HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX View Post
I didn't even know they broke ground on the dorms. That is great. Is that a tower crane about to go up? It looks like there is a long blue base of a tower crane resting on its side.
The blue thing is a big-ass boom crane. I assume they will have to put up a tower crane after they get higher.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 5:27 PM

The tower crane for the dorms is being erected as we speak, all that's left to do is put on the boom. It's a tower crane forest downtown! heh heh.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 6:09 PM

Can't wait to get down there and snap some pictures. Is is the retarded kind of crane like the Cronkite School is using or the traditional one like is being used on the Sheraton and 44 Monroe?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 11:24 PM

Crane - ASU Dorm

http://imageshack.us][/URL][/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 11:32 PM

still figuring out how to post images - using imageshack - sorry

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimPhoenix View Post
still figuring out how to post images - using imageshack - sorry
Downsize the image to "forum" size (640 x 400-something, I think) when uploading to imageshack.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 6:27 PM

Wow are those concrete posts part of the dorms? They are moving quick as hell on this project!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 11:37 PM
under the influence...

Boy, when you post images that big, it's almost as if you are looking at them thru a cardboard tube.

Regardless, thanks.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 1:13 AM

Cronkite School of Journalism:

ASU Dorms:

The dorms will look awesome filling this view...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 7:41 AM
Desert Urbanite

That is SOOOO cool. There are now FIVE tower cranes filling in the downtown skyline, and that makes me so giddy. I was at the gym earlier tonight and I noticed the tower crane for the dorms. Pretty cool. Can't wait!

-Andrew

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:27 PM

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty damn giddy, too. How can you not, with all the cranes and especially 44 monroe looking really great!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 9:24 AM

Updates from the ASU Dorms as well as the Cronkite School of Journalism.

It's hard to tell from the perspective of the photo, but the ASU dorm towers will be extremely thin, thinner then the Sheraton hotel tower...shorter as well of course, but the thinness should make them look taller. I can't wait till these get done, I love the green tinted glass they are using, it's something different from most of what is downtown.

ASU Dorms

Cronkite School of Journalism

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 5:52 PM

Without having to build any kind of basement or underground parking garage, they're going up pretty fast. Thanks for all of the pics.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 8:46 PM

Some information about the ASU Dorms from Capstone's website...

"The mixed use residential project at ASU’s downtown Phoenix campus includes the construction of two residential towers in the heart of the newly created campus. The project is an important addition to the urban fabric of downtown Phoenix as well as being a vital component of the campus context. The facility includes nearly 12,000 sf of retail space and an equal amount of dining space. These public first floor spaces, along with ASU staffed residential life offices and Capstone staffed facilities management offices, will open onto a 4,000 sf shade garden that is overlooked by a private student roof terrace, all connected to a public corner park that will include shade, seating and water feature(s); all knitting together the landscape plan and pedestrian experience that is being developed along Taylor Street, which the facility fronts. The towers, each 12 stories above the common first floor, will house more the 1250 students when the second tower is completed in 2009. In addition to the primary common space and dining facility below, on each floor of the towers, and connecting bridges, the students will find laundry facilities, small closed meeting rooms, vending areas, open ‘atrium’ lounges and screened porch pods along the bridge. The units are designed as a combination of shared bedroom and single bedroom semi-suites and are intended primarily for freshmen, sophomore and junior undergraduate students attending the programs offered at the downtown campus. A cast in place concrete structure combined with an aluminum composite building skin ensure a durable, attractive and low maintenance building skin. "

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 10:43 PM

The project seems very "green" doesn't it? Very cool I think.

I'm also curious to see what this aluminum composite building skin will look like.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 9:56 PM

I mentioned this in the photo thread...but how is this building going to be 110' when it's already at 3 levels complete and it's no where near 55'. The top floor/section looks to be pretty tall...but the next 2 floors are no taller then the third from the rendering.

I just can't see it being that tall, but I guess if they are saying 110'...it will be.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 10:23 PM

If the plate to plate height is about 14', that would put the top of what's built at about 42'. Add two more floors and that puts it at 70'. Then that top level could easily be 30' tall (I'm guessing that's where the production studios for KAET will be) and then add a mechanical penthouse on top of that (which probably isn't visible in the rendering) and you'll get to 110'.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 7:13 AM

http://cronkitebuilding.asu.edu/

BTW- I am watching construction at midnight and there is actually a lot of action going on right now!!
-kinda creepy...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
If the plate to plate height is about 14', that would put the top of what's built at about 42'. Add two more floors and that puts it at 70'. Then that top level could easily be 30' tall (I'm guessing that's where the production studios for KAET will be) and then add a mechanical penthouse on top of that (which probably isn't visible in the rendering) and you'll get to 110'.
you are correct

Stats

Overview

Six stories, 110-feet tall, 223,000 square feet

$71 million cost, part of $223 million bond issue approved by Phoenix voters

Ground floor retail facing Central Avenue, First Street and Taylor Street Mall

Shaded arcades under building’s perimeter to foster outdoor seating “café life”

Main entrance on Taylor Street Mall under a three-story high “front porch,” “an urban gesture toward Central Avenue, the civic space and Taylor Street Mall”

Exterior materials include glass, metal and masonry. “The composition is kinetic and dynamic – symbolic of journalism and the media’s role in our open society”

Satellite dishes on roof placed to be clearly visible to express the building’s communication function

Eight/KAET – Arizona PBS

All of floor 5 and parts of floors 4 and 6; 76,323 square feet

Digital video plant with 1.5 GB HDTV transmission reaching 1.3 million viewers

Two TV studios, including one that spans nearly 6,000 square feet, located on the 26-foot high top floor

State-of-the-art production and audio control rooms, editing suites and transmission center

Home to HORIZON, HORIZONTE, ASSET and KBAQ Production Studio

Terrace and conference rooms overlooking Taylor Street Mall

Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication

All of floors 2 and 3 and parts of floors 4 and 6; 102,592 square feet

Large two-story public forum with balconies for formal events and informal gatherings, the central element of the interior’s design
Spacious glass-enclosed student lounge/reading room off of forum

Five working newsrooms to house full immersion professional experiences for all forms of journalism and communications – TV, print, radio multimedia and PR

Two TV studios with adjoining state-of-the-art digital control rooms for daily newscasts and satellite feeds

Homes for the Donald W. Reynolds National Center for Business Journalism, the New Media Innovation Lab and a new center for new media entrepreneurship

Eight other digital computer labs for classes

A 150-seat theater-style auditorium, seven conference rooms and four other fully mediated classrooms

General University

Five classrooms (460 seats) on first floor; seven classrooms (210 seats) on fourth floor; 23,015 square feet

Source: Design-Build Team of Steven Ehrlich Architects of Culver City, Calif., HDR Architecture Inc. of Phoenix and SUNDT Construction Inc. of Tempe

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 9:28 PM

Hmm, a couple of odd things that are on the spec list that I’m wondering on. :

Quote:
Shaded arcades under building’s perimeter to foster outdoor seating “café life”.
– The odd thing is that in the renderings I don’t see were the shaded arcades are located. In the rendering the exterior seems pretty vertical with almost no overhangs. I wonder if something changed.
Quote:
Large two-story public forum with balconies for formal events and informal gatherings, the central element of the interior’s design
Spacious glass-enclosed student lounge/reading room off of forum.
– I wonder where in the building it will be located. I know they haven’t poured the remaining floors but it would seem at one point one floor will need to be skipped.
Quote:
Two TV studios, including one that spans nearly 6,000 square feet, located on the 26-foot high top floor.
– At 26 feet it would seem that the building could indeed reach 110ft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest