HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 3:44 AM

Great idea! It looks like Patriot's Square and the block directly east are at 1083', which means something could be built to 517' and the third block east of that is 1086', or a building with a height of 489'. Any of the blocks would be capable of carrying a new Phoenix tallest.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:20 AM

DOH! I downloaded Google Earth a while back but didn't play with it much and didn't notice the elevation feature. I hate it when I find out I had the power the whole time.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 4:30 PM

** NEW** PUBLIC WORKSHOP – December 11, 6 p.m.

This is your chance to be heard on what you want to see happen to Patriots Square!

Many of you have been asking when and how you could participate in the public process to redesign Patriots Square Park. Here is your first chance!

The City of Phoenix has set the first Public Workshop to discuss the redesign and integration of Patriots Square into CityScape for MONDAY, DECEMBER 11 at 6 P.M. AT THE PHOENIX CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS.

At this meeting, you will have the opportunity to provide your input on design, programming and integration. This public workshop is open to anyone interested in creating a new Patriots Square. Plan to attend and bring a friend!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 11:34 PM

Looks like a permit has been issued for CityScape on 12/01/06.

Permit ADDR-060700

Description/Scope of Work: ADDRESS PLAN

SITE ADDRESS:1 E. WASHINGTON ST.(THIS ADDRESS IS ONLY ASSIGNED FOR CLASS A OFFICE BUILDING OVER RETAIL).*MBRY 12-1-06* QS:10-27 ZIP:85003

BUILDING NUMBERS:

SUITE NUMBERS:

COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT:
Address will be available for permit issuance when lot division or plat is complete and Maricopa County Assessor's Parcel Numbers (APN) have been received or when all civil/site requirements have been satisfied.

A separate site/floor plan submittal to Counter 7 is required for building, unit, or suite number assignments.

Not really sure what all this means :p but hey, something is happening in the right direction it seems.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 3:53 PM

Let your voice be heard

HX_GUY posted this a few days ago but the official city site states that written comments can be faxed or e-mailed before hand. The forum had some worthy ideas concerning the park incorporation within Cityscape. Its a good opportunity for us to be heard. Here's the link:

http://phoenix.gov/NEWSREL/0512patriotssquare.html

Dec. 5, 2006

Phoenix Parks and Recreation Hosts Community Forum on Patriots Square Park

The Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting and facilitating a community meeting on the redesign of Patriots Square Park, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 11, at Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson St.

The meeting will be an opportunity for those interested in the park and downtown area to hear an overview of CityScape, a mixed residential and commercial development project slated to be built in the area of the park. Participants also will be able to learn details of the public process, see a Parks Department presentation on the park site and participate in a discussion facilitated by department staff. Representatives from RED Development, the CityScape developer, also will be on hand to participate in discussions.

Those wishing to submit written comments on Patriots Square can submit them via fax to 602-534-3787, or by e-mail online at phoenix.gov/downtown/patriots.html. All comments should be submitted with the subject line Patriots Square Input.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 10:10 PM

Patriot's Square Input

The e-mail link on the city's page to send input on the park design does not work but they do provide a fax number as well. I just faxed my input and encourage all on the forum who have strong opinions on the park's next incarnation to do the same. They ask people to state Patriot's Square Input at the top of the page. The fax number is 602-534-3787.

They plan four general public meetings over the next few months with a final plan presentation expected February 22, 2007. Here's hopin for something grand!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 5:50 AM

The City of Phoenix has put together a pretty informative website related to CityScape, which can be found here: http://phoenix.gov/downtown/patriots.html

It shows a timeline related to the redesign of the Patriot's Square Park. That's the good news. The bad news? Looks like until Feb. 22, 2007 until they will have a plan finalized, which means that new designs for the project will probably take a few months more after that...and groundbreaking? Who knows...probably summer 2007 at the earliest?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 6:35 PM

http://www.ci.phoenix.az.us/NEWSREL/...otssquare.html

Phoenix Parks and Recreation Hosts Community Forum on Patriots Square Park

The Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department will be hosting and facilitating a community meeting on the redesign of Patriots Square Park, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 11, at Phoenix City Council Chambers, 200 W. Jefferson St.

The meeting will be an opportunity for those interested in the park and downtown area to hear an overview of CityScape, a mixed residential and commercial development project slated to be built in the area of the park. Participants also will be able to learn details of the public process, see a Parks Department presentation on the park site and participate in a discussion facilitated by department staff. Representatives from RED Development, the CityScape developer, also will be on hand to participate in discussions.

Those wishing to submit written comments on Patriots Square can submit them via fax to 602-534-3787, or by e-mail online at phoenix.gov/downtown/patriots.html. All comments should be submitted with the subject line Patriots Square Input.

Media Contacts:
David Urbinato 602-262-4994
Pager 602-673-5681
Toni DiJorio 602-495-0341

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 9:25 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Did anyone make it out to the meeting they had last night? I was on my way down there when a friend called and offered me dinner, so I didn't go. If anyone went and can provide a recap, I for one would be very interested.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 1:53 AM

Turning the Corner

This really should be on the CityScape thread but it fits in with the general conversation we are having concerning the changing face of DT Phoenix. This is a conversation with one of the RED partners found on the CityScape site, under the News/Media section. It was added on 12-8 so it's recent. It fairly succinctly sums up what many of us hope CityScape will mean to DT Phoenix. I have bolded things that I think are worthy of extra attention. Comments please.

Mike Ebert,
RED Development
www.reddevelopment.com

Visit any Arizona drugstore or airport gift shop and you’ll find racks of postcards featuring cacti, sunsets, howling coyotes and the Grand Canyon. Mike Ebert hopes to add one more photo to the display—CityScape.

Ebert, a managing and founding partner of RED Development, hopes CityScape, a 2.5 million-plus-square-foot downtown development, will be the iconic project for all of Phoenix and its skyline will serve as postcard fodder for years to come. “When people are flying over the airport, they will say ‘What’s that?’ as they touch down near downtown Phoenix. This is the opportunity for downtown Phoenix to have a heart and soul.”

The three-block, Copper Square downtown project is one of the largest private investments in the state’s history—nearly $1billion to create a thriving urban development. CityScape will offer residential units, a boutique hotel, 550,000 square feet of Class-A office, 250,000 square feet of retail, more than two and a half acres of pedestrian-friendly open space and three Light Rail stops. Phase I is set to open spring 2009 and the remaining construction planned for a 2011 completion.

“Consumers want an experience now.” He says. “(CityScape’s) niche will be the one place in Arizona to have a true urban experience.”

Ebert’s vision for an urban destination perfectly matched downtown’s renaissance as the Phoenix Convention Center expansion, Arizona State University campus, University of Arizona Medical School and other projects began to take form. Building an urban hub required the collaboration of commercial real estate leaders like Cardon Development Group, Baron Collier Companies and Atlanta’s Novare Group. Ebert says downtown previously focused on government, law and banking. Now, as the Arizona Biomedical Campus and ASU campus progress, Phoenix can get the “creative type” downtown.

“Our timing couldn’t be better,” says Ebert. “CityScape can embrace diversity; suburbia tends to be very homogenous.”

Ebert’s youthful looks seem to contradict his well-established reputation throughout the state. He, with three colleagues, formed RED Development in 1995.

Select purveyors A.J.’s Fine Foods and P.F. Changs Bistro are the first retailers to commit to the project and be part of the downtown entertainment attraction.

The development will look progressive and contemporary, intermixed with an outdoorsy quality to satisfy pedestrian needs.

“There is no central spot downtown,” says Ebert. “Our goal is when someone says, ‘Let’s meet downtown,’ it’s at Central Avenue and Washington Street—at CityScape.”

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 2:48 AM

Interesting... and I'm glad RED is being so confident. But, the only way that CityScape will be fodder on postcards, or recognizable from the air, is if it is architecturally significant and a new tallest in Phoenix. If it is 3-4 pretty cool towers equal in height, it will be homogenous, which is exactly what he mocks about suburbia and says CityScape won't be.

Funny, many of us have posted comments on the CityScape website that were published where we hammer the point that the buildings need to be significant, and one needs to be the tallest in Phoenix for CityScape to really "work". It was even mentioned that there would be a windfall by being so recognizable on pictures and in TV, on postcards, and newscasts... maybe they're actually reading the comments and taking them to heart.

Seriously, if CityScape brings a new tallest to Phoenix, and a cool one to boot, I think we'd all be happy with the amount of construction we've been given downtown for at least a decade.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:05 PM

Anyone go to the Patriot's Park/Cityscape meeting held last night?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:22 PM

I did, and left early. It wasn't really what I or anyone there expected. It was a meeting where you were supposed to write down your comments and suggestions, and no voiced comments or suggestions were allowed. I think most people were dissapointed because they expected something else from it. I know I did...at least some new information on the park, or the project overall...but it was really the same old thing, sort of a meeting where you discuss other meetings.

The supporters of the park were there (aka hippies) and really I don't know if they annoy others as much as they annoy me, but it seems like they just have this agenda to just fight the system simply to fight it. Even in written comments in the "booklet" which was passed out, they kept raving on about how the park should stay public etc...and that has already been established that it will...let it go.

On a bright note, I did go to Cibo afterwards, my first time there, and it was great.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 9:59 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Even in written comments in the "booklet" which was passed out, they kept raving on about how the park should stay public etc...and that has already been established that it will...let it go.
The written comments in that booklet were the Parks Board meeting minutes from 9/29, not anything that had been sent as part of the public process period.

And besides, the issue isn't settled. I was there and spoke with Mike Ebert about the ownership issue and he said he's "pretty sure" it will remain a public park, while informing me the benefits of it becoming private. Yet a parks board member told me that there were already agreements in the works between RED and the City covering its maintenance and funding, so I don't know who to believe any more. For many basic questions, we get three different answers from the Downtown Development Office, RED, and the Parks Department.

John Chan, director of the DDO, told one of the SPP co-organizers that he's certain the park will become "an acre, acre and a half" The Parks Boards guiding principles are just that, not binding, and it is murky at best that they will actually be upheld, tho a Parks Board member seemed firm on them.

Time will tell. Personally, I'm done fighting--I've sent my comments in and am curious to see what they will come up with by the next meeting.

You are quick to dismiss a complicated issue, HX_Guy. If all departments within the City and RED were on the same page, there wouldn't be a continuing stink from some of the savepatriotspark.org people.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 10:12 PM

I'm just frustrated with the whole process. True I have never used this "park" and will never in the current state, and I'm not one that would go rally and protest in a public park.
I'm sure I'm looking at this whole thing as a much simpler process then it really is, but I see a developer that wants to take two empty parking lots and a useless park and turn it into something...and instead of digging the ground, they have to wait months and months over issues on a park.

I'm suprised RED isn't fed up yet and is saying "You know what, screw this...it's not worth it". I guess they must really believe the end product will be worth it.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:22 PM

There's a good letter in today's Arizona Republic (Phoenix section) about CityScape, essentially suggesting residents get involved in public forums. I couldn't find it online or I'd post it, but at least thought I'd say "it's there" if you want to check it out.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 9:54 PM

The 2nd public workshop on the future of Patriots park is scheduled for Jan. 11th... Here's the Cityscape link with the details...
http://www.downtownphxrising.org/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:06 PM

On behalf of the CityScape development team, we would like to wish you a Happy New Year and thank your for your support in 2006. This year will surely be an exciting one with the start of construction on CityScape scheduled to begin mid-year. But first, we continue to work on the redesign of Patriot s Park - and that's where we need your help!

PATRIOT S PARK PUBLIC MEETING #2:
WHEN: Thursday, January 11, 6 p.m.
WHERE: Phoenix City Hall , Assembly Rooms B & C, 200 W. Jefferson
WHAT: PUBLIC MEETING TO DISCUSS THE REDESIGN OF PATRIOT S PARK

The workshop will provide a presentation on progress to date, a verbal public comment period, and the opportunity for residents and stakeholders to provide written input to the city and the development team on this crucial project for the future of downtown Phoenix .

We need your public comment and support at this meeting to make sure Patriot s Park becomes what you want to see in downtown Phoenix . Plan to attend and bring your friends!

UPCOMING MEETINGS

January 25 - Parks Board Meeting
February 8 - Public Meeting #3

Please mark your calendar and plan to attend these important meetings.

We will contact you with specific times and locations, or check our website at www.downtownPXrising.org for more information on meetings or on the project itself.

Again, thank you for your support. We look forward to working with you to bring this exciting new opportunity to downtown Phoenix .

Mike Ebert
Managing Partner
RED Development
Scottsdale, Arizona 85250

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:30 PM

We Have a Date For The Prom!!!

WooHoo!!! They've actually stated a mid-year start. I might just make the trip for the groundbreaking ceremony

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
BANNED

I will definitely use Patriot park if they turn it into something cool. I'd love to be able to go there with my friends and play flag football or something of the like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest