HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
For everyone saying "it's better than nothing," you realize this was not an empty lot, correct? A historic 2-story building was sacrificed in order for the City to save the rest of the block. Is a generic 19-story box better than a rehabbed 2-story historic building with affordable lofts and small business/retail on the bottom? I don't think it is. With Barrister, Luhrs, the demolished Luhrs Building, and the demolished St. James and Madison, there was a great historic bridge between the WH District and downtown. A dual-branded Marriott would have been fine on any vacant lot downtown, but wasn't worth ridding the area of the structures needed for housing things for all these guests to visit/do.
I went inside the building a few months before it was demolished and the renovations through the years had completely wiped out the interior of any historic charm and elements. I know rehabbed historic buildings that are basically open with the interior stripped to the structural elements are quite popular, and maybe the Luhr's Building could have become that, but essentially the facade was the only thing left that had any historic look or value.

Saving that would be nice, like you talk about, but the reality is a developer/business came in and wanted to get a return on their investment. A 20 story hotel has a lot more value than a 2 story rehabbed building. It's frustrating that the empty parcels we have seem to be prime for development, but never seem to be. But, if they aren't for sale, or are for sale for so much money that a developer can't pencil anything out, then the empty lots will stay that way.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I went inside the building a few months before it was demolished and the renovations through the years had completely wiped out the interior of any historic charm and elements. I know rehabbed historic buildings that are basically open with the interior stripped to the structural elements are quite popular, and maybe the Luhr's Building could have become that, but essentially the facade was the only thing left that had any historic look or value.

Saving that would be nice, like you talk about, but the reality is a developer/business came in and wanted to get a return on their investment. A 20 story hotel has a lot more value than a 2 story rehabbed building. It's frustrating that the empty parcels we have seem to be prime for development, but never seem to be. But, if they aren't for sale, or are for sale for so much money that a developer can't pencil anything out, then the empty lots will stay that way.
Downtown has just hit its tipping point, it no longer has a stigma, it is seen as a nightlife destination and a place tech companies and young people want to locate.

Its going to take time but as the demand for downtown goes up the lots will start getting developed.

Look at how good Phoenix has done over the last 3 years. Can you imagine if the economy really takes off and we get a decent few year boom? The city has done very well in a mediocre economy, it will explode in a good one.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 8:16 PM

Ideally they would have demolished the old parking garage and built the 19 hotel above 4-5 stories of new parking with a lounge/pool area on top of the renovated Luhrs building.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxhbg View Post
Ideally they would have demolished the old parking garage and built the 19 hotel above 4-5 stories of new parking with a lounge/pool area on top of the renovated Luhrs building.
Exactly. If this part of town were built out, losing a 2-story building to this would be no big deal. But, considering that a once-densely populated historic transition space has been demolished for parking and a generic tower, it's worth at least considering why the two - preservation and devlopment - can't coexist.

LRT will eventually run down Central, USAC will be redesigned, etc. and it's a shame that the Luhrs and Barrister projects couldn't be part of a bigger connection between the WD and downtown. Even better would be if a hotel on the west side might have helped the County district seem less random.

PHX31 - At the end of the day, the convo would be pretty lame if we just left it at "well, it's the developer's money and land." I understand why someone wants profit, but I think we can point to how this can be done more responsibly.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 10:07 PM

Wasn't able to get a pic, but noticed that the facade is being uncovered. A light cream-colored material (think Portland On The Park) covers more of the glass than I had hoped. I guess we'll have to wait and see the finished product before judging.

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Oct 13, 2016 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 8:23 PM

Strolled around downtown during lunch and it looks like the Marriott is finally open. Not the greatest pics but I was in a rush

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^ Exterior Rehab grants are usually done by the cities. Unfortunately, the City is out of bond money and their probably won't be another round of bonds until 2018 or 19. By that time so many different groups will be competing for the funds, I imagine they'll get stretched pretty thin.

It is as far as I know. I was just saying thats not what I was alluding to.

EDIT: VV No, of course not.

Like I said, public rollout of this has been delayed. It's not a physical project, get that out of your head.
Hate to bring up such an old ass thread but did HooverDam ever spill the beans about what this "news" what?? Did it ever occur?? LOL

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:03 PM
self-important urbanista

This is an interesting development:

There is a new hot chicken restaurant coming to downtown Phoenix, and the founder and owner of Valley favorite Lo-Lo’s Chicken and Waffles might be the one behind it.

In December, Monroe’s Chicken, a new restaurant concept offering chicken breast sandwiches and Southern side dishes, is expected to open in the Luhrs City Center, according to a news release issued by Lincoln Property Co., which manages the historic downtown Phoenix property.

The owners of the new restaurant concept have agreed on a ground-floor lease in the Luhrs City Center in a 1,766 square foot space on Jefferson Avenue next to Serafina Coffee, according to LPC. The space was last occupied by a Subway location.

LPC did not disclose ownership of the new restaurant, saying specific details were “still under confidentiality agreement.” But in May, a company named Monroe’s Chicken LLC registered with the Arizona Corporation Commission and listed Larry Warren White Jr. as the person affiliated with the company.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...142&j=83935501 (behind a paywall)

It's definitely good news for Luhrs. It's also a little surprising that Larry White would choose a location right by the proposed light rail hub. He's been consistent in his opposition to the South Central line that would pass right in front of the flagship location of Lolo's.

Last edited by exit2lef; Sep 21, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:35 PM
self-important urbanista

Hotel coming to the Luhrs building:

https://dtphx.org/2020/03/06/histori...-upscale-hotel

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

Love it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post

Don't see a single new word here. I'm excited for this, but all it's saying is what we already knew. No tenant name, no timeline.

I still wish that 9th floor was a bar and an event venue. Look at how absolutely beautiful those balconies are! Anyone know if doors open so they balconies could actually be accessed? I'm assuming with this announcement that windows will be locked and they balconies will just be decorative.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest