HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:08 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Miscellaneous Arizona/Statewide Projects Thread

Well I know Kaneui had a Flagstaff thread over at SSC (maybe you can encourage those folks to migrate here?), but I figured now that we have our own Southwest forum and we won't be making too big of a mess we could start something similar here.

Since Flagstaff probably doesn't have enough development going on to necessitate its own thread, I made this a general Northern AZ thread.

Here are some helpful sites to keep abreast of things in Northern AZ:
The Arizona Daily Sun
The Prescott Daily Courier

So feel free to discuss all the fast paced action in Chinle, Heber or wherever else in this thread.

Please enjoy some pretty pictures since I dont have any development news to post at the moment:

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:37 PM

Would love for someone from Pinetop, my hometown, to start posting. I don't get back up enough to follow things too closely. Of course, like most small towns in AZ right now, there probably isn't a lot going on.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 12:39 AM

^ Correct...Arizona's development-oriented economy is nearly comatose. There's no money to do anything...except pursue financially unsound lawsuits against targets that are nearly bankrupt. There appears to be lots of irrational litigation decisions going on right now. Good news for me but not so good for most ordinary people.

--don

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Would love for someone from Pinetop, my hometown, to start posting. I don't get back up enough to follow things too closely. Of course, like most small towns in AZ right now, there probably isn't a lot going on.
one of my best friends lives there... I go visit every now and then. They haven't built anything in years except for a new school on Porter Mountain Road, two hotels, and a roundabout. Oh, there is a new cow pasture too.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:38 AM
E pluribus unum

Flagstaff's getting a Super Wal-Mart. So...yay?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Flagstaff's getting a Super Wal-Mart. So...yay?
^And it didn't come easy--the city made them redesign it three times, and eventually whittled it down to half the size of a typical superstore (not that I'm complaining). But don't hold your breath--they still haven't broken ground yet.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
one of my best friends lives there... I go visit every now and then. They haven't built anything in years except for a new school on Porter Mountain Road, two hotels, and a roundabout. Oh, there is a new cow pasture too.
Yeah, but compared to what was there in the 70's and 80's when I was growing up, it's now like Times Square. Still can't believe there are enough students to build a new school on Porter Mountain Road.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:57 PM
BANNED

I think they are goign to have it double as a detainment center to keep them from going and doing meth and fucking each other without rubbers. Seriously, the kids up there are gross... living in double wides, doing drugs... boredom kills.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:01 PM

Stayed away from drugs, but did do a lot of fucking without rubbers. Ah, the early 80's in a small town!

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:03 PM
BANNED

yeah well in the early 80's every other person didn't have the hiv or syph.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:25 PM

This is true.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 4:04 AM

Flagstaff Getting Some Prop's

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...25/daily4.html

Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 10:33am MST

Flagstaff ranks among Kiplinger's best cities Phoenix Business Journal

Kiplinger’s Personal Finance named Flagstaff among its Best Cities of 2009 — the only Arizona city to make the top 10 list.

The U.S. cities were selected from a pool of 361 metros for solid employment opportunities as well as the talent to create new, well-paying positions. Flagstaff came in at No. 9 and was praised for a variety of reasons.

“The Old West charm of Flagstaff is infused with new energy — both from its residents and from the college students at Northern Arizona University,” Kiplinger’s said. “The university adds jobs to the city’s economy, plus arts and entertainment to its cultural scene. The government is big business in Flagstaff (Coconino County seat), as is tourism — a result of the city’s proximity to the Grand Canyon.”

Huntsville, Ala. topped the list, followed by Albuquerque, Washington, Charlottesville, Va., Athens, Ga., Olympia, Wash., Madison, Wis., Austin, Texas, Flagstaff and Raleigh, N.C.

To identify the Best Cities of 2009, Kiplinger’s teamed with Kevin Stolarick, research director at Martin Prosperity Institute, a think tank in Toronto that studies economic prosperity. Stolarick evaluated U.S. cities for their growth potential, looking not just at the overall number of jobs but the quality of the positions and the ability of cities to hold on to them when the economy softens.

“Although downturns are felt by everyone, our research has shown that the impact is less severe for those in the creative class — people who are paid to think,” said Stolarick. “People in fields such as science, engineering, architecture, and education are catalysts of vitality and livability in a city.”

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 3:42 PM

I didn't know Albuquerque was in Washington.

Flagstaff is a great place, especially during the summer. I know several people that have moved up there for jobs or more prosperity.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:10 AM
The Valley of the Sun

I think it is time to build more shops or restaurants like here in Phoenix over there in Flagstaff. Damn... there is no pei wei in Flagstafff or super walmart lol

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:40 AM
E pluribus unum

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:41 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixArizona View Post
I think it is time to build more shops or restaurants like here in Phoenix over there in Flagstaff. Damn... there is no pei wei in Flagstafff or super walmart lol
No.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Flagstaff is doing just fine in the "Anywhere USA" corporate chain department. I actually think that for a city of it's size, there is already an over abundance of such generic businesses.

I know if I were in Flagstaff, starving, with a craving for Asian food, a Pei Wei would be at the bottom of my list. Places like that can serve their purposes for some locals (I suppose), but for the most part it's the independent, unique-to-the-area spots that truly help generate a particular city's ultimate character. Especially in a smaller city like Flagstaff.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
you are the worst poster ever

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:02 PM

Quote:
I hope you're kidding about the Pei Wei and Walmart comment. Apparently you have misconception of what Chinese food is like? It's those types of restaurants that Flagstaff does NOT need.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 10:35 PM

Some friends and I went up the Payson-Strawberry-Mogollon rim yesterday, unfortunately as I was driving I was only able to take a few photos. But I did come away with this neat pano of the rim:

Click for big, I thumbnailed as to not break the tables.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest