.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:49 PM
self-important urbanista

Welcome development: "[Valley Metro] hopes to fix the light rail's public image by implementing a new code of conduct that prohibits unruly behavior and gives light-rail security guards more flexibility to remove passengers."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ail/750819001/

My only concern is that there's no mention of non-service dogs on the train. I've never fe!t at risk on the train due to my fellow humans, but occasionally due to their unconfined canine companions.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Welcome development: "[Valley Metro] hopes to fix the light rail's public image by implementing a new code of conduct that prohibits unruly behavior and gives light-rail security guards more flexibility to remove passengers."

My only concern is that there's no mention of non-service dogs on the train. I've never fe!t at risk on the train due to my fellow humans, but occasionally due to their unconfined canine companions.
For all of the horror stories I have heard, my personal experience on light rail hasn't been that bad, to a degree that's what you are going to get on public transit, especially on public transit that doesn't have a turnstile gate to keep free-loaders off.

Either way this is still a good move, you are on valley metro property, its intended as a conveyance not as a hang out, a place to sleep/urinate etc. They should be removing people not using it for its intended purpose, bothering others or not paying.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:

How timely... this is one of the issues I've specifically been looking at and posted a related comment two days ago which is easy to share.

I've also read about the issues in Phoenix so Valley Metro's response is encouraging as I find the current situation discouraging. Per the linked article:
Quote:
Valley Metro CEO Scott Smith says he hears one common refrain from people fed up with public transportation: "I won't ride the light rail anymore."

It worries him. "The perception of light rail as a safe transportation has suffered. And we hear it a lot," Smith said.
This is not an issue that's unique to Phoenix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I want to be safe and secure
(and comfy, cozy)

I recently had the 'pleasure' of reading the King County Metro RapidRide Performance Evaluation Report from 2014. Lots of fun and interesting stuff in that pdf. One area where their survey results suffered related to Goal F or "Do you feel your route is safe and secure on and off the bus?" Of the six Rapid Ride routes, three were deemed adequate and three were found to be lacking.

MTS beefs up security on trolley and bus lines
Sep 30, 2017 By Abbie Alford - CBS 8 San Diego
Quote:
SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) - The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System is stepping up security on its trolley and bus lines by adding more uniformed code compliance and security officers checking tickets.
This is more than just about catching fare evaders
Quote:
"I fee like it's safer now because we have more officers covering the ground in case someone needs help and making sure everyone is safe on the line," said MTS Code Compliance Inspector, Sergio Iniguez.
Chances are that some of the scofflaws are also the rabble rousers on the bus/train so average riders feel more secure when compliance officers are present.

I've now read several cities where security is a growing concern with riders. Given that 'planning' is a male dominated field it's a good idea to give extra care and (reasonable) expense to benefit all our female friends who tend to be more sensitive to their personal security.
And the 1st response I got was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
A lot of the girls I work with really don’t feel safe taking the train home from downtown late at night. Can’t say that I blame them... with all the homeless people and “scrubs” on the train at night. Shame that downtown seems to be infested with such people. I don’t even walk on 16th anymore, I’d rather walk 15th and hopefully be accosted by less homeless people and heroin junkies
As I said, Phoenix is not unique. One of my overriding themes is that in order for transit to compete they're going to have to offer a more competitive product. Beyond the platitude it gets complicated but transit can and it needs to evolve & improve. A good place to start is that riders are customers and treat them accordingly.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

As I said, Phoenix is not unique. One of my overriding themes is that in order for transit to compete they're going to have to offer a more competitive product. Beyond the platitude it gets complicated but transit can and it needs to evolve & improve. A good place to start is that riders are customers and treat them accordingly.
Yes, it's hardly unique to Phoenix. As a teenager growing up in the suburbs of NYC, I remember a sort of thrill with riding the big, bad subway before it was cleaned up in the '90s. As an adult, I would not have tolerated it as much. In terms of public perception, some critics have moved on from fatuous, counterfactual statements that "no one rides light rail" and are now scapegoating light rail for crime and homelessness. Neither is good, but it's still a sign of success that light rail is accepted as part of the infrastructure here and now the effort is to make it work as well as possible for passengers using it for its intended purpose.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 4:19 PM
self-important urbanista

Here's an interesting email I received from the city. Apparently, there's a new partnership with Lyft for rides to and from selected transit destinations. I assume that means light rail stations and express bus park-and-rides, but it will be interesting to learn the details. I might find this useful in the worst of the summer heat when it's too hot to bike to/from the train or wait for a bus transfer.

MEDIA ADVISORY

Phoenix Public Transit and Lyft Launch New Pilot Program

The Phoenix Public Transit Department and Lyft announce their partnership to pilot a new program to provide a safe, reliable and sustainable transportation network. The "First Mile Last Mile" program will provide discounts to Lyft users who are connecting to Phoenix bus lines from homes and businesses. The main goal is to have transit within reach of all Phoenix community members.

New passengers will be able to use the code PHXRIDES to get $5 dollars off their first 4 rides. Existing users can use the code TRANSITPHX to get 20% off their rides to and from select transit stops.

What: Partnership kicks off with a brief presser, free day bus passes and a free $5 Lyft ride to the first 25 attendees!

When: Wednesday, Oct. 18, 9:15 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Where: 27th Avenue / Baseline Park-and-Ride, 27th Avenue on southbound Baseline Road

Scheduled to speak:

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton

Phoenix Public Transit Director Maria Hyatt

Lyft's Regional General Manager Drena Kusari

Media interested in attending are asked to RSVP to Matthew Heil by email matthew.heil@phoenix.gov or by phone 602.534.0108.

Last edited by exit2lef; Oct 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Partly because it's not legal but mostly because riding on the street is far safer. Motorists are not looking down the sidewalk when the poke out of a driveway or side street, their eyes are looking at the road to see if any cars are in their way. They're likely to see you riding a bike if you're on the road, but if you're coming down the sidewalk at 15-20mph you're not going to be in their line of sight until it's too late. Getting right-hooked is the biggest danger of riding on the sidewalk yet it still happens from time to time on the road, as well. Imagine traveling down the sidewalk and a car traveling in the same direction passes you and then makes a right turn directly in front of you - rarely does anyone do this intentionally - this mistake is likely to happen because when a driver is not sharing the roadway with you they are far more likely to miscalculate your speed or not notice you. This often results in t-boning the car and injury only to the cyclist.
I didn't mean it as an insult and what's going on in Phoenix is truly remarkable. It's cool the city is creating bike lanes -- but 15th avenue?

First, police aren't actually enforcing people riding bikes on sidewalks, if they were they would be pulling over little kids in every single neighborhood in America. Secondly, saying it's safer to ride with traffic in the street as opposed to an already separated and dedicated sidewalk -- I'd like to see sources, not that you are wrong, but curious none the less to see the difference in safety.

I'm sure there aren't too many pedestrians on 15th avenue clogging up the sidewalks for cyclists or vice versa where there is just too much cyclist activity hogging the sidewalks from those pedestrians.

If the city creates dedicated bike lanes with dedicated barriers along the arterials with road diets, now that's something else -- I'm all for it!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:40 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Here's an interesting email I received from the city. Apparently, there's a new partnership with Lyft for rides to and from selected transit destinations. I assume that means light rail stations and express bus park-and-rides, but it will be interesting to learn the details.
This partnership was officially announced this morning. I plugged the code TRANSITPHX into the Lyft app on my phone, and it was recognized as providing 20% off 10 rides within a defined coverage area. There was a link to see the coverage area, and it appears to be designed for rides to and from RAPID express bus park-and-rides in the northern and southern portions of Phoenix. Unfortunately, it does not include rides to/from light rail stations, which is what I had hoped for.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

First, police aren't actually enforcing people riding bikes on sidewalks, if they were they would be pulling over little kids in every single neighborhood in America. Secondly, saying it's safer to ride with traffic in the street as opposed to an already separated and dedicated sidewalk -- I'd like to see sources, not that you are wrong, but curious none the less to see the difference in safety.
http://www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Sid...biking_FAQ.pdf
"Bicycling on the sidewalk eliminates the relatively small danger to cyclists of crashes with overtaking motorists, but increases the potential for more common intersection collisions."

http://www.bikemn.org/education/minn...idewalk-riding
"Motorists are looking in the road and not for sidewalk traffic moving at high speeds, such as bicyclists. They often don't see bicyclists there, especially at driveways and intersections. Sidewalks themselves pose dangers to bicyclists. Poor maintenance, uneven surfaces, gaps, and pedestrians make sidewalks difficult and dangerous for bicycles to navigate."

http://mobikefed.org/2016/08/bicycli...ot-recommended
"MYTH: Riders are safest on the sidewalk. At first glance, it seems like bicyclists are safest on sidewalks, separated from automobile traffic. Riding on the sidewalk does reduce the incidence of crashes involving cars passing bicyclists, but sidewalk riders significantly increase the risk of being hit by turning drivers. A 2009 review of 23 studies on bicycling injuries found the best places for bicyclists to travel were protected bike lanes, closely followed by on-road bike lanes and separated bike paths. It turns out that the most dangerous way to ride is the way many of us were taught as kids: on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic."

This isn't really debatable. Bicycling on the sidewalk is a really good way to get hit by a car.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
This partnership was officially announced this morning. I plugged the code TRANSITPHX into the Lyft app on my phone, and it was recognized as providing 20% off 10 rides within a defined coverage area. There was a link to see the coverage area, and it appears to be designed for rides to and from RAPID express bus park-and-rides in the northern and southern portions of Phoenix. Unfortunately, it does not include rides to/from light rail stations, which is what I had hoped for.
While I like the idea a lot I agree: no light rail, wtf? Oh well, it's a start.

This has been a bit of an obsession for me which I previously mentioned. Time has been scarce so I'll just repost a recent rant.
Quote:
Turning conventional wisdom on its head

Transit equity and the need to serve lower socioeconomic neighborhoods.
Say wut?
Quote:
The researchers found that car commuters in low-income neighborhoods in San Diego have about 30 times greater job accessibility than those who take public transit.
Admittedly out of context so let's start at the beginning.

How transit affects job seekers: The first and last mile to the station make all the difference
AUGUST 30, 2017 BY Ian Chaffee - USC News
Quote:
The way that public transit riders reach their nearest stop to home could make an important difference in the jobs available to them.
Another itch I've been trying to scratch is how important is the first & last mile - like compared to other things? We pay it occasional lip service and move on to other presumed transit priorities.

What say you USC researchers?
Quote:
The different ways riders leave and arrive at the stops closest to home and workplaces — what researchers term “first- and last-mile access” — can close this gap, even more effectively than more traditional and costly public transit measures like increasing transit frequency by adding buses and drivers.
Bingo
Quote:
Those distances that bookend a commute are crucial, according to the study’s lead author, Marlon Boarnet, a professor of public policy and chair of the department of urban planning and spatial analysis at the USC Price School of Public Policy.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 11:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
While I like the idea a lot I agree: no light rail, wtf? Oh well, it's a start.
Here's some coverage that explains the partnership a little more:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ops/774239001/

It's not just express park-and-rides, but any bus stop within the northern and southern ends of the city. That sort of makes sense because those areas have less transit service, so Lyft can be a first mile / last mile solution in those areas. On the other hand, residents of more central portions of the city are more likely to be transit users in the first place.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:27 PM
self-important urbanista

It appears Glendale has suspended its pursuit of light rail. I wonder if the planned line on west Camelback past Grand Canyon University will still go forward within Phoenix city limits. Part of the plan was to continue that line into Glendale when it crosses the city line at 43rd Ave.

"During the Oct. 17 workshop, council could not come to consensus to authorize staff to continue its research on bringing light rail to downtown Glendale. The lack of consensus effectively ended the prospect of light rail coming to town."

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...0bf7ebf88.html

Here's Valley Metro's response:

"Valley Metro will reassess the end-of-line for the project and continue to refine the areas of additional study and identify station locations and traffic configuration. Public outreach will continue throughout the process."

http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_...ntral_glendale

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:05 PM

That's a disappointment but not a surprise.

Glendale is cash strapped because of it's horrendous "investments" (aka taxpayer theft) in sports stadiums over the last 15 years. The economy is struggling in Glendale, and people don't want to move there. It's recent decision to effectively push out the Coyotes also seems shortsighted.

It doesn't seem like a huge loss. Aside from the Coyotes and Cardinals stadiums, there weren't a lot of huge ridership draws in Glendale. Hopefully the line will still go by Grand Canyon University, and the Coyotes will move along the light rail in Phoenix, Mesa, or Tempe.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:27 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That's a disappointment but not a surprise.

Glendale is cash strapped because of it's horrendous "investments" (aka taxpayer theft) in sports stadiums over the last 15 years. The economy is struggling in Glendale, and people don't want to move there. It's recent decision to effectively push out the Coyotes also seems shortsighted.

It doesn't seem like a huge loss. Aside from the Coyotes and Cardinals stadiums, there weren't a lot of huge ridership draws in Glendale. Hopefully the line will still go by Grand Canyon University, and the Coyotes will move along the light rail in Phoenix, Mesa, or Tempe.
I agree. While I'm generally supportive of light rail expansion, Glendale is not in good financial condition and didn't seem to know exactly what it wanted from light rail. A lot of community leaders were advocating for a line to Westgate, despite the fragility of the sports sprawl economy out there. I think it would have been far better to serve more stable and established destinations along 59th Avenue, but that never seemed to be discussed.

My only concerns are the following:

1) I don't know if there will now be enough projected ridership to justify a shorter spur past GCU that doesn't continue into Glendale.

2) Light rail opponents will use this decision by Glendale to claim that Phoenix should abandon or curtail its own investment in rail transit. One already has:

https://twitter.com/SamThePol/status/922472735783116807

https://twitter.com/SamThePol/status/921136994037645312

Thankfully, his boss is outvoted 7-2 on this issue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest