HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 8:42 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
It doesn't really matter where you are in phoenix the airport is in a super central location.

Most cities don't have the airport right in the middle of everything.
True. But I think in this case where Phoenix was already at the bottom of the list, they needed to maximize everything to their benefit as much as possible. This includes making it a 10 minute drive to the airport versus a 20 to 25 minutes Phoenix needed to say "Hey! We can get you to the airport in less than 10 minutes."

Again, this was just my opinion...one of many why we won't get HQ2. We all knew that Phoenix really didn't have a chance from the get go.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 11:57 PM

Another user in one of the other forums mentioned that the hearing on the Barrister was yesterday and received unanimous approval alongside an updated proposal. Also mentioned that the area for the new tower at the Arizona Center appeared to be roped off. This article https://downtowndevil.com/2017/10/19...rrister-alley/ says the proposed building will be 32 stories tall.

Last edited by stutteringpunk; Oct 20, 2017 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:55 AM

Mining company to move international headquarters to Phoenix, bringing 100 jobs

100 high wage jobs coming to midtown highrise - 2600 N. Central. Sounds good to me. Office vacancy rates should keep going down - c'mon new office tower

100 more multi-national corporate executives in Phoenix also certainly won't hurt our chances of getting more international flights to Sky Harbor.

Phoenix Business Journal:

Quote:
CMOC is locating 100 corporate employees at a 25,000-square-foot office on Central Avenue in midtown Phoenix.

CMOC will bring top executives, general counsel, finance and international marketing operations to its Phoenix base.

Phoenix officials welcome the headquarters site selection and the type of jobs coming to the midtown area.

“CMOC International’s decision to locate their corporate headquarters to Midtown is another example of advanced industries viewing the central core of Phoenix as a strong hub for businesses and workforce development,” said Phoenix Vice Mayor Laura Pastor. “This is a great example of how the city’s investment in expanding access to mass transit opportunities, particularly light rail, has contributed to a major company’s choice to locate to the area, and I’m sure this investment will continue to attract other advanced businesses to Phoenix.”

Phoenix is looking to pitch the Park Central Mall development in midtown to Amazon.com (Nasdaq: AMZN) for its much coveted $5 billion second headquarters. CMOC International is locating at 2600 N. Central Ave.
AZ Central:

Quote:
About 100 international mining executives will relocate to downtown Phoenix as CMOC International opens a 25,000-square-foot headquarters, the company announced.

The company is moving to 2600 N. Central Ave.

“Any company considering a footprint in the Western Hemisphere needs to seriously consider Phoenix," CEO Kalidas Madhavpeddi said in a news release.

The company canceled a planned opening ceremony and donated the $20,000 it would have spent to the Salvation Army's hurricane-relief efforts in the U.S., a move praised by Phoenix civic leaders. Company executives donated an additional $5,000 to the effort personally.

“Phoenix is a good place for a mining company; it’s big part of Arizona’s history and it is a great location for a global company to locate," Madhavpeddi said. "It’s easy to travel to and from our mining properties with a Phoenix base. This lets us tap a workforce that has experience with international business. We’re close to key vendors, like Caterpillar.”

The company plans additional hires after starting with about 100 on site.

CMOC International is a wholly owned subsidiary of CMOC.

CMOC, which stands for China Molybdenum Co. Ltd., was established in China in 2006 and is listed on the Hong Kong and Shanghai stock exchanges.

The company runs mines in Africa, Brazil and Australia and recently acquired an indirect stake of the Tenke-Fungurume Mines in the Democratic Republic of Congo from Phoenix-based Freeport-McMoRan Inc.

Its mines produce copper, cobalt, niobium, and phosphates.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:00 PM
BANNED

This is the kind of news I dig.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpx View Post
This is the kind of news I dig.
This is gold.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

This is gold.
I see what you did.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 2:50 AM

Arizona Challenger Space Center moves to a Phoenix mall — at least for now

This isn't huge news but it's welcome news - the Challenger Space Museum is moving from its extremely decentralized location in northwest Peoria to the Metro Center Mall. This is an under appreciated cultural asset in Phoenix, and it's nice to see that it's moving more centrally located and along the light rail line. The Metro Center Mall location is temporary but it'd be great if it stuck around Phoenix on the light-rail line (although unlikely, it'd be great if it were by the Heard Museum and Art Museum).

AZ Central

Quote:
The Arizona Challenger Space Center is setting up temporary headquarters at Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix.

Visitors won't find the full museum the center had in Peoria, but the non-profit is renting 5,400 square feet of office and classroom space to continue education programs with area schools. The mall's owner, Carlyle Development Group, will provide space for the center's gift shop heading into the holiday season, said Beverly Swayman, the center's executive director.

The mall also provided storage for exhibits and artifacts, she said.

The new digs are temporary. Challenger is negotiating with Metrocenter, as well as the cities of Glendale and Surprise, for a larger, permanent home, Swayman said.

The 28,000-square-foot Challenger Space Center opened in Peoria in 2000, one of numerous Challenger Centers that were developed around the world after the 1986 Challenger Space Shuttle disaster that killed five astronauts and two others, including teacher Christa McAuliffe. The centers aim to inspire children about space, science and technology.

The Peoria center closed Aug. 5 after years of struggling to pay its mortgage. The Peoria Unified School District acquired the building in a land-swap deal in mid-August.

Swayman said the temporary space at Metrocenter allows the center to continue its education programs as it looks for a permanent solution.

"This has to be a thoughtful process as we look to the future and what it will mean to the communities we have served all these years," she said in a written statement.

They hope to find a 30,000 square feet of space for classrooms, a lunch room, art exhibits and a space mission simulator.

“It is imperative for us to be in an accessible location in an area that is showing expansion possibilities," Swayman said in the statement.

The center has set up a GoFundMe campaign to generate funds for their impending move to a new structure. Profits from the gift shop also will go toward the move, as well as student scholarships.
There's also a GoFundMe page for donations to help with the move to Phoenix (I made a small donation - I should have put a comment about keeping it in Phoenix along the light rail). It's a 501(c)(3) organization so the donations are tax deductible.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 4:05 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
This isn't huge news but it's welcome news - the Challenger Space Museum is moving from its extremely decentralized location in northwest Peoria to the Metro Center Mall. This is an under appreciated cultural asset in Phoenix, and it's nice to see that it's moving more centrally located and along the light rail line. The Metro Center Mall location is temporary but it'd be great if it stuck around Phoenix on the light-rail line (although unlikely, it'd be great if it were by the Heard Museum and Art Museum).

AZ Central

There's also a GoFundMe page for donations to help with the move to Phoenix (I made a small donation - I should have put a comment about keeping it in Phoenix along the light rail). It's a 501(c)(3) organization so the donations are tax deductible.
Excellent news, and I agree that it would be great to see it work out on a permanent basis.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 12:01 AM

Im told Cooperstown abruptly closed tonight...

Employees didnt even know. My initial reaction is a rent type situation, but hearing its closed for good.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
True. But I think in this case where Phoenix was already at the bottom of the list, they needed to maximize everything to their benefit as much as possible. This includes making it a 10 minute drive to the airport versus a 20 to 25 minutes Phoenix needed to say "Hey! We can get you to the airport in less than 10 minutes."

Again, this was just my opinion...one of many why we won't get HQ2. We all knew that Phoenix really didn't have a chance from the get go.
Getting to the Airport in 20 minutes is very acceptable in cities with over 1 million in population. You need to get out and see more cities. There are very few cities in the U.S. that have an airport neither alone a top ten airport as close to downtown or midtown then Phoenix. Try driving from Amazon headquarters to SEATAC Airport and get back to us on how long that takes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 2:39 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
Im told Cooperstown abruptly closed tonight...

Employees didnt even know. My initial reaction is a rent type situation, but hearing its closed for good.
Confirmed:

https://www.facebook.com/Independent...08208172563475

I don't think I ever went there. With increased interest in the Warehouse District and construction starting soon on the South Central light rail extension, I'm optimistic something worthwhile will move into the space.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 5:27 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Getting to the Airport in 20 minutes is very acceptable in cities with over 1 million in population. You need to get out and see more cities. There are very few cities in the U.S. that have an airport neither alone a top ten airport as close to downtown or midtown then Phoenix. Try driving from Amazon headquarters to SEATAC Airport and get back to us on how long that takes.
Lol. I've been to every single metro over 500,000 in the U.S.

But if you look at the top contending sites, they are submitting multiple sites. Chicago submitted 10 sites alone. Phoenix submitted 1 site. My argument was Phoenix needed to submit the BEST proposal possible to even be considered for HQ2. The Midtown location was not a good choice IMO and I brought up the distance to the airport and no left Turns at Thomas as obstacles. They are not the sole reason we will not get HQ2. It's just the proposal needed to be absolutely perfect and that's what I was trying to convey. If Phoenix were Atlanta or Dallas, then we could've had much more leeway.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:09 PM

I agree with you, Amazon is not going to locate here.

But to say some small detail such as "no left turns at Thomas" would be the deal breaker sounds crazy. They will be looking at a much, much, much larger picture than that. The distance to the airport is super close, you can drive from Park Central to the airport in less than 20 minutes at all times of day except maybe 3-6pm.

Atlanta will be the next Amazon location.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:29 PM
Modulator

Again...missing the point I am trying to make. But my money is on Atlanta too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I agree with you, Amazon is not going to locate here.

But to say some small detail such as "no left turns at Thomas" would be the deal breaker sounds crazy. They will be looking at a much, much, much larger picture than that. The distance to the airport is super close, you can drive from Park Central to the airport in less than 20 minutes at all times of day except maybe 3-6pm.

Atlanta will be the next Amazon location.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:14 PM

I'm not sure what your point was, you seemed to be focused on the "obstacles" around there and referenced how many sites Chicago submitted like all of those have some magic road paved with diamonds going straight to each site. No "no left turn" signs, no traffic, just smooth.

c'mon, lets not kid ourselves. Park Central Mall is probably one of the easiest places to access, as a whole, in the city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:19 PM

can we get back to actual development news? lol

Wonder if we should have a dedicated Amazon HQ2 thread? Let's be honest, Tempe has a better chance of landing it than Phoenix does based on location/proposed site and proximity to ASU.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 7:40 PM

I agree, if I were Amazon I'd be looking hard at that Rio Salado (old Karsten golf course) location before I gave Park Central the time of day. Lots more room to grow comfortably there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:20 AM

[QUOTE=biggus diggus;7962082]I agree with you, Amazon is not going to locate here.

Atlanta will be the next Amazon location.[/QUO
g
Geographically Atlanta makes sense. Traffic wise not a chance. That is some of the worst traffic in the USA right up there with Seattle. Not enough major streets outside of overcrowded freeways.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 4:19 AM

Unless Amazon is opening up another call or distribution center, they are not coming here.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:46 PM

I think I may have seen someone post a culmination of projects, but do we have a list anywhere of projects and start dates?

y30 ish Plus 30 (and 25 and 20) for the link
32 for Barrister
20 for Stewart
20 for Derby
17 for Central park east
17 for block 23
potentially ~20-25 for Colliers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest