HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
What else is left for the renovation? I thought it was all done...but I don't get to Temp much these days.
The additional funds will cover the fourth-level building, which wasn't in the original plans. Increases also are anticipated in materials and labor as hurricane damage in Texas and Florida affects the national construction market, ASU Chief Financial Officer Morgan Olsen said.

Phase three will include connecting the main concourse with the south end zone. Premium seating will be added, along with expanded restrooms. Infrastructure improvements to water, electrical and mechanical systems also will be done. (Arizona Republic)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:15 PM

Few updates:
  • Mill redevelopment phase 1 unanimously passed the DRC last night. Only good things to say. Everyone seems really positive about it.
  • Tower crane base was in place when I rode by yesterday at Aura Watermark, and they were pouring concrete. I suspect we'll see the crane soon.
  • Local/Whole Foods is working on its 1st floor and seems to be moving along.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:00 PM

So is 100 Mill dead? Anyone hear anything on that one?

I drove by the Carvana site and they appear to have more equipment onsite.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:17 PM

There seems to be so much proposed for Tempe that I cannot keep up. What is this exactly?

http://ktgy.com/work/mixed-use-block-concept/

Also, is this the current rendering for Skyview (scroll down)?

http://golubandcompany.com/our-portfolio/

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
There seems to be so much proposed for Tempe that I cannot keep up. What is this exactly?

http://ktgy.com/work/mixed-use-block-concept/

Also, is this the current rendering for Skyview (scroll down)?

http://golubandcompany.com/our-portfolio/
The 'University Mixed Use' KTGY rendering has been posted here before. It appears to be on the surface parking lot off Ash between 3rd and 5th streets. I don't believe the project has ever been submitted for design review. I do recall an FAA obstruction evaluation for that lot for around 300 ft.--unsure if related.

The Skyview rendering looks somewhat different than the renderings that went through design review: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=47130. Those renderings show a design element on the parking structure and more cohesive cladding on the tower. Not sure which are more current, but I would assume the ones that went through the City.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
The 'University Mixed Use' KTGY rendering has been posted here before. It appears to be on the surface parking lot off Ash between 3rd and 5th streets. I don't believe the project has ever been submitted for design review. I do recall an FAA obstruction evaluation for that lot for around 300 ft.--unsure if related.

The Skyview rendering looks somewhat different than the renderings that went through design review: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=47130. Those renderings show a design element on the parking structure and more cohesive cladding on the tower. Not sure which are more current, but I would assume the ones that went through the City.
Do we know if/when Skyview is slated for construction. Articles have mentioned late 2017 or early 2018, but I'm just wondering if it's a for sure thing.

Edit: nevermind. I hadn't been in the area until recently to see that construction had started.

Last edited by stutteringpunk; Oct 30, 2017 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutteringpunk View Post
Do we know if/when Skyview is slated for construction. Articles have mentioned late 2017 or early 2018, but I'm just wondering if it's a for sure thing.

Edit: nevermind. I hadn't been in the area until recently to see that construction had started.
I think they are using it as staging for the ASU Greek Village construction across the street?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 7:08 PM
High Voltage

Ahh...the weather is turning nice, 'bout time for me to hit the streets of Tempe armed with my camera again.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Ahh...the weather is turning nice, 'bout time for me to hit the streets of Tempe armed with my camera again.
Don't forget to go by the ASU BioDesign building at Rural & University. They've started on the facade - I think it will be the sharpest building in Tempe once it's finished Summer 18'.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:12 AM

Judge rules that Tempe has right to evict squatter from valuable land near downtown

FINALLY

Richard Ruelas, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 2:08 p.m. MT Nov. 1, 2017 | Updated 4:10 p.m. MT Nov. 1, 2017

A judge has ruled that Tempe has the right to eject a man who has claimed squatters’ rights to a valuable piece of property near downtown that he claims has been in his family since the late 1800s.

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Karen Mullins, in a ruling filed Wednesday, concluded there is no evidence that Steve Sussex has any ownership of the land, which he has filled over the years with vehicles, a boat, a bus and various piles of debris.

The property also houses an adobe home built by one of Tempe's earliest settlers, one of the oldest existing structures in the region. Sussex says the home has been in his family for generations, dating back to the years before Arizona was a state.

The city of Tempe, which filed action to boot Sussex off the land in 2016, said through a spokesperson that it was pleased with the ruling. The e-mailed response did not contain details on any plans for city action to take possession of the land.

In a September court hearing on the matter, Shelley Cutts, an assistant city attorney for Tempe, argued forcefully that Sussex needed to go.

“Sussex is a trespasser who has blighted this property with junk, debris and abandoned vehicles,” she said.

Judge: Some claims are too late

Jack Wilenchik, the attorney for Sussex, said during his argument before the judge in September that it was not clear who owned the land. He said Sussex might not have a clear documented title, but neither does the city.

Wilenchik said the transactions that left Tempe as the parcel's owner were invalid because the land was originally granted to the territory of Arizona in 1910 in trust and needed to be auctioned off to benefit public education.

Over the years, Union Pacific Railroad also entered the picture, having used part of the land for a right-of-way.

Wilenchik said the city, state and railroad could not deal the land among themselves and that the land needed to put up for auction again.

Mullins ruled that the time to raise that argument had passed. In her ruling, she said Wilenchik needed to make that claim within a year after he discovered it. She said Wilenchik had outlined the supposedly illegal land transaction in a letter to Tempe in February 2015. He didn’t officially raise it in court until July 2016.

In a phone interview on Wednesday, Wilenchik said he would ask the judge to reconsider her ruling. He would also object to any action Tempe took to eject Sussex.

He said his client was still open to negotiating a deal with the city. Earlier this year, the city rejected a proposal put together by former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman that would have placed condominiums and a brewery on the site. The deal also would have produced funds to preserve the adobe house.

“We’ve always been open to (a settlement), but the city has been heavy-handed,” Wilenchik said, “and just drives us to fight even harder.”

Under the ruling, the city would have the power to forcibly remove Sussex’s possessions from the land and take it over. It is unclear what would happen to the home, which is listed on the city’s register of historic properties.

The ruling itself addresses transactions dating back to 1892 and includes references to the Arizona Enabling Act of 1910.

The land in question has been the subject of active lawsuits for the past dozen years. The city has had its eyes on the property, near its bustling downtown and steps away from a prime tourist attraction, the Tempe Town Lake, since at least the late 1980s.

Sussex has said the land has been in his family since 1892, when his great-grandfather, Jesus Martinez, purchased it from a settler named Ramon Gonzalez. He said the land passed through family hands through the years and it was given over to him by his grandmother, Belen Sussex.

Meanwhile, apparently unbeknownst to the family, the land underneath the home was deeded by the federal government over to the territory of Arizona in 1910 under the Enabling Act. It became property of the territory, and subsequently the state, under trust.

From dusty lot to prime location

Sussex, a self-proclaimed “junker,” ran a contracting business on the property. He also allowed a painting business to run out of the historic home and allowed friends to store vehicles in various states of repair on the property.

No one minded when the area fronted a dried-up Salt River bed and was used as an unofficial junkyard by residents of Tempe.

But once Tempe revitalized downtown Mill Avenue, filling it with restaurants and bars, and created instant waterfront property with the Tempe Town Lake, Sussex’s property became an eyesore, one that passing commuters on the light rail train saw as they entered the city.

Sussex already lost a legal battle over part of the 1.75 acre parcel, located on the northeast corner of First Street and Farmer Avenue.

In 2005, the state prevailed in its legal battle against Sussex, with the judge ruling that Sussex and his family had essentially been trespassers for more than a century. Sussex moved his belongings over to the eastern half of the property, one that had been part of a right-of-way for the Union Pacific Railroad.

That was the portion that Tempe claimed it acquired in a deal between the state and the railroad.

Sussex asserted his ownership rights in July 2016, saying he had acquired the land through “adverse possession,” the legal term for squatters’ rights. He helpfully included a $5 check to cover the processing fees for the city to hand over title.

Sussex argued he had openly lived on the land for years and the city had done nothing to kick him out. A Superior Court judge threw out that lawsuit, citing case law that said citizens can’t use adverse possession on government lands.

Wilenchik appealed that to the Arizona Supreme Court, which will decide whether to take that case this month.

More claims and counterclaims

In August 2016, Tempe filed an action to eject Sussex from the land.

In his defense to that action and in a counter-claim of his own, Wilenchik raised the issue of how Tempe acquired that land.

He argued that a 2002 deal between the state, the railroad and the city was invalid. In court in September, the argument quickly delved into historic legal minutia.

“I don’t want to get into the history of railroad law,” Wilenchik said during that hearing.

“Neither do I,” replied Judge Mullins, “But I think we’re going to have to.”

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:55 PM
High Voltage

^You would think that the city could take action against him on the principle that he is basically operating an illegal junkyard alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Don't forget to go by the ASU BioDesign building at Rural & University. They've started on the facade - I think it will be the sharpest building in Tempe once it's finished Summer 18'.
You bet! I'll be sure to swing by and check it out.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:20 PM

Looking forward to it TAZ4ate0. Since I moved to Midtown last summer I don't get over there enough.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:08 AM

Greek village construction camera: https://app.oxblue.com/open/acc/asucholla

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
That view is spectacular with ASU/Marina Heights/Camelback. SkyView will have some of the best views in the state once it's built.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Do you (or anyone) know if there are cams for the 7th St mixed use development or The Local? The 7th St development is really moving along and is visible from the flyover ramps from the US 60 to I-10.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Thanks for the link. Do you (or anyone) know if there are cams for the 7th St mixed use development or The Local? The 7th St development is really moving along and is visible from the flyover ramps from the US 60 to I-10.
I haven't found one for the Local yet but 7th St. has a camera and it's awesome: https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I haven't found one for the Local yet but 7th St. has a camera and it's awesome: https://app.oxblue.com/open/EDR/tempe
Great find!! Thanks once again!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:07 PM

Hockey, pro soccer part of ASU’s plan for multi-use Sun Devil Stadium

Pretty interesting read about other sports/uses at SDS. Not sure how feasible having ASU Men's Hockey play here but if they can pull it off, how cool is that? Also, partnering with City of Tempe officials to move all concerts from Tempe Town Lake to SDS.

https://azbigmedia.com/hockey-pro-so...devil-stadium/

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Pretty interesting read about other sports/uses at SDS. Not sure how feasible having ASU Men's Hockey play here but if they can pull it off, how cool is that? Also, partnering with City of Tempe officials to move all concerts from Tempe Town Lake to SDS.

https://azbigmedia.com/hockey-pro-so...devil-stadium/
I don't think concerts moved from the lake is a good move, Tempe Town lake is great for festivals and smaller concerts, I would think the new sun devil stadium will steal concerts from Downtown and University of Phoenix Stadium.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:42 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I don't think concerts moved from the lake is a good move, Tempe Town lake is great for festivals and smaller concerts, I would think the new sun devil stadium will steal concerts from Downtown and University of Phoenix Stadium.
Edit: Nvm. I misread the part about the partnership with the city. Lol

Anyway. Agreed. I would like to see the concerts remain at the park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest