HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:00 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
Actually an existing older apartment complex is what is there now-
Bye Bye older apartment complex (so long as the numbers are there I suppose)
Six city blocks? Older apartment complex? Do you have a more specific location of the site's boundaries?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:57 PM

SW corner of 78th street and Indian School.
-Don't know if it encompasses more than that apartment complex or not...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 7:47 AM

^ You mean 78th St and Camelback, right?

That is a large complex.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 7:28 AM

Yeah- sorry!
Camelback...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 8:37 AM
under the influence...

Hotel-condo project planned for downtown Scottsdale
Development along canal would link to prime spots

Peter Corbett
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 17, 2007 12:00 AM

Quote:
A six-story luxury hotel and more than 200 condos, some of them going for more than $1 million, would be built in downtown Scottsdale, according to plans a development group plans to submit to the city Monday.

The unnamed project would be built on 10.37 acres southeast of the Arizona Canal and northeast of Camelback and Scottsdale roads along a nearly half-mile stretch of aging apartments on 73rd Street.

It would include improvements to the canal bank and two pedestrian bridges, linking the development with the Safari Drive condos under construction northwest of the canal. It also would be linked to Scottsdale Fashion Square to the west, and Scottsdale Waterfront to the southwest.

In addition, 73rd Street would be realigned with Buckboard Trail, allowing a safer crossing at a traffic signal for pedestrians going to and from the W Hotel Scottsdale and nightclubs south of Camelback.

"This ties all the quadrants together," said development attorney John Berry, representing Scottsdale Canal Development LLC.

The two principals, John Wanninger and Mark Madkour, have development experience in the Minneapolis area.

They are seeking a rezoning that would allow a 72-foot-tall hotel and condos of up to 65 feet high. Parking would be underground.

Their plan includes 190 condos plus 16 penthouse units of up to 5,200 square feet. They would feature far more outdoor living space than other luxury condos are offering, Wanninger said.

In addition to 80 guest rooms, the hotel would have 120 condos that the owners could lease back to the hotel for overnight guests.

No hotel brand has been selected, but Madkour said discussions are under way with three luxury brands that are not currently in the Arizona market.

The developers, who assembled nearly 30 parcels of land, intend to add desert landscaping along the canal and a 1-acre park at the northern edge of the property to buffer it from the Villa Monterey neighborhood.

Discussions also are under way with Salt River Project to relocate a 5-acre electrical substation adjacent to the proposed development.

Dick Hayslip, SRP assistant general manager, said the utility is agreeable to moving away from downtown's premier intersection of Camelback and Scottsdale roads.

The developers and an SRP consultant are studying the costs and looking for new downtown sites for the substation.

Scottsdale may be asked to help pay for the relocation, Berry said, adding that it would benefit downtown by removing the unsightly power facilities.

Scottsdale Canal Development hopes to start marketing the condos this fall and break ground in the first quarter of 2008. It would take about 30 months to complete, well into 2010.

The developers said they are confident their condos will sell despite a softer housing market and a surge of new condos opening downtown.

"We're not worried about it" because Scottsdale is such a growing and dynamic market, Wanninger said.
Sounds pretty exciting. That's a prime corner.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:26 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:04 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Will Bruder is doing the design for the new Dial Headquarters. I was at some meeting at Dial this week and they had a couple of cool renderings, but I couldn't get a picture because photography is not allowed in the facility.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:31 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ What were your impressions of the new HQ? Was it one building or a "corporate campus" type thing? Is it going to be located at the Airpark? If so I'd assume we're talking low-rise building(s), no?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 10:11 PM
-_-

Aren't they relocating to that office park at 101 and Pima?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 8:44 AM

^ If I'm not mistaken, the new Dial headquarters will be in One Scottsdale, that massive mixed-use development on the NE corner of Scottsdale Rd and the 101--luxury retail, condos, office, hotel, etc.

The new "Dial Building" will only be about 3 or 4 stories.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Scottsdale Rd and the 101
Camelback Road is correct. The new Dial headquarters will be at 101 and Scottsdale Road. The rendering I saw and had only a minute or two to look over impressed me. It seemed to be a large, 4-5 story facility with an appealing, modern Bruder design with a lot of glass. I don't think, from what I saw in the picture, that it will be a "campus", it looked like it will be one large facility. There were some nice Bruder elements in the design (i.e. hard geometric shapes and such) and the building appeared to be a steel/gray color. Wish I could've snagged a quick pick with my cell phone. However, it will be interesting to see how much of Bruder's design ends up in the finished project. I imagine that some of his work is more expensive than traditional construction and in the world of corporate America, the old mighty dollar is king.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:54 PM

does anyone have an update on the status of the ASU skysong project? i drove by there the other day and saw that it was all framed up, i think about 5 stories tall maybe? is it just going to be that 1 building? when is it supposed to be completed? its about time they are developing that empty lot. it was supposed to be the coyotes arena when the former los arcos mall was torn down, but it never happened and we were left with an empty lot. i love watching this part of town getting revitalized

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:45 PM
Skyriser

The first phase should be open by Fall of 07 ... my work (CRESMET) was supposed to move there then but it looks like it's going to be another year for the next phase till we start talking about that again.

as i understand it, they're just about covering that lot with project buildings (no surface lots except for on-street parking)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:06 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...ian0129Z8.html

New hotel aims to lure young, hip travelers
Angelique Soenarie
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 29, 2007 12:00 AM

SCOTTSDALE - The city is adding another gem to its collection of upscale resorts and nightclubs aimed at young, hip travelers.

Once the home of the James Hotel, the Mondrian Scottsdale, a sister of the original in Los Angeles, debuts Tuesday.

The resort is one of several modern urban resorts owned by Morgans Hotel Group in New York.

Not far from the nightlife, arts and shopping in downtown Scottsdale, the hotel is at 7353 E. Indian School Road.

The modish boutique hotel boasts plenty of amenities, besides its 194 rooms, 15 suites, two apartments, two pools and cabanas. For food and entertaining, it offers fine dining and two trendy bars. Rooms start at $395.

"This makes Scottsdale one of the hottest destinations in the country," said Lauren Simons, vice president of marketing for the Scottsdale Convention & Visitors Bureau. "The Mondrian brings in that cachet and international appeal that Morgans has enjoyed in their hotels around the world."

To help sort through Scottsdale's booming hotel and social scene, the bureau in February will release a 150-page guide about the city's attractions and nightlife.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And....

Hotel Indigo almost completed

http://www.scottsdalehiphotel.com/
www.hotelindigo.com
http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_i...rticle_id=6817

Hotel Indigo Scottsdale Opens
1/3/2007 10:51:46 AM
Hotel Indigo Scottsdale, a fashion-forward, boutique-style hotel will kick off the new year by opening its doors Jan. 5. The 126-room, retail-inspired hotel, located near Scottsdale and Camelback roads, will represent the seventh location for the industry’s first branded boutique hotel experience from InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG).

Everest Holdings LLC, a Scottsdale-based real estate company, invested approximately $17 million to bring Hotel Indigo to downtown Scottsdale. The branded boutique hotel is designed to appeal to lifestyle focused guests who desire affordable luxury, genuine quality and an alternative to traditional hotels. Hotel Indigo provides stylish accommodations and a personalized service experience in a unique and intimate atmosphere. It differs from most in its approach to bring nature inside urban spaces, creating a rejuvenating experience for hotel guests. Furnishings, art and a highly developed graphics-based interiors program stylishly produce a calming and inviting environment for guests.

“Every aspect of Hotel Indigo is unlike anything the Valley has ever experienced before.” said Joseph Blackbourn, president and CEO of Everest Holdings. “It fills the void that exists in the market today between high-priced luxury hotels and lower-end affordable hotels.” The soul of Hotel Indigo’s branded boutique concept is “renewal” – thoughtful changes that are made throughout the year to keep the hotel fresh. The renewal concept provides even the most frequent guest a unique experience with every stay. Hotel Indigo Scottsdale features elements such as vivid murals, area rugs and plush duvets. Public spaces will also transform seasonally through changing artwork, music, flora, murals and directional signage.

Each Hotel Indigo will be unique to its location. The Scottsdale hotel is set apart by its commitment to the local arts. Through its Arts and Culture program, Hotel Indigo Scottsdale has created lasting partnerships with Scottsdale Public Arts, local artists and Arizona State University’s Herberger College of the Arts.

Photography of the Arizona landscape, by four Arizona artists, will be featured on the hotel front and inside corridors. Also, Hotel Indigo Scottsdale, through its partnership with ASU’s Herberger College of the Arts and Scottsdale Public Arts, will grant a scholarship to a selected student for the commission of several projects for the hotel. “Scottsdale is an exciting addition to our Hotel Indigo family. I can’t think of a better place than downtown Scottsdale to showcase our newest, world-class, branded boutique concept,” said Jim Anhut, senior vice president, Brand Development, Intercontinental Hotels Group. “This property has undergone a complete transformation and will truly offer a one-of-a-kind experience.”

About Everest
Everest Holdings, founded by Joseph Blackbourn, is a Scottsdale-based investment and advisory services company concentrating on assets and clients in the Southwestern United States. Investors and clients of Everest include some of the nation’s largest and most seasoned participants in diverse markets. The company serves as a catalyst for its investors to capitalize on opportunities and execute strategies as they arise. Everest’s property portfolio includes the Crowne Plaza Phoenix, Hotel Indigo Scottsdale and Lobo Ranch, in New Mexico. For more information on Everest, visit www.everestholdings.com.

About Hotel Indigo

The newest member of the InterContinental Hotels Group family, Hotel Indigo is the industry’s first branded boutique hotel experience. It is uniquely designed to appeal to lifestyle focused guests who desire affordable luxury, genuine service and an alternative to traditional hotels without sacrificing any of the businesses amenities they have come to expect. Renewal is the soul of Hotel Indigo’s retail-inspired design concept – thoughtful changes that are made throughout the year to keep the hotel fresh, similar to the way retailers change their window displays. Guestrooms feature signature murals, area rugs, fluffy duvets and slipcovers that change periodically, while public spaces are transformed seasonally through changing aromas, music, artwork, murals and directional signage. From relaxed café dining to high-style rooms – Hotel Indigo creates an intriguing, warm and inviting environment for guests. For more information on Hotel Indigo, please visit www.hotelindigo.com.

About InterContinental Hotels Group

InterContinental Hotels Group PLC of the United Kingdom [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] is the world's largest hotel group by number of rooms. InterContinental Hotels Group owns, manages, leases or franchises, through various subsidiaries, over 3,650 hotels and 543,775 guest rooms in nearly 100 countries and territories around the world. The Group owns a portfolio of well recognized and respected hotel brands including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Crowne Plaza® Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn® Hotels and Resorts, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites® and Hotel Indigo®, and also manages the world's largest hotel loyalty program, Priority Club® Rewards with over 30 million members worldwide.

InterContinental Hotels Group offers information and online reservations for all its hotel brands at www.ichotelsgroup.com and information for the Priority Club Rewards program at www.priorityclub.com.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:22 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^My friends and I were in Scottsdale last night trying out best to find AZ88 (which was quite the task) and accidentally wondered right into the Mondrian opening. My word, the women were insane looking, my friends and I just couldn't help but laugh at all the 50 year old men and their 25 year old trophy girlfriends, it was an amazing amount of walking stereotypes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^My friends and I were in Scottsdale last night trying out best to find AZ88 (which was quite the task) and accidentally wondered right into the Mondrian opening. My word, the women were insane looking, my friends and I just couldn't help but laugh at all the 50 year old men and their 25 year old trophy girlfriends, it was an amazing amount of walking stereotypes.
AZ88 is like chasing a rainbow but finding the pot of Gold at the end...
It is behind that Scottsdale Mall area by the Museum and Civic area and all that crap...

What did you think of the Mondrian though?
(Minus all the boob jobs and face lift chicks)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:33 AM

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/ind...dest=STY-83301

Waterfront, Scottsdale reach deal on art
By Lindsay Butler, Tribune
February 1, 2007
One of Scottsdale’s most valuable and prominent art pieces is a step closer to reality.

Scottsdale leaders approved an agreement Tuesday with developers of the Scottsdale Waterfront that will allow the city’s public art program to maintain a large sculpture planned on a busy corner of the private property.

When it is complete “The Doors” will be a 28-foot sculpture of three wooden doors resting against each other with mirror-polished stainless steel inside, meant to catch sunlight and create a kaleidoscope effect.

The art will stand on the southwest corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads in front of P.F. Chang’s China Bistro sometime before May.

“We know it will become a destination piece of artwork, and people are going to really love to interact with all the personalities of the piece,” said Margaret Bruning, public art associate director.

The deal marks the first time a developer donated to the city a work of art required by a private development ordinance. Passed in 1988, it requires downtown developers to dedicate 1 percent of a project’s value to an art piece.

The Scottsdale Waterfront development committed $1 million to public art, half of which will go toward the door sculpture, created by nationally renowned sculptor Donald Lipski, according to city reports.

The other half will be used for other artwork in the development.

Thanks to an easement agreement with the city, the public art program will be responsible for maintaining the artwork over the years.

Bruning said the doors will be surfaced in Ipe (ee-pay) wood, which is very dense and should hold up against the climate.

In October, the Scottsdale Public Art Board approved an additional $95,300 to add lighting, landscaping and seating to the project.

“We expect this to be a landmark, with the artwork visible to motorists, but it will mean something for pedestrians, as well,” Bruning said.

The piece is still under construction in Denver as the area’s snowy weather delayed metalwork that had to be done outside, Bruning said. It won’t be installed here until late spring.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:34 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...ng0201-ON.html

SkySong beaming with addition of 2 tenants
Jane Larson
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 1, 2007 12:45 PM

The first office building at SkySong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center, was topped off with more than its final steel beam Thursday.

Arizona State University officials announced that the high-tech project has signed two more global tenants, and developers said they have enough tenant interest to start the second building.

The newest tenants will be Ubidyne GmbH, a German startup specializing in wireless technology, and Sebit, a Turkish e-learning company. Both are expanding to the United States and will locate their U.S. headquarters at SkySong. Both are opening offices in Tempe until their SkySong space is ready.

Ubidyne will lease 5,000 square feet at SkySong and already is seeking 10 software engineers and chip developers for its Valley office. It expects to have 20 U.S. employees within 18 months and up to 50 as the company grows, chief executive officer Ken Hawk told the Arizona Republic before Thursday's event.

"There is nothing like proximity," he said. "You end up having opportunities to work together on huge problems, and having access to (the researchers) and the labs will save time and money."

Sebit has not determined its space needs yet.

They are the first European and Eurasian tenants signed, joining a Singaporean firm and two Chinese firms that committed last year.

The SkySong project, being built at Scottsdale and McDowell roads, is designed to bring together university researchers, entrepreneurial services and high-tech businesses from around the world.

The foreign firms were attracted by the opportunity to work closely with researchers and to hire skilled graduates, said Julia Rosen, assistant vice president for economic affairs at ASU.

"The main point is really that a global community is being constructed that will benefit Phoenix, Arizona and ASU," she said. "It complements the economic development goals and provides a physical infrastructure for global companies."

The second building is planned as a twin of the four-story, 157,000-square-foot structure topped off Thursday. Both will house offices, research space and retail shops.

The start of the second building also will trigger construction of apartments and a parking garage, filling the southeastern quadrant of the 37-acre site. Plans were approved by the city of Scottsdale last year.

The announcements came at a "topping off" ceremony, a construction milestone that marks the completion of structural framing and the beginning of work on the building's interior and exterior.

Most of the space in the first building has been committed to ASU and corporate operations. It is due to open this summer, in time for ASU's fall semester.

The day's news was a major highlight of SkySong's sometimes rocky history so far.

The project began in 2004 after years of disagreements doomed plans to turn the former Los Arcos Mall site into a hockey arena or big-box stores. The city and ASU worked out a deal to create a high-tech center, with the city committing more than $80 million for land and infrastructure.

Along the way, SkySong has endured criticism of its initial designs, apartment component and global ambitions.

The project would eventually include 1.2 million square feet of office/retail buildings, a hotel, apartments and a parking garage.

The two latest tenants add new sectors of high tech to SkySong.

Ubidyne, a spin-off from the German electronics giant Siemens AG, is developing a compact, efficient digital amplifier to fit in the antennas of wireless networks. It would consume less power and take up less space than current analog technology, CEO Hawk said.

It is working with ASU's Connection One research center, a relationship that helped Ubidyne choose Scottsdale for its U.S. headquarters over Austin, Texas; Silicon Valley and Cambridge, England, Hawk said.

The company was attracted by the ASU research and the pool of semiconductor talent in the area, he said.

"It's a great time to recruit people from the big companies and use their experience to make an impact on an entrepreneurial company," he said. "We see a lot of interest from top engineers because we're on the cutting edge, and the best get excited about that."

Ubidyne contacted Connection One after seeing publications of its research, center director Sayfe Kiaei said. Both are working on using digital technology to transmit and amplify radio signals, he said.

Local companies and cell-phone manufacturers are already showing interest in the work.

"If they grow and we grow, I could see some manufacturing done here or companies that want to be close to us would put people here," Kiaei said.

Sebit, founded in 1988, develops interactive education materials and lists Siemens and Coca-Cola Inc. among its corporate clients. It is working with ASU's Applied Learning Technologies Institute on a project to improve math and science education in the Turkish middle grades, with future use in other cultures.

The two came together when both were looking to expand internationally, said Samuel DiGangi, associate vice president of university technology at ASU. The ASU institute has expertise in math and science education and distance learning, while Sebit has experience in software design and data collection, he said.

"At SkySong, we'll bring them the ability to rapidly assemble groups of researchers and faculty members to apply their skills," DiGangi said. "Sebit brings us direct access to companies and developers, which would be difficult for the individual faculty member to seek out."

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:46 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftlovr View Post
AZ88 is like chasing a rainbow but finding the pot of Gold at the end...
It is behind that Scottsdale Mall area by the Museum and Civic area and all that crap...

What did you think of the Mondrian though?
(Minus all the boob jobs and face lift chicks)
The Mondrian was neat looking, we didn't go inside, just kind of circled the perimeter. Very nice looking though, I'll have to go back and check it out in the daylight. That was my first time at AZ88, I don't think I'll go back, it wasn't really my scene. The food was good, but the atmosphere just made me feel anxious, very loud techno music, pricey menu- I'm more of a dinner kind of guy.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:33 PM
-_-

wow, great news about skysong!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest