HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 7:48 PM

These building are going up crazy fast...

Cronkite School - 4th floor being worked on...

ASU Dorms - 3 floors completed...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 8:14 PM
Skyriser

Nice photo updates HX! I love the gray skies over downtown in the daytime. It's as if we won't dry ourselves out.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 12:15 AM

ASU civic space - update from EDAW.

Edit: grr!

Edit: I give up. Anyway, I have a really nice image from EDAW of the Civic Space they're designing. I might try this again later.

Last edited by kevininlb; Jul 27, 2007 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:49 AM

^ Is this the image you were trying to post?

--don

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:10 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
There are a few things I dislike about the Civic Space design, mainly the are labeled "C". What a waste of space. No one ever seems to use this sort of park space, look at Hance Park on either side of central, its hardscape w/ trees in rectangular planters, ever seen anyone using it? Nope. These sorts of areas are (naturally) avoided in parks, they are unappealing and don't ever seem to have a natural use. As we all know, diversity of uses and users is extremely important to parks, why not put in a basketball court? I know I keep bringing this up, but I just can't get my brain around why they wouldn't put in a half court.

Also, I know its difficult to connect the Westward Ho because the Post Office sort of puts its back to it, but I'd love to see a shaded walk way (like what seems to cross 1st Ave, Central and also Polk) from the East side of the Post Office to the Westward Ho.

Its hard to tell because the rendering is so small, but I REALLY hope there is some sort of water feature. There especially needs to be one thats interactive for children.

Anyone know what the red thing is? Some sort of shade structure I assume.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ Is this the image you were trying to post?

--don
Yeah, thanks.

I have this really awesome pdf that EDAW sent me. It has all the features highlighted. If anyone wants it, you can contact EDAW or PM me your email address. I'll try to post it later, but I was clearly having trouble doing that.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 6:59 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
There are a few things I dislike about the Civic Space design, mainly the are labeled "C". What a waste of space. No one ever seems to use this sort of park space, look at Hance Park on either side of central, its hardscape w/ trees in rectangular planters, ever seen anyone using it? Nope. These sorts of areas are (naturally) avoided in parks, they are unappealing and don't ever seem to have a natural use.
This is truly unrelated, but your post reminded me that there is a shortage of restaurants with outdoor seating in central Phoenix. The small parks would be better as gated-off beer/wine gardens. Especially with the smoking laws, it is necessary to have more outdoor eating and drinking space downtown. Also, I love bars with second/third level balconies that allow for people watching. Sure, there are a few of these places downtown, but I would really like to see the area become more of a destination for day-drinking.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 1:20 AM

Here is a bummer regarding height...

ASU Downtown Dorms

Structure Height: 145

Description of Proposal: Two H/Rise 13 Story Residential Towers
Work Schedule: 05/01/2007 to 03/31/2009

Info from FAA.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
There are a few things I dislike about the Civic Space design, mainly the are labeled "C". What a waste of space. No one ever seems to use this sort of park space, look at Hance Park on either side of central, its hardscape w/ trees in rectangular planters, ever seen anyone using it? Nope. These sorts of areas are (naturally) avoided in parks, they are unappealing and don't ever seem to have a natural use. As we all know, diversity of uses and users is extremely important to parks, why not put in a basketball court? I know I keep bringing this up, but I just can't get my brain around why they wouldn't put in a half court.

Also, I know its difficult to connect the Westward Ho because the Post Office sort of puts its back to it, but I'd love to see a shaded walk way (like what seems to cross 1st Ave, Central and also Polk) from the East side of the Post Office to the Westward Ho.

Its hard to tell because the rendering is so small, but I REALLY hope there is some sort of water feature. There especially needs to be one thats interactive for children.

Anyone know what the red thing is? Some sort of shade structure I assume.
The red object is an art piece by a world-renowned artist whose name totally escapes me atm. I'm really excited about the structure she has planned though. It's made of basically very thin ropes, woven into kind of a net and shaped and suspended by structural towers at the perimeter of the piece. The color is not set, but the height and bulk of the piece make it incredibly eye-catching, despite the fact that it will be fairly transparent (ie not tightly-woven). It's also supposed to move and react to wind, which I think will also be really visually appealing.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 7:50 PM
UrbanPHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Here is a bummer regarding height...

ASU Downtown Dorms

Structure Height: 145

Description of Proposal: Two H/Rise 13 Story Residential Towers
Work Schedule: 05/01/2007 to 03/31/2009

Info from FAA.
What a surprise.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewkfromaz View Post
The red object is an art piece by a world-renowned artist whose name totally escapes me atm. I'm really excited about the structure she has planned though. It's made of basically very thin ropes, woven into kind of a net and shaped and suspended by structural towers at the perimeter of the piece. The color is not set, but the height and bulk of the piece make it incredibly eye-catching, despite the fact that it will be fairly transparent (ie not tightly-woven). It's also supposed to move and react to wind, which I think will also be really visually appealing.
I'm not even going to pretend I know how to attach this image, but here's a close-up of the proposed artwork.

Edit: I'm dumb.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:10 PM
Skyriser

http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/ASU_civic..._july_2007.pdf

is the ASU downtown Civic Space document fromt the project's architects.

Thanks to kevininlb for emailing this to me.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2007, 11:24 PM

Sean beat me too it, but thanks for the email as well kevin.

Im looking at the art piece, its neat looking I suppose, but it doesn't look like its going to provide much (any?) shade. Does that seem like a true statement from those who have seen it in person? I'd personally prefer something that provided shade, as well as looked unique (like the SkySong thing, or that 'cloud' in Bruders big ASU proposal)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 4:45 AM

No shade, but unique? I can't even describe it!!! The artist has done some other work, described at one point in Architectural Record (while I was a subscriber) so you may be able to get an idea what it looks like. I think there's plenty of shade elsewhere on the site, the fluidity of the design really makes up for the lack of solid shade. Along with its size. Prepare to be amazed at the height and volume of this thing, I think it will be a focal point.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 7:11 PM

There is an op-ed piece about the park in today's NE Phoenix Republic. I couldn't find the article online, and I don't want to type the whole thing. The article isn't that great anyway. It did mention the artist's name: Janet Echelman. Check out her work:
http://www.echelman.com/site/photo_portugal_4.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 7:36 PM

Wow, thats......something. The only thing I can say about it is that its 'different,' but I hope what we end up with isn't just some huge mess of string and beams. It really should be some sort of shade giving structure, like I said earlier, something like what SkySong has, or even something in the vein of of whats currently at Patriots Square Park.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 8:40 PM

I hate it. What ever happened to baby steps? Phoenix is going to go from a city of no shade to this artistic futuristic shaded wonderland (which will probably turn out to really suck)? Why not go from nothing, to real shade (ahem, trees), to more real shade (more trees), then maybe throw in some of these "artistic" shade structures after all of that is actually shading people.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I hate it. What ever happened to baby steps? Phoenix is going to go from a city of no shade to this artistic futuristic shaded wonderland (which will probably turn out to really suck)? Why not go from nothing, to real shade (ahem, trees), to more real shade (more trees), then maybe throw in some of these "artistic" shade structures after all of that is actually shading people.
Wait, what do you hate? The SkySong thing? The art piece thats going in the ASU Civic Space won't really be a 'futuristic shaded thing' because, as Andrew said, it doesn't really provide shade, its just a big piece of art to look at. Thats why I'm initially down on the concept, I'd like to it to be pretty as well as functional.

Speaking of trees though, I was out at my folks house for dinner last night (NE Phoenix, Tatum/Bell) and there sure is one thing the central city can learn from the burbs: Desert landscaping. We need so much more of it in the central city, I'd love to see the suicide lanes on the 7's replaced w/ desert landscaped medians like they have in NE Phoenix/Scottsdale. I personally think the desert is beautiful (or else, why would I live here?) and the big, water sucking, non native trees that plague our inner city are a shame. There are plenty of desert, and other non native, but low water usage plants that are not only beautiful, but give shade, and I hope we see more of them popping up downtown.

And for every time a developer thinks "hey how about a palm tree?" I wish he'd replace it with a saguaro. We don't need to try to look like LA w/ palms anywhere, I mean, is there a single saguaro in Copper Square? We definitely need more of them,

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:45 PM

^ Sahuaros don't provide any shade. They are also expensive as hell, and a pain (pun intended) to move.

Better to plant some big-assed shade trees if you ask me.

--don

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:52 PM

I should have specified myself... I hate shade structures (that never turn out to work). I kind of mixed up two things that were being talked about.

But I agree with Don, shade trees please (non-desert type = better).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest