HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:24 PM

Quote:
True. Sorta like how a lot of the tenants at the Biltmore and Esplanade are rather un-unique, but appeal to the common visitor that goes to that area, as well.
I wouldn't say Biltmore is un-uniqque. There are many unique restaurants in the Biltmore area that are fantastic and stores whose only location in arizona is there. I would have liked to see Westgate adopt a more Kierland appeal with locally owned boutiques, local restaurants, etc.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:58 AM

More recent pics of Westgate and surrounding development.

http://www.sheacommercial.com/upload...te-Aerials.pdf

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 7:35 AM
Bleh.

Nevermind.

Last edited by CodyW; Sep 5, 2006 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter
More recent pics of Westgate and surrounding development.

http://www.sheacommercial.com/upload...te-Aerials.pdf
Coming along.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2006, 5:51 PM

Awesome, this is quickly becoming a catalyst for even more development from Zanjero to some half dozen business parks along the 101 south to the I-10. The aerial photos are a bit misleading and the lack of reference points doesn’t do justice to the actual scale of the development area. Just gauge that the Cardinals stadium is as large as Chase field, now imagine the coverage area if this were downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 12:31 PM

Goodyear officially lands Cleveland Indians for spring training:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...eball0928.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:16 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Glad to see the Indians back in town. Now if the Cactus League can land the Stl Cardinals and the LA Dodgers (both teams that I think are a more natural fit in the Cactus League), I'd be ecstatic.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 4:35 AM
BANNED

For all you non-believers

Upscale chocolate, wine lounge coming to Westgate City Center

Frank Morris
staff writer

Chocolate and wine: Two of the finest things in life are coming to Glendale when Westgate City Center, at 95th and Glendale avenues, opens in mid-November.

Sweet O Wine and Chocolate Lounge (the O stands for "origine," French for "origin") will offer a full line of handmade, exclusive chocolate candies and truffles, pure chocolate fondues offered in dark, white and milk chocolate, a full line of pastries, a large appetizer menu and grilled panini sandwiches.

The upscale wine bar and chocolate lounge will also sell a line of single-origin chocolate bars from Venezuela, Peru, Madagascar, Tanzania and other exotic locales.

Though many people might not think to pair wine with chocolate, the two actually make an excellent combination, Executive Manager Jeanette Dubreil said.

"The region, the origin, of wine plays into the flavor of the wine, just like the origin of chocolate plays into the flavor of chocolate. Really, when you think about it, the two have a lot of similarities," she said.

"What we'll do is we'll find a wine that will be paired with the chocolates. For instance, mango truffles can be paired well with a white wine," Jeanette said.

And the wine selection at Sweet O will be one of a kind, Lounge Manager John Ferra said.

"You'll be able to come to our store and get wines you won't be able to find anywhere else. We want to make sure our wines aren't ones usually put out in stores," he said.

Though finding the right wines for the shop "has been a lot of hard work," Jeanette said, "It's been fun."

Exclusive wines won't be the only drink offerings at Sweet O. "We'll have chocolate drinks - hot ones for the winter and cold ones for the summer," said Pierrick Dubriel, Jeanette's husband and general manager of Sweet O.

Originally from France, Pierrick trained as a chef in Paris, and has worked in a number of fine dining establishments in France, as well as in the United States.

He's also been the regional sales manager of the gourmet chocolate company Barry Callebaut for the past four years.

A sweet deal

Sweet O is Pierrick's concept. "I'm going to use some of my knowledge to bring to the shop," he said.

This is the couple's first business endeavor, making Westgate the store's premier location.

"The concept is tremendous, and I think people in the West Valley are definitely deserving of this," said Jeffrey Hecht, spokesman for the Ellman Cos., which is developing Westgate.

The 2,000-square-foot shop will seat about 65 people indoors, and an additional 60 individuals on the wrap-around patio, which looks out onto Westgate's Fountain Park.

Guests will be able to sit down and enjoy one of Sweet O's many dishes, such as the Duck Confit Tartine: shredded duck confit on toasted French country bread, topped with truffle oil and duck prociutto, served with mixed baby greens.

Or the Smoked Seafood Plate: a variety of smoked fish, including Scottish salmon, peppered tuna, blue marlin and trout fillets, served with toasted blinis and herbed crème fraiche.

No butter, oil or vegetable spread is used in the making of Sweet O's food selections. Rather, expect cocoa butter. "It's just another use of chocolate, and you'll never notice it," Jeanette said.

The lounge will also feature a small retail area with a variety of wines, chocolates and gift baskets available for purchase.

The price range of Sweet O's goods will vary, Jeanette said. And while mostly high-end, there will be some "very reasonably priced" items as well.

"Upscale? Yes. But it's going to be fun and casual. We want to provide a nice ambiance," Ferra said.

"But we're not going to have buffalo wings at all," Jeanette added.

For information on Sweet O Wine and Chocolate Lounge, visit www.sweetolounge.com.

Courtesy of the View.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:25 PM
Bleh.

Chocolate drinks? That could be nice... If the drinks aren't overpriced. But "very reasonably priced" could mean anything.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2006, 2:34 AM

Does anyone have the official date that Westgate is supposed to open?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2006, 9:40 AM

Glendale Arena nears deal of its own on naming rights
Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 12, 2006

Could Glendale's two most prominent sporting venues get renamed within a month of each other?

Phoenix Coyotes President Doug Moss says the hockey team may be just a couple of weeks away from securing a naming rights deal for Glendale Arena.

Valley residents are still adjusting to the Sept. 26 announcement that Cardinals Stadium, across the street from the arena, is likely to become University of Phoenix Stadium.

Unlike the football stadium, named within two months of its August opening, the hockey arena opened three years ago. A naming-rights deal was partially hampered by a dispute between players and owners that led to an NHL lockout that erased an entire season.

"We're down to negotiating with a single partner," Moss said.

He stopped short of giving details on whether the naming rights would go to a Valley business or how lucrative it might be for the team.

"No hints," Moss said. "Let's see what we do."

Old Posted Oct 13, 2006, 1:38 AM

University of Phoenix Stadium is such an awful name. I wish they'd name it after the parent company, the Apollo Group. "Apollo Stadium" doesn't sound band, actually it sounds pretty sweat, but I guess most people don't know that name in association w/ the school.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 5:38 AM

Post Jobing.com Arena?

Jobing.com close to naming-rights deal for Glendale Arena
Terry Lefton and Don Muret
The Business Journal of Phoenix
October 19, 2006

Job recruitment site Jobing.com soon will be announced as the naming-rights partner for Glendale Arena, home of the Phoenix Coyotes.

A source said the deal would be for 10 years at $2.5 million to $3 million annually.

Coyotes President and Chief Operating Officer Doug Moss confirmed that the team was negotiating with one company, but he would not identify the business and said a deal had not been completed as of this morning. "We are either going to have a deal or not in the next few days," Moss said. "These things can drag on. If we don't have a deal, we will move on."

But a source said the naming-rights deal was expected to be officially announced next week. One working name for the building is said to be Jobing.com Arena, although Jobing.com Center also is a possibility.

Jobing.com will get signage, tickets, suites and use of the building for meetings and job fairs, which the company has held there before.

The company announced a multi-year sponsorship with the Coyotes earlier this month. Under that deal, Jobing.com was to receive signage and other opportunities within the arena.

Sports marketing company the Bonham Group of Colorado has had the naming-rights sales assignment for Glendale Arena since the building opened in 2003.

The deal follows on the heels of the $155 million, 20-year agreement signed by University of Phoenix, whose name will grace the nearby Arizona Cardinals stadium.

Calls to Jobing.com seeking comment were not returned.

The Phoenix-based company hosts job fairs, human resources Web sites, JobingTV and Go Jobing magazine. In addition to the Phoenix and Tucson areas, the company serves parts of California, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 6:07 AM

Wow, another lame name. "Chase Field" is now the only pro stadium in town that has an ok name that rolls off the tongue. The rest of them sound freakin' awful.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 7:38 AM
The Lizard King

Omg This Can't Be Happening...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 6:08 PM

Who cares what the names are. You can call them Glendale Arena/Stadium and people will know what you mean. What matters is that this means more revenue for the teams.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 9:12 PM

Question Westgate Lofts

On the Westgate website there are residence lofts but I can't find any info on them. There's the Quarter townhomes but I don't see the residence lofts advertised. Does anyone know where I could get info? Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 11:54 PM

Thy're not for sale yet.
I believe Ellman is developing these.
Right now there are the Quarter townhomes and the Zanjero condos.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 3:47 AM

Westgate Lofts

Thanks Loftlovr. I'd appreciate any updates on this matter. I'm definitely considering buying one. I wanted to get a townhome but they didnt want investors and would like primary residents only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr
Thy're not for sale yet.
I believe Ellman is developing these.
Right now there are the Quarter townhomes and the Zanjero condos.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:41 AM

I'm sorry - but I don't understand why anyone would want to live there? Really good MALL access perhaps? Then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to live in Glendale, yet some do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest